“Great room for family of 5” 4 of 5 stars

From $99 with Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando
“Great room for family of 5”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Overall a very good hotel for our family. Like most embassy suites this hotel offered large rooms that fit my family of five well and the housekeeping staff did a great job. I found the hotel staff to be very friendy and helpful. The single best feature of the hotel was the shuttle service, it was fantastic! We used the shuttle to and from the airport and to and from the metro each day. The shuttle was convienent, ran every half hour and in our experience was always on time. The only bad experience was breakfast. I have stayed at several embassy suites and love the breakfast but have never had to the hotel run out of food or wait in long lines. Nearly every morning of our 7 night stay breakfast came with a really long lines, no tables and food running out. Not sure if the breakfast issues are something new or a consistent problem.

Other than the issues with breakfast the hotel really worked well for us, I would recommend it to other families.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad that the suite was perfect for your family. Our guests enjoy that a suite at an Embassy Suites is a true suite with a door between the bedroom/living room and not just a larger room, like it is at other hotels. The shuttle is a great convenience enjoyed by our guests. While the Metro is only a 4 block walk, it can seem a lot longer in this cold weather. We realize people depend on the shuttles and work hard to have them stick to the schedule. It is nice to read that you took advantage of the shuttle.

I apologize for the challenges you had at breakfast. This is not a consistent challenge, but one that we need to fix for next New Year's. There seems to have been many more people at the breakfast than were registered and anticipated. I do hope the readers of this review will be able to read the other reviews given outside of the New Year's holiday to realize this was an isolated incident. We will most definitely work hard to ensure this challenge is not repeated. Again, I am sorry we let you down with the breakfast.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. I do hope you will return soon so we can show you that your breakfast experience is not the typical experience of our guests. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Overall, it was a good trip. As always, the hotel room was exceptional clean and the hotel employees were very friendly. The housekeepers are the friendliest of any hotel we have stayed. The front desk is always a pleasure from check-in to check-out. Even to buzz you out the gate when you forget your card. That is big deal!!!
It must have been a very busy weekend. I've never seen the hotel run out of breakfast food. Both Saturday and Sunday were a challenge for seating. And forget the OJ, they were out. (How did that happen???) Sunday, they actually ran out of bacon, pancakes, OJ and grits (Yes, we like grits!!!) We did show up late but within breakfast hours. But the omelets were fantastic so that balanced out the shortcomings.
And no one can complain when you role back in from a fun day in the city to be greeted by a bountiful manager's reception that is sure to put a smile on your face. We always enjoy the bartenders and how happy the seem to be to see returning patrons. We only wish the restaurant could get it together. Sad to say that even a simple meal with a few salads and an appetizer seemed to be a challenge. We decided to order pizza the next night to prevent any challenges from the restaurant. I truly believe that the entire menu is frozen and microwaved. But no hotel is perfect. I would say skip the the restaurant. Enjoy the clean rooms, the very friendly staff, the warm indoor pool and the generous manager's reception.
Thanks for a great New Year's!!!

Only real complaint: Would it be possible to provide some level of water pressure in the bathroom sink??? We've noticed this to be a common issue in the rooms. We had more pressure in our bar sink than in the bathroom.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had a positive hotel experience. I appreciate you mentioning the friendliness of the staff and recognizing the housekeepers you interacted with. They work very hard to make each exchange with a guest a positive one. We understand sometimes people forget to bring their exit pass and while we need to verify some information, we try to make the process as efficient as possible to our guests can get on their way.

Saturday and Sunday prior to New Year's were extremely busy. Actually, I was working that weekend and noted it may have been the busiest breakfast I had ever seen. We try to prepare properly, but it seemed more people were in the suites than registered or anticipated. We worked hard to try and turn the tables as quickly as possible, but I apologize that you had to wait for one. I can understand why it would be frustrating. I also apologize that we ran out of some items. This typically does not happen and we will work very hard to make sure it is not repeated. I am glad you enjoyed the omelets, but again apologize for the other challenges you had.

Yes, the Manager's Reception is an excellent way to unwind from a long day of meetings or sight seeing. It is remarkable how the bartenders (and a lot of our staff) remember so many of our guests. We get comments often about how a guest was really impressed to be remembered even though he/she had stayed with us so long ago.

I will pass your comment to the Director of Food & Beverage. The items are not frozen or microwaved and apologize that they taste that way. The Crystal Grill should not be perceived that way and I am sure he will work on making positive changes.

While I have not heard about the poor water pressure in the bathroom sink before, it may be a challenge being you have had this experience in multiple suites. I will pass on that comment to the Director of Engineering so he can look into it. I appreciate you letting us know.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to spend New Year's with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Good: Pool (albeit small) for the kids, hot tub, fitness room, breakfast buffet, proximity to DC sites, clean, spacious rooms, lots of diversity/international guests, complimentary shuttle to huge nearby mall and also restaurants, a list of which the front desk provides.
Not so good: $24.95 for parking? Wow! Definitely ask for the room/parking combo (I think it only adds $10 to room charge). I saw it online and asked for it. It was not offered to me, which I felt it should have.
At the risk of sounding like a snob, the staff should not allow people to eat the breakfast buffet in pajamas and without shoes. It gave a classy hotel the feeling of a low budget hotel.
Overall, nice hotel and when factoring not extra charge for breakfast for a family of 4, it is a good value for a nice hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you enjoyed so much of your stay and were able to take advantage of the many amenities offered to our guests. We do have many packages available and some do include parking. I recommend all potential guests check the packages available prior to booking a room to find one that fits his/her needs. I am glad your rate was able to be adjusted to include the parking. The Director of Front Office will remind his staff to recommend a package if they notice one is available that can benefit a guest.

