“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando, Florida
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We recently stayed at the Embassy Suites Crystal City. We loved the breakfast and spacious rooms. The staff was friendly and helpful with every question and need. When asked where the best place for Fourth of July fireworks, a map was provided to us by the front desk with helpful hints on where to enjoy the fireworks without being with the thousands and thousands of people on the National Mall. The only problem we had was the size and limited use of the pool. The pool was so tiny for the size Embassy Hotel. To make matters even worse the Doubletree Hotel was also sharing with the Embassy Pool. We had to leave the pool to allow others from Doubletree to use it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had a nice stay and enjoyed the extra space the suites offer compared to a standard hotel room found elsewhere. I am glad you got some tips on where to enjoy the fireworks display from. While the idea of going into DC is nice, it can be stressful due to the thousands of people (all departing at the same time). The display looks the same from the VA side of the river and there are far less people to maneuver around.

I am sorry the size of the pool upset you. We typically do not share the pool with the Doubletree, but theirs was out of order and they have allowed our guests to go there when our pool was unexpectedly closed. Again, I am sorry for any frustration or inconvenience this caused you.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

690 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Hotel was wonderful. Offering free breakfast, free shuttle to DCA and a daily evening reception offering drinks and snacks. The rooms were large and wonderful having two rooms with televisions. Having a fridge and microwave was an added plus...Great Family hotel..

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is so nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of the complimentary amenities that the Embassy Suites Crystal City offers.

We know there are so many hotels to choose from and sincerely appreciate you choosing to stay with us. Thank you again for your review I do hope you return. Please know that we will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Germantown Hills, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The rooms and staff were nice for our stay the week of July 4th.

My main complaint is that the pool was very small and shared with the Doubletree Hotel. The lifeguard "saw" a cloud in the sky every night Mon. through Weds. so closed the pool. When we went outside to check the weather and up to our room to check the weather channel and local channels, there were no reports or radar indications of lightning or threatening weather in the area. I think the lifeguard just wanted a break! We sadly decided not to get our suits on and attempt to use the pool Thurs or Fri. Very disappointing to the kids!
The schedule seems to be 45 minutes of swimming for 35 people on the hour and then closed for 15 minutes to check chemicals. Well some people just went in the hot tub for 15 minutes and left or went in the pool for half hour and left. By half past the hour there were ususally only 10 people in the pool, but noone else was allowed in for just 15 minutes. I witnessed several crying children heading away from the pool so disappointed. There has got to be a better way.

The week of July 4th the management knows the hotel is full--they need to open up the extra room for seating every breakfast and evening reception, not just when a group requests. It was a real hassle with children carrying food and drinks around a crowded area searching and searching for seats. People were using the block walls as tables and seats, which I am sure the health department would not approve.

Also the metro shuttle was always always full and some drivers allowed standing and others didn't so you never knew what to do. Also the shuttle drivers always got out and walked into the lobby through the throngs of people and never explained if their shuttle was going to the airport or the metro--very confusing... My suggestion would be to use the largest shuttle for the metro trips and the smaller shuttle to the airport at least for July 4th week. The most people I ever saw getting on the huge airport shuttle were 3, while there were always crowds of people awaiting the little metro shuttle at metro and the hotel.

The maids did an excellent job with the large population and the front desk was good, but the amenities (pool and food) were not living up to the expected standards.

Thanks for listening.

Room Tip: I haven't downloaded my photos yet, but I wish I had so I could show the two beautiful huge flag...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad you found the staff to be nice and enjoyed your suite accommodations.

The pool is not typically shared with the Doubletree, but they had an emergency close to their pool and sent some guests over. Being the pool is surrounded by glass there are rules the lifeguard needs to follow regarding closing when lightning is present. We do not want our pool to be closed as this becomes an inconvenience and disappointment for our guests. However, we do need to keep our guests safe. The standard rule is that once lightning is spotted, the pool must close and can not reopen until 30 minutes after the last lightning is seen. Unfortunately, so far in July, we have had many thunder storms (a lot more than normal). I am sorry this upset you, but hope you realize it is done to keep you and our other guests safe.

I am unsure why the pool would have been closing every 45 minutes. This is the first I have heard of this. The pool generally stays open for the entire time it is scheduled to be open with the only exceptions being if there is lightning, some becomes sick, or if the lifeguard needs to step away, (which is rare). The pool is run from an outside company and I will pass on your comments to the director, but again our pool should not be closing every 45 minutes. I really am sorry you were disappointed with the pool.

