“Good room and location, weird breakfast arrangement” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Good room and location, weird breakfast arrangement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The stay at the Holiday Inn Ballston was ok. I liked the room, bed was comfortable, the coffee machine was great and everything worked well, including the wifi. The one thing I really didn't like were the pillows, they have two types and both were very high and I woke up many times during the night with a stiff neck. The other thing is that my room had a humming noise that other customers had also reported. I turned the air con and the mini-fridge off to lower the noise but it was definitely from outside the room and I could do nothing about it. By the third night I got used to it, but the first two nights it disturbed my sleep. I didn't experience any of the great staff experience that other customers reported. I thought they were friendly but just as it is expected, nothing more. People at reception didn't even told me about the free transfer and I didn't even knew existed!
The breakfast arrangement was odd. You can opt for the buffet or order cooked breakfast from the menu. The buffet price includes only one drink (coffee, tea, milk or a small glass of Tropicana juice from concentrate). I have never seen something like this - charging extra even for milk?). So usually I had juice (wish it was NOT from concentrate) and went to the room for a coffee from the machine as it tasted better than the one at breakfast (and included in the price of the room). In the second day, I was told that if I had only cold food from the buffet it was cheaper (they didn't tell me this in the first day). However, if you used the coupons the hotel gives you for breakfast, they alter the price and either cold or hot buffet they will charge you the same amount. So even if you eat only the cold food, you are still not able to have more than one drink! Totally strange. Anyway, the cooked food from the buffet was just edible.
The hotel overall was not bad, but I am sure there are better ones around.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Ludalua,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I am happy to read you found or beds comfortable. However, I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the condition of the pillows, level of noise encountered and breakfast options. We have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is newly renovated and medium priced. The staff was very pleasant and helpful, rooms large and clean. Has a good restaurant and bar on site. We did the breakfast package...great breakfast, not only the buffet, but off the menu was not outrageously priced like most hotels. Would definitely stay here again. Easy access to Rt 66. Has parking lot (they all charge).

Room Tip: Make sure it has been renovated. They are still working on the halls.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Property is in an idea location. It's just 3 blocks to a metro stop, several blocks to the Arlington Economic Development office, and offers many choice of restaurants close by.

I would like to thank the general manager for being personal receptive and responsive to my inquiries and needs. It's rare today to receive such a quick response to personal requests. Leadership starts at the top, and with a general manager like Don leading the way, you know your stay at this property is good to be a good one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Good hotel in a prime Arlington location. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the Ballston Metro station and is immediately off of I-66. The hotel has an adequate breakfast buffet and a small bar in the evening. There is a Buffalo Wild Wings literally next door and the hotel is within a 5 to 10 minute walk from great dining and a mall.

There are a few hotels a bit closer to the metro station, but overall this is definitely a good stay within reasonable metro travel distance to DC and Arlington. I would stay there again.

Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I am a tour director with 20 years experience in the travel industry. I would like to commend the Holiday Inn staff for taking excellent care of my tour group! The front desk staff made us feel right at home upon arrival from the airport on our first night. As one could imagine, a group of 30 people booked on a 6 night stay at the same hotel can be quite a challenge. I was very pleased with the overall service... the restaurant and banquets department, the bar, shuttle service, concierge, hotel management and front desk staff all went out of their way to ensure a comfortable stay! I couldn't remember everyone's name, but I would like to commend Roberto, Janet, Sanda, Sade, Vera, Clara, and Martha. Thanks for making my job easy! I believe I speak for all... 30 happy customers... plus 1... Me! We had a very busy touring schedule each day but it was always nice to have our hotel to look forward to each evening! Again, thanks for making our visit to the DC area a memorable experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Barrington, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a prime location for this part of Arlington, I find that the price is always near the bottom end but its really a great mid level hotel. It really beats all of the 1, 2, 3 star hotels in the area and is the cream of the crop for 3 start hotels.

A few nit picky items:

1. The cabs don't always line up here, so its a little difficult to grab a cab.

2. The gaps under the door are a bit tall, so the room doesn't get "dark" enough for me to have a good night of sleep.

3. The showers are a bit small, if you leave the showerhead high, you will soak the floor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear MarkSYWong,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

First, the hotel. Good location - very close to the Ballston Metro and a 5 min walk from the NSF if you have business there. Lots of nearby restaurantsRooms (I had a king bed) are very large and spotless. Bed had 2 different types of pillows labeled 'soft' and 'firm'. Bathroom was large and nicely appointed. Rooms were quiet with very little noise from the hallway. And free Wi-Fi - not just in the lobby but in the rooms. I hate it when nice hotels scam you with 24h Wi-Fi charges. Second, the service which was outstanding. Everyone was super helpful and friendly. The most surprising thing was when my ordered room service dinner was 10 mins late and the staff member delivering it apologized profusely and said it was complimentary!! I was flabbergasted. Really terrific experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston? Share your experiences!