“Depressing hotel with smelly rooms” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Online and Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 47 hotels in Arlington
New York City, New York
“Depressing hotel with smelly rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I got here for business and decided to stay at the hilton due to its location (which is great). Upen arrival, the frist room I got was smelly (probably bleach) and had the view of a prison yard (the roof of the second floor was accesible from my window and surrounded by walls). I asked to switch rooms (I was going to stay there for 3 nights) and got another room on the same floor which also smelled like bleach (much stronger smell this time). After opening the window and waiting half an hour I went down again to the front desk and asked for a different room. Out of desperation (It was getting late) I even offered to pay for a club room if needed). Eventually I got a room on the 4th floor which didnt smell. The front desk people were actually very nice in doing all the switches.

The overall atmosphere is really depressing, which makes sense for a mostly business hotel. the bar/restaurant is very bad. I had dinner there one night (burger) and was very sorry I did that. The burger (how hard is that?) was as bad as it gets. The hotel is very old and feels like it could use some renovations. For the price I paid (close to 200) I expected something nicer than that. The room service was lacking. The coffee kit was not refilled and when I called the frontdesk about it in the morning they said 'its coming right up' and it didnt come right up. Or at all.

I would not stay here again! Even if it means I need to take a metro in the morning. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: stay away from the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

456 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Manassas, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton December 2-8 while my spouse took a week long training class. After reading reviews, we were prepared to make due with an ice bucket (no fridge) and pay for internet access. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the Hilton has added small refrigerators to their rooms! Also, they had free wi-fi available in the guest rooms. Both of these features helped make our stay extremely comfortable and convenient.

King sized bed was comfortable and the room was spacious although the bathrooms are on the small side (the door almost bumps into the toilet when opening the door). Only complaint on noise is that the doors are set to close/slam automatically when you let go of them. All through the evening we heard repeated door slams as guests aren’t paying attention to hold the door and close it quietly.

All in all, this was a great location for easy Metro access, plenty of food choices and comfortable for the whole week. Would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

this hotel is beautiful, the staff is friendly, helpful and efficient...the rooms are clean and comfortable and the price is usually very affordable - there is absolutely nothing to complain about....If you need someplace to stay when visiting DC it is only a couple of metro stops from the center of Washington and so much less expensive than the hotels inside the city...we have stayed there many times and have never been disappointed

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here for two nights with my 14 year old son. The hotel is very close to a metro station and that made it a good base for my son and I to go into D.C. The beds were comfortable and the room clean. On the down side, the hotel atmosphere was lacking in warmth. This is a business hotel first and foremost. It is in the heart of downtown Arlington. If I had it to do over again, we would have stayed in D.C.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HiltonArlingtonVA, Director of Sales at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our atmosphere. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We want you to know that we appreciate all of our guest and we hope you’ll stay with us again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have frequented this property over the past several years (I may have reviewed it before). Although the rooms are a bit pricy, the service is outstanding! The staff members are friendly and go above and beyond to ensure that guests enjoy their stay. The location is convenient - it is adjacent to the Ballston Metro stop and attaches via skywalk to Ballston Commons mall. Wheelchairs are available (free of charge) to guests with mobility impairments. There are only a couple of things that I would change about this property: (1) include refrigerators in the rooms and (2) don't charge for in-room Internet access.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 7th floor give you access to the Executive Lounge, a comfortable place to relax and hav...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I called early in the day around 9:30 to let them know that we would be arriving earlier than expected. The woman never asked me what my name was or what room I reserved. She said don't worry, we will have rooms ready. Okay fine, good we can check-in early. We get to the front desk and there are others checking in early as well. She tells us we don't have your king room ready. I told her when I called you should have asked me what room I reserved instead of telling me there are rooms available. So we asked how else can we be accommodated - free parking, breakfast, etc. Nothing but attitude.

The room we got had a very strong oder. Never again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonArlingtonVA, Director of Sales at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
I appreciate your candid review of your recent stay with our hotel. I apologize for the room assignment and early check-in request not meeting your expectations. While room type and early check-in requests cannot be met every time, I have reviewed your comments with our front desk team. In addition I also want to take this time to say how sorry I am that your customer service experience was unsatisfactory. I can assure you that my main priority is to make sure our guest are greeted in an exceptional way. I have already discussed this with our front desk staff and taken the necessary actions to ensure this does not happen again. I would like very much to earn your business and hope that next time your travels bring you to the area, you will consider staying with us.
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed here one night for business and expected a little more for what I paid. I've been to a number of other Hiltons in this area for business and have usually been pretty impressed with what I've gotten, but this time there wasn't anything that really stood out. The hotel was fine, nothing in particular to complain about, but nothing to rave about. As a Hilton Diamond member, I am usually really surprised and pleased with the perks at Hilton hotels, but this time there wasn't really anything special. I had booked a room on the executive level and the hotel didn't seem too full, but didn't get any sort of upgrade. The executive lounge, which they said would have snack and beverages available, had some burnt cookies and a nearly-empty bowl of fruit with some water and sodas. I was hoping for a few other snack to choose from so was a little disappointed that I'd taken the time to go all the way down there since it was on the ground floor and the exec rooms were all the way on the 7th.
The room itself was pretty small. The doors were so loud it was pretty much impossible not to seem like you were slamming them every time you went in and out. The walls seemed pretty thin as well since we could hear every time there was someone out in the hallway or in the adjacent rooms. The bathroom was fine, but tiny. The hinge on the door to the bathroom was loose so the door was hanging unevenly, and it took a bit of a trick to lift the door so it would align properly in order to get it closed. The air conditioner was very, very loud and seemed to have a hard time keeping the room at a constant temperature. It would come on for a minute or two and freeze the room, and then wouldn't come back on until the room was too warm for comfort. I also noticed a water stain or two on the ceiling.
The breakfast buffet was average, nothing too impressive, but since it was free I can't complain too much about that. I definitely would not have paid the $16 that it normally costs, though.
The staff was nice and the parking was close by, although I was very glad to have gotten the package that included parking because it's $17 per night for self parking otherwise.
With so many other Hiltons in the area that are equally or less expensive, I'd probably choose to stay in one of the other properties and drive a little further to work.

Room Tip: It doesn't seem to be worth the extra money to pay for the executive level.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Arlington? Share your experiences!