“Rude staff and bugs in the bed” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Rude staff and bugs in the bed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was staying there for three nights but checked out after just two. The second night, I pulled down the sheets to crawl into bed and found 7-8 bugs crawling around on the sheets.

I called down to the front desk, and they moved me down the hall to another room. They brought my suitcase to the new room despite my indicating that my things may have bugs in them as they were in the infested room for over 24 hours. He said 'you're all set, you're good.' I brought them down to the front desk indicating I want them cleaned. The night supervisor, Vera, stated she went up and didn't see anything. And only cleaned my things after I insisted that I saw several bugs. Suggesting seeing one or two bugs would not be a big deal. I am unsettled by this as I wonder if they would have just released the room and put another guest in there..

The next day I along with 5 colleagues checked out and headed down the street to another hotel. The hotel claimed they were not bed bugs, but never provided me with a pest control report, despite indicating that I would receive one. The hotel manager said they would not charge me for the either night, but my credit card statement says differently.

I tried calling the hotel to sort it all out. But I was accused of being confrontational and that was why I never saw a receipt for my stay, the promised pest control report, or a letter of apology.

My colleague can vouch that these accusations are simply untrue and they were just making excuses. The front desk person who checked me in and who I checked out with were very nice. But my experience otherwise was unacceptable.

Not having any documentation to show what the bugs were, I drycleaned the majority of my clothes when I arrived home ($150), threw away and replaced my suitcase ($250), and went out and replaced the clothes and shoes that I threw away in fear of bringing bugs into my home. The least they could do in the name of customer service is comp the stay. But they insist that giving me reward points and comping the night when bugs were found (didn't sleep at all that night) is the best they could do. Trust me, won't be redeeming those points ANY time soon.

Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013
Wayne B, Manager at Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear: Yrhonor7,
I apologize that you feel we did not handle your situation properly. We are hospitality professionals who strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time. We are truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. As you indicated on your second night you found bugs in your room, our staffs responded and determine they were not harmful. This was confirmed by our license exterminator who identified them as being flour beetles. Per our phone conversation prior to you leaving town, your cloths were cleaned and your luggage treated. It was our understanding that you were refunded for one night and given the 20,000 priority club points as requested. Again, we apologize for not meeting your expectation. Thank you for sharing your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Brighton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had a very good business stay for three nights at the Holiday Inn.

The staff at this hotel was excellent; in many regards, they were right there to help, and super friendly. This included the housekeeping staff, who met my request for extra coffee above (and beyond!!!) each day.

The rooms themselves are comfortable, although not necessarily spectacularly decorated. It appeared that the decor in the rooms was a bit outdated, but it was very clean, and otherwise in good shape. The bed was extremely comfortable, with six pillows of varying firmness on a king-size bed. The rooms were also quiet; I'm used to a lot of hallway and neighboring room noise, but this was surprisingly absent during this stay.

The lobby and lounge area is also very modern and well decorated. Although I didn't eat at the restaurant or order food at the lounge, the staff there was very accommodating on using the tables.

The location of the hotel is excellent. There were many dining options within a less than 10 minute walk (in some instances much closer), and only a three-block walk to a Metro station.

The price was pretty expensive (seemed the whole area was). There are other hotel options very close, but I'm not sure of the price comparisons. The Holiday Inn definitely suited my needs fine.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kailua Kona, HI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. Easy check in. Easy walking distance to the Metro into DC but there also is a shuttle on demand, meaning they go when you want and not on their schedule. Room was clean and well maintained. Lots of outlets for the electronic gear. Lots of restaurants nearby and complimentary coffee for the Priority Club members in the morning. Parking for a price but was given 1/2 off due to Priority Club membership.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was very impressed with this Holiday Inn. The location is very convenient to DCA, I-66,restaurants,subway,business areas,etc. The staff was very courteous and professional. The hotel appeared as it had been recently renovated. The rooms were very large and comfortable. The rate was reasonable for the area. I look forward to another visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I was extremely impressed with this hotel. This was my 3rd major adventure this year. I've been to Santa Fe, Orlando, and just recently DC. The good people at the Holiday Inn Arlington at Ballston helped make this trip memorable.

After a long flight from Denver to Reagan National Airport, it was easy navigating the metro to the Ballston station which is about. 10 minute walk from station to hotel. It was a safe walk and there are plenty of places to eat along the way.

The people who work at the hotel are amazing. The front desk ladies and gentlemen will do anything to accommodate you. My girlfriend sliced her finger while unpacking luggage and we deserpately needed a band aide. The lady at the front desk worked hard to find a is a few band aides.

The rooms are very nice. A little dated with the design but we spent very little time in our room. House keeping did a fantastic job. I deeply appreciated their hard work and their friendliness.

All and all, I rate this hotel a 10 out of 10. I would recommend to anyone who is site seeing DC like we did over Labor Day weekend.

• Stayed September 2013
ATLANTA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We needed a hotel close to where our children live. The Holiday Inn had the best prices with good reviews so we booked it. Very pleasant staff, nice lobby, clean spacious rooms. Did not use the restaurant, although it did look nice. Workout room is good. Pool for dipping not for swimming. would definitely use it again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I do not normally write reviews of hotels. However my recent stay at they Holiday Inn at Ballston was exceptional. The check-in attendant was so friendly and attentive. The level of service for the breakfast was outstanding. The room was spacious clean, and quiet. I could easily control the temperature to my needs. Great stay for a tired business traveler. Thanks to the entire staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston? Share your experiences!