“Family Trip” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Family Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Can not beat this for its location to downtown Washington. Staff were excellent as was the room. The only let down was the hotel restaurant for evening dinner. My burger was undercooked and we were the only people in the place so it should have not taken over 20 minutes for two scoops of ice cream to arrive for the children, but it did. Three items just never arrived. Overall I would have to give the restaurant 5 or 6 and the hotel a 10.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are fortunate to have a location that makes it so simple to get into DC while not having to spend the extra money to stay inside the District. I am glad the location made your stay an even more enjoyable one.

Your comments on the staff are appreciated as they work hard to ensure each guest interaction is a positive one. It is disappointing to read about your experience in the Crystal Grill. The Director of Food & Beverage would like to speak to you to get more detail and see what can be done to help make it right. I do hope you send me some contact information. As you and other readers can see from the many other reviews mentioning the restaurant, your experience is not the norm. I am sorry we let you down in the Crystal Grill.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

702 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Midway, AR, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here four nights in a row, and were very pleased with it all, but especially the wonderful breakfasts and nightly reception. The rooms were clean and staff was superb. Would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. It is so nice to read about your great stay experience. The complimentary breakfast and manager's reception make the value of the Embassy Suites almost unbeatable. I am happy to read you enjoyed these amenities and they helped make your stay an enjoyable one.

I appreciate the kind words on the staff and you mentioning your clean suite. The staff works hard to offer this same experience to everyone. Thank you again for your review and recommendation. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I got food poisoned. The breakfast service is unsanitary. Plates had food and egg stains from prior use and obviously not well cleaned. The person at omelet station did not know how to make an omelet. It was runny and contained big chunks of uncooked vegetables. Fruits were stale and after I got sick I got scared that the cantaloupes I ate contained listeria. Juice machines would just pump water most mornings and did not get filled for some time. Overall the service was very poorly managed and the staff needs a good lesson on what is considered clean. Staff attitude needs to be improved especially when services are requested 90% of the time response received was negative without even checking. Example: A request for a regular tea bag triggered a response that it would be available only when they finish the flavored tea bags.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. While I am sorry that you became sick, it is highly unlikely the cause was the breakfast. On any given morning we can have 600 - 1000 people enjoying breakfast and thankfully, we have had no one else mention getting sick. Had it been a case of food poisoning, it would have affected other guests as well, especially because so many enjoy the foods/fruits off the buffet. Actually, a case of food poisoning it can take days to cause any reaction which is why it is so difficult to determine the cause. So while you may have gotten ill at the hotel, the cause most likely was not the breakfast. Again, I am sorry you got sick and hope you were still able to enjoy your visit.

My apologies that you received a plate that was not cleaned properly. Each plate is cleaned both by hand and machine so it is unusual for a dirty plate to make it through. However, I can understand why this would be disappointing and I again apologize. One of our biggest sources of compliments is the omelet cooks, which is why it is so surprising to read that you were unhappy with your omelet. These cooks have been with us for 10+ years and make 12,000+ omelets a month. The large majority of people really enjoy their omelets, but I am sorry this was not your experience.

The juices are a big favorite to go along with breakfast and I am sorry they appeared to not be refilled regularly. The staff is usually on top of this as they understand a good glass of OJ makes the breakfast so much better. The Director of Food & Beverage will be sure to remind the staff of this. I also apologize that you received a rude response when inquiring about tea bags.

Truthfully, while I am deeply sorry you did not enjoy your breakfast experience, it is so out of the norm to receive comments like these about the staff. I hope both this reviewer and readers of this review will read the many other comments on the breakfast to realize this is not typical of a guest experience.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return. I am confident that you will have a much different experience should you give us another opportunity. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend and found the property to be conveniently located to the Metro rail system and shopping! Great buffet breakfast and evening cocktails (for those who drink). The room was spacious. Would be nice to have a few plates and utensils in the room. (Have to go down to the bar/restaurant if you want these items). Front desk staff was friendly. Easy access to major highways. Kiosk for printing boarding passes is fantastic! Please change the lotion in the bathroom, no one wants to smell like avocado. :)

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your review and choosing to stay with us. We are fortunate to have a location that is so close to the Airport, Metro, Washington DC, and a major shopping mall. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and Manager's Reception.

I appreciate the suggestion for utensils and will pass this on to the Brand Team. Hilton Worldwide keeps the room amenities consistent from hotel to hotel. However, they add items based on guest suggestions and yours is very much appreciated.