While I agree and would not go to breakfast in a hotel restaurant in my pajamas some guests do. We really can not police that as long as the dress is appropriate (ie. pants/shirt). We do require all guests to wear shoes and I am sorry if someone slipped by unnoticed. Typically, we do ask anyone in the hotels public area to wear shoes for their safety. I can understand why it would be upsetting to have someone in the atrium without shoes and again apologize that we did not notice this.

I appreciate you recognizing the great value in the Embassy Suites rate. In Crystal City average price for a breakfast buffet is $19.00 per person and that does not include an omelet station. So the savings for a family of four is close to $80 per day and I think most would agree that is quite significant. Also keep in mind all guests stay in a suite, which is typically a $20 upgrade fee at other hotels. The Manager's Reception also offers great value as where else can you enjoy lite snacks, alcoholic & non alcoholic beverages for free for two hours?

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Lisbon, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I started out my stay here in a room faced towards the highway and requested to be moved due to the traffic noise. Even the new room on the other side of the building is picking up the noise from the highway. Temperature control has been a big problem while here and I can't see to keep warm (in December). I probably will not stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room opposite from the highway.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that the traffic noise disturbed you. While we do get this complaint from time to time for suites on the lower floors, it is not the norm. If you are a lite sleeper, then perhaps if you return a higher floor would work better for you.

My apologies that you have had trouble keeping warm. The crazy outside weather has definitely kept us on our toes as to whether to have the heat or air on. One day it is 60 degrees and then the next it has been 30 degrees. We do our best, but I am sorry that you could not get comfortable.

Thank you again for your review and should you choose to return, please contact me directly prior to your arrival so I can work on offering you a suite on a higher floor. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me directly.

Clarksville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I'm fairly tired of reading management responses along the lines of "I'm sorry you weren't completely happy but this is why you should be, or this is why it's not our problem". This general approach and attitude is fairly representative of responses to any issues I had when I stayed as well. When responding to the same kind of less than glowing comments over and over again, at some point, the Embassy needs to look inward. Instead of trying to convince your customers that everything is great, it'd be far more productive to actually fix their complaints (housekeeping, elevators, etc) and actually make them happy. Kevin, please stop!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. After reading your response, I did go back and read my responses. I do not see one in which I said it is not our problem as you indicate. When reviews are received, we have very limited information as I can not identify who it is, the dates of stay, or suite numbers. However in every single response I offer my direct contact information so readers or reviewers can follow up with me anytime to discuss a review, ask a question, or go over a stay experience.

You indicate that our reviews are less than glowing, but the previous 5 reviews are titled: Great Stay, Excellent as Usual, Great Value, Great Stay, and Great Hotel. Actually I am happy to let you know that TripAdvisor has given us the prestigious 2012 Certificate of Excellence award. The reason Trip Advisor told us we earned this award is because the reviewers consistently commend our property with the highest praise, and we were recognized for our 4.5 rating as an exceptional achievement.

When a challenge is mentioned, I address it directly the best I can and ask the reviewer to follow up with me directly. I offer that same invitation to you. I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience and would really like to hear back from you regarding the details of what happened.

Thankfully, the overwhelming majority of comments I receive about my responses are very positive and appreciative that a response is given to all reviews. I am sorry that you do not share that opinion, but I am going to continue to respond to the reviews, because so many readers have indicated they find value in the responses.

Our staff does review every single review and absolutely works hard to address the challenges mentioned in the reviews as well as in person. Some challenges, like the elevator project, can not be fixed overnight (although like you, we wish they could). The elevator modernization project is a long one, but necessary to ensure our elevators run as smoothly and safely as possible.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me directly.

NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed two nights in September for a visit to Washington, D.C., and it worked out very well for us. Our toddler daughter slept in the separate living room on the sofabed, which worked out great. We took the hotel shuttle to and from the Metro for our one full day of sightseeing in D.C. The staff was very helpful with directions and suggestions. Restaurant was fine. Free full breakfast was great as was the free managers reception in the evenings. The room was clean and very spacious. We purchased a special rate which included parking at a small discount. The only downside is that I believe they charge a fee for Wifi in the rooms. Would stay here again especially with the convenience of being close to D.C. and the Metro but being able to leave our car at the hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your review. i am so happy to read that you had such an enjoyable stay. So many families love having the living room for the kids. It is great to have a tv in both areas and also the door to close in between the bedroom and living room. Unlike other hotels that offer a suite that is just a large room, this is a true suite due to that door.

The shuttle makes it very convenient to get around Crystal City and having the option of walking to Metro is nice too since it is only four blocks away. It looks like you really took advantage of all the value offered in booking an Embassy Suites. It is really nice to start off the day with a complimentary full breakfast and the complimentary Manager's Reception is an excellent way to start the evening.

There is a charge for wifi in the suites, but we do have packages that not only include parking, but also the Internet. The business center and Internet quiosks offer complimentary Internet and are available 24 hours a day.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Stockbridge, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Had a 2 night stay with 2 rooms and all was as expected. Service was premier, rooms clean and hotel conveniently located to local attractions. Breakfast was great with omelets to die for. My wife was trying to get a spoon for her grits and the buffet attendant noticed this and placed the spoon in her bowl for her without being asked. Great job anticipating her needs. Did not catch her name, but we did make it known to another staff member.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for your review. Many people feel consistency is the key to success so we try to make sure each stay is as expected. It is great to read that you had such a great stay experience. I appreciate you mentioning the breakfast staff member. We understand that the complimentary breakfast is many time the key factor in why people choose to book with Embassy Suites and want to live up to the high expectations. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast experience. Our omelet chefs have been with the hotel 10+ years and know how to make a fantastic omelet.

Thank you for again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport? Share your experiences!