“Perfect in every way!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
nj
“Perfect in every way!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Once again, our family arrived back for our yearly trip to the DC area. We always stay on the VA side and the savings is great! Most importantly, we love the Crystal City Embassy Suites. We consider this hotel our "home away from home". Upon check-in, we were greated with some familar warm smiles, Lebron Bass and Aton C. It is always nice to see the same staff year after year. The hotel absolutely gleams!!!! My 5 year old loves the pool at this hotel and her mother raves about the hot tub. The morning buffet is beyond outstanding. Friday night was a little busy, however, the bartenders kept the line moving very quickly. Once again, Ms. Meron remembered our 5 year old from previous visits. Since she is a picky eater, Ms. Meron was kind enough to check up on her to see that she was eating her "special, special" food. ALL staff members go above and beyond. When we were venturing out in the 105 degree heat, Aton C. ran from behind the front desk to hand us some ice cold water bottles. This staff really cares about the guests and it shows. Thank you Mr. Feldman for your kind hospitality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your review. We realize you have many choices of hotels and appreciate that you return to stay with us each year. You are correct, the savings of staying in VA vs. DC can be significant.

The sign of a strong hotel is the longevity of the employees and we are so lucky to have such a great staff. They love recognizing repeat guests and it is nice to read you enjoyed being greeted by familiar faces. In this hot weather, the pool is a welcome amenity enjoyed by many of our guests and I am glad your girlfriend and her son enjoyed it.

Meron is another longtime employee and it is amazing how she seems to remember each guest and their likes/dislikes. The Manager's Reception and breakfast do get busy, but the staff work hard to keep the line moving and the tables turned over as quickly as possible. I appreciate you recognizing that.

I also appreciate you contacting me prior to your visit as I really enjoy hearing from people that read my responses; especially prior to their visit so I can help make sure it is a positive experience. Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

After reading the mixed reviews I figured I have stayed in several different Embassy Suites and never had a bad stay. Well I guess there is always an exception. First the positives -- the front desk staff is nice enough, its close to DC and the rooms are suites. Thats about it.

The rest of the hotel staff fluctuated between being rude or annoyed. The evening manager's reception is poorly planned with significantly insufficient seating and instead of being a perfect way to wind down, it was a chaotic and frenzied mess that left most guests uptight and annoyed. The staff who were filling drink orders both nights during our stay were annoyed at every request and would make fun of guests once they walked away.

Breakfast was, unfortunately, worse. The food was mostly just awful. The elderly couple in line ahead of me were confused as to what was being served as it looked like soup. I informed them it was scrambled eggs. After some shock, we all agreed that a bagel and cereal was the only real options. Many people had to take their breakfast to their rooms or eat standing as there again is not nearly enough seating. My party chose to skip the breakfast and go out to get something edible.

Granted, the hotel was full with guests but every other Embassy Suites I have stayed at was able to pull off both breakfast and reception correctly. This was a joke.

With parking costing $23.50 and internet anywhere in the hotel costing $12.50, this is no bargin. There are many more options in the area and the enticement of a free breakfast or manager's reception only works if it is edible.

As a Hilton Honors member, I would normally sing the praises of Embassy Suites, but in this case I could only hope the Hilton chain would be embarassed to have this hotel as part of the Hilton family.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had a poor experience, but appreciate you mentioning the front desk staff being nice.

This is the first I have heard of our bartenders making fun of any guests. These staff members have been with us for years and typically get rave reviews from guests. I do hope you will contact me directly so I can obtain more information. Being their job is to bartend at the Manager's Reception, I can not understand why they would be annoyed with any requests to do so. As I mentioned, they have been here for many years and really enjoy their job. It is very surprising to read that you had a poor perception of them. I am sorry this occurred. we do try to keep up with the demand for tables at the Manager's Reception. There are occasions it can be full causing there to be a wait for tables. I apologize if this occurred for you.

I ask that the readers of this review also read the many other reviews mentioning how excellent the breakfast is. There are so many options that to read the quality was awful is again very surprising. Aside from the buffet line that includes potatoes, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, pancakes & french toast, there is cooked to order omelets, bagels, muffins, fruit, yogurt, cereal, I am sorry you did not enjoy the quality of the breakfast foods, but thankfully you are in the small minority. We understand the complimentary breakfast is one of the biggest reasons that our guests choose Embassy Suites and do everything we can to make it an enjoyable experience. We work hard to keep up with the demand by turning over tables as quickly as possible. Like any restaurant, there are times when there may be a wait for tables, but we work hard to make sure the wait is not too long.

