“A little far out, but otherwise a great option at a good price” 4 of 5 stars

Inns Of Virginia Arlington
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3335 Lee Highway, Arlington, VA 22207   |
Ranked #38 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A little far out, but otherwise a great option at a good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel, previously in 2010 and would stay again. The hotel was affordable and comfortable. The only downside would be the location - the nearest Metro station is a 10-12min walk (Clarendon). The only real complaint would be the smoky smell in the hallway - it seems this hotel still has smoking rooms but once you are in the room, the smell is not noticeable. The breakfast and coffee options were adequate for a typical continental breakfast. The housecleaning service did not clean our coffee machine, they simply left new coffee the next morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Per a previous customer review, this place DEFINITELY has an infestation of insects. In the first room we were assigned, my husband actually SAW a flea on his leg. After going to the front desk to complain, the employee there, (didn't catch his name, but he seemed like a fat redneck) acted like he was not the slightest bit surprised. He gave us a room on the second floor, far from the infestation.

This place is the PITS. The halls reek of mildew and filth. The bed is hard. Maids are lazy and don't even wipe down the tables, leaving crumbs. We would NEVER go back!

Room Tip: If for some reason you are forced to stay in this flea hole, ask for a room on the second floor!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
maddynmel, Guest Relations Manager at Inns Of Virginia Arlington, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
As part of the management team at Inns of Virginia - Arlington we are never happy when we have an unpleasant review from a guest. However I would like to state that we have a pest control contract that services the hotel twice a month. I also would like to state that if you look at the other reviews left by this person you will note that they don't seem to be happy with any place. To call a clerk a fat redneck because you can't remember his name is uncalled for and shows lack of character. Our housekeeping staff work very hard to make sure that the rooms are clean and ready for our guests. If ever there is a problem or a customer is unsatisfied, they can contact the General Manager of the Hotel.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

After reading some poor reviews, I wanted to say that my experience during 3 nights in August 2012 was just fine. The hotel has a chill and relaxed vibe due to a new coat of paint and art on the walls, a nice surprise from the vanilla outside aspect. The bathroom was clean, and no weird smells at all. My room was clean and functional, and you certainly can't beat the price in Arlington! I had no car, and it was an easy 20 minute walk to Clarendon or 30 min walk to Ballston metro stops. (bus option for those who don't want to walk.) The Custis bike trail is right down the road, with a capital bike share station only 25 min walk away, at the public library, for those who want some exercise or a cheap way to see the Capitol!
When I come back to Arlington, this will be my home, and should be yours, too!

Room Tip: Up on a hill off Lee highway, so no noise issues to speak of.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mason, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

My wife and I visited this place at the end of May of 2011. Its not the best looking and looks a little out dated, but it served its purpose. We weren't there for a hotel we were there to sight see in Washington DC. The hotel was within walking distance (.25 miles?) from a Walgreens where you can buy a bus pass (bus stop is right outside the hotel) and take that to the subway in Washington. Very good value hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. After all, I would’ve felt like a genius getting a great room at a great price in Arlington. But alas, it wasn't to be. Ultimately, the experience was all about the smell and housekeeping for me.

The smell when you walk down the hallway is pretty bad -- musty or something similar. But it paled in comparison to the room, which was supposed to be non-smoking. It smelled like a million cigarettes had been smoked in it. It was absolutely revolting.

On the first day, housekeeping missed a number of items, like cleaning up the wrappers from making coffee and actually replenishing the coffee. OK, I could forgive that. They just flat out never came the second day. Perhaps it was a fluke, but given the first day’s performance, I doubt it. I didn’t trust the management enough to complain, so I let it go. I was leaving the next day anyway.

The bed is fine. The bathroom is OK. The TV is quite outdated. The mini fridge is nice and cold. Wifi is solid most of the time but connection speed is low. The breakfast is truly juice cups and danish in plastic wrappers (like from a vending machine).

Next time I am in Arlington, I will avoid staying here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

By far the worst inn I ever stayed in...... The staff are friendly and extremely helpful, but the owner should just gut out this place and redo it. It feels dank and dark in the corridors and the rooms stink. The first one I walked into smelled like vomit. The front desk were kind enough to set me up with another room, but if they had been fully booked??????? Also, the bed sheets feel like they are always damp...... Its very easy to get into DC from here though, even if you are using public transport. Short bus ride to the metro (approx 9 min) and once your at Rosslyn station, you can catch the metro into the city. The bus stand is down the street from the inn. Breakfast is fresh fruits and packaged pastries. It was quiet though, thank goodness. Wouldn't come back...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

I checked in to a double room, but I was staying alone, from 2 - 5 Apr 2012. The room had ample space, connected bathroom, TV, microwave, bar fridge and toiletries were provided. The room was clean, basic and quiet.
I did not interact with the staff, but they were friendly when I met them at the lobby. The breakfast was minimal (some muffins and pastry), one can give the coffee a miss.
The neighbourhood was good; there was Lee Village right beside the hotel, which had Pizza Hut, Chi food and some sundry services. Opposite the road, there was Dunkin' Donuts. One bus stop away (to the direction of Clarendon Station), there was Lyon village, which had 3 super-marts and a few eateries. I found Lyon Village very convenient.
The slope in front of the hotel was really steep, so one should be very careful while walking on it. An alternative was to turn right from hotel lobby, where there was a gentler slope leading out from another residential lot that led to a bus stop.
The hotel would be a good choice for those who drive or takes a cab. I was traveling on budget, so I took the Metro, stopping at Clarendon, where I walked a few bus stops to the hotel. The walk was a leisurely 15 min one, through a quiet, gently sloping neighbourhood. However, towing a 15-kg trolley luggage along that route was disastrous. The trip to the hotel was scary, cos I was unfamiliar to the neighbourhood; other than being tired from handling the luggage, there was this uncertainty of whether I would find the hotel, even though I had researched on the internet on how to proceed to the hotel.
On my return trip, I planned in advance for a slow 30-min walk, but most of the trip was up slope, so the towing of the luggage was another torture again. I had decided against taking a bus (which I did on the days I took my tour in DC), cos I observed that the buses were not designed to be tourist-friendly. That being said, I had enjoyed myself strolling along that route (without luggage) in the evening.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Inns Of Virginia Arlington? Share your experiences!