“Great Location for Family Trip to Washington DC” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
DeLand, Florida
“Great Location for Family Trip to Washington DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

So the family and I decided to do a quick trip to Washington DC between Christmas and New Years. We picked this hotel based on price, being a Hilton brand, suite versus hotel room and proximity to the Metro and Airport. The hotel has a shuttle to pick you up at Ronald Reagan airport with a quick call to the front desk and we were instructed where to pick up the shuttle. Remember it was Christmas night at 7:30p when we arrived, we didn't wait long and it was great the Airport had a Dunkin Donuts near the gates to keep the kids happy.

Once we arrived at the Embassy Suite, the front desk staff was very helpful and checked us in quickly, there were luggage carts but no bell staff. I believe because I was HiltonHhonors Diamond they upgraded us to the "Presidential Suite" Room 1113. This is the top floor, the suite had two bedrooms, one with double beds the other with a King, each with their own bathroom. The suite also had a living/dining room with a small frig, microwave, and bar sink. Depending on the time of the day some road noise can be heard from below but we all slept through it.

As we were arriving on Christmas Day I had contacted Kevin Feldman a few weeks prior about the accommodations and a place to grab dinner when we arrived. Kevin was extremely helpful and pointed us to the Crystal City Sports Pub for Dinner (I enjoyed my Crab Cakes) as they were open late on Christmas. In addition, as it was Christmas they let the shuttle staff leave while we were checking in, when I called down the front desk said they would get us a cab, which they did and there was no cost to us.

The next morning was quiet but the breakfast buffet was in full swing, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, oatmeal, pancakes and French toast, as well as cooked to order eggs, juices and pastries, enough to go around and enough variety for the week's stay. The young lady making the cooked to order eggs made me a fantastic egg white omelet on more than one occasion. I will warn you of one thing on the holidays/weekends it does get busy, there is a sign in the elevators that gives a good suggestion of when to go down and eat (between 7-8am was slowest) because it can be a mad house after 9:30a

For our first day we used the shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro Station leaving every half hour.
Upon return we usually walked back or went to the Crystal City Station and walked from there. (Use the tunnel in the Marriott to access the Crystal City Shops and Metro Station)
By the way even with the Metro we averaged 10 miles a day of walking.

The room was quite large and very comfortable for the four of us and could easily hold 6 no problem. The room was clean and orderly, we asked for more towels and it was no problem.
Our room was cleaned each day while we were out.

The pool was open nightly from 5pm to 10pm with a Life Guard, which was a nice bonus, they do limit the pool occupants but we never waited, just knocked on the locked door and were granted access. With 25 people in the small pool I can understand the need for a limit.
Of note: I went to the pool with my 2yo and 8yo, the 2yo swims very well without floats but when I was taking off my shoes she got close to the edge the lifeguard dropped what he was doing and went to check/stop her. <Thank You>

Overall I will give the Embassy Suites an excellent rating and would recommend the location for families as well as those doing business around the Pentagon.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor or the west side of the Embassy Suites
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for sharing your detailed review so others can benefit from your experience. It looks like you did your research prior to coming to the area and I am so glad you chose to stay with us.

Being the hotel is an all suite property, there are few upgrade opportunities so I am glad there was one offered to you. The presidential suite is unique as it offers two living rooms that share a large living room area.

We always appreciate when a guest calls us ahead of time so we can try to meet any specific requests. We were happy to provide you dining options that were family friendly and open on Christmas Eve. The Sports pub is popular as the menu offers so many options and large portions.

I am glad you enjoyed breakfast. We provide the signs to help guests that prefer a quieter breakfast to know when it is best to enjoy the breakfast. Many guests sleep in until the last 45 minutes which is why the crowd is much bigger at that time.

No doubt that comfortable walking shoes are needed when touring Washington DC. Many of our guests enjoy having the option of walking the 4 blocks to the Metro or enjoying the complimentary shuttle. We find many walk to the Metro in the morning, but are too tired and prefer the shuttle in the afternoon.