Again, I do ask that readers of this review take the time to read other reviews. You will find that the majority of them are the complete opposite of this reviewer's opinion.

The parking charge is very common in this area and to my knowledge, there is no hotel in the area that does not charge for parking. Please shop around and you will see the $24 charge is right in line with area hotels. The same can be said for the Internet charge as all full service hotels charge for this.

Thankfully, Hilton Worldwide is far from embarrassed by this property. The staff members that work here work very hard and the large majority of our guests leave happy and wanting to return. We are proud of our Trip Advisor ranking, the amount of repeat guests we have, and the many positive things said about the hotel and staff. I truly am sorry that you left disappointed, but can confidently say that guests that choose to stay with us will leave feeling much differently than you did.

Thank you for the review and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights in 11th Floor Corner Suite. Room was decent- living room area quite spacious w/ pullout sleeper, lounge chair, wet bar/coffee, dining table. Decent sized bedroom- bed was comfortable, each room has nice 40+" HDTV. Remote n/a in bedroom. Bathroom very average, excellent water pressure- could probably use an update to wallpaper, etc. A/C was good. Average internet speed, $16.95/per nt but free if you have ATT account or Gold HH. View looking south doiwn US 1 at Americana Motel.

Other amenities- Breakfast each day was decent quality but an absolute zoo with several large busloads of family reunions being held at property, so they had difficulty keeping items full which is understandable considering the volume of people. Went one day early, one day late, made no difference. Attended nightly cocktail hour one night- very nice, good service and snacks. Had sandwiches from Crystal Grill restaurant one night, good burgers, OK service- pricey. Small pool, 14 and 15 year old were told by lifeguard that an adult needed to accompany for them to swim. Exercise room as expected. My biggest complaint was that one elevator was down the entire stay- it was much quicker to take the stairs to/ from the top floor particularly in the morning.

Service- Upon check-in no mention of HH status, was given 2 drink tickets and told hours for breakfast/cocktails, nothing about property amenities,pool, shuttle- etc, researched it on my own. Tried to go for drink upon arrival was told by bartender in sharp tone they were closed- 1110pm Friday, 2 people at bar. Service we received Sat and Sun from a different female bartender was excellent. Shuttle runs to/from Pentagon City Metro every 30 mins-we did not use, it's a nice 3 block walk each way. We did use shuttle to/from DCA which was nice.. Received excellent service from housekeeping.

Bottom line- it wasn't a bad stay, you know what to expect from Embassy Suites. You'll receive that, but I wasn't impressed by the level of service, as it doesn't get more average than the level we received. Loved the location, thought it would be lacking not being downtown DC, but it was a good area to stay- short Metro ride downtown. Pentagon City Mall would be an option on a rainy day as well. Restaurants aplenty at the mall. Would probably try something else in the area next time.

Room Tip: Corner suite 1121 was spacious- but view is south down US 1. Ask for a north or east facing room for...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the size of your suite living room and bedroom. My apologies there was not a remote control in the bedroom, but hope you did let us know as we would absolutely be happy to deliver one to you. It is rare that anyone mentions the water pressure, but I am glad you did as it is excellent and one of those things you enjoy in the moment, but forget afterwards.

We try to keep up with the guests and turnover in the breakfast area. In the summer months when so many of our suites have 4-5 people in them it can be a challenge. Thank you for being understanding about that and I hope you could still enjoy your breakfast experience. It is nice to read that you took advantage of the Manager's Reception and stayed for dinner. The pricing is comparable to other hotels which typically are higher than non hotel establishments.

Unfortunately with the current elevator modernization project going on, one needs to be down at a time. This does cause delays, but thankfully the stairs are an option. The longer waits tend to be at breakfast and later in the evening. We recommend that you give yourself an extra 5 minutes to avoid being frustrated or rushed.

