“not your typical hilton hotel,but wonderful stay” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Online and Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
houston,tx
“not your typical hilton hotel,but wonderful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

My husband had enough Hilton Honors points to cover our stay ,so I can not tell you about the prices,but overall we had a very good stay.This hotel is not your typical Hilton,and to me it is more like a boutique hotel,but though it lacks certain amenities seen at other Hiltons ,the staff was outstanding.( everybody was so cordial and friendly).
The location was really great on the metro orange line.We had a suite which was really handy since we had our 2 little boys with us...the room was not that remarkable ,but the bed was great...The Breakfast buffet was actually pretty good also.The parking was a bit expensive for $17 /day,but what do you expect in the Washington area?
Overall we had a great stay,and would come back again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
HiltonArlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, April 10, 2009
Thank you for your business! As a smaller 209-room hotel in a vibrant neighborhood, we think we share many of the same values of boutique hotels. Our guests never feel lost in the crowd, and I’m glad you noticed our friendly staff.

While our parking rate seems high, it does compare favorably with other hotels here in Arlington, and especially Washington DC. The great thing is that once your car is parked, you can ride the Metro into Washington for less than $1.50.

--Mark Driscoll, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

I stayed a couple of nights on business in the neighborhood. The hotel is a bit unconventional for a Hilton as it has practically no lobby. Instead, it opens onto the mall right around the Metro exit - in fact you don't even need to step out from under the roof to get between the two. This makes it very convenient - the Metro is one of the better subway systems in the US. The stop is a bit out on the orange line from the center of DC but you sort of make up for that by how little time you spend walking between your room and the station.

The room was comfortable and quiet. Not much of a view at all. Staff were quite friendly, both front desk and cleaning staff, who happily gave me extra tea and cream for my room coffee maker.

There's lots of restaurants in the area, including a food court in the mall and there's a 7/11 across the street as well

Why do hotels like this charge for Internet access? It seems so petty. Ironically, the cheaper the hotel, the more likely it is to include Internet.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
We are always delighted to hear comments like yours. We are certainly not a huge hotel, and due to our size, we are able to give personal attention to each guest. As you mentioned, we are part of the Ballston Metro Center, 27 steps from the Metro, but we are also only 27 steps from Starbucks and two delis. On the Metro, a ride to Washington DC (Foggy Bottom/GMU metro stop) is about 11 minutes, and Federal Triangle (1 block from Smithsonian’s Museum of Natural History) is 16 minutes. We like to say that we are closer to DC’s attraction’s than many hotels in DC, since, as you mentioned, we are so close to the Metro, and you can be door to door in less than 20 minutes.

As there is a substantial cost in setting up a hotel’s internet service, we charge a nominal fee. Many limited service hotels provide free internet, but they may not have as large of bandwidth as our hotel. However, in response to guest feedback, we provide complimentary internet in the restaurant and lounge, as well as our new executive lounge. This winter, we also added a business center in the lobby to check email quickly and conveniently.

Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

I stayed at the Hilton Arlington in July, 2008, and thought it was a marvelous location, and at a very reasonable price. The staff was exceptionally nice, the location convenient (to metro, and walking distance to good restaurants, close to the airport) and the rooms comfortable. I am planning to go back to DC in late April 2009, and planned to stay at the Hilton Arlington again. My original plan was to stay a Friday and Saturday night, at approx. $150/night per Hilton.com. It now looks like I can extend my stay until Monday, so wanted to add a third night. Much to my surprise, when you try to book three nights on Hilton.com, the price goes up to approx. $250 a night -- for all three nights!! I can understand the cost of Sunday night being higher, hey, it's the start of the business week. But the price was actually changed for all three nights, so a stay that was originall $300 for two nights, was now going to be $750 for three. When I called the Hilton toll-free number, I was told that "we charge by check in and check out dates". When I inquired why I couldn't have $150+$150+$250=$550 for the three nights, the rep said "our rates are based on check in and check out dates". Even a conversation with a supervisor got me no further. When I asked about adding a day at the end of my stay, but only booking for two nights, she said that I'd be forced to check out on Sunday, then wait for check in time on Sunday -- they'd actually release my room, clean it, then put me in another room! This frustration at an impossibly senseless rate process has motivated me to stay elsewhere -- a shame, because I really wanted to return to the Hilton Arlington, and stay three nights, not just two!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
HiltonArlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, March 30, 2009
Thank you for selecting the Hilton Arlington as your preferred hotel when you stay in the Washington DC area. We would be delighted to welcome you back and want to ensure you have another pleasant experience. We understand your questioning the rate difference when you attempted to add the additional night to your stay. As with all hotels, our room rates are subject to availability and often change on a daily basis depending upon the number of rooms we have available to sell. Our Hilton reservation system is a little complex and as the agents explained, the rate provided takes that Sunday (a typically busier night) into consideration when quoting rates. Unfortunately, our system does not always permit offering an average rate for multiple nights. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and would like an opportunity to remedy the situation. Feel free to contact myself directly when making your next room reservation. We look forward to having you as our guests again.

Cary, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

My 16 yr old daughter and I stayed at the Arlington Hilton this past weekend. The hotel was nice enough but we had to call the front desk twice to complain about noise in a room a few doors down from us. There were a bunch of men in one room who were yelling very loudly and obviously having a large party. Security did go to quiet them, but they started up again. They also started yelling again in the morning. I called the front desk again to tell them that the people were out of control and that I had called before, I did not even get so much as an apology.