Your comment on the clean suite is appreciated as the staff works so hard to offer this same experience to all of our guests. I am glad the lifeguard was responsive to your needs and helped keep everyone safe. Your comments will be passed on to the pool operator so the guard can be recognized for his efforts.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope your return soon and if so please know we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

jennifer.geiger@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Pittsburgh, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We chose this establishment for a last minute family vacation before Christmas. It had a great location to Washington D.C., where we wanted to tour. Free shuttle to the Metro/Mall, which the distance could be easily walked to if needed. The complimentary breakfast was one of the best of all the hotel stays we've had in the past. The manager reception in the evenings was an unexpected addition to our stay. The suite we had was clean and spacious, as advertised. The beds were comfortable and the staff friendly. The hotel provided lifeguards at the pool, which was also unexpected. One of the lifeguards was especially helpful to our son whom does not yet know how to swim via providing a lifejacket to swim with. If in the area again, would definitely try to stay at this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is so nice to read that you had such a fantastic visit. We are fortunate to be so close to Washington DC as this allows us to offer our guests a DC experience, without the DC prices.

I am glad that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and evening reception. The breakfast offers so many options to fuel up for a long day of touring while the evening reception is a nice place to unwind and talk about all that you experienced.

Your comment that your suite was clean and comfortable is appreciated. The pool is operated by an outside company, but your comment will be passed to them so the lifeguard can be recognized for his/her efforts.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your next visit. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Virginia Beach, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Very nice hotel each time we stay here. Their evening reception snacks are bland though. Also they have started charging parking fees if you park out front of the hotel. This is something they never did. Good rate and I will return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you returning and please know we will work hard to offer you a great experience each time. The snacks offered at the evening reception are set by the Embassy Suites brand, not the hotel. The goal is provide consistency at each hotel. However, if you or anyone has a suggestion on an item(s) that you think will enhance the experience please let me know. I am happy to pass it on as many times changes are made due to guest feedback. Please keep in mind the reception is not meant to be a substitute for dinner so snack foods are offered. We currently roate through lite snacks such as bar mix snacks, veggie/cheese dips, and popcorn.

As long as I have been here, which is ten years, we have charged to park in both the garage and on ther surface lot. It would not make sense to charge the guests that park in the garage, but not the ones that park in the lot. The surface lot really is for vehicles that do not fit in the garage. I am sorry that the fee upset you, but please know it is very common in this area as I do not know of any hotels that do not charge for parking.

Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had a wonderful experience at the Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, Arlington, Virginia. The front desk staff were courteous and kind, answering all of our questions politely and helpfully. We were very impressed with the shuttle to take us not only to the metro but also out to a very long list of local restaurants. They also picked us up within 10 minutes of us calling to request it. Wonderful service!
While you do have to pay for parking, it was very convenient to leave our vehicle at the hotel and walk to the Crystal City metro station to get into DC and the monuments. We did use the shuttle on one day due to rain which took us to Pentagon City station and picked us up later on at the scheduled time. It is all very convenient and runs like clockwork.
Our room was spacious and very nice. Everything worked well. We requested another blanket which was brought up very quickly by a friendly staff member.
The breakfast was delicious and amazingly good for a free hotel breakfast. There are signs in the elevator telling you of wait times at peak times in the morning so we made sure we were down for breakfast by 7:30am and we had no wait at all. Everything was hot and delicious. We were very impressed.
We will definitely stay here again. It was wonderful value and we had a great experience.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor, room 607 I think which was very nice. Room 608 was very spacious. Good for...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for choosing to post your review. It is so nice to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found the staff to be friendly as well as helpful. We are one of the few hotels in the area to offer a "on request" shuttle that goes to anywhere within Crystal City. This makes getting out to a restaurant very simple and I am glad you found this amenity to be helpful.

Many of our guests really enjoy having the option of walking to the Metro as it is only four blocks away (10-12 minute walk) or taking the complimentary shuttle on days when the weather is not so cooperative.

