“Convenient, Great Staff, Nice Hotel...but watch out for peak school travel times” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport

Ranked #21 of 48 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Embassy Suites in Crystal City is one of my favorite places to stay on business. It is convenient to the city's Metro, and made even more so by the shuttle service to the Pentagon City Mall Metro Station and Reagan National Airport that run every 30 minutes. The staff is superb, the rooms are 2-room suites typical of Embassy Suites locations. The hotel has approximately 280 rooms, which often makes it easy to get reservations. But...beware of spring break and other peak school travel weeks.

Our stay was the second week of the annual Cherry Blossom festival, the week before Easter. The hotel's roughly 280 rooms can accommodate 280 business travelers, or up to 1120 kids. During our stay, it was much closer to the latter than the former -- and this can and did play havoc with almost everything. The pool was almost always closed as it had reached peak occupancy, the breakfast buffet quickly ran out of food and the staff, while working as fast as they could, were unable to keep up with the horde of high-school kids who ate through the buffet like a plague of locusts. The hotel had only two elevators working for the first part of the week, which left those on lower floors sometimes waiting over 30 minutes for an elevator ride as the large student classes filled the elevators going to and from their rooms. While the daily maid service did a great job of keeping up with the towels, it had difficulty with the finer attention to detail items (changing the ice bucket liner, changing out used glasses, etc...) as they were also spread a bit thin. By late in the week, the 3rd elevator was operating and the lines to go up and down were gone, but the other issues associated with the very dense level of occupancy remained. As others have written, however, the staff is very polite, and well-trained, so in the end you sympathized with them as it was hard to be upset given their circumstances.

Overall, this is a great hotel with great staff. The 4 stars represents the average rating across my 3 recent visits. Sub item ratings are specific to this stay. If you are booking, and you are not a patient person, I would recommend you steer clear during high school travel weeks (e.g., spring break/Cherry Blossom Festival). In more normal weeks, this is a great and very enjoyable place to stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors (9-11) work best during peak occupancy, as you can get an elevator...or use the stairs...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for the review. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay. We are fortunate to have such a great location that allows our guests to choose whether to walk to the Metro (7-10 min walk) or take the complimentary shuttle. As you correctly stated, getting into DC is so simple that the cost savings of staying in Crystal City vs staying inside the District make it a no-brainer.

I am glad you found the mattress to be comfortable, but very sorry you felt the pillows were too soft. It is very disappointing to read that the drawers were not cleaned properly and I am certain the Director of Housekeeping will follow up on this. If you did not let us know while you were here, I hope you will follow up with me to let me know the room number. We do try to meet all requests for refrigerators and I am sorry one was not made available to you.

The parking is $26 per day for self park and there is in/out privileges meaning no extra charges should have applied for entering/exiting the garage as needed. I am sorry the breakfast cost was too pricey, but glad you found another alternative in the area. '

It looks like you took advantage of all the amenities that the hotel has to offer. I appreciate the recommendation and thank you again for your review. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

728 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I typically like Embassy Suites and even after this experience I would stay at another one, but this particular hotel was disappointing.

The staff at the reception area was extremely friendly. Check in was very easy. There was plenty of parking in the garage and it was included in the price of the room. The room itself was just not up to the standard I would expect from such a highly rated hotel. For example, the kids dropped something and look for it under the bed and they pull out all this other stuff. yuck. Very dirty. Same with under the couch and TV stand. I just hate that.

The hook behind the bathroom door was missing, but you still see the holes where they were and then here and there you see splatter on the wall where someone spilled something and it's not cleaned up, but I see the stains. The hotel room needs to be thoroughly cleaned. One pet peeve of mine is when the coffee is not replenished in the room. I don't drink decaf and would like the regular coffee replenished daily.

Of course, the free breakfast is one reason so many people choose Embassy Suites including us. It's a complete madhouse, but that's to be expected since it was spring break weekend, but those poor folks working there so hard ... they needed some help, but the worst for me is each day they ran out of coffee. I had to wait for the coffee to be made. So, one day no coffee in the room and no coffee downstairs. Not a good day for me to start the day.

Next time we'll stay at the Embassy Suites in DC again rather than staying here and taking the Metro.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you found the staff to be friendly and that you booked a room package that included parking.

