“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, Virginia
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was on a business trip to DC and stayed at this hotel for a week. It is like most Embassy Suites in that you have a nice sized bedroom and living area to work or relax in. The managers reception is daily from 5:30 - 7:30 and serves almost any drink type you want for mixers.
The complimetary shuttle will take you to the local resturants and also pick you up if you give them a call before 10 PM.

The only problem I had was with the heating. My room stayed cold and I would have to keep the thermostat set to 82 degrees to keep the room warm. I was talking to other guests and one had the opposite and had to keep their room set to the 60's to keep cool. Their restaurant is expensive and you can get better food at a cheaper price just by going out and using their shuttle or walking a couple of blocks to the underground mall or to 23rd street.

Other than that, it is a great hotel in a great location to everything in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the ice / vending area. The room walls are not very good so you hear everyt...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay. Many of our travelers love that unlike most other hotel brands they know exactly what to expect when checking into an Embassy Suites as in my opinion, it is the most consistent hotel brand out there.

Most area hotels offer a complimentary shuttle to only Reagan Airport and the Metro. While we offer shuttle to these destinations, we also offer a complimentary shuttle to any point within Crystal City. This offers our guests a great convenience and I am happy to read that you took advantage of this amenity.

In the future, please let us know about the challenge with the thermostat. Our engineering team will be happy to correct the challenge you were experiencing as we want all of our guests to be comfortable. It is nice to have the option of dining in or going out.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

703 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Wildwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My family and I stayed at the hotel over President's Day Weekend and were pleased with just about every aspect of our stay. Based upon the price we paid, I feel we received an excellent value.

The complimentary evening reception was a nice treat. While the complimentary breakfast was just okay and got quite crowded, I certainly would not let that alone prevent me from returning in the future. I use the word complimentary because at the price paid, I really would not expect either breakfast or an evening reception with snack and drinks.

My daughter and I enjoyed a swim in the indoor pool which was not crowded at all. The pool temperature in our opinion was perfect. The jacuzzi on the other hand was scorching hot! I noticed a couple enjoying their time in it so I suppose it just wasn't cut out for me.

Yes, you do have to pay $25/day for parking as well as $13 for internet but I believe other hotels raise rates in order to include internet for free. That certainly is not very fair for those who have no interest in using the internet.

The bedroom was a bit on the chilly side but that wasn't a problem for us as we prefer cooler temperatures while sleeping. I could see how this may be an issue for others though.

The hotel staff was very friendly and housekeeping did a great job!

Overall, we were quite pleased with this hotel and will definitely be returning on our next trip to the area!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. It is so nice to read about your positive experience. You are correct, with a complimentary breakfast for each occupant, a suite, and the evening Manager's Reception, there is definite value in an Embassy Suites rate that is not found elsewhere.

I am glad you got to enjoy the pool. The temperatures are checked often and moderated by the pool operator. We have not received many comments about the whirl pool being too hot, but I will pass on your comment to the pool operator.

I appreciate you commenting on the Internet cost. You are correct that hotels do raise the price to include Internet. We do offer complimentary Internet to all guests in our business center and at the Internet quiosk in the Atrium.

My apologies that the bedroom was a little chilly, but I am glad it worked well for your needs. i encourage anyone to contact the operator at anytime for challenges like this so we can have an engineer look at the unit. We want all of our guests to be comfortable.

i appreciate you mentioning the cleanliness of your suite and friendliness of the staff. Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your return. We will continue to work hard to exceed your expectations! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

