“Older hotel that needs renovation” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Online and Save 20%
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Ottawa, Ontario
“Older hotel that needs renovation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed at this hotel at the end of May, when it was quite humid in the DC area. The A/C was not very good in both the rooms or the hallways. I had to keep adjusting the temperature because the A/C would always stop. And every time it started up again, it was noisy and annyoing. There are two elevators and one broke down while we were there. Even though it is not a big hotel, I had to wait a long time for the functioning elevator to get to my floor (I was on the 7th floor). And then, it would be a long ride down because it would stop on every other floor, picking up guests. The gym is small and not very well ventilated. Also, this hotel does not have a proper business centre. There are some computers located in the lobby for public use. However, it is merely for checking email or surfing the net. You can't print a document. Luckily, one of the staff at the front desk agreed to print my document for me because it wasn't too long.

On the positive side, the location is pretty good. I had to go to a business meeting, located in a building nearby. The hotel is very close to the Ballston Metro station - this was very convenient. In general, I found hotel staff to be very friendly.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

During my last stay, the air conditioner broke (which happened 6 weeks previously on another trip), and DC in JUL is very hot so staying in room (where the window did not open) was not an option. I had to be moved SEVEN miles to another hotel. While discussing this with the front desk, 3 more people had the same problem. I asked the hotel to help me find another hotel for the next night, and they said they would, and I specifically told them to call me with their proposed plan as I was not going to spend another night 7 miles outside the city. They never called me about another room, so I had to find one on my own. Then I get a credit charge notification that my card had been charged by yet a third hotel for the same night - one that I did not stay in , nor ever knew about. The hotel essentially broke the law and gave my credit card # to a third party hotel, without my knowledge or consent. The manager never returned my calls, nor made any attempts to rectify this problem. Nor did Hilton Honors. Shame on Hilton for both bad customer service as well as fraudulent credit card use. I will never stay at another Hilton.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We loved this hotel! It made our trip to DC the perfect vacation! The metro station is right outside the door. There are plenty of places to eat and shop right there at the Ballston Common Mall which is connected by walkway to the hotel. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staff was excellent! They were very friendly and extremely helpful with all of our needs from forgotten supplies to directions around the city.
I can't say enough good things about this hotel and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is visiting DC either on business or leisure.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
los angeles, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

Because I was taking part in a meeting also being held at the hotel, I didn't even leave the premises for almost 3 days. In that time, I was very impressed by the high level of service and attention provided by the staff. When we needed extra chairs for our meeting, they were immediately brought. When I needed a non-feather pillow, it was brought to my room within ten minutes, with a follow-up call to make sure it had arrived. Similar experiences with the food service - both with regards to the business catering and the room service.

The room itself was nicely appointed and very clean. Lots of feather pillows - if you like them - and if you don't, they will provide foam pillows. The air-conditioner was reasonably quiet for the typical hotel fan-coil system - although I still ended up shutting it off at night so I could sleep. I think one of the other reviews mention the lack of mini-fridge and in-room safe - and I would echo their remark that the lack of these increasingly common amenities was somewhat surprising. Ditto the high cost of WiFi - $10.95 for 24 hours. It seems that the more you pay for hotels, the less you get these days. Why is that?

I would recommend this hotel for business, but for vacationers it might be a bit lacking in character and interest.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Oslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

Very comfortable Hilton hotel in a great location if visiting Washngtin DC. Recenty stayed here for 7 nights for what was on the whole a very pleasant stay. The best rate I found was on the hotel's own web site (advance pre-paid rate).

If flying into National airport, very straightforward to get to hotel via the easy to use metro system. Note that you should only use the metro if you are easily able to carry all of your luggage - you will need to make one interchange and navigate a few escalators. The hotel entrance is vitually at the top of the escalator once you leave the Metro at the Balston stop on the orange line. Just walk straight into the Balston Metro Center and the hotel entrance is right there.

The double bed sized room was vey spacious with adequately sized bathroom. Very comfortable bed with 5 pillows. If you suffer from any kind of feather allergy then make sure that you request non-feather pillows. Fair sized flatscreen TV with large number of free TV channels and the usual offering of pay per view. The AC was easy to control (and essential for any stay during the summer months), but could be very noisy. I have stayed at other hotels where the AC is much more discrete but equally as effective.

Other facilities in the room included the welcome tea/coffee making facilities and the tea/coffee always topped up every day. Notable by its abscence were the inroom safe and mini-bar. I always find the mini-bar useful, not for the overpriced contents, but having somewhere to keep your own water/pop supplies chilled. High speed wifi internet is available in the room, but this costs extra. At $10.95 for 24hrs the cost is reasonable. Note that there is free wifi access in the hotel lobby.

