“Misleading” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 47 hotels in Arlington
tucson
“Misleading”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The photo looks like the building is modern steel and class...that's the building behind the Holiday Inn. The photo of the exercise room makes it look like more than it is...four aging machines. The internet is scandalous. Free, but no bandwidth. I had a family emergency overseas and couldn't use skype because the internet is so puny. The windows "open"...but only four inches and you need to apply a lot of force. The rooms are worn out. I sent email a week ahead and said I'd need a quiet room with a good chair because I'd be working for a couple of days in the hotel: I got a room next to the elevator, on Glebe, where the traffic and construction are nonstop, and the chair was painful. I wouldn't mind if the proprietors were straightforward and said, look, we're an older hotel and we'll charge less because of it, and if you want all the modern amenities go elsewhere; but instead they make it look better than it is, and that's misleading.

All that said, the hotel is clean and the staff is pleasant.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Wayne B, Manager at Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us to improve and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret that you were not satisfied with the condition of the room you received. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future. We have been trying to increase our bandwidth for several months, but have run into considerable resistance from our provider because of lack of infrastructure on their part. The good news is we now have a solution and in the very near future should have considerable complimentary bandwidth available for our guest.

358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Jackson Center, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My family stayed at the Holiday Inn at Ballston, Arlington VA in June of 2013. Property was clean and well maintained. Room was clean, and there were no odors. Front desk staff friendly & courteous. Liked security feature, that no one could use the elevators up to guest floors without a room key. Motel was also just three blocks from the metro station. We used the Metro instead of trying to drive in Washington traffic, and then try and find parking. Now- the not so good things. The airconditioning did not work in our room. The thermostat was broken. Maintenance bypassed the thermostat, which meant that the blower ran constantly in the room, and seemed to also be set at a very cold setting. If we had not complained again, they would not have put a new airconditioner unit in the room, that at least had a dial to change temperature in room. Breakfast was also not included with the room. A lot of motels now offer free breakfast. We ended up going down the street to Subway or IHOP, as the breakfast buffet was $16.00 a person. We also had to go down to the front desk almost everyday to get towels, as the maid never left the right amount of towels for the number of people staying in the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Boulder
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

A three night business stay.
The positive: service is very good. Room request was accommodated (not facing Fairfax), shuttle to NSF and Metro station etc. Small store with decent prices. Lobby bar is nice.
Needs improvement: the rooms are old, small bathroom and tired wallpaper and carpet. Like many Holiday Inn properties. The pool was ice cold, no way you could swim after work to relax.
The worst: the AC was very old and loud. I didn't sleep well at all, even with ear plugs.
I wouldn't stay here again.
The chain should invest some dollars in updates, the staff is top notch and with decent AC this could be a great place!

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear ocean35,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Wonderful experience at this quiet, clean and well maintained Holiday Inn. Very friendly staff. Excellent location. Purchased through Priceline and hope that we are lucky enough to get next time we bid in this area! Only complaint was the irons, but if we had taken the time to ask I am sure the pleasant staff would have replaced our iron with one that had the steam function working.

• Stayed May 2013
Terre Haute, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

The reception staff were wonderful and very helpful. The rooms were clean and modern. Breakfast Buffett was good and reasonably priced. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the Ballston metro station. There's a few good restaurants and bars in the area as well. I felt parking was a little pricey at $14/day for being so far away from the heart of D.C. Overall a great hotel for a reasonable price (comparatively).

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is my favorite hotel when I have to attend meetings at the National Science Foundation. The price is reasonable and includes free internet and a good desk workspace (with a comfortable desk chair). The room is clean and comfortable and includes a mini-fridge and a Keurig coffee maker with a nice assortment of coffee and tea. It's not fancy -- just your basic Holiday Inn. But the last time I stayed there, I was paying about $80 less per night than my colleagues. So, if you are looking for a good value this might be a good choice for you.

The hotel is a quick walk (about 5-7 minutes) from NSF and the metro. There are plenty of local restaurants. I haven't eaten at the one in the Holiday Inn (since I usually eat out with colleagues).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times for business and find it comfortable. The rooms are a bit dated but I can see they are in the process of updating the public areas. I hope the rooms will follow. The staff are always helpful. I have used the shuttle service a lot and the drivers (Mohamed and his colleagues) are very helpful. I never had to wait long for service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel so you are not facing the busy road.