“Very Comfortable, Good Service but Lots of Add On Fees” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Batavia, New York
“Very Comfortable, Good Service but Lots of Add On Fees”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Large, comfortable urban hotel, the usual Embassy suites evening drinks and light (VERY LIGHT) snacks, and excellent breakfast. We were there for a family funeral at Arlington. It was a quick and easy drive to everything from monuments and capital mall to the cemetary itself. Easy walk to numerous restaurants. One of our rooms was highway side, non-smoking; it was very quiet, clean and comfortable. We chose this hotel because it also had a few smoking rooms, which were also clean and comfortable. We had one dinner in the hotel restaurant; it was okay, nothing memorable. Fees for Wi-Fi and parking were steep, considering... Nice hotel, met our needs, but I would probably look at others when I'm in the area again and have no need of smoking room(s).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for the review. i am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Embassy Suites Crystal City. I am very sorry for the reason you had to come in, but glad you chose to stay with us. The location of the hotel is very convenient for both DC and Northern Virginia tourist attractions. The Metro is a simple walk or a complimentary shuttle is offered and our guests enjoy having the option.

The parking charge is right in line with other area hotels and much cheaper than Washington DC. The same for the Internet fee as all full service hotels charge for wireless Internet. We do offer this complimentary at the business center and at an Internet quiosk for those that choose not to pay to have the in suite Internet.

Thank you for the review. I am sorry you would not choose to stay with us, but hope once you call around to find the fees similar in other hotels you will return. When comparing rates, be sure to remember the complimentary breakfast for all occupants, the suite, and the Manager's Reception. These complimentary amenities can be huge money savings as at other hotels you need to pay for each one. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel in Crystal City. Free cocktails in the evenings and great free breakfast in the mornings. Nice indoor pool and gym. ***BEWARE: Ive stayed here twice in the last 13 months. My credit card has been cloned twice over the last 13 months. Unauthorized credit card "charges" from all over the country took place within a few days after each front desk "swipe". Of course, it could just be a coincidence and there is no proof on my part that this hotel had anything to do with it but, just in case, I will definitely use cash here next time. As always, monitor your credit card account carefully at all times.

• Stayed September 2012
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that you had a credit card challenge, but as you mentioned you are unsure it is related to your hotel stay. Over 90% of our guests use a credit or debit card and to my knowledge there has been not one cloning case caused by a guest staying with us. I believe that if card cloning was linked to guests staying with us that we would have been notified from the authorities or other guests, but we have not been. When the card is swiped into the computer and authorization is taken for the proper amount (varies by stay). The credit card number is immediately blocked from viewing and only the last 4 digits are able to be seen. So please know that your credit card number is not accessible to employees.

Hilton Worldwide works hard to protect all of our guests' information and the Embassy Suites Crystal City works on the same system that most other United States based hotels within Hilton Worldwide do. Of course, if you or any other guest wants to use cash, we are more than happy to use that as the method of payment.

Thank you for the review and I hope you return soon. I do hope your card challenge is resolved soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

First up, here are the pro's: Like all Embassy Suites, the rooms are large, comfortable, clean and inviting. The complimentary buffet breakfast is very good with lots to choose from.

The location is ideal as it's just a few minutes walk to the Pentagon City Metro Station, The Fashion Centre shopping mall, and local restaurants. If you're too lazy to walk, a free shuttle will take you there.

I didn't use the pool, so I won't comment on that. I did look into the "fitness center" but passed because it's really just a collection of treadmills and free weights. It could definitely do in a pinch, but you're not gonna get a full workout here.

Now here's my gripes: Any hotel in this day and age that charges you extra ($13 p/day!) for access to the internet is running a SCAM. There's just no justification for this. PERIOD. Internet access does not cost this much. Furthermore, the advertised "high speed wi-fi" is a joke. It's so slow that snail mail would beat any email you send to it's destination. Add to that the fact that the signal continually disconnected and reconnected is even more frustrating. And here's the clincher: when you call the front desk to report it, you get referred to an IT department. The IT department confirmed that the signal was extremely weak and said they'd send somebody to investigate the hardware servicing my floor and then they'd call back to check on my situation. No one ever showed up to diagnose the problem, and no one ever called back. The next morning, I informed the front desk to remove the charge from my bill. Then, when I asked about complimentary wi-fi in the common areas, I was told that there is none. You have to PAY for service in the common areas as well! Ridiculous! Of course, you can use their internet kiosk in the lobby, but then you're tethered to their desktop and it's restrictions. This is the Information Age. I've been in Third World countries with better connectivity than this!

And then of course, there's an extra charge for PARKING! Now, when I'm staying at a hotel in Times Square for example, I expect to pay for parking, but this hotel is in an urban residential district not in some downtown financial area!

The only other negative mark that I had was that in the bathroom (at least in mine) whenever the person in the next room turned on the water in their shower, it was LOUD! I thought something was wrong with the pipes in my room. I had to close the door to the bathroom to drown it out.

