“Loved it but won't stay again -- crazy pricing structure!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Online and Save 20%
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Birmingham
“Loved it but won't stay again -- crazy pricing structure!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

I stayed at the Hilton Arlington in July, 2008, and thought it was a marvelous location, and at a very reasonable price. The staff was exceptionally nice, the location convenient (to metro, and walking distance to good restaurants, close to the airport) and the rooms comfortable. I am planning to go back to DC in late April 2009, and planned to stay at the Hilton Arlington again. My original plan was to stay a Friday and Saturday night, at approx. $150/night per Hilton.com. It now looks like I can extend my stay until Monday, so wanted to add a third night. Much to my surprise, when you try to book three nights on Hilton.com, the price goes up to approx. $250 a night -- for all three nights!! I can understand the cost of Sunday night being higher, hey, it's the start of the business week. But the price was actually changed for all three nights, so a stay that was originall $300 for two nights, was now going to be $750 for three. When I called the Hilton toll-free number, I was told that "we charge by check in and check out dates". When I inquired why I couldn't have $150+$150+$250=$550 for the three nights, the rep said "our rates are based on check in and check out dates". Even a conversation with a supervisor got me no further. When I asked about adding a day at the end of my stay, but only booking for two nights, she said that I'd be forced to check out on Sunday, then wait for check in time on Sunday -- they'd actually release my room, clean it, then put me in another room! This frustration at an impossibly senseless rate process has motivated me to stay elsewhere -- a shame, because I really wanted to return to the Hilton Arlington, and stay three nights, not just two!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
HiltonArlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, March 30, 2009
Thank you for selecting the Hilton Arlington as your preferred hotel when you stay in the Washington DC area. We would be delighted to welcome you back and want to ensure you have another pleasant experience. We understand your questioning the rate difference when you attempted to add the additional night to your stay. As with all hotels, our room rates are subject to availability and often change on a daily basis depending upon the number of rooms we have available to sell. Our Hilton reservation system is a little complex and as the agents explained, the rate provided takes that Sunday (a typically busier night) into consideration when quoting rates. Unfortunately, our system does not always permit offering an average rate for multiple nights. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and would like an opportunity to remedy the situation. Feel free to contact myself directly when making your next room reservation. We look forward to having you as our guests again.

--Mark Driscoll, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Cary, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

My 16 yr old daughter and I stayed at the Arlington Hilton this past weekend. The hotel was nice enough but we had to call the front desk twice to complain about noise in a room a few doors down from us. There were a bunch of men in one room who were yelling very loudly and obviously having a large party. Security did go to quiet them, but they started up again. They also started yelling again in the morning. I called the front desk again to tell them that the people were out of control and that I had called before, I did not even get so much as an apology.

The walls or doors are just too thin. I understand that it is a hotel in a fun part of town, but I did not feel we needed to hear all of the conversations in the hall, either. We heard numerous people saying their 'good nights' and every thing else.

My other complaint is that none of the doors automatically open. Trying to get our luggage through the doors was a pain and there was not a door person to help us in or out.

The hotel automatically charges $17 per day for parking, but thankfully I was smart enough to realize that the parking is shared with other businesses. If you park for less than 12 hours it is only a $9 charge. We arrived late and I knew we would leave before 12 hours so I told the hotel we did not have a car to save the cash.

For the price I will stay next time at a Marriott or Kimpton hotel. The rooms are nicer and noise is not typically a problem in either of those brands.

As far as internet is concerned: there is a charge for internet (had to call the front desk to find out the fee) but you can go to the coffee shops down stairs for free internet.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Our 24-hour security staff is always on hand to deal professionally with situations like this, which can occur at any hotel. Please accept my personal apology (a little late now, I know). We do our best to limit situations like this and address them promptly, and it looks like we may not have lived up to our own expectations. Your comments have been provided to our director of security and front office for additional training.

You also mentioned an important point about our internet. We happily provide it for free in the restaurant and lounge for our guests.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

I stayed overnight at the Arlington Hilton and really enjoyed the experience. The location is very convenient, right above the Metro and close to Ballston Common mall. The front desk staff was efficient and accomodating and made sure that I had everything I needed.

The room was clean and comfortable and the large flat screen TV was great. There is still some work being done on the property, it looks like, so some areas are nicer than others.

Breakfast at the on-site restaurant was great. I ate too many biscuits with sausage gravy...we don't get that good southern cooking in New York City where I live.