Checkin was quick and friendly. The only kink in the otherwise helpful and friendly service was when I asked about booking a taxi to National airport. I was handed the business card of a local limo service and told to go book myself. No big deal, but in my experience most hotels will offer to book a taxi for you. Found out afterwards that there is a taxi waiting area just outside the hotel's"other" entrance.

The restaurant adjoining the hotel offers a fair priced buffet breakfast, with good selection of hot and cold foods, cereals, fruits...etc. Alternative breakfast choices included a Starbucks and bistro/cafe adjoining the hotel and a 24hr IHOP just across the street. One point worth noting on eating out. The sales tax in DC for restaurant meals is 10%. In Virginia this is only 5%

Accessing downtown DC is a direct 15-20 mins metro ride away, with the Smithsonian stop on the same metro line. Arlington Cemetry requires one interchange. Only two blocks from the hotel, accessible via covered walkway, is the Balston Common Shopping Mall which offers a fair selection of shops, eateries, a Macy's and a cinema multiplex. For more upmarket shopping there's The Fashion Center at Pentagon City shopping mall, a short metro ride away.

I would definitley consider staying here again on any furture visit to DC and wouldn't hesitate recommending to anyone else.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
HiltonArlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, July 7, 2009
Your note about tax rates will definitely help other travelers. You also saved quite a lot on your hotel room, because hotel tax is only 10.25% in Arlington, Virginia, instead of 14.5% in Washington.

There is not much I can add to your comprehensive review. You have given a step-by-step guide to booking and enjoying your stay in the Washington DC area at the Hilton Arlington. Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to provide a review.

--Mark Driscoll, General Manager
Tri State area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Completely lucked out when I booked this hotel online (found out name after booking). Hotel location is steps away from Metro (Orange line) which was a top consideration when planning this trip to DC. Hotel parking fee was steep ($17 daily) so parked at Ballston Mall parking garage for $8 daily Mon-Fri and $1 on Sat and Sun. No problem leaving car consecutive days without moving it. Mall is connected to hotel and metro station via a Skywalk so never had to go outside.

Appreciated the 'No Smoking' feature this hotel offers. Room was a decent size with a standard bathroom (no exhaust fan but steam disappeared quickly). Beds were extremely comfortable (better than mine at home!) with 4 pillows per bed. Flat screen TV was great. Air conditioning easy to control but a tad bit noisy. One maintenance issue was handled within minutes of call. One weird thing: the windows have 2 sets of curtains: sheers that extend the entire width of the window and heavier drapes in front - but the drapes do not cover entire window! There's a large gap that lets the light in daily. Fortunately we are sound sleepers so it didn't bother us.

There's an I-Hop across the street and a coffee shop steps from the hotel lobby. We had breakfast at both places during our stay. Lots of other eating places in the immediate area plus at the mall.

There were two computers with free Internet for guests to use which was ideal when needing to quickly check email and look up information online. Joel from Cuba was the concierge who helped guests when I was there and he was great. We would like to recognize Tim Fraiser, the front office supervisor, for superior customer service. He made sure we obtained a boarding pass on Southwest Airlines 24 hours in advance while we were a few miles down the road touring Mount Vernon, unable to access the Internet.

When returning to DC, I will book here again. It's a great hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
We like to think all our guests are “lucky” to have found us also.

Parking in Arlington, while much cheaper than Washington DC, is not inexpensive. You’ve shared a great secret with Trip Advisor readers who don’t mind walking a couple blocks. We would like to share with you that the rooms have black out drapes, but they can be hard to find. They are actually hiding behind the window shears, next to the window.

Thanks for the A+. Summer school is in session, and we’re always looking for good grades

--Mark Driscoll, General Manager
Yorktown, VA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

4 night stay for business. Room was clean and comfortable. Two small maintenance issues were handled quickly by the staff. The fitness center is small but nicely done. The exercise machines were in very good shape. The location above the Metro station makes it easy to get around.
There are a number of good restaurants, bars and shops within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
HiltonArlington, Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, July 7, 2009
We appreciate the four C’s: clean, comfortable, courteous, and convenient.

Thanks for mentioning the nearby restaurants. While we would love if every guest would try out our Dan & Brad’s Restaurant, we know that is not always possible. Among our staff, we love Uncle Julio’s Rio Grande Café for great Tex-Mex, Willow for a fine dining experience without attitude, and P.F. Chang's. Our front desk has a great list of nearby restaurants and a special map. Of course, our favorite will always be Dan & Brad’s.

--Matthew Stone, Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Hilton Arlington? Share your experiences!