“Family Friendly and Very Helpful” 4 of 5 stars

From $89 with Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle WA
“Family Friendly and Very Helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed at this hotel after moving from a downtown location. We traveled with 2 boys (ages 7 and 9). The hotel is a little dated but very clean and comfortable. From a family perspective, there are some great benefits:

1. The all-suite is really nice. Kids slept on hide-a-bed in living room and were thrilled to be able to watch their own TV. mom & dad enjoyed king bedroom and some privacy. Room included small fridge, microwave and coffee pot.
2. The evening reception included free drinks (yes alcoholic too) and snacks. Kids loves the popcorn and chips. We enjoyed some wine and beer.
3. Breakfast included: the food is still "made for the masses" but OK. The omelet line was kind of long and they still use imitation egg so it tastes about the same as the scrambled eggs on the buffet. But it also included fresh fruit, cereal and pastries. All said, good deal for family of 4.
4. The staff was incredibly helpful! When we checked in they gave us a map of the area and a list of the restaurants the free shuttle will take you to. That was a great benefit and we used it several times. We had to wait a little to get picked up but not too long.

The hotel is located across the river from DC but close enough to get there. We ended up taking a cab because it was cheaper than 4 metro tickets and it was only $10 with tip.

All said, this was a great family hotel (kids loved the pool) and a solid value.

Room Tip: There is 1 room on each floor that actually have a view of the monuments. Ask for rooms ending in 14...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am glad you found the Embassy Suites Crystal City to be a place that you felt comfortable with your family.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed all of the great amenities that make an Embassy Suites such a fantastic value. The two room suite is wonderful for families as you mentioned and also a good set up to have some people in your suite as you can use the living room area and not feel like your personal space is invaded. The breakfast is such an excellent value. Aside from the standard eggs, french toast, waffles, bacon & sausage, the breakfast includes muffins, bagels, yogurts, fruit, and more. I am sorry the omelet line was long as it usually moves quickly. As you mentioned, the Manager's Reception offers a relaxing atmosphere for both adults & children.

I appreciate you mentioning the kindness of the staff. They work hard to make each guest interaction a positive one. Your comments will be shared with them as I am sure they will be happy to read they were helpful to you during your stay.

Getting to Washington DC is simple. It actually can be easier to get to some monuments from our hotel than from hotels inside DC. Also, why pay so much more when it is just as convenient from Crystal City?

Thank you again for the review and for staying with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Londonderry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We loved the two room suite at this hotel. The staff is friendly and check in was a breeze. They offer a great free breakfast with omelet station and they have a complimentary two hour managers cocktail party. They also offer shuttle service that is fast and convenient. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms are suites.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for the review. It is nice to read that you had a positive experience. A two room suite, complimentary breakfast for all occupants, and the Manager's Reception; how can that value be beat?

We look forward to your return. Thank you for the review and the recommendation. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Lexington SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is a great place to stay. No complaints whatsoever!! We arrived early and were told to go and enjoy the buffet and we sure did. There were 6 in our party and we all were happy with everything and now only want to stay at Embassy Suites wherever we go. Shuttles to Metro and Airport were great but the extra shuttle to take us to restaurants and/or bars was REALLY special and not expected. Will be back and recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Northville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We only stay at Embassy Suites so we can compare how they perform pretty well. This one is top-notch. Everything flowed smoothly; check-in, drinks and snacks, buffet breakfast. The shuttle service is a great convenience and saves time and money. The location is the best in DC for all the Embassy Suites. Their re-model is great and the beda couldn't be better. We'll switch from Tyson's Corner in the future as the convenience of this location can't be beat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Wow -- top notch; thank you for that compliment. We work hard to make sure each guest leaves happy & wanting to return so it is nice to read we succeeding in meeting this goal with you.

