“It's clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Brooklyn, New York
“It's clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel is pretty good. There were no real issues. But left me wanting more.

The staff was amazing. Welcoming, friendly and attentive. They were all wonderful.

The location is nice. Metro is on the same block, so easy to get there if you have lots of suitcases. There is IHop across the street (food is not good, better go to some little deli), and Cheesecake Factory is about 22 minute walk or 2nd stop on Metro.

The room had very thin walls and there was a party in the adjacent room (connected to ours). Of course, it was memorial day weekend and hotel was booked to the max. Nothing could be done. It was clean and smelled nice. But I did notice there is a visible difference between different Hiltons, This one was not up to par.

The bathroom had a little off door knob that would have to be jiggled to close it, but not important. The sink is a little too tall and standouts uncomfortably, you would have to bend over all the way, specially for a a person of 4.9"-5.2"

We did not book with breakfast, which was $16 for a buffet, so cannot say anything about it.
The overall experience was bland, even though the staff was very good. At the end it was a good, clean place to crash for the night. But nothing to write home about.. I would rather take the Hilton at Dupont Circle for the same price.

436 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Wake Forest, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I chose this hotel because we liked the easy access to the Metro, as well as the lower price compared to downtown DC hotels of similar caliber. We arrived on Sunday afternoon and as soon as we checked in we got ready to ride the Metro to The National Mall. We asked the front desk the location of the Metro (it's right under the hotel). We were then informed that there is weekend construction work every weekend on the Metro, and it was recommended that we take a cab conveniently located right in front of the hotel. "It's too difficult to navigate all the changes and transfers, so take a cab....your on vacation" we were told. So, we got in a cab and the driver asked us how to get to the museum. Not very comforting. After he made several calls in some foreign language, we made it to our destination for $24. The return trip was about the same, so instead of a few dollars for the Metro, we were out of pocket almost $45, defeating the whole purpose of staying in Arlington. We returned to the hotel about 11 PM and when I turned on the bathroom sink, the water flowed out of the bottom of the drain pipe. We put a call in to the front desk. They brought a few extra towels and told us it would be repaired the next day. So I put the ice bucket under the sink and we were able to use the sink. After reminding the front desk, it was fixed when we returned the next day.
On the bright side, the room was very comfortable, lots of convenient restaurants right accross the street. As long as you are there from Mon-Fri and plan to use the Metro, great choice for a comfortable hotel. Don't expect a view, but you're there for sleep, not hanging out. Parking was a reasonable $17 a night (at least for the DC area).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridgeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I chose this hotel to stay in while visiting Washington for the 3rd yr in a row for the Police Unity Tour my husband rides in. I am was 8 months pregnant with a 3 yr old in tow, so I needed convenience to the Metro with a good price. ($160 per night).

The concierge helped me bring my stuff to my room and had early check in! Score! I was able to check in at 915am, freshen up after the ride in, and be to the Smithsonian by 10am. My room was clean. View was eh, but I wasn't there to sit in the room. Coffee maker in room (was descent) and had tea too and fridge. Balston Metro stop on Orange line.

IHop across the street (24hrs). Was small, but really yummy and super friendly. Using Siri on my iPhone, I can asked for 'food' and other places come up (cafe types) in the area.

Killer pressure in shower! Was great.

Parking is under the hotel-$17 a night with inside hotel elevator access (convenient). Hotel will give you ticket to give the man on your last day or if you want to go in and out (unlimited on that too).

15-20 min ride to Metro center (red line connection) or actually shorter. It was 20 mins maybe to Smithsonian. Metro station is on the corner right behind the hotel. 1 min walk if that.

All I would say as negatives were that the bathroom is small and has no exhaust fan. When you shower, the room gets too steamy and everything gets misted. Also, there is no option for continental breakfast, coffee, or anything from lobby (if say you want a quick snack on way out with out sitting down at the IHop).

Austin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have stayed over 50 nights this year at the Hilton in Arlington VA. The staff are very attentive and efficient. Rooms and overall hotel is very well maintained. The in-house restaurant is decent, but many food options are available in wide price/quality range. The location is extremely convenient to Ballston Metro Rail station, so I can fly into Reagan National airport and not hassle with renting car or taxi. Plus, it's a snap to head into DC proper.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel four times - two weeks in August 2012 and two weeks in May 2013. All business travel. As so many have said, the location can't be beat if you're a metro rider. And there are plenty of chain restaurants withing walking distance of the hotel. Plus, Courthouse and Clarendon (where there the food and retail options are slightly superior) are just the next stops on the orange line from Ballston.

As for the hotel itself, I've found that both rooms I've stayed in on the 5th floor had a slight musty odor (though my room on the 7th floor was fine) and hot water is hit or miss during peak hours in the mornings. The hotel has been updated, but it can still feel rather dark due to heavy drapes over windows in the hallways. However, housekeeping does a good job, the beds are comfy, and the staff is friendly. If I need to stay in Ballston, and the price is equal, I prefer to stay at the Westin, but the Hilton Arlington is a strong second choice in an area that often gets booked up pretty solidly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
chicago,il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is literally above the Ballston Metro Station. I could get from my room to the train platform in about 7 minutes. The rooms are smaller and nothing special - even on the executive floor. Bed was comfortable and the shower had good water pressure. The buffet breakfast is far from being one of the better ones I have had at other Hilton properties, but it still got the job done. I hear parking is a pain and expensive here, but I did not have a car as the Metro was my main form of transportation. Restaurants and convenience store nearby. Hotel Bar was decent as well. Overall a very satisfactory trip and I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Terry, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Our overall experience was above and beyond what most hotels have done in past trips. Staff was wonderful and even helped us celebrate a special birthday. The hotel was right by the Metro so that was a special incentive to stay there.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Been to Hilton Arlington? Share your experiences!