The Director of Housekeeping is very interested in following up on this and I hope you contact directly so we can identify the suite number you stayed in. I apologize that the cleaning of the suite was not up to your standards (or ours). I do hope you and other readers will look at the many other reviews to know this was isolated to your suite and not a common problem in the hotel. Again, I am sorry we let you down in regards to the cleanliness of your suite.

I appreciate you mentioning how hard the staff worked during breakfast. Spring break is very busy and it can be difficult to keep up with the demand. I am sorry this appears to have been the case when you came to breakfast. I can understand why you would be frustrated not being able to start the morning off with coffee and apologize this occurred.

Thank you again for the review and please do contact me directly. As always, I do invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was a great location and the price was much better than in the city. The only reason I won't give it 5 stars is that we were there during Spring Break and the breakfast was a crazy situation. The cook couldnt have been any slower making omlettes and the rest of the food was basically cold or out. The staff was working their tails off but they simply could not keep up. The elevators were also very busy and one must of been broken because only two worked and they were always full. I would go back but just be careful during holidays. The rooms are great and clean and shuttle service was a plus to the metro or it was just 3 blocks away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. It can be a big savings to stay in Crystal City vs staying inside DC and actually, with the Metro being so close, it can be easier to get to the attractions from our location than from hotels inside the district.

Spring break is a very busy time in the DC area and I am sorry that we failed to keep up with the breakfast crowd. I appreciate you mentioning how hard the staff was working to try to do so.

Thankfully the elevator project (which took close to a year) is now complete and all elevators are up & running. I am sorry for the frustration only having two guest room elevators caused.
It is nice to have the option of walking to the Metro or taking the complimentary shuttle. I am glad to read that you took advantage of the shuttle service and that you enjoyed your suite.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Room was very nice, and it slept my whole family in the spacious suite. Breakfast was great, and was available until a little after the weekday cutoff time of 9:30. Shuttles are a big convenience- there are two that we used: one to the Pentagon City metro stop (blue and yellow lines), which is also a location for a big mall; another to DCA airport. They both run twice an hour, regularly. We had occasion to eat dinner at the hotel's grill, and the food was quite good.

If you plan to visit DC / Northern VA for tourism, this hotel is an excellent option.

I have one comment: the hotel has 3 elevators to the upper floors, but one seemed to be out of service. As this was spring break and the approximate time frame of the cherry blossom festivities, there were a lot of people trying to use the elevator at all times that we were riding up/down. , I know that things happen sometimes, but I think that this would have been an excellent time to have all elevators running. My family and I got up/down by the service stairs, most of the time.

For those who couldn't negotiate stairs, it appeared that a typical "busy-time" wait was ~10 min. Moreover, there was a high school group (or perhaps two) staying at the hotel--when they rode the elevators the wait times exceeded 15 min. These students and their chaperones didn't make way for other guests to use one of the cars. In this situation, it might have been nice to have a hotel staffer directing traffic.

Overall-- a great stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review. It is great to read that the awesome amenties offered at an Embassy Suites helped make your stay even more enjoyable. It is nice to have a large suite for the family to unwind in as it is far more comfortable than a cramped standard hotel room. The breakfast is a nice way to wake up each morning and I am glad you took advantage of this complimentary amenity.

Many of our guests like having the option of walking to the Metro or taking the complimentary shuttle. The shuttle to the airport is a big convenience and unlike most other area hotels that only shuttle to the airport & Metro, we also offer a shuttle to all other points in Crystal City. This makes getting to restaurants, offices, and shops very easy for our guests.

I appreciate the recommendation to the readers of your review. My apologies that the elevator was not in working order. Actually, the elevator updates was part of a nearly year long project as each elevator had to be taken off line for months one at a time. We had hoped to have them all back by Cherry Blossom time, but the inspection on the last elevator got pushed back and we were unable to open it until this was completed. I am happy to say that as of Friday 3/29/13 our elevator project has been completed and all elevators are in working order. Again, I am sorry that the inspection delay caused one to not be operating during your stay.

Thank you for the review and I hope you return soon. We will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. Once again, I am sorry one of the elevators was not able to be used to help speed up the wait time. I appreciate the suggestion to have a staff member help manage the crowd and I will be sure to pass this comment on to the management team. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from 2 days at embassy suites crystal city. Great location. Just 5 minutes by car to all the Washington, D.C. Monuments and museums. Metro 2 blocks away. Hotel was spotless and very comfortable. Staff was very helpful and had shuttle service to metro and local restaurants. The buffet breakfast was delicious and there were many choices. Cooked to order omelettes, pancakes, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit, and plenty more. Each night there was a 2 hour managers reception with free drinks, alcoholic and regular and snacks. Pool was very nice. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read you had an awesome visit. The location of the hotel is favorable for people coming in to tour Washington DC. It is usually far less expensive to stay in Crystal City than in DC and actually can be easier to get to some attractions than from hotels inside Washington DC.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your suite and found the staff to be helpful. The breakfast & Manager's Reception make the value of your rate a fantastic deal. It is important to remember that when comparing hotel rates.