So, to sum up: when you make your reservation for this place, you're thinking that you've done pretty well by booking in advance and taking advantage of all the discounts and getting a good price. Now, add in all the extra nickel-and-dime surcharges for internet and parking and you're back over the top to the highest tier rate. You're not saving anything. You could do better elsewhere and have it all included for free.

Will I be staying here again? No. Because I think all the extra surcharges are insulting to consumers. Too bad, because it's a nice hotel in a great location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you enjoyed the spaciousness of your suite and also had a positive breakfast experience. Most guests agree that the location of the hotel is very convenient to both touring DC and enjoying Northern VA.

The decision to charge for the Internet is not one that is made on the hotel level. Hilton Worldwide has made the decision to charge for the Internet in all full service properties (Doubletree, Embassy Suites, and Hilton hotels). This is the same decision made by all major hotel chains (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc) as they too charge for the Internet in their full service hotels. As you mentioned we do offer it complimentary at the Internet quiosks as well as in the business center. The business center has a ethernet cable that can be hooked up to your laptop so you can surf the web on your own laptop. I am sorry that the the decision to charge upset you.

I am unaware of any hotel in this area that does not charge for parking. Our charge is in line with all hotels in Crystal City and much cheaper than inside Washington DC . The parking charge is not something we try to hide as we have it posted on the hotel website and also on the email confirmations that are sent. I am sorry you are not happy with the parking charge, but I invite you to contact other hotels in the area so you can see this is not abnormal at all for this area.

The noise between bathrooms is not a comment we usually receive. I hope you will contact me directly so we can identify the suite you stayed in. The Director of Property Operations would like to investigate this further. My apologies that the noise was so loud that it disturbed you.

I respectfully disagree with your rate assessment. When comparing rates between the Embassy Suites and other area hotels be sure to realize that you will be getting a two room suite (bedroom and living room), a full breakfast for each occupant, and the evening Manager's Reception (complimentary snack, alcoholic & non alcoholic beverages). All of these amenities are extra charges at other hotels. The Internet is also a cost at all full service hotels as is parking. So truthfully, the extra surcharges that you feel you are only going to get at the Embassy Suites will be the same elsewhere. The value of the Embassy Suites rate is unbeatable.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope you reconsider your decision not to return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here for four nights and had excellent service by staff. We had read that rooms on the main highway side can be noisy so we packed earplugs. Our room was on that side but we were prepared and had no problem sleeping. They provide free shuttle service to/from the airport, to/from restaurants and to/from the metro. The metro (Pentagon City stop) is an easy 5-8 minute walk from the hotel with one section on a pedestrian walk. Our room was clean and spacious for two adults/two kids. Breakfast was a very generous and varied buffet. Evening manager's reception provided us drinks and light snacks before dinner. The indoor pool/jacuzzi was relaxing and accommodated a number of people and always staffed with a life guard. All the staff were exceptionally courteous and helpful. Due to a late arrival we did eat one meal in the restaurant. Food was good but our waiter often disappeared for long periods of time. This particular weekend was the 10 mile Army run and we noticed staff handing out bottles of water to runner's returning to the hotel. Very well managed hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for the review. It is fantastic to read that you had such a great stay experience. In all honesty, the comments about hearing noise from the road are far & few between. The large majority of our guests have no challenges with outside noise and I am very glad this was your experience.

The complimentary shuttle is a great convenience to our guests. Unlike other hotels in the area that only offer shuttle to/from the Airport and Metro, the Embassy Suites also offers shuttle to all points within Crystal City. Many guests appreciate having the option of taking the shuttle to the Metro/Mall or walking (as you correctly stated it is a simple walk).

The unique features that make the value of an Embassy Suites so much better than other hotels include the suite, complimentary full breakfast, and the Manager's Reception. I am happy to read that you enjoyed all of these amenities.

I am sorry that the server disappeared for periods at a time. The Director of Food & Beverage will follow up on this. However, I am glad you enjoyed your meal. We really enjoy being a host hotel for so many runners of the Army 10 Miler and the Marine Corp Marathon and anything we can do to make their stay better, such as offer water, we are happy to do.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. I am hopeful you will return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I just spent eleven nights in this hotel and enjoyed every minute. We just wished that our stay could have been longer. When we arrived Ms. Choi, one of the desk clerks, immediately greeted us with a smile and a friendly greeting. When she saw that we had reserved a room for a handicapped person she physically checked the room to see if it was exactly what were had reserved. This very professional young woman made us feel very welcome. The room was excvellent. It met all my wife's needs and with two tv sets it certainly exceeded my expectations. I was able to watch the Giants beat the Reds while my wife watched her shows. The manager's reception was a nice way to unwind before dinner. It had something for everyone and if you enjoy an alcoholic beverage they were available to you at no cost. My personal favorites were the nights that offered fresh fruit and cheese/crackers followed closely by the nights that featured salsa and chips. The morning breakfast was great. You could had a wide variety of choices ranging from fresh made omletts or eggs of your choice to a baegel with cream cheese and just about everything in between My wife was concerned that she would have difficulty getting around in DC but with the help of the Embassy Suites staff she did very well. A shuttle from the hotel to and from the Pentagon City Metro left every half hour and was always on time. If we wanted to have dinner in CrystaL City the hotel would shuttle us to the restaurant and pick us up when we were done. Once again Ms. Choi was very helpful. She drove us to a restaurant on two different occasions because the shuttle driver was not available. When we arrived back to the hotel she gave us a warm greeting and asked us how we enjoyed our dinner. We highly recommend Ted's Montana Grill. The room was large, well appointed, and very comfortable. Since we live on a very quiet street in the suburbs the noise from the highway was annoying but if you are an urban dweller I'm sure it wouldn't bother you at all. Transportation to and from the airport was also excellent. It's a brief ride. The shuttle picks you up outside of baggage claims gate 9 and within a few minutes you're at the hotel. Embassy Suites room rates are very competitive and where else can you get the same ammenities for such a good price? This was the very best extended stay that we have ever had.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your review. It is so nice to read that you had such a fantastic experience. The amenities of the Embassy Suites make it a perfect choice for a long term stay. Our guests feel that it is far better to come back to a spacious two room suite everyday rather than a standard hotel room. Also the value of a complimentary full breakfast each morning as well as the evening Manager's Reception makes an Embassy Suites rate virtually unbeatable by a comparable hotel.

