“Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was a great location and the price was much better than in the city. The only reason I won't give it 5 stars is that we were there during Spring Break and the breakfast was a crazy situation. The cook couldnt have been any slower making omlettes and the rest of the food was basically cold or out. The staff was working their tails off but they simply could not keep up. The elevators were also very busy and one must of been broken because only two worked and they were always full. I would go back but just be careful during holidays. The rooms are great and clean and shuttle service was a plus to the metro or it was just 3 blocks away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. It can be a big savings to stay in Crystal City vs staying inside DC and actually, with the Metro being so close, it can be easier to get to the attractions from our location than from hotels inside the district.

Spring break is a very busy time in the DC area and I am sorry that we failed to keep up with the breakfast crowd. I appreciate you mentioning how hard the staff was working to try to do so.

Thankfully the elevator project (which took close to a year) is now complete and all elevators are up & running. I am sorry for the frustration only having two guest room elevators caused.
It is nice to have the option of walking to the Metro or taking the complimentary shuttle. I am glad to read that you took advantage of the shuttle service and that you enjoyed your suite.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Room was very nice, and it slept my whole family in the spacious suite. Breakfast was great, and was available until a little after the weekday cutoff time of 9:30. Shuttles are a big convenience- there are two that we used: one to the Pentagon City metro stop (blue and yellow lines), which is also a location for a big mall; another to DCA airport. They both run twice an hour, regularly. We had occasion to eat dinner at the hotel's grill, and the food was quite good.

If you plan to visit DC / Northern VA for tourism, this hotel is an excellent option.

I have one comment: the hotel has 3 elevators to the upper floors, but one seemed to be out of service. As this was spring break and the approximate time frame of the cherry blossom festivities, there were a lot of people trying to use the elevator at all times that we were riding up/down. , I know that things happen sometimes, but I think that this would have been an excellent time to have all elevators running. My family and I got up/down by the service stairs, most of the time.

For those who couldn't negotiate stairs, it appeared that a typical "busy-time" wait was ~10 min. Moreover, there was a high school group (or perhaps two) staying at the hotel--when they rode the elevators the wait times exceeded 15 min. These students and their chaperones didn't make way for other guests to use one of the cars. In this situation, it might have been nice to have a hotel staffer directing traffic.

Overall-- a great stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review. It is great to read that the awesome amenties offered at an Embassy Suites helped make your stay even more enjoyable. It is nice to have a large suite for the family to unwind in as it is far more comfortable than a cramped standard hotel room. The breakfast is a nice way to wake up each morning and I am glad you took advantage of this complimentary amenity.

Many of our guests like having the option of walking to the Metro or taking the complimentary shuttle. The shuttle to the airport is a big convenience and unlike most other area hotels that only shuttle to the airport & Metro, we also offer a shuttle to all other points in Crystal City. This makes getting to restaurants, offices, and shops very easy for our guests.

I appreciate the recommendation to the readers of your review. My apologies that the elevator was not in working order. Actually, the elevator updates was part of a nearly year long project as each elevator had to be taken off line for months one at a time. We had hoped to have them all back by Cherry Blossom time, but the inspection on the last elevator got pushed back and we were unable to open it until this was completed. I am happy to say that as of Friday 3/29/13 our elevator project has been completed and all elevators are in working order. Again, I am sorry that the inspection delay caused one to not be operating during your stay.

Thank you for the review and I hope you return soon. We will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. Once again, I am sorry one of the elevators was not able to be used to help speed up the wait time. I appreciate the suggestion to have a staff member help manage the crowd and I will be sure to pass this comment on to the management team. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from 2 days at embassy suites crystal city. Great location. Just 5 minutes by car to all the Washington, D.C. Monuments and museums. Metro 2 blocks away. Hotel was spotless and very comfortable. Staff was very helpful and had shuttle service to metro and local restaurants. The buffet breakfast was delicious and there were many choices. Cooked to order omelettes, pancakes, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit, and plenty more. Each night there was a 2 hour managers reception with free drinks, alcoholic and regular and snacks. Pool was very nice. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read you had an awesome visit. The location of the hotel is favorable for people coming in to tour Washington DC. It is usually far less expensive to stay in Crystal City than in DC and actually can be easier to get to some attractions than from hotels inside Washington DC.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your suite and found the staff to be helpful. The breakfast & Manager's Reception make the value of your rate a fantastic deal. It is important to remember that when comparing hotel rates.

Thank you again for your review and the recommendation. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This Embassy Suites is well taken care of and it shows. The rooms are clean. The staff is helpful and friendly. This hotel is a short 5-10 FREE Shuttle ride to or from Reagan National and it leaves/picks up every 30 minutes. The other nice thing is that every 30 minutes they also have a FREE shuttle to and from the Pentagon City Metro stop. This was real convenient when it was cold and windy. We did walk it from the hotel and it took a little over 10 minutes. Going into D.C. taking the Metro is the only way to go. Buy a pass on line and the Metro mails you the card and you can refill the value at the stations easily.

The managers special was good and had fresh veggies along with chips and pop corm. The breakfasts were OK. It was the same thing on the breakfast bar for four morning but they had fresh fruit and they will cook eggs as omelets or fried. so it was OK. The bacon was a little greasy and undercooked. The omelet line is slow and I think it is because they use a metal ring to form the omelet. This takes longer for the egg and filling to cook as compared to other Embassy Suites where they just use the grill top to cook the omelet.