RANDALLSTOWN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel because it was close to the airport and we had an early morning flight. During this vacation we picked Embassy Suites exclusively for our stays. The staff and faciltiy at the first stay were first rate. Definitely will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you found our location to be convenient for your needs. The complimentary shuttle does make getting to/from Reagan National simple. I appreciate the comment on the staff and will share it with the team.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon... this time for a longer stay! As always, I invite anyone reading my reviews to contact me anytime.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Where do I begin...My family and I checked into this hotel 2/16-2/19. I booked online directly through their website and prepaid for the hotel. After completing the reservation, I went on to order items that I wanted to have in my suite upon arrival whuch was a crib, foam pillows, and extra towels. I also indicated our time of arrival which was 6 pm. So we arrive to the hotel exactly at 6 and check in with a front clerk by the name of Bonnie. When we get up to our room, it was not that clean. There was a long hair on the toilet seat when I lifted it up and there was 2 other pieces of hair on the floor. When I looked in the shower, there was 3 more pieces of hair in the shower. Luckily I travel with those cleansing wipes so I wiped everything down. As if that wasn't enough, all of the things I ordered were no where to be found. Also, the room was bedroom was freezing cold. I go over to the window and there is a breeze coming into the room. I thought the window was opened but it wasn't. It was just a breeze coming in. Okay, so on my way out to park my car at my grandmom's house to avoid paying the SELF parking fee this hotel charges, I stop by the front desk and told Bonnie about the items that should have been in the room but weren't. She said she would alert housekeeping. That was around 6:30. I headed back to the hotel around 9:30. I got to the Crystal City Metro Station at 9:45. I did not see a shuttle (and they have a shuttle) I called the hotel and they said they only pick up at Pentagon City Metro Station. However, when I left the hotel, Bonnie gave me a shuttle card which says they pick up in the Crystal City area upon request and they have scheduled pick ups at the Pentagon City Metro Station. So I was requesting to be picked up at the Crystal City Metro Station which was still in the Crystal City area where they do pick and drop off requests. Bonnie tells me on the phone they don't pick up at Crystal City Metro and I have to walk what is supposed to be 2 blocks and wasn't. Needless to say it was freezing cold outside at 9:45 at night and I had to walk in the dark with my kids! So when I finally get back to the hotel I was so mad I avoided going to the front desk and just straight up to my suite. I get up there and still there is no cribs, pillows, or anything else. So I call the front desk and tell Bonnie and she finally sends someone up to my suite but only with pillows. I then had to tell them I was still missing the crib and someone else comes up with that. That was the first night. The next day we go downstairs for breakfast and it was subpar to say the least. The lady makng omlets really didn't want to be there making them and had an attitude doing it. The tables were piled with dirty dishes and there was nowhere to sit. The homefries were hard and crunchy as if they were chips instead of homefries. We now after breakfast we head up to our suite. We start getting dressed and prepared to go about our day. During breakfast, we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door but we took it off around 11:00 am. We left the hotel around 4:30 pm. On my way out the door I stopped by the front desk and Bonnie was working again. I told her that our room had not been serviced for the day and that there was not a DND sign on the door. She said she would notified Housekeeping. Now we arrive back to the Crystal City Metro Station again in the Crystal City area and I call the hotel to request the shuttle pick us up because they CLAIM they pick up in the Crystal City Area upon request. This time, I was told they only pick up at Crystal City Restaurants so myself and my kids (one being a baby) had to walk. This time, it was around 20 something degrees! By the time I got to the hotel, I was heated. So I go to the front desk and request to speak to a manager. Someone named Vicor Gonzales comes out to take my complaint. I told him everything that had happened in the past 2 days and his answer was to give me 10,000 Hilton Honors Points. He said the points would be in my account by midnight. That was on 2/17. As of today 2/20 as I am writing this review, I still haven't received any points. I sure that was just a plot to get me to go away. Which is fine because soon as I got to my suite, I called Hilton Honors directly and filed a complaint. He also told me that Housekeeping was gone for the day so my room wasn't serviced but he gave me towels and washcloths. So now we are into the early hours of the night. I start smelling cig smoke coming n our room and its getting strong. I was in room 222 which is nonsmoking and room 202 is smoking. The person in room 202 was sitting in his room with his curtains wide open smoking back to back. He smoked so much, the hotel staff had to put some type of fan or whatever outside his room to eat the smoke because it was coming into the hall. So I called the front desk to alert them about the smoke and the air in the window again so they decide to change my room to room 217 but also let me keep room 222 (I don't know why I needed 2 rooms) We I wake up my kids and we all move around 2 am. If hotel management is reading this, you really need to make one floor for smoking instead of having smoking rooms on certains floors. Not everyone smokes! So anyway, now we are heading into Monday 2/18. We skipped breakfast because I did not want to deal with the subpar food and ate somewhere else. When we were ready to head back to the hotel that evening, I called the hotel again and requested a shuttle to be picked up from a local restaurant right across the street from the Pentagon City Metro Station. They picked us up with no problem but I didn't have any hopes by this time. So we get to the hotel and up to our new suite only to find out the keys don't work. I remembered when they gave us the keys, they gave us another breakfast card which was dated to check out 2/18 even though we were checking out 2/19. So a different front desk clerk gives me new keys but not before trying to argue about which room I was supposed to be in. I explained to him that my room had been changed the previous night. So now he is trying to put another hold on my card for incidentials since they first hold they put on was attached to room 222. Luckily before going down to get my keys reprogrammed, I called my bank and had them put a temp block on my card. So now we move to check out day. I go to the front desk to check out and request a shuttle to Starbucks which is in the Crystal City Area and it is a restaurant but since it was across the street from the Pentagon City Metro, I had to wait for the shuttle to go to the Metro instead. Needless to say, we were taken to the Metro and had to walk across the street to Starbucks...I am a Hilton Honors Member and stay mostly at Embassy Suites. I travel A LOT. I am from Washington, DC and visit home often since moving to NY by way of the Military. I WILL NOT EVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN. Some people say "I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy" but actually, if you wanted to refer you enemy to a hotel, it would be this one. I would not refer this hotel to anyone else though and I have already about my terrible experience here to a lot of people! There is no way that anyone from the hotel can write back to this review or justify anything that happened as if it wasn't true because I have EVERYTHING recorded; from the dirty room, to the terrible service and everything in between. Do yourself a favor!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the smoking rooms if you're not a smoker.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that you had such a negative stay experience. I hope readers of this review will take note of the many other reviews to know that this travelers experience is not typical for our guests.

