“Convenient location, good rate - BUT won't stay here again” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for Two
Ranked #28 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Seattle, Washington
“Convenient location, good rate - BUT won't stay here again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed here for 1 night on New Year's Eve. We got an excellent rate of $65+tax from the hotel website. Parking was another $17 but is worth it if you want to avoid the DC traffic.

The hotel is right on the Ballston GMU metro station on the orange line. There were some homeless people at the entrance of the metro, so be a little cautious.
The Ballston Mall is connected by covered walkways. The first walkway leads to the NSF and the following one to the mall.

As many reviewers have already commented, the hotel needs some renovation and very soon. The executive lounge server, Nidiya, was great. Very helpful and very attentive. I wish that I could say the same about the check-in experience but unfortunately that was disappointing.

Being a Hilton Gold VIP, I have stayed at several Hiltons and I will definitely not recommend this hotel for VIP members. Hilton hotels value the loyalty of their frequent customers and any time I check into one of the hotels, I never have to mention my status or try to "obtain" my benefits. This hotel was an exception.
First of all, no upgrades at check-in. I let that one pass since I figured that they may be fully booked. We were given our room keys and it was then that I asked about breakfast. HHonors Gold VIPs are entitled to room upgrades to the Executive level, and if not available, they always have lounge access for breakfast and receptions. When I asked the guy at check-in - "So what about breakfast?", his reply was "Oh - that is not included in the rate". Yes, I know, but I will automatically get it upon check-in. So I patiently pointed out that I was Gold VIP. His response "oh yes, well then do you want lounge access or free internet?". That's a no-brainer since I had already asked about the breakfast...
Anyway, the guy reluctantly took back the room keys and swiped them for lounge access. Normally, I wouldn't even have to ask - as soon as I checked in, the guy should have dealt with that. Looking at my paperwork I found that they had me down as a Gold VIP on the check-in documents. However, the guy just decided to ignore that fact.

And this is the reason while I won't go back to this hotel. I stay at Hiltons all over the world and not once have I had to "remind" check-in staff about my status or benefits.

So next time I am in the area, I will be staying at the Embassy Suites in Tyson's Corner. At least they value my loyalty.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
HiltonArlingtonVA, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, February 10, 2010
Happy New Year! I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of our New Years rate allowing you to stay safe and enjoy the holiday. However, we are disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations at Check In. As suspected, everyone took advantage of the low rates, leaving us with a full house. I will personally investigate the issue further so that we can provide the guest service manager with additional training. However, it is always a good idea to confirm that your Hilton Honors Number is attached to your reservation when you receive the confirmation email.

443 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

As other reviewers have noted, the hotel is starting to show some wear and tear from the years, but it is a very convenient location is one has business at the NSF. A great choice for the solo business traveler (who is also able to book at US government rates), but perhaps not so good for someone looking for a big lobby where kids can run around a bit. The hotel is also connected to an enclosed mall area with easy access to a little deli, and is right on the Metro.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Thanks for your recent stay and feed back! Not only are we close to the National Science Foundation (NSF), but we have many other organizations all within walking distance to our hotel, making us a preferred hotel for many business travelers. With 210 rooms, we feel our lobby is just the right size allowing us to create a more personalized guest experience upon arrival. And having the Mall, Metro, and Restaurants in the neighborhood are only a few of our favorite features.
Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

My family stayed here while visiting relatives during the Thanksgiving holiday. The hotel is a safe pick if you are looking for decent and reasonably priced accomodations. With most Hilton hotels, the decor is modern with a classic touch. The lobby area is inviting and our room was spacious. The bathrooms are outfitted with a granite vanity and ceramic tile. The closet space is more than adequate for a family of three and that doesn't include additional drawer space. The beds are comfy- not too soft and not too firm. The room is equipped with a large flat screen television, coffee maker with an assortment of coffee and teas, and extra large chair and ottoman. Our experience here was like a temporary home away from home. The Ballston area mall is attached to the property and the orange line metro is literally steps away, too. There is a gourmet pastry, sandwich/coffee/candy shop named Tivoli on site, too. There are also tons of restaurants within walking distance- Mexican, American, Japanese, steakhouses, etc. The property is surely worth considering.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

We have stayed in this hotel a number of times and love it. The location is perfect as it is right over the metro into DC and you get the benefit of being close to DC but without DC prices. We traveled with our baby and my in-laws and we were given connecting rooms which was perfect. Also our room was extra bid and could easily accommodate a pack n play.

