“Hard to do better than Embassy Suites in Crystal City” 5 of 5 stars

From $119 with Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
East Norriton, PA
“Hard to do better than Embassy Suites in Crystal City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I are members of the America's 911 Foundation that holds a 4 day motorcycle ride
which visits each the crash sites of the horrific events of September 11, 2001. Each year this organization raises thousands of dollars for the dependents of our dedicated Emergency Response people in the form of scholarships and other support. One of the three overnight locations is in Arlington, VA (Crystal City in Washington, DC just across the parkway from the Pentagon. The Double Tree hotel normally reserves rooms for the 1,000 or so riders. In 2011,
the Double Tree was booked so we called the Embassy Suites just down the street and reserved a room. What a difference!!! The accommodations and service were outstanding. No matter the question or concern each and every member of their staff were quick to answer and/or resolve it.
The rooms were individual suites and absolutely immaculate. This year the gentleman who provided room service actually remembered us and even remembered the room we were in the previous year!!! That's service. I am not saying the Double Tree is not a fine establishment, but if you want that little extra I strongly suggest the Embassy Suites. Enjoy

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Pentagon and Washington Memorial. You will want to just daydream a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for your review. We very much appreciate the riders with the America's 911 Foundation and look forward to the annual visit. It is a really great thing that the riders do and I am sure so many people benefit from the money raised.

Yes, in 2011, due to it being the ten year anniversary of 9/11 there were much more riders. I am so glad you enjoyed your experience at the Embassy Suites so much. It is quite amazing that the room service employee remembered you from a year ago, but not too surprising as our employees really look forward to welcoming repeat guests.

I appreciate you mentioning the proactiveness of the staff to ensure your stay was enjoyable. Being I work for both the Doubletree & the Embassy Suites Crystal City, I can say the staff looks forward to the annual ride and we look forward to your return in 2013.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone reading the responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Durham, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Room was the usual. However breakfast was horrible. My made to order omelet had a nice clump of frozen spinach. The ready made eggs were under cooked and not hot(dose of salmonella waiting to happen). The pancakes were cold, the syrup was cold. And the Hispanic staff chose to gossip about nothing instead of prepare quality food. (yes they didn't realize I am bilingual)
On a brighter note, the front desk staff was nice and very helpful.
My family normally sleeps in embassy suites when we travel, and by far this is our worst experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your omelet as that is the signature of an Embassy Suites Breakfast. I am sorry if the eggs were not hot enough for you, but as with any food establishment, we often receive surprise county inspections and thankfully have not had a challenge with the temperature of the buffet.

I wish you would have mentioned that after letting us know of your displeasure that the Food & Beverage Director emailed you directly and apologized for your poor breakfast experience. Being you were still in the hotel, he also invited you and your family to dine complimentary for dinner in the hotel restaurant so we could work hard to change your impression of the Food & Beverage operation.

Being that the DC Metro area is a melting pot we do have employees from all different parts of the world. The employees know that many of our guests are bilingual and often talk to the guests in other languages besides English. They also know that regardless of the language they are not to talk negatively about any guest and thankfully we have had no challenges with our staff adhering to that important policy. When speaking to guests, employees will speak English, unless the guest requests another language. However when speaking to each other there are times they will revert to their native language. This should not be done in front of guests, so people that are not bilingual do not feel like the employees are talking about him/her. The Director of Food & Beverage will be sure to remind his staff of that.

I appreciate you mentioning the Front Desk staff was friendly and helpful. Thank you again for the review and choosing to stay with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stay here 3 or 4 times a year. This hotel is a typical Embassy Suites that has been refurbished not too long ago. Good location and friendly staff. Breakfast is good as one would expect from Embassy Suites. Dinner menu is surprisingly limited and fairly expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you had a positive experience. It is great that the Embassy Suites Brand is so consistent that you know exactly what to expect when going from one hotel to the next. Not many hotel brands have the same consistency.

If you have any suggestion of what you would like to see on the dinner menu, please let me know. The Director of Food & Beverage often makes changes and many times uses guest suggestions as a guide.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My family and I went to visit Washington D.C. last week and stayed here. We stayed for four nights and I found the place to be very relaxing. The breakfast buffet was a great addition. Where else can you get hot breakfast with homemade waffle and omeletts. My family and I enjoyed it every morning. We never made it back for the manager's reception, due to us doing the tourist thing! LOL!

I love that the shuttle bus was available and the wait was not long. The location near the metro stop made it so easy for us to get downtown D.C. and back. I loved being able to just park my truck in the garage and not have to worry about driving in the traffic around town. I did find the parking rate to be a bit much, considering the garage is apart of the hotel and you pay to stay there. It would have been good if it was an extra cost but included in my hotel price. The cost of gas for a 12 hour drive and tolls was already taxing.

