“Nothing Special Great Location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for Two
Ranked #29 of 48 hotels in Arlington
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nothing Special Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Full disclosure, we are loyal Hilton members and selected this hotel because it was the best Hilton brand hotel in the area.

The best thing going for this Hilton is the location. Easy metro access, sandwiched between Wilson Ave and Fairfax which are Ballstons primary drags for food and fun. Other than that it is a pretty standard, if not a little run down Hilton property.

Upon arrival, the front desk staff was helpful and explained all the hotels amenities and services. The front desk staff was attentive through our stay. The executive lounge was closed and they made up for it by comping us breakfast at their on site restaurant Dan and Brads. The restaurant had terrible service and the food is over priced, try one of the surrounding restaurants for a meal out.

The room was a standard, no frills room with a safe and minibar. The bathrooms were pretty small, but were clean. The views are nothing to write home about, and the whole property just felt dated and mediocre. We had wifi access and parking both for a fee. Overall, not the best hotel in the DC metro area, but for the price and location it is hard to beat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I got here for business and decided to stay at the hilton due to its location (which is great). Upen arrival, the frist room I got was smelly (probably bleach) and had the view of a prison yard (the roof of the second floor was accesible from my window and surrounded by walls). I asked to switch rooms (I was going to stay there for 3 nights) and got another room on the same floor which also smelled like bleach (much stronger smell this time). After opening the window and waiting half an hour I went down again to the front desk and asked for a different room. Out of desperation (It was getting late) I even offered to pay for a club room if needed). Eventually I got a room on the 4th floor which didnt smell. The front desk people were actually very nice in doing all the switches.

The overall atmosphere is really depressing, which makes sense for a mostly business hotel. the bar/restaurant is very bad. I had dinner there one night (burger) and was very sorry I did that. The burger (how hard is that?) was as bad as it gets. The hotel is very old and feels like it could use some renovations. For the price I paid (close to 200) I expected something nicer than that. The room service was lacking. The coffee kit was not refilled and when I called the frontdesk about it in the morning they said 'its coming right up' and it didnt come right up. Or at all.

I would not stay here again! Even if it means I need to take a metro in the morning. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: stay away from the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Manassas, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton December 2-8 while my spouse took a week long training class. After reading reviews, we were prepared to make due with an ice bucket (no fridge) and pay for internet access. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the Hilton has added small refrigerators to their rooms! Also, they had free wi-fi available in the guest rooms. Both of these features helped make our stay extremely comfortable and convenient.

King sized bed was comfortable and the room was spacious although the bathrooms are on the small side (the door almost bumps into the toilet when opening the door). Only complaint on noise is that the doors are set to close/slam automatically when you let go of them. All through the evening we heard repeated door slams as guests aren’t paying attention to hold the door and close it quietly.

All in all, this was a great location for easy Metro access, plenty of food choices and comfortable for the whole week. Would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

this hotel is beautiful, the staff is friendly, helpful and efficient...the rooms are clean and comfortable and the price is usually very affordable - there is absolutely nothing to complain about....If you need someplace to stay when visiting DC it is only a couple of metro stops from the center of Washington and so much less expensive than the hotels inside the city...we have stayed there many times and have never been disappointed

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here for two nights with my 14 year old son. The hotel is very close to a metro station and that made it a good base for my son and I to go into D.C. The beds were comfortable and the room clean. On the down side, the hotel atmosphere was lacking in warmth. This is a business hotel first and foremost. It is in the heart of downtown Arlington. If I had it to do over again, we would have stayed in D.C.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HiltonArlingtonVA, Director of Sales at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our atmosphere. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We want you to know that we appreciate all of our guest and we hope you’ll stay with us again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have frequented this property over the past several years (I may have reviewed it before). Although the rooms are a bit pricy, the service is outstanding! The staff members are friendly and go above and beyond to ensure that guests enjoy their stay. The location is convenient - it is adjacent to the Ballston Metro stop and attaches via skywalk to Ballston Commons mall. Wheelchairs are available (free of charge) to guests with mobility impairments. There are only a couple of things that I would change about this property: (1) include refrigerators in the rooms and (2) don't charge for in-room Internet access.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 7th floor give you access to the Executive Lounge, a comfortable place to relax and hav...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I called early in the day around 9:30 to let them know that we would be arriving earlier than expected. The woman never asked me what my name was or what room I reserved. She said don't worry, we will have rooms ready. Okay fine, good we can check-in early. We get to the front desk and there are others checking in early as well. She tells us we don't have your king room ready. I told her when I called you should have asked me what room I reserved instead of telling me there are rooms available. So we asked how else can we be accommodated - free parking, breakfast, etc. Nothing but attitude.

The room we got had a very strong oder. Never again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonArlingtonVA, Director of Sales at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
I appreciate your candid review of your recent stay with our hotel. I apologize for the room assignment and early check-in request not meeting your expectations. While room type and early check-in requests cannot be met every time, I have reviewed your comments with our front desk team. In addition I also want to take this time to say how sorry I am that your customer service experience was unsatisfactory. I can assure you that my main priority is to make sure our guest are greeted in an exceptional way. I have already discussed this with our front desk staff and taken the necessary actions to ensure this does not happen again. I would like very much to earn your business and hope that next time your travels bring you to the area, you will consider staying with us.

Been to Hilton Arlington? Share your experiences!