“Good for Some-Others Can Do Better & Watch the Garage Door!” 4 of 5 stars

From $99 with Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good for Some-Others Can Do Better & Watch the Garage Door!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Overall this is a standard Embassy Suites Hotel. Furnishings are in acceptable shape with the bedroom much newer than the living area. Be sure to ask for a room facing Eads St. which is the front of the hotel, a side street. The rear rooms face a six lane expressway and have road traffic all night. If you are spending your time in Crystal City or need access to the Metro the location is great. This is especially true if you do not have a car. Staff is helpful. Morning breakfast is a hit or miss proposition. They have the best coffee I've had in a hotel. Steamtable items are in pans sitting in warm water making most of the offerings cool except if you dig down to the bottom. Made to order omlets are ok but made with a premix egg blend making them a bit bland. Cooked eggs were not available at the grill. I did not attend managers reception but looked good.If you have a car, I'd recommend staying elsewhere. The Homewood Suites on King St. in Alexandria would be my choice.It will be at least $50 a night less expensive, has free breakfast, free internet (Embassy charges $13), and free parking (Embassy charges $24 a night). Homewood suites are more modern and in a quieter location while only being 3 miles away from Crystal. Even if sightseeing in DC is on the agenda, you can drive in and park at Union Station for $20/24 hrs and be right at the tourmobile and other tour operators sights. You also avoid the Garage door at the Embassy Suites.Although they post a warning not to follow another car though,they do not tell you the door will close on you if someone is heading in the opposite direction and started the door activator before you did. Learn from my $600 lesson.

Room Tip: Stay on higher floors in the front of the hotel facing Eads St. Avoid any room in the rear of hotel...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am glad you enjoyed the suite. It is funny to me, because other guests request the highway side over the South Eads side. Every guest has a preference and we try to accommodate all requests.

The omelet station is cooked to order. We have many guests that prefer scrambled eggs off the station rather than from the buffet, also sunny side up eggs are made as are omelets. I am sorry if you could not receive the egg type you were looking for and am curious as to what that was so I can let the Director of Food & Beverage know. We try to accommodate all guest's requests to make the breakfast experience more enjoyable. I am glad you enjoyed the coffee so much! Next time you will have to enjoy the Manager's Reception. It is an excellent way to unwind at the end of a long day or a great way to get the night started.

The Homewood Suites by Hilton is a very nice hotel. Keep in mind it is a limited service hotel and those three miles can take up a lot time if driving as there are many great things about the DC Metro area, but traffic is not one of them. There are many great tour options that are convenient to get to from the Embassy Suites Crystal City.

We have guests driving in and out of the garage everyday; many of them at the same time. The garage door opens when you put your key in the swipe then the gate opens afterwards. I am unaware of any other instances when the garage closed on a car that properly entered the key in the swipe. I am sorry that this happened to you, but perhaps the key was not swiped correctly or you accidentally followed another car in without swiping your card.

I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations. I do hope the readers of this review will read the other reviews that show your experience to not be the norm. We do hope you return so we can work hard to raise your impression of the Embassy Suites Crystal City. Thank you again for the review. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We recently returned from DC and couldn't have chosen a better hotel. From the front desk to the guy that changes the lightbulbs and including the shuttle drivers..each was amazing and very mannerly. Our room was a corner room with an amazing living room and we even had two hallways!!!! We rode Amtrak into Union Station, then without leaving the train station we hopped aboard ther Metro for a short few minutes ride to Crystal City Station. Every 30 minutes the hotel shuttle will pick you up and take you to the hotel or back to the Metro Station.

Every morning the atrium was filled with the welcoming smell of bacon, biscuits and the trimmings including cooked to order omlets. Several varities of juices, breads, sweet goods, with hot choices of grits, oatmeal etc.

After walking as much as 8 hours a day in DC, we always made it back in time for the 2 hour cocktail happy hour. Each evening we were welcomed by the Hotel Manager and answered all our questions. We were not limited to 1 or 2 drinks nor were we limited what we drank. In non rush hours the fare to major DC arractions was only $1.80...no need for a car at all.

We highly rec. this hotel and when we return to DC..this will be our choice again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you for the review. I like that title -- Best Hotel in the DC Area! We'll wear that proudly. I am so glad you had such positive interactions with the staff and will be sure to share your comments with them. They work hard at satifying every guest - everytime!

While the Metro Station is within walking distance, it is a nice convenience to have the shuttle as an option. It is nice to read that you enjoyed this amenity. The breakfast is the deal breaker for Embassy Suites. No other hotel can offer this complimentary! This same breakfast in another area hotel runs $18 - $22 per person --- yes per person! Keep that in mind when comparing hotel rates with the rate you receive at the Embassy Suites.

The Manager's Reception on top of the breakfast is unbeatable. Only a few Embassy Suites Hotels limit the amount of drinks, but that is mostly due to state laws. Luckily, we are not one of them so it is unlimited complimentary beverages for two hours. A great way to unwind after a long day.

