“Great spot!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Virginia Beach
“Great spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

This is a great hotel. The location is convenient to lots of shops, restaurants and the metro. The front desk agents were very friendly and helpful with out questions. The rooms are a good size and the beds are very comfortable. We had breakfast in the restuarant (Dan & Brad's) and it was delicious! Definitely not your typical hotel food. We had a great stay and will definitely be back!

• Liked — the comfy bed
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

Where do I start? I guess I can start at the beginning because that's when all the problems started. We should have changed rooms, no wait, we should have changed hotels!
Here is a complete list of "issues":
1 - The deadbolt on the door was broken as if someone had forced the door.
2 - The bathroom tub drain was only cleaned once during our stay.
3 - None of the wastebaskets had plastic bags. Seems this "particular" hotel does not use them.
4 - One of the rooms wastebaskets had not been emptied from a previous guest and it had toenail clippings which my son found when he dumped the basket.
5 - One of the two phones in the room did not work at all.
6 - It took 2 phone calls to the front desk to get these issues fixed that evening.
7 - The cable tv would go out for several hours each day all during our stay.
8 - We were told that breakfast was not included in our room price until I mentioned that other Hilton hotels in the area offer continental breakfast for the same price. We were then given a new key card for access to the upper floor where the breakfast room is located.
9 - The breakfast room is very kid Unfriendly - no booster seat or highchair.
10 - The hostess at the breakfast room would "clean" the plates/cups/glasses/saucers by running cold water over them for several minutes rather than soap and hot water. Yes, I too was appalled by this.
11 - The bellboy "lost" one of our suitcases because he failed to tag them and it took us a round trip from Fairfax to retrieve it since they have no way of getting it to us otherwise.
12 - The hotel bill had a couple of inaccuracies which they corrected in our favor. I did notice we were not the only patrons having this issue.
13 - After mentioning all these issues to the manager on duty, he assured us that he would give us so many points on the Hilton Gold card. Well, it took 3-4 phone calls to get these.
The only benefit of this hotel is that it is located at one of the Metro stops but not one you would feel safe going out at night.
I have stayed at many hotels in the world and this ranks as the worst.

• Liked — Location to Metro's Ballston stop.
  • Disliked — Everything! What a sorry hotel.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

Like others have stated previously, if you're coming by taxi, make sure you refer to this as this "Ballston Hilton" as there are other Hiltons in the area and the drivers know it by this nick-name. We flew into National Airport and it was a $30 cab fair for 2 people to the Hilton.

The hotel is located on top of the Ballston Metro station which was great for convenience. We took the Metro everyplace and eventually got so used to it that we took it back to the airport for our flight home.

There are many places to eat (within walking distance) in the area including P.F. Changs, IHOP, Ruby Tuesday, etc. There is also a mall within a block and a half with a CVS, Macy's, Payless Shoes, etc. and a 7-11 is directly across the street so A LOT of things were very easy to get to!

The room we had was clean and decorated just fine and while the lobby was smaller than usual it worked fine for what we needed. We found the staff to be helpful with directions and suggestions. They gave us early check-in and late check-out. We did wish that they had a few computers in the lobby for communal use though since we did not bring a laptop.

For a Hilton it isn't top of the line but could compete with a Marriott or a Hyatt.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting D.C. for the first time. We had never been and loved how easy it was to get around. After 7 days we felt like we had lived there for a while.

• Liked — Location to the metro and price on Priceline ($60 per night)
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
seattle, wa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2007

The staff was awful. the bellboy/ concierge had a questionable work ethic and was mostly bothered by approaching customers. the front desk staff was all but accomodating and helpful, and actually avoided in any way trying to assist myself and another customer beyond the strictly required procedure: when asked where to dine, find places, or do something the answer was alwas a lazy and quite disrespectful and careless "well, you have to ask someone else". they also refused in anyway.
The quality of the facilities was terrible. the elevator was shaky and noisy. the rooms were absolutely noisy!! we could here people next door closing the door and even flushing!!
Note: we were on the 7th floor - the so called executive floor!
Lastly, I stayed 3 nights at an average $379/ night, much, much more than the published averages everywhere, and surely much more than what the hotel offers. The only reason I stayed is beacuse many government agencies such as AFOSR/ NSF are located next door, but I swear I will try anything I can to find somewhere else to go next time.

