“Many weird issues that make it an average stay” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Online and Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
“Many weird issues that make it an average stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed here on a business trip.

Lets start with the bathroom. Which is so small you can not use the toilet unless the door is shut. Whats odd is that in the room there is a weird inset of about 3 feet on the wall on the other side of the shower(see pics) that they could have used to expand the bathroom, make it much larger and resolve the space issue. Also there is no fan in the bathroom which makes not only the bathroom but also your room fill with steam.

The rest of the room is ok. It had a king size bed, desk and chair and another chair and ottoman.

Now is when it gets really weird. I booked a room on the executive floor which gives you access to the executive lounge which in my experience has always been on the executive floor. Now usually this floor requires that you use your keycard to get to that floor so only executive floor people have access to the lounge. And while this hotel requires the use of a key card to get to the 7th floor and only the 7th floor the executive lounge isn't on the 7th floor or the 8th floor or even on the 6th floor.

It is in the back of the restaurant thats kind of but not really in the hotel. And when I say in the back I mean in the back. You have to walk all the way through this restaurant while people are eating to get to the "lounge" where you can then use your keycard to enter.

The breakfast was not very good. The fruit they had out had a lot of rotten bananas and when they did have chocolate chip cookies which are usually great they were rock solid. It was definitely not worth the extra money and was super tiny compared to other Hiltons I've been to.

Now back to the keycard issue since the executive lounge is on the second floor carrying anything back to your room can be a hassle because if your hands are full good luck getting your card out so you can use it in the elevator.

Also you hear everything in this hotel. People talking in the halls, people talking in their rooms, cars outside, everything there seems to be very little noise insulation in this place.

They do not have a shop where you can buy anything like toiletries you may have forgotten. They refer you to this little news stand thats in an atrium next to the hotel. The people in there can't figure out how to use a credit card machine and in the 50 feet there and back you'll be harassed 20 times by people begging you for money as the homeless seem to gather there.

The "gym" if you can call it that is also very lacking. It is located behind the front desk on the 1st floor. Has two treadmills two elliptical machines a bike and some dumb bells.

The one thing it does have going for it is location. The Balston Metro station is right next to the hotel so you can shoot into dc or anywhere else you need to go very easily. It is connected to a mall via a skywalk however the mall is very lacking in appealing stores.

Also the staff was good. They were always very friendly and courteous and its not their fault the hotel has some quirks.

However the next time I'm here, even though this hotel is connected to the office I'm working at I'll be looking for another hotel.

Almost forgot, the wifi is terrible it just stops working randomly and when it does work it is slow. I believe if you do not have hilton gold or higher you have to pay for it thankfully I did not have to.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HiltonArlingtonVA, Front Office Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide the above feedback. We are sorry to see we did not exceed your expectations with the restaurant and overall bathroom and room accommodations.
Your feedback has been shared with appropriate departments for further consideration. Additionally we want to thank you for your kind comments about the staff. That will also be shared.
Rest assured your comments are highly valued and appreciated as they only help us do better. We look forward the opportunity to host you in the near future and provide you with the experience you have come to expect from a Hilton hotel.
Karla Iglesias

Front Office Manager
Hilton Arlington Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is exactly how I expect a Hilton hotel to be: very comfortable, spotless clean, and with a very friendly staff. The location is also very convenient, right outside the metro stop. However, I find it a bit ridiculous that to have wifi in your room you need to pay an extra $10 per day. When returning to my room in the evening, I found 3 lamps turned on every night. Maybe if you save energy, you can include the wifi in the room price :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HiltonArlingtonVA, Front Office Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a kind and positive feedback. We are pleased to see we have met all your expectations.
Your comment about the internet is well noted. Rest assured it has been l taken in to consideration.
It was a pleasure hosting you and we look forward welcoming you again in the near future.

Karla Iglesias
Springfield, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My office follows the New York Stock Exchange, instead of the federal government, for weather-related closings. So, when a storm was predicted for morning rush hour, my commuter train was cancelled and Metro suspended a.m. bus service. With an important impending deadline, I knew I had to find a way to get myself to work safely the next day. My best option was to stay overnight in a hotel within walking distance of a Metro station. In that regard, the Hilton was perfect.