I am glad you were able to enjoy the amenities that make an Embassy Suites stand out versus other hotels and agree that Embassy Suites should be the #1 choice of all travelers. The location of the hotel is fantastic being it is so easy to get to the airport or the Metro. Why pay higher rates to stay in DC, when Crystal City is cheaper and often times it is easier to get to DC destinations from Crystal City than inside Washington DC.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my response to contact me anytime.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel chain needs to update their website directions/map and even the address since the current information makes the hotel difficult to find. However, once there the courteous service, lovely suite of rooms, excellent (included and bounteous) buffet breakfast and the complementary cocktail hour two-drink (wine/beer) makes one feel nicely pampered. The staff knows directions. While we didn't dine in the restaurant, we were served as part of a party in an adjoining room and found the food adequate at best. A bonus: the room offers a blanket if you don't want to sweat under a duvat/comforter -- and we didn't! Don't plan to do anything in the pool other than get wet; it is small.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review. I hope you will contact me to let me know which directions you found to be a challenge to follow. The website has a directions/maps section that gives the proper GPS address multiple times. My apologies that you had trouble finding the hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed all that Embassy Suites has to offer. It is such a value to stay at an Embassy Suites and we try to make sure each guest leaves happy with their choice to stay with us. The Director of Food & Beverage would love to hear specifics about what you liked or didn't like about the food. He is constantly changing things and often uses guest suggestions to guide him with those changes.

In this heat, getting wet in the pool is something a lot of our guests look forward too. Unfortunately it is space challenged, but we do invite our guests to enjoy it and many of them do.

Thank you for the review and for choosing to stay with us. As always I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Pros to this hotel: decent location as it is very close to the airport and metro (the pentagon city stop is connected to a very nice mall as well) and the shuttle runs like clock work, the very extensive breakfast - if you take a moment and break away from the buffett you can make your own waffles or have omlettes made to order...and there are decent bagles, muffins, fruit etc. - all included in the room price, so great value. Another Pro: cost is very good for a 2 room suite - so nice for families who want a separate room and the evening happy hour with free drinks and snacks...this was a good place to recap and plan the next "thing". Con: smoking - our first room was supposedly non-smoking, that was a joke because it definately smelled like cigaretts. The hotel was booked so they sent someone to spray - not helpful, the wallpaper in the bathroom had absorbed the smoke and the only solution I can see if for them to remove it and renovate. We did move to another room the 2nd night which was better than the first, but overall they would do well to renovate the hotel to rid themselves of their past smoking hay day. In this regard the hotel is outdated. But if you can get a room that is truely smoke free it is a very good and economical choice for home base.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. You are correct, the value in an Embassy Suites is almost unbeatable. The cost for a suite upgrade at another hotel is approximately $20, but at the Embassy Suites everyone gets a suite. The cost for breakfast per person at another hotel is $16 - $20 per person, but at the Embassy Suites it is complimentary. The cost for 2 cocktails and lite snacks at another hotel is $12 - $20 per person, but at the Embassy Suites it is complimentary. I recommend to anyone rate shopping to be sure to add on those other costs to a hotels rate when comparing it to an Embassy Suites.

As a fellow non smoker I can understand the frustration in walking into a suite only to smell cigarette smoke. My apologies that this occurred as there must have been an inconsiderate smoker that smoked in the non smoking suite prior to your visit. The housekeeper should have smelled it prior to your arrival and tried to eliminate the odor. This complaint is very rare and I am very sorry this occurred. It is a little ironic since the previous review to yours is by a smoker that indicated her smoking suite did not smell like smoke. While many of us would like hotels to go all smoke free, there is still plenty of demand out there for a smoking suite. I am glad to read you were able to change into another suite and found it to be smoke odor free.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Red Lodge, MT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

We brought group of 40 high school students to DC for week long trip. Location is perfect being less than 10 minutes from airport and a block from metro. Check on was fast and courteous. Rooms are huge and comfortable. Breakfast was fantastic and a great plus. It was rainy and cold and my room was chilly and heat didn't work. Main tench brought in space heater which worked. Coin op washers were inoperative. For the price I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012
Thank you for your review. I am unsure when you stayed, but we would welcome some rain & cold right about now! My apologies that the heat did not work at first, but i am glad the Engineer could fix it quickly.

You are correct, the location is hard to beat. We offer complimentary shuttle from/to Reagan Airport as well as to the Metro, Mall, restaurants, and other Crystal City destinations. However many, like the Metro & Mall, are a short walk so many of our guests prefer to walk over riding in a shuttle.

We have brand new laundry machines and they are top notch; state of the art. You can get a text when your load of laundry is done and check on line for machine availability. I am confident that if you return you will have no challenges with these new machines.

I am so glad to read that you found your suite to be spacious and the breakfast to be delicious. It is a huge savings as other hotels charge $15 - $20 per person for breakfast.

Thank you again for the review and for having the group stay with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport? Share your experiences!