I am sorry that you were not recognized as a Hilton Honors member as you absolutely should have been. The Director of Front Office Operations will be following up with his staff to remind them about not only recognizing the HHonors status, but also giving some general information about the hotel. Again, I am sorry the first bartender did not address you nicer, but glad you found the other staff members to be friendly. I appreciate you specifically mentioning the housekeeper. The shuttle is an excellent option for those that choose not to or can not walk, but like you said the Metro is a quick 3.5 block walk (7-10 minutes). The shuttle to/from Reagan Airport is an amenity enjoyed by many of our guests.

Thank you again for your review and I am sorry we let you down regarding our service level. Our staff generally tries to go above & beyond, but I apologize that this was not your experience. We hope you reconsider and return soon as I am confident we can restore your faith in our service level. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Clarksville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

The Embassy Suites Crystal City is nice enough, but it's almost as if they built the hotel not really expecting anyone to show up. Specifically:

Elevators - The property has ~270 guest rooms spread over 11 stories. It only has 3 guest elevators to serve that, only 2 of which are currently in service. It was common to wait 5 minutes or more for an elevator (felt like an eternity), you'd also frequently have to let a stuffed elevator go by. When near full occupancy, forget about getting a luggage cart in the elevator. At one point, I saw a family give up, then wheel their luggage cart to the fire exit stairs to haul their luggage down the stairs. How is that satisfactory? I asked the manager when the out-of-service elevator would be fixed, her response was that at least one would be out of service 'til March and offered to move me to a lower floor. While I appreciated the offer to move, I'm young, healthy and can walk stairs (which I did frequently). Not everyone can. Two elevators for 6+ months isn't even close to adequate or sat. If you need to do major work that impacts the usability of the hotel, you either need to notify prospective guests of the disruption (which they didn't) or do it as part of a major renovation and shut down operations for a while. The elevator situation alone is reason enough to avoid the property until March when they at least have 3 in service.

Manager's reception - when near full occupancy (which it often was), all the tables and seats available for the manager's receptions were full within minutes of the start. If you didn't arrive right at 5:30, forget about a seat. Breakfasts were somewhat better because the restaurant seats are open as well, but even breakfast could be tough to find a seat.

Workout room - only has 2 ellipticals, 3 treadmills and one rowing machine in a room no bigger than a guest room. Again, nowhere near enough when near full occupancy during the busy periods in late afternoon. This contrasts poorly with other properties in the area; for example, one nearby hotel has a newly renovated 1400 sqft fitness room with all new stuff, at least twice the size and quality of the Embassy's.

Laundry - only two washers and two dryers (one set on two floors) for the entire facility. Literally had to wait 'til after midnight one night in order to get my stuff in.

The amenities (elevators, reception, fitness room, laundry) just weren't built for full occupancy. It was hugely frustrating and annoying. I found myself not using them because I didn't want to fight for their use. At times, I literally found myself choosing not to go to the lobby for something I normally would, knowing there was a good chance I'd be fighting crowds and climbing stairs back.

Other nits: I'm a HHonors gold member, I'm accustomed to a nice welcome letter and some snacks already in the room when I arrive. Didn't happen here. They did rectify it quickly when I brought it up, although I'd hope I wouldn't have to. Also had two problems with the room (water all over the carpet from a backed up AC condenser, then later a blown fuse (complete with smoke) from the AC). Again, fixed promptly, but I was very much left with the impression that they are struggling to keep everything together, probably from the always high occupancy.

In short, I felt this property was a victim of their own success. The staff is nice enough, the property is nice enough, but there are just too many problems, generally related to high occupancy. The amenities at the property just aren't sized for the hotel when at capacity, which it almost always was. There's dozens of hotels in Crystal City, there are better options out there. Had this property not been directly across the street from my training class, I would have moved.

I can't argue the value - they wouldn't have the constantly stuffed occupancy if they didn't offer good value - but the realities of dealing with crowds trying to use undersized facilities led to stress and hassle I didn't want or need for my business travel. Better options are out there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. I am sorry that you had some challenges during your stay. You are correct, the elevators are going through a modernization project that will require one to be shut down at a time. We wish there was another solution, but there is not. When all three elevators are in use, there typically is no wait time. With only two in use, it can cause some wait times, but that usually is only during the peak times of the early morning or if it is a heavy check in time. Keep in mind, that in July & August most people travel with their families, which increases the number of people needing an elevator. Once Labor Day passes far fewer families come to visit Washington DC so we do not expect there to be wait times for the elevators.