My suite was very roomy for two children to sleep in the living room. At first glance I found it to be kind of outdated, and need a more homely feel to it; but it was comfortable for our stay.My hubby and I found the bedroom to be a perfect get away from the children. The bed was so incredibly comfortable and a best friend to my body after all the walking in a day. I found it to be quiet and the staff were efficient and friendly. My children complained that the pool was too small, I'm not a pool girl so I didn't even care. I have already recommended it to a couple of co-workers, who are planning their trip in November. I'm hoping to find one in California for my all girls trip at the end of September.

L. Carter

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for the review. That is our goal -- to have departing guests so happy that they want to return. I agree, there is no where else you can get a complimentary full cooked to order breakfast. It is such an excellent value that it makes an Embassy Suites rate hard to beat! On your next visit you'll have to come experience the Manager's Reception.

The complimentary shuttle is a nice amenity for our guests and I am glad you took advantage of it. It is also helpful for our guests that the walk to the Metro is a quick and easy one for those that choose not to wait for the shuttle.

i can understand why the cost of parking would seem high for those coming from areas with lower or no parking costs. However, charging for parking is quite common at area hotels (I do not know one that does not) and you can easily find that our cost is right in line with what other hotels charge. There are packages available that include parking in the rate. I recommend all potential guests go to our website to see the various rate offerings so the one that best fits their needs can be chosen.

It is nice to read that you found your suite to be comfortable. It is such a nice feature to be able to have the kids stay in the living room on the pull out queen sofa bed while the adult(s) can sleep in the bedroom. Families really like that when the kids wake up early (as they all do), they can watch tv in the living room to allow mom and/or dad to get some extra z's in the bedroom.

Thank you for kind words on the staff. While the pool is size challenged, the kids love it. I hope yours did too. I appreciate the recommendation to your co-workers and to other readers of your post. The great thing about Embassy Suites is that unlike most other hotel chains, Embassy Suites Hotels are very consistent. There are plenty in California and I have no doubt that you will be just as happy.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return again soon. As always, I invite any reader of my responses to contact me anytime.

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is our first family trip to DC with 2 young kids (7 & 10). We arrived the hotel around noon before check-in time. Fekadu Kitila, front desk supervisor was so nice and help us to secure the room and also store our luggages, so we can start our tour. Thank you so much for Mr. Feldman blocked the top floor for us, we had a super good view of Washington Monument from our room.
The Suites is specious and my girls always practice their gymnastics skill without banging to the furnitures. It is very nice and clean. The Manager's reception is good but I agreed to some reviewers that not enough seating. The pool is small, but we didn't have time to use it. The business center is a good place to get on internet and it opens 24 hr. I do wish I can get my Gold status of HHonor memeber so the internet will be free. The breakfast is so good, that my kids didn't want to miss. Both hotel staffs & shuttle drivers were very nice and willing to help. The location is closed to everything, so when we didn't want to wait for shuttle, we could get to DC by taxi with cost around $20.00.

We definitely will come back to this Embassy Suites next time when we visit the area. Again, thank you so much for your hospitally and your excellent service, and a special thanks to Mr. Feldman and Mr. Fekadu Kitila.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1112 which has a view of Washington Monument with double bed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. I am so glad to read you had a positive stay experience and the suite offered enough room for your daughter to practice gymnastics. Fekadu is an excellent employee who thankfully has been with us for so many years. It comes as no surprise that your interactions with him were positive and he was helpful. I appreciate the kind comments though. One of the reasons I respond to all the reviews is to allow readers to contact me so I am glad you did and that I was able to accommodate your requests.

We hope you get your Gold HHonors status too! I am sorry you did not find the Manager's Reception area to have enough seating. We do try to keep up with the crowds and turn the tables over as quickly as possible. I am glad the complimentary business center being available 24 hours fit your needs.

You are correct, the cab ride to DC is quick (in non rush hour times) and can be cheaper than the Metro. Again, thank you for your review and recommendation. We look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Once again, our family arrived back for our yearly trip to the DC area. We always stay on the VA side and the savings is great! Most importantly, we love the Crystal City Embassy Suites. We consider this hotel our "home away from home". Upon check-in, we were greated with some familar warm smiles, Lebron Bass and Aton C. It is always nice to see the same staff year after year. The hotel absolutely gleams!!!! My 5 year old loves the pool at this hotel and her mother raves about the hot tub. The morning buffet is beyond outstanding. Friday night was a little busy, however, the bartenders kept the line moving very quickly. Once again, Ms. Meron remembered our 5 year old from previous visits. Since she is a picky eater, Ms. Meron was kind enough to check up on her to see that she was eating her "special, special" food. ALL staff members go above and beyond. When we were venturing out in the 105 degree heat, Aton C. ran from behind the front desk to hand us some ice cold water bottles. This staff really cares about the guests and it shows. Thank you Mr. Feldman for your kind hospitality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your review. We realize you have many choices of hotels and appreciate that you return to stay with us each year. You are correct, the savings of staying in VA vs. DC can be significant.