Thank you for the review and the nice recommendation. We hope you return soon! As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy travels --

Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

The Embassy Suites Crystal City is a well run hotel, good breakfast, helpful staff, really really close to The Pentagon and convenint to Reagan National Airport. The bad news is that the rooms facing Jefferson Davis Drive are extremely noisy - it was like staying in a Mote l6 adjacent to the interstate. After the first night we had them give us a new room that did not face the busy street and all was well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am so glad you had a positive stay and found the location to be convenient for your needs. In all honesty, I have stayed in the rooms many times and never noticed the street noise. Actually, we get some guests that request that side of the hotel. I guess it is all dependant on guest preferences and needs. Luckily, we have options to try and appease every guest. I am glad you were moved to a suite that you were able to enjoy more.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Northwest Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

This hotel stood out as the nicest I stayed at all week. The room was huge and the bed very comfortable. The room had a fridge and microwave and coffee maker. The TV was set up perfectly with the bed AND there was a 2nd TV in the sitting room. Everything was clean and new and worked fine. They have a shuttle service to the airport and to the local mall/metro station. The breakfast was awesome; great variety and great food. The lobby was quite nice as well. The hotel is about a 3/4 of a mile from the mall/metro station. An easy walk if you don't want to wait for the shuttle.

Now the bad stuff. Parking is $24 per night and WiFi is $13 per day. Wifi should be free in any modern hotel or maybe a nominal fee to cover costs like $2-3 per day.

I would stay here again if I come back to DC.

Room Tip: I would get a room away from the elevator. I could hear the 'ding' from the elevator in my...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am so glad we rank #1 out of the hotels you stayed at. We will continue to work hard to earn that ranking for all of our guests. It is nice to read that you enjoyed the amenities of the suite. The 2nd 42" LCD tv is a favorite of our guests; especially with kids as the door can be closed between the bedroom & living room so no one sleeping is disturbed.

The location of the hotel is great as it is so close to 2 Metro stations making walking a viable option. Of course, as you pointed out, a complimentary shuttle is offered. I agree, the complimentary breakfast offered is awesome.

The parking charge is in line with area hotels. I realize that if you come from an area that does not charge, this seems like a lot. Keep in mind all area hotels charge and the cost is far less than most downtown DC hotels. The choice to charge for the Internet is not a hotel decision. Hilton Worldwide has decided to charge for Internet at all full service hotels (Hilton, Doubletree, & Embassy Suites). This is the same policy at all major hotel chains (Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton, etc) as they too charge for Internet at full service hotels. However, we do offer complimentary Internet at our Internet quiosks on the lobby level as well as in our business center. While not as convenient as in the room, it is an option for those that do not want to pay.

Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your next stay. As always I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy travels --

Ewa Beach, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I returned to this hotel in April after a less than perfect visit last summer. I found that all of my concerns have been addressed: I had perfect wi-fi, the staff was friendly and accommodating, and while the sinks haven't been replaced - it certainly wasn't a deal-breaker as before; service is everything.
I was there on business, and the location couldn't have been better - I walked about a block and a half to the Metro, and was in the District within 10 minutes or so.
The breakfast was good, and the room clean.
I can now sincerely recommend this property.
(As an aside, I discovered what the periodic noise was from last stay: it was the sound of the elevators running up and down their tracks)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. I am so glad you had a much more positive experience this year. All the comments on this site, other sites and feedback given directly to us is reviewed daily with the staff. We take all comments very seriously and use them to improve. It is nice to see whatever your concerns were last year were addressed so you could enjoy this recent stay.

Due to the warmer weather it is nice to now have the option of walking or taking the complimentary shuttle to the Metro. Both are convenient and fast. It is so easy to get into DC and to where you want to go; sometimes even easier than if you start in DC.

Thank you again for the review and for recommending the property. I appreciate you taking the time to give another review of the property. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Great location for business or vacation around DC. My only gripe is the parking charge, which is more than most garages in downtown DC.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you found the location convenient. I agree it is an excellent location as it sits close to 2 Metro stations, is convenient from Reagan Airport, and has plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby. Oh, and do not forget Washington DC is also located very close as Crystal City is right over the bridge.

Actually, just today I was leaving a DC Hotel and noted their parking is $42 per day. In fact, their 2 hour parking charge of $24 is more than the Embassy Suites Crystal City charge of $23 per day. I also called 2 other hotels in DC and found their parking to be $30+. So I am not sure which downtown DC hotels you are comparing our charges to, but I am unaware of any that are cheaper. Also keep in mind we offer in/out privileges that many hotels do not. The charges at our parking garage fall right in line with other hotels in Crystal City.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you return. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed at this Embassy Suites for 2 weeks for a business trip and I had a great experience! Everyone on the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Every morning I requested a shuttle to get to work and was on my way within 5-10 minutes, if not right away. The complimentary breakfast cannot be beat, the Manager's Reception is the best and I was pleasantly surprised at the good quality of the restaurant food. The location is great with 2 metro stations within a short walking distance and there are plenty of shops and restaurants in the immediate area. The gym is small but well-equipped and the pool is nice after a long day. I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and it will be my first choice when I come back again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. I am so glad to read that you had such a pleasant stay. It is so important when traveling for that length of time to be in a place that is comfortable and friendly so it is nice to see we offered this environment to you.

The shuttle that travels to any point within Crystal City is a major amenity that is not offered at other hotels. Most other hotel shuttles only go to the Metro and Airport and do not make stops elsewhere. The Embassy Suites Crystal City offers both options; shuttles to the Metro or Airport as well as a shuttle that goes to offices, restaurants, or anywhere else within Crystal City. i am glad you took advantage of this amenity.

I agree, the breakfast can not be beat! That same breakfast costs $15-$20 per person at area hotels and few offer a cooked to order omelets station.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Crystal City-National Airport? Share your experiences!