The Manager's Reception and breakfast are very popular with our guests; of course. We do try to keep up with the crowd and have the tables turned over quickly. I am sorry if you found it difficult to find a table.

The fitness room at the Embassy Suites is on par with other Embassy Suites properties. The hotel that you reference, has 600 guest rooms, which is over twice as many as the Embassy Suites, so it is expected that their fitness room would be larger. While we wish we had more space, the fitness room was recently renovated and truthfully, it is rarely filled to capacity so no machines are available. I do appreciate the suggestion to have a larger one and if the opportunity presents itself, I am sure the owners will act on it.

That is surprising that you had to wait until midnight. The majority of our guests (as is the same with most hotels) do not use the laundry machines during their visit. At the same hotel I think that you are referencing the large fitness room, there are only 6 laundry machines (3 washers & 3 dryers) for over 600 rooms. We did just invest in new laundry machines that are high tech and allow you to check on line to see if one is available. You can also set it to send you a text when your load of laundry is done so you do not have to wait around. I am sorry they were all being used and again, this is very rare.

We do preblock the rooms for our Hilton Honors members and have the requested amenities delivered to the room prior to check in. I am unsure why this did not occur for you, but it could be for a number of reasons (early check in, suites not ready at check in so we had to change suites, etc). Without knowing your name or room number, I can not specify the reason the amenities were not there prior to your arrival. Whatever the reason, I am sorry it occurred, but glad it was rectified quickly.

No doubt that with the extremely hot weather the a/c units have been running in overdrive. The engineering staff does a tremendous amount of preventative maintenance on them. However, there are times when items break. Just like if something goes wrong at your home and breaks, it does not mean it was due to your inefficiency, the same may apply here. I am sorry you left feeling that the staff was not doing enough to keep up with the occupancy.

I appreciate you mentioning the nice staff and facility, but feel bad that you felt like you wanted to change hotels. We do have a high occupany, but the large majority leave happy and wanting to return. My apologies that his is not the case with you, but I hope you reconsider.

Thank you again for the email and as always I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

McGaheysville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

A really nice hotel easily accessible from 66 East and located near two Metro Stations - Pentagon City and Crystal City, both on the Blue/Yellow Line. The hotel offers a free shuttle every 30 minutes to Pentagon City Metro stop giving you access to all the sites in D.C. Rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable and staff were very friendly. Full breakfast and manager's reception was included in the price. A great option for families who want to explore D.C. or Old Town Alexandria. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am glad that the location fit your needs. I agree, being it is so close to the Metro, it is very easy to get into DC. Rather than paying the high cost of staying DC and having to take the Metro to most attractions, why not save some money and stay in Arlington? It actually can be easier to access certain attractions from our location rather than being inside DC., especially if Old Town is on your list of places to visit.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed all the amenities that set the Embassy Suites apart from the other hotel chains. It is definitely a value for our guests and more so to those traveling with family.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Great location with free shuttle to the subway. Convenient to shopping mall and airport as well. Breakfast was wonderful as well as the manager's reception. Rooms were clean and taken care of nicely. Staff was accommodating and efficient. We had a gorgeous view of the Washington monument as an added bonus. This hotel was fabulous!!

• Stayed July 2012
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your review. It is so nice to read that you had an enjoyable stay. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our shuttle to the Airport, Metro, and Mall. It is a great convenience for our guests and so many enjoy that amenity offered.

The breakfast and Manager's Reception are such important items to our guests and we know they make the value of an Embassy Suites stay unbeatable. I am glad you had positive experiences at both.

Due to the location of other buildings in our way, we do not have many suites with a view so you are lucky to have had one. I appreciate you mentioning the friendliness of the staff and cleanliness of our suites. The team tries to make sure every guest is satisfied - every time.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon so we can offer you another wonderful experience. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

tampa, florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Great staff, good location, gets crowded because of the amenities at a good price. Elevator issue seems to be the downside. Free breakfast and manager reception and clear room out weigh the Elevator problems. Would recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2012
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you found the staff helpful and the location met your needs. You are correct, the Embassy Suites is typically crowded because of the excellent value the amenities offer. I am sorry that you had a challenge with the elevator. We are currently going through an elevator modernization project and perhaps with one being out of order that caused a slight delay. However, it is great to read it had a minimal impact on your experience.

Thank you again for the review and the recommendation. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport? Share your experiences!