The sign of a strong hotel is the longevity of the employees and we are so lucky to have such a great staff. They love recognizing repeat guests and it is nice to read you enjoyed being greeted by familiar faces. In this hot weather, the pool is a welcome amenity enjoyed by many of our guests and I am glad your girlfriend and her son enjoyed it.

Meron is another longtime employee and it is amazing how she seems to remember each guest and their likes/dislikes. The Manager's Reception and breakfast do get busy, but the staff work hard to keep the line moving and the tables turned over as quickly as possible. I appreciate you recognizing that.

I also appreciate you contacting me prior to your visit as I really enjoy hearing from people that read my responses; especially prior to their visit so I can help make sure it is a positive experience. Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

After reading the mixed reviews I figured I have stayed in several different Embassy Suites and never had a bad stay. Well I guess there is always an exception. First the positives -- the front desk staff is nice enough, its close to DC and the rooms are suites. Thats about it.

The rest of the hotel staff fluctuated between being rude or annoyed. The evening manager's reception is poorly planned with significantly insufficient seating and instead of being a perfect way to wind down, it was a chaotic and frenzied mess that left most guests uptight and annoyed. The staff who were filling drink orders both nights during our stay were annoyed at every request and would make fun of guests once they walked away.

Breakfast was, unfortunately, worse. The food was mostly just awful. The elderly couple in line ahead of me were confused as to what was being served as it looked like soup. I informed them it was scrambled eggs. After some shock, we all agreed that a bagel and cereal was the only real options. Many people had to take their breakfast to their rooms or eat standing as there again is not nearly enough seating. My party chose to skip the breakfast and go out to get something edible.

Granted, the hotel was full with guests but every other Embassy Suites I have stayed at was able to pull off both breakfast and reception correctly. This was a joke.

With parking costing $23.50 and internet anywhere in the hotel costing $12.50, this is no bargin. There are many more options in the area and the enticement of a free breakfast or manager's reception only works if it is edible.

As a Hilton Honors member, I would normally sing the praises of Embassy Suites, but in this case I could only hope the Hilton chain would be embarassed to have this hotel as part of the Hilton family.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had a poor experience, but appreciate you mentioning the front desk staff being nice.

This is the first I have heard of our bartenders making fun of any guests. These staff members have been with us for years and typically get rave reviews from guests. I do hope you will contact me directly so I can obtain more information. Being their job is to bartend at the Manager's Reception, I can not understand why they would be annoyed with any requests to do so. As I mentioned, they have been here for many years and really enjoy their job. It is very surprising to read that you had a poor perception of them. I am sorry this occurred. we do try to keep up with the demand for tables at the Manager's Reception. There are occasions it can be full causing there to be a wait for tables. I apologize if this occurred for you.

I ask that the readers of this review also read the many other reviews mentioning how excellent the breakfast is. There are so many options that to read the quality was awful is again very surprising. Aside from the buffet line that includes potatoes, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, pancakes & french toast, there is cooked to order omelets, bagels, muffins, fruit, yogurt, cereal, I am sorry you did not enjoy the quality of the breakfast foods, but thankfully you are in the small minority. We understand the complimentary breakfast is one of the biggest reasons that our guests choose Embassy Suites and do everything we can to make it an enjoyable experience. We work hard to keep up with the demand by turning over tables as quickly as possible. Like any restaurant, there are times when there may be a wait for tables, but we work hard to make sure the wait is not too long.

Again, I do ask that readers of this review take the time to read other reviews. You will find that the majority of them are the complete opposite of this reviewer's opinion.

The parking charge is very common in this area and to my knowledge, there is no hotel in the area that does not charge for parking. Please shop around and you will see the $24 charge is right in line with area hotels. The same can be said for the Internet charge as all full service hotels charge for this.

Thankfully, Hilton Worldwide is far from embarrassed by this property. The staff members that work here work very hard and the large majority of our guests leave happy and wanting to return. We are proud of our Trip Advisor ranking, the amount of repeat guests we have, and the many positive things said about the hotel and staff. I truly am sorry that you left disappointed, but can confidently say that guests that choose to stay with us will leave feeling much differently than you did.

Thank you for the review and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport? Share your experiences!