I apologize that the suite was not cleaned to your (or our) expectations. That is unacceptable and the Director of Housekeeping will follow up on this to ensure it is not repeated. I can understand why a cold room would not be enjoyable and again apologize that occurred. I am unsure why the room would have a draft being the windows are sealed shut. However, the Director of Property Operations will look into this further. It must be something unique to this suite as I am unaware of anyone else having that same situation.

It is unfortunate that there was a misunderstanding with the shuttle. We do offer complimentary shuttle service to the Pentagon City Metro Station and our other shuttle is used upon request to other locations (offices, restaurants, etc). If we picked up at both Metro Stations the shuttles would be going back and forth to 2 Metro Stations and therefore not be available for other Crystal City requests. However, being there was the misunderstanding the shuttle should have been sent to get you. I apologize that this was not offered to you. Yes, the walk from Crystal City Metro is 4 blocks and I can understand why you would be upset having to walk in the cold with your children.

You should only have had to request the items once and can understand your frustration. The Director of Front Office and the Director of Housekeeping will follow up to find out where the breakdown occurred. As mentioned in many other reviews, usually the requests for items are met in an efficient manner. I am sorry this was not the case for you.

It is surprising to read about your negative experience at breakfast. The omelet cooks have been with the hotel for so many years and receive very positive comments. I am sorry you were given the impression that she did not want to be there. The Director of Food & Beverage will look into why the home fries were not warmed properly and the dishes not cleared in a timely manner. This should not have been the case.

The Pentagon City Metro station is one stop away from Crystal City. It is not clear to me why if you were informed the night prior we only pick up at the Pentagon City Metro Station that you again went to the Crystal City Metro Station.

The people that work for HHonors are the only ones that can enter the points into someone's account. While Victor sent the request in immediately, it can take 7-10 business days for points ot appear in someone's account. I wish there was a way to speed up that process, but there is not. Perhaps Victor was not aware that when he sent in the request it was not processed immediately so knowing he was going to immediately send in the request, he thought the points would be put in your account. I apologize for the delay in having the points put in your account and the honest mistake in telling you it would be done the same night.

Being it was so late, the agent was trying to accommodate your request to change rooms without having to make you pack up so he offered 217 to go to sleep and left 222 under your name so you could retrieve your belongings the next day. I appreciate the suggestion on the smoking floor and will pass it onto the management team.

I am sorry that you had to explain to the desk agent about why you had two rooms. That information should have been passed on so you were not further inconvenienced. Again, the Director of Front Office Operations will follow up on this with his team to remind them how important communication is.

In all honesty, in my 16 years in the hotel industry I have never had anyone experience so many problems on one stay. While challenges do arise from time to time, it seems almost impossible for one person to experience so many. I am very sorry that you had this type of experience and understand why you would not want to come back. Again, I ask readers of this review to look at our TripAdvisor ranking and read other reviews to understand while this experience is poor, it is on the other side of the spectrum from what our guests typically experience. I am very confident in writing that no other guest will have an experience like this one.

Thank you again for your review and I am truly sorry you had a poor stay. I invite you or anyone else reading this review to contact me anytime.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and had no real complaints. Upon checking in, the clerk at the front almost double charged for my room but I was able to get a manager to correct it. I had prepaid for the room and the clerk was new and did not understand the system. I advised the manager and she fixed everything and allowed us to check in early. The stay itself was excellent. Myself and my wife came to D.C. For my birthday and had a great time. The staff was very accommodating to requests, even for extra coffee and shaving cream. I would recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying here on my next trip to D.C.

Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you had an overall positive experience, but apologize for the initial billing error. Thankfully it was corrected quickly.

I appreciate you choosing to spend your birthday with us and for mentioning your positive interactions with the staff.

Thank you again for your review and recommendation. Happy belated birthday and we look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here in May 2012, fabulous hotel with an amazing atrium. Suite was very impressive with nice touches. Popular and expensive hotel, but that's normal for DC, and I was able to use hhonors points to soften the blow! Well worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had such a great experience in May. The suite and atrium are fabulous amenities each of our guests can enjoy. Keep in mind when comparing costs with other hotels in the area that the Embassy Suites rate not only includes the suite, but also a complimentary breakfast (for each registered occupant) each morning and evening Manager's Reception (complimentary snack, non alcoholic, and alcoholic beverages) each evening. So while the area is expensive compared to some others, the best value is found at the Embassy Suites. Of course, it does help to have HHonors points to redeem!

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin B. Feldman
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

You must meet the night shift property manager, he was so accommodating!!!
Very nice property overall!!!!
We got into the presidential suite, had an awesome experience!!!!!
The hotel itself is beautiful! clean, quiet and nice staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is so nice to read about your enjoyable experience. We are lucky to have Victor as he is constantly looking for ways to ensure our guests have great stay experiences. It is fantastic to know that he helped you achieve this.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me directly.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport? Share your experiences!