“Close to Reagan airport, 3 blocks from Metro” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Houston, TX
“Close to Reagan airport, 3 blocks from Metro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I wanted a hotel close to Reagan airport (because taxi fares add up!) and close to the Metro. This hotel is 3 blocks from Ballston station, and that is 8 stops to the Smithsonian and the Mall.
There are a lot of restaurants and shops that you can walk to on the way to Ballston.

The hotel is outdated, including the rooms. They were repairing the elevator when we were there. The room was pretty roomy though, a king size bed with a chair and a table. The bathroom was big too. The room had a small fridge and we kept our snacks and water there. No microwave though. The room and bathroom were very clean.

There was a pool on the second floor. I went to see it and it was small but clean. I would have use it if I had more time.

There is no free breakfast. We ate there a couple of times, it was OK, but I thought it was pricey for what it was. You can either pick hot buffet, cold buffet or a la carte. The food was eggs, fruit, yogurt and pancakes.

I would stay here again, we were out all day and just needed a place to sleep.

Room Tip: Even though we stayed in a room facing the street, it was quiet. I'm not sure if that is true du...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
York, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was a very clean, slightly dated hotel that was in a great location for DC sightseeing.
Bed was very comfortable, good shower, Keurig coffee maker in the room. Would definitely stay here again. Parking fee of $14 for our 24 hour stay.

Room Tip: 2nd floor had a gym and access to a pool, so too much foot traffic We stayed on the 3rd floor, and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Radford, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I travel to Arlington for business frequently and usually stay at this hotel. The staff are friendly and the rooms are always clean. On my last visit the power was out for the first night. They were kind enough to explain the problem to me and set me up in a suite at a hotel down the street. Provided transportation as well. Be sure to stop by the bar during happy hour. The bartender is great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I recently spent a week in Arlington, VA on business. I ended up at the Holiday Inn @ Ballston because of the price (honestly). The property is clean and well kept and it is not fancy but it is in a great location and has laundry facilities which is nice plus a fridge in your room which is also a nice amenity. I found the hotel to be super quiet as well. I did not even need my ear plugs for once.

What stood out was the staff!! Roberto in the lounge area was so pleasant and accommodating for a casual meal and a beverage. Sandy and Janet at the front desk were pleasant and made sure that I had what I needed. Even the manager Michael went out of his way to accommodate me. Great service and the friendly can do attitude of the staff at this "basic" hotel really makes this Holiday Inn a gem!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Rooms were clean, but a bit on the small side. There was a fridge, but no microwave in the room. (you could get one for $20 a day-or something like that). The pool was basic, but did have a lifeguard. Front desk staff were pleasant. The hotel was convenient to the metro and a few area restaurants. Parking was $14 a day, but you could enter and leave the lot as needed. Free wi-fi with code provided at front desk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at the HI @ Ballston for five nights for family vacation to DC. Very clean, very safe. Room was big, beds very comfortable. Shuttle service to everywhere we wanted to go in the Ballston area. First rate staff who accomidated every request. Three blocks from Metro station = easy access to DC.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ARLINGTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed this week for work, and it was a solid stay. Check in was pleasant, room was clean, staff were all very friendly. My only disappointment was the first evening I arrived fairly late, a colleague and I stopped downstairs for a glass of wine at the bar before turning in for the night. As it was late, the bar tender told us they were closing but when we asked if we could stay sitting at the bar he told us of course. The manager even came by a few minutes later to make sure we didn't need the lights turned up. Super nice!
On the second evening another colleague came in late and again we stopped for a glass of wine at last call. When we asked if it was ok to stay sitting at the bar to finish our glass a different manager refused to let us sit there, the bar tender was ok with it but she was not. She was very adamant that we could not sit in that area and would need to move to the lobby. We did but it was a uncomfortable exchange.
I am not exactly sure if there are strict rules and this is a completely open area that does not have walls. I am not sure why it made such a big difference that we moved 15 feet away and sat at a table rather then up at the bar. Go figure.
Otherwise the food was decent in the restaurant and the shuttle service is a great option for business travelers working in the area.
The rooms were clean, hallways have cool carpet, and the pool area was way better than expected. I didn't use the workout room but it looked a bit small. Already booked there again for the next meeting.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston? Share your experiences!