• Liked — location necessarily close to the meeting places I needed to visit
  • Disliked — the room noise, the front desk and concierge staff behavior and attitude
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

Travelers to Arlington - and to this Hilton - need to know that this particular Hilton is unlike others. It will meet some specific needs, but my impression is that for most people, it's going to be a disappointment. First off: if you're coming by taxi, make sure you refer to this as this "Ballston Hilton" as there are other Hiltons in the are and the drivers know it by this nick-name. The hotel sits on top of the Ballston Metro station and as such, it's really a hotel situated inside of an office building/condominium complex. The garage attached to the hotel has nothing to do with the hotel: it's run by the office building. So I think it's unfair to find such extreme fault with the hotel based on their parking situation. It's a lot like staying in a smallish Manhattan hotel: the lobby is small, the rooms are only on floors 3-7 (the condo is above floor 7) there's only one small bar and restaurant (2nd floor) and no pool, spa, workout center, or business center. Otherwise, I thought the hotel very clean, security tight, hallways well lit and clean, and the room exactly what I was expecting. It may have been a tad bit smaller that usual, but I thought it was fine. This is a hotel to sleep in, and really nothing else. If you're spending your days at an office, and all you're looking for is a place to lay your head (and get your Hilton points), then this is it. I thought the bar was excellent (John mixes great drinks) and the appetizers we had from the restaurant were good, too. The service in the bar was great, and friendly. And I have no complaints with the front desk, either. They accommodated and early check-in and late check-out with ease. So in general, choose wisely if you are choosing this Hilton: for some, it will be just fine. For others - you may find yourself very unhappy.

• Stayed December 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dayton, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2007

We stayed at this hotel to be with the rest of our family attending a wedding nearby in Arlington, VA. We will not come back to this hotel. To begin, the handicapped parking spots were not very large, but they were near a ramp with railings. However, the ramp led to extremely heavy, non-automatic glass doors with a center bar in the middle so that the actual openings were so narrow, even a sporty wheelchair would not make it through! This is the only entrance from the parking lot to the elevators! Therefore, people in wheelchairs or people too weak to open the doors have to go up the dangerously steep and narrow parking entrance while cars drive in.
Also, this is the type of hotel where the handicapped rooms are the oldest, least desirable, corner rooms with odd floor plans. Other than that, I don't see how it was any different than a regular room. I can't remember exactly, there may have been a seat in the shower. Entering the room was difficult at best, and entry into the bathroom was nothing short of acrobatics. Then the room was extremely humid, the window would not open and the air conditioning was broken and never fixed, even though we called the technician twice. The hotel staff was generally condesending. Although we did have a nice quiet lunch with good service in the restaurant, and a good time one evening in the bar. I will not fault the dining staff, they were friendly.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The staff attitudes, the lack of accessibility, the poor quality of the facilities.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
southern california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2007

i often stay here when i'm on business in arlington. this time i am less pleased with my room at the hilton. it is facing the bus lane so there is more noise. also the room is too hot. i put on the ac but the unit makes me cough when it is on, so i don't keep it on. it's freezing outside so i'm surprised the room is hot, must be that the hotel keeps the temp too high on the property..
they have started spraying with a cherry room deoderizer.
I asked for no spreay but the room sttill smells like the stuff. Must be covering up something. For close to $300/night I can do better somewhere else I think. There is a new Westin down the street and I may try that one the next time I am in Arlington.
Staff here is still friendly and helpful but the property itself could be better. They have a captive audience with all the businesses in the area.

• Stayed November 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Arlington? Share your experiences!