It is very nice to read that you had an enjoyable breakfast experience and found your suite to be spacious. Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I hope you return and please expect that we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Syosset, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel was okay in terms of the room. Even though the room was a little old fashioned and there wasn't a in room safe, the room was very clean and comfortable. What lowered the rating on this hotel was the breakfast service. On the first day, when the hotel was almost empty the buffet breakfast was fine. On Saturday, when the hotel was busy it was awful. First, you could not find a table to sit at. It is not that they were all taken but that none of them had been cleared of dirty dishes. After waiting on line, I finally got to the eggs and the dish was empty. I looked at my watch and a full 10 minutes passed before they brought out the eggs. It appeared that because they had not anticipated the need for more eggs, they rushed them out and they were like soup, very undercooked. After getting the eggs, I went to get coffee, which was also empty. The next day there wasn't a shortage of eggs just plates to put them on. I waiting about five minutes and finally used cereal bowls. The lady standing in front of me on line said she had been there ten minutes with no plates being brought out. Today, again when it was not that crowded, the breakfast was okay. On all days though, the plates they brought out were wet. If breakfast service is not important to you then this is a fine place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. It is disappointing to read that your stay was only ok as we strive to be much better than that. I am glad you enjoyed your suite.

My apologies that you did not have a positive breakfast experience. We know the complimentary breakfast is a big reason many of our travelers stay with us and work hard to offer an enjoyable breakfast to all of our guests. Again, I am sorry we failed to meet this goal with you.

The staff tries to turn the tables over quickly and are usually very successful at this. I can understand why it would be frustrating to have to wait for a table. The Director of Food and Beverage will review your comments with the staff to remind them how important it is to ensure all items are properly refreshed through out the breakfast timeframe. I do hope both you and the readers of your review/my response will also read the many other reviews to realize this experience is not the norm. The large majority of our guests really enjoy their breakfast experience, but again apologize this was not the case for you.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I do hope you return and please expect that we will work harder to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The service was of a higher quality than expected and the rooms were quite comfortable. The only complaint, and it doesn't really rise to that level, is the carpet needed a cleaning. The bed and pillows were excellent, the layout intuitive and everything worked. Would definitely stay again. Great value for the money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. Wow, it is so rewarding to read that the staff exceeded your expectations. They work so hard to try and offer this same experience to all of our guests.

I am sorry that the carpet was not cleaned properly. I hope you let us know as we would have been happy to send someone up right away to vacuum the carpet. It is nice to read that this did not hamper your stay and you had an enjoyable visit.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I do hope you return and please know we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

The staff were the highlight of the visit. They were were courteous, helpful, and knowledgeable. They were able to answer a number of questions about metro stops and historical attractions. The shuttle to the metro and airport is very convenient.

Rooms are very spacious. The biggest concern was that the rooms were too warm. We turned the thermostat down to 60 but still felt like we were in a sauna. Only solution was to open the windows which meant we had to listen to street traffic all night. Something in the mechanical system banged all night. Bottom line my wife and I did not get much rest.

The complementary breakfast had a wide variety of yummy items. May have been a busy Sunday morning but it took a long time to replace depleted items and there was a long wait for omelettes.

The indoor pool is very small. Once it reaches its limit (I believe it was 34 or 24 guests) the door is locked until someone leaves.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for posting your review. It is very rewarding to read that the staff had such a positive impact on your stay. We strive to offer this experience to all of our guests as we understand that often times it is the customer service that makes the difference to our guests.

I am sorry to read that your suite was not comfortable and you did not get proper rest. I am sure this was frustrating to you and your wife and once again I apologize.

The omelet line is very popular, but the experienced omelet cooks typically keep the line moving very quickly. I am sorry this was not the case for you, but glad you found the offerings at breakfast to be delicious. There is a fire-code limit to the amount of people allowed in the pool area and when the line is longer the life guard will monitor the crowd to ensure when someone leaves others can come in.

Thank you again for your review and choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon. As always I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

jennifer.geiger@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport? Share your experiences!