“Convenient choice when exploring DC” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Brussels
“Convenient choice when exploring DC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Good choice for those refusing to pay the outrageous prices for similar hotels downtown DC, but still would not want to miss out on anything the city has to offer. Its location is very convenient: only 3 blocks from the metro (and a 15 min. ride to downtown), close to the highway to Dulles Airport (30 min. drive) and a 10 min. walk to the Ballston shopping mall. The area is safe, also when returning from the metro station at night. Hotel also offers a shuttle to anywhere within a 1 mile range; this includes the metro station & shopping mall. Staff is friendly & helpful, especially at reception. Rooms are spacious but somewhat outdated, same goes for corridors, lobby and breakfast area. Don’t expect much for breakfast though: choice is limited and of questionable quality. Better skip it and start your day somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
Dear MarGio06,

I would like to express my sincerest thanks for the observations you sent me regarding services at our Hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay!
I appreciated your observations and advice. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, and comments from our guests are always welcome. I was pleased to note that you appreciated the location of our hotel, an aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests.
We thank you for having chosen our Hotel. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Our conference supposedly reserved a block of rooms here, but they were all gone for the first night by the time I tried. Stayed the first night in another hotel.

I have not stayed in a Holiday Inn for some time, and the level of this hotel was much higher than I expected. It was clean and well appointed with large rooms and all the things you expect in a nice hotel, plus free internet that worked well. Staff were friendly and helpful. It was expensive at over $200 per night with tax, but unfortunately this is Washington and it is hard to do better.

The location is a somewhat generic area of office blocks, but it's a reasonably short walk to the Ballston Metro stop. There are some decent restaurants in the area, mostly mid-upscale chains.

I was not around long enough to try the hotel's own restaurant, pool, or gym.

Jonesboro, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed one night at the beginning of April and was pleasantly surprised. I needed to come to Arlington for an interview and this hotel was close to my interview location. I am very picky about places to stay and was wary of this location because I didn't know what to expect. The location is great. I was traveling alone and felt safe enough to walk to the mall that was close by. There are a lot of restaurants nearby also. I didn't want to rent a car and I didn't miss it because of the metro stop nearby and the shuttle. The shuttle was great, I was able to take it to my interview, which was close by, and back from the mall when I didn't feel like walking back. The driver was very pleasant. It was very easy to get to the hotel by metro. The room did have some cosmetic issues, it seemed half renovated but it was not something that was a major problem since I was only staying one night. The only problem that I had was at the bar. I asked if the bartender could make a specific drink and he said yes but what he made was terrible, I also ordered dessert while at the bar and was served some cake that was dried out and hard. I felt that when I complained nothing came of it. When I checked out I was given a complimentary breakfast so I guess it did even out. The front desk staff was very friendly and if I need to come back to Arlington I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Frankfort, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed at this property for a 2 day meeting. It is an older hotel right off the interstate in Ballston. There are several places to eat and the Metro stop is about 2 blocks away. This property has no airport shuttle.. but you can catch the Metro (Blue line from DCA to Orange line at Rosslyn). The restaurant was OK for breakfast. Nothing really remarkable about this place. Bed was average...pillows were less than OK...AC was non-existant but the window opened a tad and made it bearable.
The place is under some kind of construction and the parking lot was a mess...and only valet parking was available.
Trying to find something good to say.... it was clean.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This place will never want for business because of its proximity to the National Science Foundation, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, etc., and its easy access to the sights of Washington DC.

The rooms and beds are comfortable. (I'm not fond of the belts Holiday Inn puts around its pillows to label their softness, though.)

They've torn up their parking lot, so all parking is valet, which is annoying. Plan ahead when you want your car.

I've stayed at this hotel >15 times, and the desk clerks always treat me as if it's my first time. That is, they have no memory and apparently no computer record showing my previous visits. This is a bit shabby.

Overall, though, I'll come back because it's decent and near the offices I visit in Arlington.

Worthington, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

My family and I enjoyed staying at the Arlington Holiday Inn Hotel. The employees at the Valet parking and front desk gave us a warm welcome. Especially Janet, with her smile and helped make us feel like we were at home. Since Janet has known us for a long time, we are part of her family. Our room was pleasant, clean and comfortable. Also employees at the restaurant were nice and we enjoyed the food. I recommend this hotel for everyone who travels to Washington DC.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Wayne B, Manager at Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Peiman B
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about our hotel. I have shared you kind comments to our staff and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Janet provides great leadership at the desk and the type of employee we strive to have.
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is an older property, but well kept. The rooms are clean and comfortable. What makes this a do again for me is the staff. They take care of you, from front side of the house to the back, they work to make your stay better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dadbo95
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about our hotel. We appreciate all our guest who provide feedback on their stay with use. As a frequent traveler we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provide the best in both service and quality.

Been to Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston? Share your experiences!