Thank you again for your review and the recommendation. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Happy travels –

Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This Embassy Suites is well taken care of and it shows. The rooms are clean. The staff is helpful and friendly. This hotel is a short 5-10 FREE Shuttle ride to or from Reagan National and it leaves/picks up every 30 minutes. The other nice thing is that every 30 minutes they also have a FREE shuttle to and from the Pentagon City Metro stop. This was real convenient when it was cold and windy. We did walk it from the hotel and it took a little over 10 minutes. Going into D.C. taking the Metro is the only way to go. Buy a pass on line and the Metro mails you the card and you can refill the value at the stations easily.

The managers special was good and had fresh veggies along with chips and pop corm. The breakfasts were OK. It was the same thing on the breakfast bar for four morning but they had fresh fruit and they will cook eggs as omelets or fried. so it was OK. The bacon was a little greasy and undercooked. The omelet line is slow and I think it is because they use a metal ring to form the omelet. This takes longer for the egg and filling to cook as compared to other Embassy Suites where they just use the grill top to cook the omelet.

The hotel room cost here was less than in D.C. And taking the Metro is rather cheap and very FAST even at the end of rush hour. I will stay again and will recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Stay up high since there tends to be lots of school kids here to see the city and at breakfast they...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your hotel experience. Actually, the hotel shuttle leaves every 15 min to/from Reagan Airport from 5:30am - 10:00am and 4pm - 10pm. It runs every 30 minutes at all other times up until midnight. Your are correct that this is very convenient for our guests.

Unfortunately we did not have Spring like weather this past week so it is nice to have the option of riding in the shuttle vs. walking to the Metro station. I am glad you took advantage of this amenity.

The Manager's Reception is a nice way to unwind after a long day of touring! We welcome any suggestions you have as to what you would like to see on the breakfast buffet. We typically offer pancakes, french toast, bacon, eggs, sausage, and potatoes on the line. This is in addition to the muffins, bagels, breads, cereal, yogurt, fruit, and omelets. However, if there was something else you were looking for, please let me know. The metal ring is actually an Embassy Suites standard and all omelet cooks should be using it at all Embassy Suites Hotels. I am sorry that the line moved slowly, but I hope the delicious omelet was worth the wait.

Thank you for the review and for the recommendation. We look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Happy travels –

Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I took my 15 yo son on his first plane ride and we decided to visit DC. I chose this hotel because of the proximity and shuttling service that is offered to the Reagan National Airport. I also chose this hotel because I have never stayed at an Embassy Hotel that I didn't like. Everything was great especially "Ronnie" the life guard at the indoor pool and the staff at the manager's reception. For the amount of money I spent, I would have expected the rooms to be more updated. This is an older hotel and it shows. Things were clean for the most part but the vents and furniture in the room was outdated, also the channel selection was outdated. If the room you book will cost more than $100 a night you may want to look elsewhere in the area, especially if you plan to stay for 2 or more nights. Breakfast was wonderful but 30 mins. before closing the staff begins to shut everything down, so if you show up 30 mins. to closing you will find very little food left. Also give yourself an extra 5- 10 mins for the elevator..store on site very pricey, bring your own snacks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you choosing to stay with us and I hope your son enjoyed his first plane ride.

The staff reviews all reviews so your comment about the lifeguard will be shared with him as will the comment on the Manager's Reception staff.

I am sorry you felt the suite was outdated. We try to keep them as clean and up to date as possible. We welcome any suggestions you or anyone else has for channels to add to our selection. We often make changes based on guest suggestions.

The staff should not be closing breakfast early as we know there are some late risers. I have no doubt that the Director of Food & Beverage will follow up on this immediately. Typically hotel gift shops are pricier than a local convenience store. There are plenty of options in the area if you prefer not to use the gift shop and our shuttle can take you to them.

Thank you for your review and I am sorry you felt let down. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport? Share your experiences!