“It All Depends: When You Travel On A Budget” 3 of 5 stars

Inns Of Virginia Arlington
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3335 Lee Highway, Arlington, VA 22207   |
Ranked #38 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“It All Depends: When You Travel On A Budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Came to DC yesterday (Thursday) for a Friday morning visa appointment. The first night, my room was booked by a third party. It was a single room (#104), and about $90. It was nice and clean and I had no complaints. So I decided this morning to stay another night so I could see a bit more of DC before heading home. I should have quit while I was ahead, I think. All the single rooms had been reserved, so I changed to a double before I left for my appointment.

Room 105 is just across the hall and to the left. I don't blame the hotel for having to change my room, but there are a few unlucky differences in quality because of it. First i'll say as a side-note that because I didn't go through a third party to book the second room, I payed a little less money ($80-something. I would have paid even less ($70-something) if a single had been available).

The price of a switch from single to double is supposed to pay for an upgrade in size/capacity, but the quality should still be the same. However, when I came back to my new room to do online research on how I should spend my time in DC, I couldn't keep a signal (which by-the-way, is an unsecured network. The password protected network ID(s) that are taped to the back of the keycard envelope don't work...it may just be a temporary problem, I don't know).

The WiFi is the most annoying part since it took 3 times as long to research. But a close second are the ants (they're the little ones). I can find one (without particularly looking) crawling around every 15 to 20 minutes. There isn't a hoard of them anywhere, but I'm a clean person and don't leave open packages of food sitting out. Those little ants will bite sometimes, though. They don't have venom (or so i'm guessing), because I haven't gotten a reaction from a bite, but still. Not okay.

The last little nitpicky thing (which doesn't really bother me, but I thought I should mention), is the cracked area with what looks like (some) mold (... it can be easily ignored if you're not wearing your glasses and you're distracted by the internet and ants being a pain...) around the A/C unit. Here's hoping there aren't toxic spores or anything, but I don't have allergies or asthma so I can't tell you if there's enough to cause respiratory problems.

In conclusion, you get what you pay for. I think that the hotel staff try to do what they can with the resources they have. I'll let the staff know about my complaints in the morning, but I feel I can review things more accurately if I write it as I experience it.
This is my first tripadvisor review, but I assume I can update or comment on my review if I need to. So I'll *try to let you know if I get compensated for my troubles in any way (*snort). Otherwise, just assume that they'll try to get these problems fixed as soon as they can.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Karmiel, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The room was clean, but was left coffee in a coffee maker from past guests. Inside is no wardrobe, no iron and hair dryer should be asked to the reception or the maids. There is a TV, refrigerator and microwave. Dining room at the hotel is not at all, no chairs, tables and almost no breakfast. The hotel is located at a distance of 10-15 minutes walk to the main street in Arlington, where there are many restaurants and cafes.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed one night at the Inns of Virginia Arlington just as a stop over before heading to DC for the week. For the price you pay it is worth it. Parking and wifi is free and the staff are all nice. Room comes with a fridge and a microwave and is clean. Would not want to stay for more than a night but the one night was definitely fine. Comfortable enough and in a good area surrounded by restaurants and anything else you would need. For 100$ a night you can't ask for much more than a clean room and that they had.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I booked a room for 1 night having diligently read all the reviews of the place. Good outweighed bad and for $100, it seemed like a great deal in arlington. NO WAY! It was awful. I'd reserved a non smoking room. When I got there, they only had smoking rooms. Who knew you could still smoke in hotels in VA???? I asked how this happened. "We overbooked and you booked thru Expedia". Not even sure what that meant. I asked to see the room before committing. We walked upstairs down a nasty hallway to the room. She knocked and opened the door...someone was in the room! She had no idea why someone was in the room. So, she went into another room. The stench was so disgusting. Smelled like someone was still smoking in there, but the smell was more than just smoke. I told her no thanks, but I'd have to find another hotel. She was very, very nice and said she'd try to get me into a non smoking that was waiting for check in, but then there wasn't one available. She offered to help me find another place, but I told her I'd take care of it. I felt bad she was so nice but working in such a dirty place. At least I could cancel since it was before 6pm (though, since they were oversold, someone would have been left without a room, so I guess I saved them....poor things.) I sat in my car and started to search and luckily found a comfort inn right down the street. Free parking, free NICE breakfast, free wi-fi. Rooms were fine for one night. Bed was EXTREMELY nice.....it and the very large screen tv made up for the rest. I will not attempt a stay at the Inns of Virginia Arlington again. I should have known that for that price, it would be awful. I was just hoping the good reviews were correct.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Penny B, Public Relations Manager at Inns Of Virginia Arlington, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
I am extremely sorry that you did not like the room that you were offered. However, when you book through a third party ( for example Expedia) we don't have any control over the reservation. We are only able to go on what information we have been given. We are not able to change their reservations. We were a non smoking hotel for over a year and had so many complaints that we decided to allow 3 of our rooms to become smoking rooms again. We try to be accommodating to all people.
Our housekeeping staff works hard to make each room as "homey" as possible. As you can see by other reviews, cleanliness is one of the things that most often gets the highest praise in reviews.
While we try our best to make it a pleasant experience for each of our guests, but some people prefer different options than we are able to provide. We would love you to give us another try in the future.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I just needed a place to sleep before flying out the next day. Close to Ronald Reagan airport. There is also a bus stop close by, which get you to the metro into DC.

The room was clean and not too much of the motel room odor. The front desk was great, if not maybe too friendly. Continental breakfast was weak, but you aren't far from several good diners. It was about $20 cheaper than anywhere around it that I found.

Room Tip: Tell them you want the least smelly room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed here for one night, for a stopover in DC.

Pros: The staff was extremely nice and helpful. This was the highlight. The location is great- a 10 minute drive into DC. There is also a bus stop close by, which get you to the metro into DC.

Cons: The windows don't open, and the door opens into a hallway, so no fresh air. Ever. While the room was clean, the attention to detail was lacking. There were drinking cups between the bed and night table, and half empty shampoo bottles above the shower. Not a big deal, though, honestly b/c it was clean. The other reviewers are right. The continental breakfast was not great. Coffee, cookies, and juice. You can hear your neighbors talking through the walls, but earplugs solved that problem.

I would recommend this place, if you will be out and about most of the day, and just crashing out at night. Our room was nice and spacious, and comfortable. If the window had opened, it would have seemed fresher and less stuffy.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The hotel is clean, easy to find, and in a great location. The rooms are very basic but are clean and comfortable with upgraded flat screen TV's.

Staff is courteous and helpful.

If you are looking for something more than a clean comfortable place to stay, this might not be the place for you. Otherwise, this is a great value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Inns Of Virginia Arlington? Share your experiences!