You can also get a discounted rate for the gym at Ballston Mall, which is very nice and which I used during my last stay. However, the hotel is also very close to the Custis Trail, so if you are into running or biking, you are in a prime location to do that outside.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
HiltonArlington, Director of Sales & Marketing at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, March 30, 2009
We appreciate your feedback. You will be pleased to know that the flat screen TV’s are in all guestrooms now, our complimentary onsite Fitness by Precor Fitness Center is now open, in addition to brand new lobby furnishings.

You noticed that our hotel is great for fitness lovers. Our new fitness center has brand new equipment with personalized TV sets on each machine & complimentary headphone use. You also mentioned the discount rates we offer at the Ballston Sport & Health Club, attached to the hotel by skywalk.

The Custis Trail is just a couple blocks away, and I take advantage of it to go running or biking several times a week. Did you know that it connects to a network of over 20 miles of trails? BikeArlington can provide you more information about all the trails. Within 4 blocks, you can also find 6 tennis courts at Quincy Park, an olympic-sized indoor swimming pool at Washington-Lee High School, and an ice rink at the Kettler Capitals Iceplex in the Ballston Common Mall. All are available to the public.

Now, there’s need to worry about eating too much biscuits & gravy. You can always get in a good workout.

--Matthew Stone, Director of Sales & Marketing
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

My husband, 9-year-old granddaughter and I stayed here for four days in December while doing a little D.C. sightseeing. We had a wonderful stay here. The front desk staff, as mentioned by many others, were the highlight of the stay. They were friendly, helpful, and the cookies and apple cider at the end of bitter cold days couldn't be beat. We had kind of a bizarre incident happen the first night, and the staff took care of the situation immediately and even gave us an unexpected compensation in the form of a free breakfast. I felt it was customer service above and beyond.

The location right above the Metro station was a welcome relief at the end of long days. The rooms were large, and the beds were very comfortable. The next time I'm in D.C. I will head right back to the Hilton.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HiltonArlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, January 15, 2009
We are quite pleased that you enjoyed your stay and are anxious to welcome you back on your next visit. We can’t promise warm weather, but we can promise a warm welcome! Many of our guests could take some advice from you and visit in the winter. Winter is one of the least crowded times to visit Washington, with little or no lines in museums or the top restaurants. Our average high temperature is 48 degrees in December, which is quite moderate considering most of your time will be spent indoors at the museums, cafes, and visitors centers. Since we’re only 27 steps from the Metro, you don’t even need to worry about a long walk to the subway.
Oakland, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

I stayed at the Hilton Arlington from October 17th to October 19th. I must relate a story about customer service at this Hilton. I arrived on Friday night and parked in the hotel garage. The next day I discovered that my tire had a slow leak. I went to the front desk to ask about a garage. Upon hearing my story, the front desk supervisor and a maintenance employee helped me put the spare on my car so I could drive it to a tire shop.

These guys were angels as I could not have done this job myself!. Talk about customer service- and they could not have been nicer or kinder about the whole situation!

Although that was the topper I can recommend this hotel for a stay in the DC area. It is a seven minute drive to downtown (weekends) and the weekend price is more than reasonable for an upscale hotel. The rooms are nicely done and I like the Arlington area.

While in the DC area I've always stayed downtown but that has changed with this visit.

• Liked — Comfortable room and bed
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HiltonArlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, December 19, 2008
What a remarkable story! Thank you for expressing your gratitude. We are proud of our employees and their excellent service. Alphonso, our front office supervisor, has been one of our top-notch employees for many years, and hearing comments like yours makes us even prouder.
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

The Hotel was very nice. It was great having the Metro right outside the hotel entrance. There were many resturants nearby which you could walk to, The room was large, clean, and had alot of towels and nice tolietries. My only complaint is that Wi-fi should be free of charge, I have stayed in several Hiltons where it was complimentary. I would definetly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thanks for your kind comments. You can't get any closer to the Metro than our hotel, since we're only 27 steps away. I have eated at dozens of restaurants in walking distance, and we are lucky to have such a variety of cuisines nearby. Many of them are attached by skywalk, which is great on rainy days.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

This was my second stay at the Hilton Arlington in a year, and yet, staff like Henry (bell hop) and John (the bartender) remembered me and welcomed me back. I (and a large meeting group) stayed at the hotel on business from September 25 – 29, 2008.

