“Staff friendly but incompetent, needs renovation” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Online and Save 20%
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Columbia, South Carolina
“Staff friendly but incompetent, needs renovation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

When I entered my room after check-in, the bed was not made. I had to call to get a maid into the room. Then, the WiFi logon claimed by name/room number combination was wrong. I had to call, was promised that the issue should be resolved in 3 min. 30 min later, it still did not work. So I had to call again. Seemed they had forgotten to take care of it... Upon returning to my room after a business dinner, I found out that the TV was not working, but I was too tired to call (see the pattern?).
The room showed its age, not up to par with many other Hilton properties. The A/C in the room was very loud (window unit) and made all kinds of mechanical noises. It looked like it was from the 80s.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

For some strange reason I have an image of Hilton hotels as deluxe, top of the line hotels. My wife and son and I stayed at the Hilton Arlington for 4 days and while it was a nice hotel, I wouldn't call it deluxe - but I would call it comfortable. We had a pleasant stay. The hotel was comfortable, the room was average, the beds were comfortable. The staff were really nice and very helpful, especially Keith, the concierge. On the whole we had a pleasant stay and I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

On the other hand there were some disappointments. The biggest disappointment was the parking situation. A charge of $17 per night for hotel guests to park is exorbitant. I think any hotel should provide parking for it's guests for free. It's the same as if the hotel charged an additional $15 per night for closet space. You have to store your car just like you have to store your clothing. I had to park at a meter for 30 minutes just to check in. I decided to park on the street a couple blocks away in a residential area. Surprise! There is no parking allowed without a permit in all the residential areas within walking distance. The choices were the hotel garage or parking meters on the street. Gottcha! Luckily for me I was able to park in a space at the home of the folks I was visiting.

The second disappointment was the toilet. It only flushed when the porcelin top of the tank was removed. When we arrived we complained to the front desk that the toilet didn't work. They sent up their engineer who removed the top of the tank, wiggled the tubing, flushed the toilet, and replaced the top on the tank. Next time, in the middle of the night the toilet wouldn't flush. So I removed the top, flushed it and replaced the top. For the rest of our stay we had to remove the top of the toilet in order to flush it.

I mentioned my image of the Hilton as deluxe. Therefore I expected a swimming pool. There is no pool. I did swim at a private pool a couple blocks away.

Internet in the room is $11.95 per day. But if you sit in the lobby with your laptop and wireless connection, it's free. What's the difference? Why free in the lobby and pay in the room? This is another one of those charges that I'm not happy with. I know many hotels charge for Internet in your room but to me it's a utility like the television and radio. If you agree they should charge for Internet then you must agree that they should charge to watch television or listen to the radio. What's the difference?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
HiltonArlingtonVA, Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Thank you for your recent stay at the Hilton Arlington and your valuable feedback. We are pleased that you and your family had a pleasant stay. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our concierge Keith and to our General Manager. In terms of your parking experience, the hotel does not currently own the garage. However, we do offer the least expensive hotel garage parking option especially compared to DC prices which start at $25 on up. We are glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of the nearby indoor pool located within 4 blocks of the hotel. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit us in the future as we have some great plans for the hotel in 2012.
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Came to the Ballston area for 3 weeks in July. I stayed at the Hilton for 2 wks, and at the nearby Westin (2 blocks away) for a week.

This is an average Hilton. If it weren't for getting Hilton points, I would prefer the Westin. The Westin has rates that seem to be about the same or lower than the Hilton. Compared to the Hilton, it's newer and in better shape. This Hilton is in a tower complex that is also a condo complex. It is VERY conveniently located on top of the Metro. You don't really even have to go outside to get to the nearby Ballston Common's mall. It's all connected by skybridges. There are plenty of restaurants nearby. A Cosi and PotBelly's are across the street, and the food court and other restaurants (Panera, Noodles and Co) are at the mall. Lots of nice sit-down restaurants within a block or two as well.

Beds are comfortable. Not hard. Each room has a flat screen TV. Channel selection is better at the Hilton than the Westin.

Bathrooms are very small. You can't use the toilet with the door open, as the door barely clears the toilet as it swings open.

Workout Facility: Exercise facility is average for a Hilton with the Precor equipment. The workout room is on the first floor (no windows). Comparatively, the Westin has larger bathrooms and it's exercise facility is much nicer and larger as well, with a nice view on the third floor. The Westin also has the Lifetime Fitness equipment which is a step up from the Precor equipment.

In summary, average for a Hilton. If I weren't a Hilton Honors member and collecting points, I'd probably move over to the Westin.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for being our guest and more importantly thank you for being a Hilton Honors member. All our Diamond and Gold members receive complimentary passes to the Washington Sport and Health Club, for all other Hilton Honors members, we do offer discounted passes to the Sports and Health Club. We agree that our premium location at the Ballston Metro and Mall is a great feature of our hotel and benefit to all our guests. Thank you for your feedback and hope to have you as our guest in the future.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I was not very impressed with this Hilton. The lobby and public spaces were very cramped. The staff was kind of unresponsive- I called to complain about a tv issue and the woman at the desk emphasized to me that it was not their fault (like i care! just fix it if you can!). The rooms were pretty nice so I have no complaints about that. The location is also solid if you are looking for something to do at night. Ballston isn't exactly anything close to a tourist spot but it provides enough fast food/fast sit down type places to keep somebody happy until they hop on the metro to get to wherever they actually want to go. Overall I wouldn't mind staying here again but I certainly would look elsewhere first.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for recent stay at the Hilton Arlington. We find our lobby just the right size for a 210 room property. We apologize that you were experiencing some difficulties with your TV. Without knowing the specifics I am unable to provide you with an update. However, please know that all issues are recorded in a log book for follow up by our Engineering Department. I apologize that our Front Desk staff was unable to assist you, but this will be address in our continuing training program. We appreciate your feedback and hope that we have the opportunity to host you in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Stayed here 3 nights. Had some concerns after making the reservations and then reading the reviews. However, as a longtime Hilton customer, this hotel is pretty much what you would expect. It's a little older, but well maintained. My room was clean, with a good desk area, plenty of power outlets, good WiFi, and a good sized flat panel TV. No issues with the front desk staff.

The location right next to the Ballston Metro station is a big plus. It's location right off of Fairfax Drive is also a plus, with a several decent restaurants within walking distance. The room service food quality was a little above average. It was priced fairly low for the DC metro area, also a plus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor possible
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Arlington for your recent stay and your Hilton loyalty. We appreciate your feedback. I will be sure to share your positive feedback to the Front Desk staff, our Housekeeping team, and our Engineering Department, all who take pride in the property and ensuring the rooms are cleaned, well-maintained, and guest satisfaction. You are not alone when it comes to taking advantage of our location in the trendy Ballston neighborhood. We hope to see you again in the future.
Columbia, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011 via mobile

Steps from the Metro and good onsite restaurant but horrible Internet access (that you pay for). Exec lounge is downstairs and hours of operation not accurately published. No separate business center. Small bathrooms but friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Last weekend my family and I drove 8 hours south to spend a weekend in Washington, DC. Overall, we were very happy with the Hilton Arlington. The rooms were clean and modern. We also loved having the subway and a Starbucks in the same building. The only thing we had wished to find was an indoor pool and complimentary internet. Aside from those very small complaints, this hotel exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
HiltonArlingtonVA, Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Thank you allowing us to host you and your family during your Washington, DC visit. Although we do not have an indoor pool, there is an indoor pool in our neighborhood that charges approximately $6 per pool pass. Thank you for your feedback and your comments on how the hotel exceeded your expectations.

Been to Hilton Arlington? Share your experiences!