It is kind of you to mention the friendliness of the desk staff. Interestingly, I just received a comment about how much someone else loved the lotion and wanted to order some for home. Again, it is a brand decision as to what lotions are offered.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. We will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was our first stay at an Embassy Suites Hotel. Our room was spacious with 2 queen beds and a hide-a-bed couch for 2 adults, 3 children. The hide-a-bed couch was not particularly comfortable, perhaps a new mattress would help. The suite was clean and we had plenty of room for the 5 of us.

We arrived early for check-in and did not expect to be able to check-in early......we were told that we could not at first and resigned ourselves to sitting on the lobby couches for a while, however, when the front desk supervisor realized that our teenage daughter was ill from the flight, he graciously found an available room.

The complimentary breakfast was plentiful and varied, something for each of us.
The Manager's reception also had a nice variety of food and drinks offered that we definitely took advantage of during our 6 night stay.

Mid-point during our stay, I noticed that people were asking for free water bottles, so I asked for 2 from a female clerk, the same male front desk supervisor who had been so pleasant when we checked in, abruptly told me that they are not to be given out every day.....his demeanor came across as very snappy and I felt like I had just been reprimanded......particularly as we had already been there several days and I had always brought along my own water on our outings.

All other employees that we encountered were very pleasant.

We did not use the wired internet because of the additional cost, instead used the free internet in the Lobby.

There were a few cleanliness issues.....a spider web on the top floor beside the elevator that was there our entire stay. A few bits and pieces of garbage on the hallway floor and room service trays that seemed to remain in the hallway for a long period of time.

As previous reviewers have stated, the pool is quite small and can be crowded but it was still enjoyable. The addition of a lifeguard may seem unnecessary at first, but it really is a good idea to keep an eye on the kids when it gets crowded. I can't seem to remember the older Lifeguard's name but he was genuinely friendly and helpful.

The shuttle bus is very convenient to go back and forth to the metro station....really less than a 5 minute ride. We walked back once and it is a very short distance.

Our teenage son learned a lesson with respect to ordering room service......a $10. delivery charge was an extra that he certainly wasn't expecting......$30 for soup and a chicken quesadilla!

We had an early morning flight, unfortunately the shuttle does not accommodate early flights. We tried to book a taxi the night before and were told that we were unable to book ahead, to call in the morning instead.....and because of vehicle regulations in D.C., taxi's are not able to carry 5 passengers, so we had to order 2 taxis for our family......interestingly, one taxi charged $8. more for the same distance!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. The suite is really nice for all guests, but especially for extended stays and/or with children as the extra space makes it much more comfortable. I am sorry the pull out sofa bed was not as comfortable as you were expecting, but hope you still were able to enjoy a nice sleep.

We try to accommodate all early check in requests, but it is based on availability. I am glad we could assist you with one and hope your daughter's illness did not last too long so she could enjoy her vacation.

The complimentary breakfast and the Manager's Reception makes our guest's stay have an excellent value and I am glad you enjoyed both amenities. I am sorry that you felt disrespected when you inquired about water. The person you spoke with certainly did not mean for it to come across this way.

Having the complimentary Internet option at the quiosks and business center is nice for our guests that do not pay for the guest room Internet. The restaurant team makes frequent runs up to the floors to take the trays down, but I am sorry if some remained longer than they should have. Your comments about the spider web and garbage in the hall have been shared with the housekeeping team.

I am glad to read that despite it being crowded that you enjoyed the pool. The pool and lifeguards are managed by an outside company but I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to them. Many of our guests enjoy having the option of taking the shuttle or walking to the Metro. Usually after a long day of touring the shuttle is preferred!

As with most hotels, room service can become expensive. While some guests do not mind and enjoy that option we do offer the option of picking up food at the bar or dining in the Crystal Grill.

Gardner, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Very nice Hotel, the food was great, Staff was very courteous, and the bed was very comfortable. The room was clean except for the vent. When the front desk was advised, maitenance responded right away. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. It is so nice to read that you enjoyed your stay so much. I appreciate you mentioning the staff being friendly and the food being great. Our staff works hard to offer this same experience to all of our guests. I am sorry the vent was not clean as that should have been caught prior to check in, but glad the engineering department responded quickly to resolve the issue.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The Embassy Suite was wonderful. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Hotel and rooms were clean. Breakfast was amazing. Easy access to the Metro and the city
great service and frendly team to guest

Room Tip: The Embassy Suite was wonderful. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Hotel and rooms were clea...