Actually, the airport shuttles are just as busy, but I appreciate the suggestion and will share it with the Director of Front Office. The drivers are supposed to let guests know the shuttle destination and I am sorry this did not occur. We do our best to keep up with the demand for the shuttle and often times deploy a 2nd shuttle to take people over if the first one is full. Thankfully, the hotel is located only 4 blocks from the station so many guests choose to walk.

I appreciate you mentioning the housekeeping and front office teams. They do work hard to ensure all of our guests are happy. Thank you again for your review and I am sorry about the challenges you had with the pool and shuttle. I do hope you return and please know that we will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Elyria, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Clean, spacious, nicely-decorated rooms. Breakfast and evening reception were good, but a little harried at times since it was during a holiday period (we were there from 7/1/13 - 7/7/13). The regularly-scheduled shuttle to Pentagon City was nice (they will also shuttle you around the Crystal City area but you have to request it in advance). Sometimes the shuttle was full (it is shared with the Doubletree Hotel) but the hotel did the best it could to accommodate the extra riders by pulling another van into service. Within walking distance to 2 metro stops (Crystal City and Pentagon City). Tons of restaurant options in the immediate area. This hotel will be our first choice when we return to the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am happy to read that you had such an enjoyable stay. Yes, the July 4th holiday does bring in a lot more people, but I am glad you were able to take advantage of and enjoy both the Manager's Reception and complimentary breakfast.

This hotel is one of the few in the area to offer shuttle service to any point within Crystal City which makes getting to the many restaurants much easier. Like other hotels we do offer scheduled shuttles to Reagan National and the Metro. Many guests enjoy having the option of taking the short walk (10-12 minutes) to the Metro or riding on the shuttle.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your return and we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations so we can remain your hotel of choice in the DC Metro area. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Excellent hotel in a safe area with all amenities within walking distance. Friendly proactive staff, great breakfast and an enjoyable happy hour. Good vehicle or metro access. A real bonus having washing machines and dryers available. I will happily stay hear again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am glad you had a nice stay experience and found the location to be convenient for your needs. The complimentary amenities make the value of the Embassy Suites nearly unbeatable it is nice to read that you enjoyed both the breakfast and Manager's Reception.

We have heard from guests that really liked having the new washers/dryers available as guests can check on line for machine availability and have a text sent when the load is done.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. Should you return, please know that we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

College Station, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Arrived July 1 and checked out July 5, 2013. We had prepaid through a package deal in Orbitz, and had no problem checking in. We had a two room suite; 15 year old son slept on pull out bed in living room. Rooms were clean and beds comfortable. Close to metro stations; only used the hotel shuttle once since it was close enough to walk. Didn't use pool or weight room. Free breakfast was good. sign in elevator gives high traffic times for breakfast so you could plan ahead. Within walking distance of shopping, restaurants and convenience stores. Did not purchase the Internet use but the few times I needed Internet used the computers in the hotel lobby for free. Business center was useful for printing boarding passes. All staff were pleasant and helpful. Front desk can provide a list of local restaurants. Would definitely stay there again. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am so happy to read that you had a great stay experience and enjoyed your suite. It is so nice to have the two room suite; especially for families as the kids stay in the living room (pull out queen sofa bed) while the parents enjoy the king size bed.

Many of our guests enjoy having the option of taking the complimentary shuttle or walking (10-12 minute walk) to the Metro Station. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the breakfast and took advantage of the complimentary Internet Quiosk as well as the business center.

Thank you again for your review and recommendation. Should you return, please know that we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Embassy Suites Crystal City has a great front desk, great rooms, nice breakfast (although they run out of stuff because its so popular), free drinks at happy hour, nice but small pool, and is very convenient both for those with cars and those who use public transport, including to local malls and restaurants. Families will appreciate the buffets and pool. Get to breakfast early because of the lines, and ask for your omelette made with shelled eggs. We did find one extra grumpy bartender at the manager's reception, but otherwise the staff was sooo helpful.

Room Tip: I think some of the highest rooms have extra amenities and laundry is closer (9th and 11th floor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is so nice to read that you had an enjoyable stay. I appreciate the kind words on the friendliness of the staff and apologize for the grumpy bartender.

The breakfast staff works hard to keep up with the demand during breakfast. The most popular times for breakfast is about 30 minutes prior to it closing as all of the late sleepers come down. I agree that it is best to get there early. The omelet cooks are happy to meet that request or any others a guest may have to enhance their omelet experience.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. We will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport? Share your experiences!