The Giants beating the Reds was a surprise, especially after being down 2-0 in the series, so I am glad you got to watch that. Having two televisions also comes in handy for families as the kids can enjoy a show in the living room while the adults can watch something else in the bedroom.

The Food and Beverage team tries to mix up the snacks offered at the Manager's Reception. You are correct, it is an excellent way to unwind from a long day prior to enjoying dinner. Drinks for free (alcoholic & non alcoholic); who doesn't like that? The breakfast offers so much variety that I am confident that just about anyone can find some food to their liking each morning.

The shuttle makes it very convenient to get around. While the Metro is within walking distance, many guests prefer the shuttle and we are happy to offer it complimentary. While other hotels offer shuttle service to the Metro & Airport, like we do, very few offer complimentary shuttle to anywhere within Crystal City. Our guests enjoy this option as it makes getting around Crystal City much easier. I am glad to read you took advantage of the shuttle service.

Hyunji is an excellent example for our staff. Her goal everyday is to ensure every guest is having a positive hotel experience. I am so glad she exceeded your expectations and helped you have such a nice stay at the Embassy Suites Crystal City. I will be sure the team is made aware of your comments so she can be properly recognized for her efforts.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon so we can work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This Embassy Suites has complimentary shuttle service to Reagan airport, to the metro station and to nearby restaurants and attractions. The staff is very helpful and has lots of good suggestions about where to eat and what to see. It has a pool, fitness center and free internet in thre business center (you have to pay for it in the room).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am glad you found the value of the Embassy Suites to be fantastic. Our guests really appreciate the shuttle service as few hotels in the area have a shuttle on request that goes anywhere within Crystal City. I appreciate you mentioning the friendliness of the staff as we work hard to make each guest interaction a positive one.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Waterloo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel and had a good experience. We had one room with a king bed and then a living area with a pullout couch. Both rooms had big TVs and there was plenty of room for us 4 adults. We didn't really take part in the manager's reception, the 2 nights we were there for it was very close to ending so things were pretty empty. The breakfast was excellent though! It didn't change much from day to day but there was enough to choose from so it didn't get old.

The airport shuttle was super quick and easy, it is so nice to not have to worry about finding your way around. There are a couple of Metro stations that are close to walk to or they'll shuttle you. We just walked. The Crystal City shopping area is very confusing though... the maps don't seem to make sense and we thought we had it figured out once or twice just to be turned around again! It may be worth asking a little direction before you go so you don't end up lost and confused like we were! :-)

The only complaint really is that the elevators were sometimes sketchy, we were on the 4th floor and on a couple of occasions the button would be hit but it wouldn't stop on our floor. It wasn't a big deal to go down the steps when it happened but if we would have been up higher it would have been more inconvenient. Also we had stayed at the Double Tree 10 years ago or so and remember having a great view of the city out the windows at the end of the hallway, and our room didn't really have a view, so we missed that a little. All in all I think we would return if we go back to the DC area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read you had an overall positive experience and found your suite to be spacious enough for four adults. I am sorry you did not make it back to enjoy the Manager's Reception, but glad to read you enjoyed the breakfast. The breakfast offers so much and that is great for everyone, but especially those staying multiple nights as it offers the option of having different items each morning.

The shuttles are a big convenience to our guests and the ability to have the option of walking to the Metro Station/shopping mall or riding on the complimentary shuttle is appreciated by many of our guests. Our staff will be glad to help with directions so please do ask!

I appreciate you mentioning that you had a challenge with the elevator and will be sure the Director of Property Operations is aware. We have routine elevator inspections and preventative maintenance done, but it is always nice when we are alerted to a possible problem so it can be addressed immediately. I am sorry you experienced this challenge, but appreciate your understanding. Due to the placement of the Embassy Suites, very few suites have views. However, our guests make up for the lack of a view with a two room suite, complimentary breakfast, and the complimentary manager's reception, which are not offered at other hotels.

Thank you for the review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport? Share your experiences!