The hotel room cost here was less than in D.C. And taking the Metro is rather cheap and very FAST even at the end of rush hour. I will stay again and will recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Stay up high since there tends to be lots of school kids here to see the city and at breakfast they...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your hotel experience. Actually, the hotel shuttle leaves every 15 min to/from Reagan Airport from 5:30am - 10:00am and 4pm - 10pm. It runs every 30 minutes at all other times up until midnight. Your are correct that this is very convenient for our guests.

Unfortunately we did not have Spring like weather this past week so it is nice to have the option of riding in the shuttle vs. walking to the Metro station. I am glad you took advantage of this amenity.

The Manager's Reception is a nice way to unwind after a long day of touring! We welcome any suggestions you have as to what you would like to see on the breakfast buffet. We typically offer pancakes, french toast, bacon, eggs, sausage, and potatoes on the line. This is in addition to the muffins, bagels, breads, cereal, yogurt, fruit, and omelets. However, if there was something else you were looking for, please let me know. The metal ring is actually an Embassy Suites standard and all omelet cooks should be using it at all Embassy Suites Hotels. I am sorry that the line moved slowly, but I hope the delicious omelet was worth the wait.

Thank you for the review and for the recommendation. We look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I took my 15 yo son on his first plane ride and we decided to visit DC. I chose this hotel because of the proximity and shuttling service that is offered to the Reagan National Airport. I also chose this hotel because I have never stayed at an Embassy Hotel that I didn't like. Everything was great especially "Ronnie" the life guard at the indoor pool and the staff at the manager's reception. For the amount of money I spent, I would have expected the rooms to be more updated. This is an older hotel and it shows. Things were clean for the most part but the vents and furniture in the room was outdated, also the channel selection was outdated. If the room you book will cost more than $100 a night you may want to look elsewhere in the area, especially if you plan to stay for 2 or more nights. Breakfast was wonderful but 30 mins. before closing the staff begins to shut everything down, so if you show up 30 mins. to closing you will find very little food left. Also give yourself an extra 5- 10 mins for the elevator..store on site very pricey, bring your own snacks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you choosing to stay with us and I hope your son enjoyed his first plane ride.

The staff reviews all reviews so your comment about the lifeguard will be shared with him as will the comment on the Manager's Reception staff.

I am sorry you felt the suite was outdated. We try to keep them as clean and up to date as possible. We welcome any suggestions you or anyone else has for channels to add to our selection. We often make changes based on guest suggestions.

The staff should not be closing breakfast early as we know there are some late risers. I have no doubt that the Director of Food & Beverage will follow up on this immediately. Typically hotel gift shops are pricier than a local convenience store. There are plenty of options in the area if you prefer not to use the gift shop and our shuttle can take you to them.

Thank you for your review and I am sorry you felt let down. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Wyoming, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was a trip to see my son in DC so he could show me the sights, It was also during Cherry Blossom week (March 22 - 25).

Very nice staff. Rooms nice and clean and good size. Full made to order breakfast each morning plus Managers Reception in the evening for 2 hours.

Complimentary shuttle to and from Airport and within 1 mile of restaurants and shopping.

Prompt service to airport!!

All in all, if I ever had to go back to DC I would not hesitate to stay here. Actually, this is where I would stay.

Room Tip: We were assigned Room 514. It was a very nice room away from the elevators. However, it was an &quo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate with Cherry Blossom week, but I hope you had a nice time anyway touring DC.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your suite and the other amenties that make an Embassy Suites such a great value. A shuttle to all points within Crystal City is something few other hotels offer and many of our guests really enjoy having the option of using.

Thank you for your review and for your recommendation. We hope you do come back to stay with us and we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Dixon, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We chose to stay here because of its proximity to Reagan National Airport. The hotel offers a free shuttle to/from the airport and numerous other locations in this area. Check in was a breeze. I requested a quiet room away from highway noise. I was placed on 6th floor near the elevator. It was perfect. No extra noise. No extra walking to get to the room from the elevator. The room was clean and attractive. I was told by staff there were no rooms with a view because the hotel is surrounded by other buildings. I found this to be true, which was not a big deal. Breakfast was very good and met my expectations, as did the nightly manager's special. What I found to be the most convenient amenity about this hotel is that it offers a continuous free shuttle to Pentagon City Metro, which is close, but I wouldn't really want to walk it. It shows up approximately every 30 minutes. I believe it stops around 11pm. Also, the hotel as a separate hotel van that will drop/pick up at area restaurants. Because of this, no rental car is necessary. The only thing the hotel could not offer was a ride to the airport to catch our departure flight. We needed to be at the airport by 4:30 am, and the van service doesn't begin until later in the morning, therefore, we had to get a taxi. Perhaps this is something the hotel can offer in the future. Overall, I would definitely stay at this location again.

Room Tip: The hotel suggested a room near the elevator for reduced noise, and it was just fine and very conven...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. The shuttle from/to Reagan National does offer a great convenience to our guests. Unlike other area hotels, we also offer shuttle to all points within Crystal City which many of our guests take advantage of. You are correct, having this amenity does offer a huge savings as no rental car is needed.

We do our best to meet guest requests and I am glad yours was met. Unfortunately, while the location is great, view rooms are not an option due to the surrounding buildings. However, I am glad to read that you enjoyed your suite accommodation.

Thank you again for the review and the recommendation. I will pass your suggestion for an earlier shuttle on to the management team. However, in all honesty, the demand for a shuttle at that time is not heavy enough to warrant the shuttle starting that early. We are glad to assist in arranging a taxi for guests leaving that early. We look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport? Share your experiences!