Even at the last minute, I was able to get a reasonable (for the DC area) rate and checked in around 8:30. Check-in was a breeze, and this is one of the few Hiltons I've stayed at where I didn't have to spell my last name. More times than should happen, I've stood at a reception desk saying H-I-L-T-O-N while the next guest is totally breaking up behind me.

I had a room with a king-sized bed. It appeared to be updated and was very clean. I heard very little noise in the halls or from other rooms, even though it was clear other rooms near me were occupied. The in-room coffee maker was great and well-equipped. I only have two quibbles. The heater in the room was, as others have noted, on the noisy side. Due to the cold temperatures, it was cycling on frequently and it took me a little while to get to sleep. Also possibly due to the cold weather, the walk from the elevator was quite chilly. It didn't seem like there was heat in the halls.

I live in the DC area, so it's unlikely I'll need to say there again, but I would recommend it. Ballston has lots of great restaurants, and the location on top of the Metro station can't be beat. As it turned out, morning rush hour was absolutely miserable, and I couldn't have driven to work in the snow. This was a great quick stay.

Room Tip: Have breakfast at the IHOP down the block.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
HiltonArlingtonVA, Marketing & Sales Coordinator at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank You for your review. We are very glad that your stay was a hassle free stay especially during the unpleasant weather we have been experiencing. We understand that you live in the area, however; you and your visiting guest are always welcome!
Joy B.
Marketing & Sales Coordinator
Washington, DC, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I work the night shift at a local hospital and stayed so I could get to work during the expected 8-12 inches of snow. I arrived at the hotel at 7:30 a.m. from work knowing check-in wasn't until 3 p.m. I was very pleased that a room was available immediately. We didn't get the predicted amount of snow, but I sure had a great stay in my hotel anyway. The orange line subway station 10 steps from the lobby, didn't have to go outside to walk to the mall. I want to stay here during the summer so I can sit outside in the lounge area in front of the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

yonkers, new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hilton in Arlington Virginia. The hotel is reasonably priced, immaculate and convenient to Metro for visiting the Washington Landmarks. Courteous staff, very comfortable beds, pillows and linens, and an excellent shower. Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HiltonArlingtonVA, Markerting & Sales Coordinator at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank You for your review. We are very glad that your stay was a hassle free stay. On your next visit for relaxation and site seeing, we would be delighted to have you stay with Hilton Arlington again.

Joy B.
Marketing & Sales Coordinator
Yorktown, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Recently stayed for a week long business trip. The location of the hotel is great. I was attending a class at Global Knowledge which is located nearby. Considering the weather was cold during the week, I didn't have to actually step outside since the hotel was connected to the Ballston Commons Mall via two skywalks. I had to "charge" to use the internet $10.95 per night but that was taken off at the end of the week since I was a Global Knowledge Student. Parking was $17 a day which considering the location, that isn't really surprising. My first night there an all girls hockey team was staying on my floor and was extremely loud until 10pm. Not really the hotel's fault but to back up what other reviewers say, you literally can hear everything going on around your room. The doors slam loud, the A/C and heating unit is also loud, and the hotel does appear to be very worn. I thought the bed was very comfortable and love the shampoo, conditioner, and hand lotion.

The only problem I have with this hotel is that there is no continental breakfast, no refrigerator in the room, and no microwave. For nearly the same price the Residence Inn is also located nearby and offers free breakfast and dinner (some nights) and has a full kitchen. Not a bad hotel but I plan to try the Residence Inn next time so I can compare the two and then decide which place I liked better. Also, my family will be joining me for my next trip and this hotel does not have a pool.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights as we were attending a surprise party.
Good points:
The hotel is right next door to the metro. A fabulous bonus.
Our room was large and very comfortable.
The staff on reception and in the bar were very helpful and very welcoming.
The bad points:
The hotel is a bit tired and desperately needs updating.
The heating/air conditioning appliance in our room was really noisy. No way could anyone sleep with that left on.
The walls are really thin. The man 2 doors down was having an argument with someone on the telephone and we could almost hear every word! And trust me, we didn't want to!
So would we stay there again? Probably not until it's refurbished and then yes we would!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Arlington? Share your experiences!