On my first visit in September 2007, the hotel had a major air conditioning meltdown where entire floors had no a/c. Efforts were made to move those affected and coupons were handed out for complimentary meals at Dan and Brads. This year the a/c problems were more sporadic.

Despite the physical issues such as the extensive renovations going on and the a/c issues, I believe that the Hilton Arlington’s friendly and helpful staff more than make up for the minor annoyances. As in the past, every staff I encountered was helpful and welcoming. From Blanca, the housekeeper who cleaned my room; to Stephanie and Alphonso at the front desk; to John and Desmond at the bar and even Julio who assisted with my many meeting-related requests, all tried to help me, and they did it with a smile.

I was placed in a 4th floor room that was a bit musty smelling on walking in. Since I always travel with my Yankee Candle stuff, periodic sprays made the odor less noticeable. The room had the usual suspects – large flat screen tv; large comfortable bed with a variety of pillows to suit most pillow preferences (I travel with my own ergonomic one everywhere); lounge chair and ottoman; work desk and chair; small bench; dresser; closet and fairly large bathroom that was kept supplied with towels each day.

My room on the 4th floor was hot. Unfortunately for me, it took me a couple days to realize it was a continuing problem. Since I spent so little time in my room during the day when the sun was out, it was hard to tell that the a/c was not working because the a/c was turned off after my room was cleaned and so it was not really unusual to walk into a stuffy room. Since the sun had gone down by then, my room was cooler than it was during the day. By the time I realized that my room was failing to cool down and had maintenance come up, I only had two nights left on my stay. I was given the option to move, but with only two nights left I didn’t want to pack up and move to another room. The hotel did remove my 4 days of Internet use from my bill to compensate. They did this without a request on my part, which I thought was a good gesture.

The a/c issue was a minor one for me because I was staying at the hotel on business. However, if I were on vacation and paying top dollar, it would be a major thing. I would say after you check in, make sure that you’re a/c unit is working properly. It’s much easier to move if there is a problem before you unpack and settle in.

The hotel elevators were pretty efficient, although I primarily used the one nearest my room that stopped on the mezzanine level where the meeting rooms are. I rarely used the elevator closest to the front desk.

Pros:
• Very good and convenient meeting facilities. Food service/catering was excellent as always.

• The hotel is very conveniently located right above the Ballston Metro, with direct access to Ronald Reagan Airport and downtown DC.

• Friendly, helpful staff.

• There are lots of good restaurants nearby. I have only had bar food from Dan and Brads (in hotel), but what I did have was good. I’ve never had a sit-down meal there, however.

• The hotel has a very nice (although small) VIP lounge (available to those on the concierge 7th floor) that serves a more than adequate continental breakfast 7 days a week, as well as snacks most evenings even on Sunday afternoons. For breakfast there was always juices, coffee, tea, pastries, bread for toast, cereal, fruit, eggs, pancakes etc. For evening snacks there was always free soft drinks, fruit, cheese, hot pastry and beers for $2, I believe.

• Fairly large hotel room for the DC area.

Cons:
• Continuing a/c problems in rooms and in hotel hallways which were sometimes stuffy. Hopefully, once the renovations are done, these issues will be mere memories.

• Continuing hotel renovations.

• Musty odor in my room.

• No in-room safe. It would be nice to have a safe to leave valuables such as my laptop when I was gone from my room.

• Expensive Internet service at $10.95 per 24 hour period.

All in all, if you go to the Hilton Arlington expecting high end Hilton amenities then you will likely be disappointed. If what you require is a conveniently located hotel with friendly, knowledgeable staff and adequate amenities then you will likely be pretty pleased with the value that Hilton Arlington offers. I am already looking forward to my next visit in September 2009.

Feel free to email me with any specific questions about the hotel or the DC area in general. Have a great trip to the DC area wherever you decide to stay.

• Liked — Friendly staff; everything was conveniently located; VIP lounge
  • Disliked — Hot room; hot hallway; expensive Internet; musty odor; no in-room safe
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
We truly appreciate your comprehensive review. Our employees are always the highlight of a stay at the Hilton Arlington, and our long-term all-stars like Hnery, John, Blanca, & Julio keep guests like you coming back again and again. You will be pleased to know that we are days away from opening our expanded executive lounge (3 times larger than the one you experienced). Don't worry--moving the lounge won't affect the quality of the service or the great food.
--Mark Driscoll, General Manager

Been to Hilton Arlington? Share your experiences!