“Location, Accommodating, Affordable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 48 hotels in Arlington
chicago, il
“Location, Accommodating, Affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

At just a few stops out of D.C. on the Orange Line, this Econo Lodge is and older hotel that is clean, convenient and affordable. We have used them for two different trips, and will use them again. The King room is moderately small, but has everything you need. We felt safe in this area and used the train line for quick trips into D.C.. This hotel is "Luxury - No", but "Comfortable - YES"!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here in spite of our worries about the small size of the room & hotel in general. That was more than compensated for by the convenient layout, the helpful staff, the good breakfast and , very importantly to us, the ease of getting to DC each day via the train. The station was a short walk way---about 7 minutes, and the trip to town was about 15 mins. Much better than driving in DC! The stay was quiet and relaxing, out of the hubbub of the city. I think what struck us as well was the immaculate cleanliness of the hotel and the obvious pride that the staff has in keeping it well-maintained. We will definitely use this as our go-to hotel for DC!

Room Tip: There is no elevator--there are 2 stories. If you travel light, not a problem.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mass.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We just returned from our stay at the Econolodge Metro while visiting Washington D.C. The location is excellent- a very easy walk to the Metro. You just follow the bike path for a little way and you're there. The staff was nice and helpful. The room we stayed was very simple, but adequate. My husband thought the bathroom was a little tight, but it was clean. The sink is separated from the toilet and tub/shower, and there isn't a ton of room, but there is a hair dryer on the wall as well as a tissue box holder. The TV didn't get many channels, but there was a fridge and a microwave which was nice. Overall the room was clean and served its purpose.

The breakfast was just so-so. There are only a few tables in the breakfast, so we took the food to our room and ate it at the table there. There was a small selection of pastries, donuts, muffins, and/or croissant rolls depending on the day. There were three canisters of different types of cereal. I think there was also packaged oatmeal. There were three different things you could toast in the toaster. It seemed to be three of the following on any given day: bagels, waffles, bread, english muffins. There were also packets of jelly, bananas, apples, yogurts and cartons of milk. There was also coffee and tea to drink, but no fruit juice although you could buy juice at the vending machines. There's also a little nook (not in the breakfast area) where you can get coffee and tea anytime.

The motel is also near quite a few restaurants which are a short drive if you have a car with you. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I recently returned for a second stay at the Econo Lodge Metro. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the property is clean, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again when in the Washington, DC area. Being close to the metro station is a huge plus, and we enjoyed the free parking, as well. Although we didn't have breakfast each day, we did see that there was a nice variety of items, and the coffee was hot and fresh each morning.
This property is nicely kept, and a great hotel to stay at when visiting DC.
Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great value. Clean, quiet, and comfortable with an accommodating & friendly staff. They cheerfully made changes in our room, so we could be close to others in our party who had made plans separately.
There was ample breakfast with something to please everyone.
We actually did walk from the Metro - pulling our suitcases behind.
The only drawback was that there was no elevator going to the second floor.
Free WiFi worked great.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Like everyone has said previously, this hotel is a really good value and in a very nice neighborhood. The short walk to the Metro was pleasant and easy.

The reason I must give it only an average rating, however, is due to the check in and handling of my items in the safe deposit box.

When checking in, the attendant informed me that I had made an error when I booked online and she had corrected it. She noted that I had presented her with a different credit card than the one I used to book and wanted to know which one she should proceed with. She then went on to help the next person, and quickly asked for me to give me the papers/key back. Some changes were made and I was then given my key/papers again. It became quite obvious that she had somehow mistaken my check-in with the lady beside me. I figured this as her description of my "error" was exactly what the lady after me wanted in the room. And when I checked my email, there had been no mistake on my part.

The reason the above situation concerns me, is that had I said go ahead and use the credit card I booked with, I am fairly certain the credit card of the other lady would have been used, or attempted to have been used.

The following morning I realized there was no safe deposit box in the room, so I inquired at the front desk. The same attendant was there and she pulled out a box from behind the counter and asked me what time I would be back. As she would no longer be there, she said to make sure I told them my items were in box #1. That evening when I returned and told the new attendant this, she asked where my key was. I had not been given a key and was told the procedure is for them to have one half and me to have the other half. Together it will open the box. With some concern, I explained that my passport was in that box and I was never given a key. The new attendant did some searching and indeed, there was the key that was to have been given to me.

This situation really was a huge breach of trust in them for securing my items. The lesson I learned is that in the future I will outright question the procedure if it doesn't make any sense to me.

So again - I really want to give this hotel a better rating, but these issues sent red flags up for me.

Room Tip: My room was right beside the breakfast lounge but was still quiet enough for a good sleep.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Harbert, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed for three days during a business conference and found the hotel very pleasing. Everything worked just fine, quite comfortable, and the front desk lady, in particular, was very helpful for me with explaining and assisting me with using the Metro, which is a convenient walk nearby. The sink area was small and no coffee one morning, but it was a bit early....otherwise, I had a very enjoyable stay and I'd be very likely to return when the occasion arises!

Room Tip: Quite convenient to the Metro and very reasonable for the location....seemed very safe area also....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge Metro? Share your experiences!