The walls or doors are just too thin. I understand that it is a hotel in a fun part of town, but I did not feel we needed to hear all of the conversations in the hall, either. We heard numerous people saying their 'good nights' and every thing else.

My other complaint is that none of the doors automatically open. Trying to get our luggage through the doors was a pain and there was not a door person to help us in or out.

The hotel automatically charges $17 per day for parking, but thankfully I was smart enough to realize that the parking is shared with other businesses. If you park for less than 12 hours it is only a $9 charge. We arrived late and I knew we would leave before 12 hours so I told the hotel we did not have a car to save the cash.

For the price I will stay next time at a Marriott or Kimpton hotel. The rooms are nicer and noise is not typically a problem in either of those brands.

As far as internet is concerned: there is a charge for internet (had to call the front desk to find out the fee) but you can go to the coffee shops down stairs for free internet.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Our 24-hour security staff is always on hand to deal professionally with situations like this, which can occur at any hotel. Please accept my personal apology (a little late now, I know). We do our best to limit situations like this and address them promptly, and it looks like we may not have lived up to our own expectations. Your comments have been provided to our director of security and front office for additional training.

You also mentioned an important point about our internet. We happily provide it for free in the restaurant and lounge for our guests.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

I stayed overnight at the Arlington Hilton and really enjoyed the experience. The location is very convenient, right above the Metro and close to Ballston Common mall. The front desk staff was efficient and accomodating and made sure that I had everything I needed.

The room was clean and comfortable and the large flat screen TV was great. There is still some work being done on the property, it looks like, so some areas are nicer than others.

Breakfast at the on-site restaurant was great. I ate too many biscuits with sausage gravy...we don't get that good southern cooking in New York City where I live.

You can also get a discounted rate for the gym at Ballston Mall, which is very nice and which I used during my last stay. However, the hotel is also very close to the Custis Trail, so if you are into running or biking, you are in a prime location to do that outside.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
HiltonArlington, Director of Sales & Marketing at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, March 30, 2009
We appreciate your feedback. You will be pleased to know that the flat screen TV’s are in all guestrooms now, our complimentary onsite Fitness by Precor Fitness Center is now open, in addition to brand new lobby furnishings.

You noticed that our hotel is great for fitness lovers. Our new fitness center has brand new equipment with personalized TV sets on each machine & complimentary headphone use. You also mentioned the discount rates we offer at the Ballston Sport & Health Club, attached to the hotel by skywalk.

The Custis Trail is just a couple blocks away, and I take advantage of it to go running or biking several times a week. Did you know that it connects to a network of over 20 miles of trails? BikeArlington can provide you more information about all the trails. Within 4 blocks, you can also find 6 tennis courts at Quincy Park, an olympic-sized indoor swimming pool at Washington-Lee High School, and an ice rink at the Kettler Capitals Iceplex in the Ballston Common Mall. All are available to the public.

Now, there’s need to worry about eating too much biscuits & gravy. You can always get in a good workout.

--Matthew Stone, Director of Sales & Marketing
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

My husband, 9-year-old granddaughter and I stayed here for four days in December while doing a little D.C. sightseeing. We had a wonderful stay here. The front desk staff, as mentioned by many others, were the highlight of the stay. They were friendly, helpful, and the cookies and apple cider at the end of bitter cold days couldn't be beat. We had kind of a bizarre incident happen the first night, and the staff took care of the situation immediately and even gave us an unexpected compensation in the form of a free breakfast. I felt it was customer service above and beyond.

The location right above the Metro station was a welcome relief at the end of long days. The rooms were large, and the beds were very comfortable. The next time I'm in D.C. I will head right back to the Hilton.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HiltonArlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, January 15, 2009
We are quite pleased that you enjoyed your stay and are anxious to welcome you back on your next visit. We can’t promise warm weather, but we can promise a warm welcome! Many of our guests could take some advice from you and visit in the winter. Winter is one of the least crowded times to visit Washington, with little or no lines in museums or the top restaurants. Our average high temperature is 48 degrees in December, which is quite moderate considering most of your time will be spent indoors at the museums, cafes, and visitors centers. Since we’re only 27 steps from the Metro, you don’t even need to worry about a long walk to the subway.
Oakland, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

I stayed at the Hilton Arlington from October 17th to October 19th. I must relate a story about customer service at this Hilton. I arrived on Friday night and parked in the hotel garage. The next day I discovered that my tire had a slow leak. I went to the front desk to ask about a garage. Upon hearing my story, the front desk supervisor and a maintenance employee helped me put the spare on my car so I could drive it to a tire shop.

These guys were angels as I could not have done this job myself!. Talk about customer service- and they could not have been nicer or kinder about the whole situation!

Although that was the topper I can recommend this hotel for a stay in the DC area. It is a seven minute drive to downtown (weekends) and the weekend price is more than reasonable for an upscale hotel. The rooms are nicely done and I like the Arlington area.

While in the DC area I've always stayed downtown but that has changed with this visit.

• Liked — Comfortable room and bed
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HiltonArlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, December 19, 2008
What a remarkable story! Thank you for expressing your gratitude. We are proud of our employees and their excellent service. Alphonso, our front office supervisor, has been one of our top-notch employees for many years, and hearing comments like yours makes us even prouder.
--Mark Driscoll, General Manager

Been to Hilton Arlington? Share your experiences!