Ballston is great with a mall and lots of restaurants. Also it feels safe unlike other places in DC where I have stayed.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
HiltonArlingtonVA, Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, November 13, 2009
Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to the Hilton Arlington, VA. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit. Our location, Metro access, and proximity to over 60 restaurants and historical monuments, make us a perfect choice for a weekend get-a-way to the Nation’s Capital. We look forward to your next visit!
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Stayed at the Hilton in Arlington for three nights in October. It is well located for business, if u have business in Arlington and very close to the metro. The hotel only had one elevator working, and we were a rather large group, upwards of 100 people at times. The halls are dark, the rooms ok, but not great. The price was right, but they certainly do need an overhaul.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback. We do agree that our location is ideal for our business travelers, as we are located among many Corporations, Associations, and Government offices. With the Metro access just at our front doors, it is easy to reach your destination.
In regards to the elevators, all of us know too well that remodeling never seems to fall on schedule. It is never our intent to inconvenience our guest and in this case the problem was out of our control. We sincerely apologize. The work has been completed and we think you will be very happy with the finished product. In respect to the hallways, they will be part of a focused renovation in 2010. We think you love that finished product as well. We hope to show you!
Rockport, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

I will admit that my value rating is based on the fact that I used Priceline and therefore got a very good rate. But that wasn't the main reason that I was so happy with my stay at the Hilton. We ended up arriving very late, and my call to confirm my late arrival was met with a very hospitable and warm welcome. When we finally got to the hotel and was shown to our room, it became clear that we were in the middle of a "wedding party" that was intent on partying until throughout the night. We placed a quick call to the front desk and explained the situation and got an empathetic and very accommodating response -- a new room key delivered to us within minutes, and we slept very soundly on their amazingly soft bedding. Everything was as good as you could expect (except for the elevator service... I think one of them wasn't working) from the parking convenience to the staff accommodations. We didn't get to try breakfast or anything else (we didn't have the time) but for a night's sleep it was the best choice we could have made. And the location is perfect!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We do have very dedicated Front Desk Agents, who all take pride in providing quick and efficient service to each guest. I am glad that they exceeded your expectations so that you were able to get a great night’s rest.

Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

I have never had such a terrible experience with a hotel. I reserved a King Bed Suite on the Club Level 3 weeks before my family was coming to Arlington. When my family arrived to check in, the hotel staff informed them that we did not reserve a king size suite, but since we had 2 small children, they would give us a handicapped room for some additional space. When I called to tell them that I had a copy of the email confirmation stating we had a king suite, they said I must be mistaken, and put me on hold for 15 minutes. Long story short, it took 30 minutes on the phone, tons of attitude from the front desk, and threatening to stay somewhere else before they finally moved my family to the room we originally reserved. There were other problems with the front desk, as well, but it's not even worth going into detail. All I can say is that I would never recommend staying here, and I can't imagine ever dealing with another Hilton again.

If you are coming to the Arlington area and want to stay in the Ballston-Virginia Square area, do yourself a favor - either stay at the Westin a couple blocks down, or just rent a car and stay anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
HiltonArlingtonVA, Hilton Arlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, January 12, 2010
While we are happy that you eventually got the accommodations that you wanted there is no excuse for attitude and lack of service or any delay in getting what was promised. Our General Manager is taking names over this experience and would like to personally invite you back.

Been to Hilton Arlington? Share your experiences!