“very good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
montreal
“very good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Well we stayed at the double tree hotel in washington and we had a really nice experience.
When we landed we called the hotel and within 10 minutes the shuttle was there to pick us up. Check in was quick and the ladies answered all our questions.
The room was very clean and the AC worked
The bed sheets were perfect.
In the am we had a buffet breakfast at the hotel which was included in the price It was excellent plenty of food.
The shuttle to and from the Metro was every half an hour No complains about that. They also supplied all of us in the shuttle bottled water as many as you wanted.
All the staff were friendly and always willing to help.
We took the metro to DC all the time and we found it safe and efficient. it was a really wonderful experience. Washington is a beautiful place.
Would go back any time

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
Thank you for the great review! i am so glad you came and had a wonderful experience at the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City. The shuttle sure makes it convenient to get to the airport and Washington DC! Thank you again and I hope you will return soon.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

As a Hilton Diamond member, I spend a lot of time (and money) in Hilton properties - for once, this was a trip for family vacation not business.

The plus points - great location close to the airport. The mall is very close at barely 5 mins walk (once you learn the shortcut!) thereby giving access to the Metro as well as a range of dining options. Excellent fitness club.

The negatives - shuttle service is relatively infrequent and the bus is too small - oftentimes the bus was overflowing with guests traveling to / from the fashion city mall. A bigger problem was the air conditioning: our room had the sun all day and the aircon was woefully unable to maintain room temperature. Set at 68, temp was closer to 78-80 in the room. Other rooms facing the other side of the hotel were fine, and it was nearly 100 degrees outside, but still.

Our biggest problem was not really the hotel's fault, although why the Doubletree let 6 party goers check in to a double room on a Hilton HHonors floor is beyond me. Ridiculous noise throughout the night, and, to top it all, our friendly neighbours were potheads as well - always nice to explain to your children "what's that smell". No apparent effort by the service staff cleaning rooms and delivering meals to notify management of the problem. We would have moved, but the hotel was full so no point asking for new rooms, and if you can't move, no point in annoying your pothead neighbours. As in all things, you get what you pay for.....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Thank you for writing a review and for being a loyal Diamond member. I am so glad you took the time to write some positives and I agree with all of them. I am glad you mention the Metro is a short 5 minute walk as that has come up in recent reviews.
As you may know Washington DC has experienced some unusual heat which has put most air conditioning units on overdrive. I wish you would have called this in so we could have had someone up to look at the unit. Also, if you ever want to move rooms please give us the opportunity to meet this request; do not assume the answer will be no. Our staff is very creative in finding solutions to challenges.
We do only let HHonor members on the HHonors floor so whomever was your neighbor did have a HHonor number. Unfortunately, when checking in they did not notify us of their pot smoking or partying intentions or we would not have allowed them to stay. It is likely only one or two guests were registered to the room. Without knowing the specifics on the room I can not comment on what actions were taken by our staff. However, if there is ever something like this that bothers you in the future please let us know. We have a 24 hour security team and if needed we can call in the police. Of course our security will be discreet and not let the partiers know who called it in.
Thank you again for the post and for staying at the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Not what I was expecting. The hotel is old and needs to be renovated. The location is great, though, and we got a good summer special so it balanced out. All things considered, I would not pay full price for this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010
Thank you for the review. I am happy to let you and anyone else reading this response know that we do have some renovations coming. Along with recently finishing our pool renovation we are currently putting brand new 37" LCD tv's in all the rooms. Later this year we will be redoing the lobby, lobby bar, and the Skydome as well as the entrance to the hotel. Like most hotels we have some rooms that are more recently renovated than others. I do invite anyone to contact me to see if I can block you in more recently renovated room as I will do my best to meet this request.

You are correct - our location is fabulous. Being close to 3 blocks from the Metro and less than 2 miles from both Reagan Airport and Washington DC is an unbeatable location.

Thank you again for the review.

Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

For the room rates charged (over $200 per night) my expectations are high, but this hotel could not meet them. I choose this hotel because of its proximity to the airport and downtown DC. It borders highways on the north and east, and has a nice nighttime view of DC. At check in, I had problems with my advanced purchase billing arrangements and the front desk staff, and the hotel manager had to be called in to resolve the matter. The king "pure air" was clean and adequately furnished, but the ventilation system was overmatched by the warm June days and created a stuffy and humid room. I woke up sweating with no covers on both nights with the AC on its maximum setting. The hotel's setting also caused some difficulty. Located several blocks (15-20 minute walk) from the nearest Metro stations in the sweltering heat, cabs became a necessity. But few cabs park near this hotel. The hotel staff were generally friendly, quick and helpful, and I really wanted to like this hotel. However, I will keep shopping for a better location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for the your review. I am glad the hotel manager could resolve the challenge you experienced at check in. We handle advance purchase check ins very often without issue so I am uncertain as to the specifics of your challenge.

In the future if you do have any air conditioning challenges, please contact the CARE line so we can send someone up to inspect your unit. There is no need to be uncomfortable.

The hotel does offer a shuttle to and from the Metro station. The shuttle leaves and picks up on a half hour schedule so there should be no need to walk in the swealtering heat. I am sorry you did not take advantage of this. Also, I understand everyone walks at a different pace, but in all the times I have walked from the hotel to/from the Metro it has not taken any more than 10 minutes. The Metro stration is 2 and 3/4 blocks from the hotel so it is surprising that it would take you 15-20 minutes to walk there. In the event that you want to take a cab we do have a cabline that lines up through out the day just outside the hotel so again, I am unsure why you would say few cabs park here.

I am glad you found the staff helpful and friendly. We want you to like the hotel also! I hope you will return to the hotel and have an enjoyable stay. Thank you again for the post and anyone reading this response can contact me anytime.

Happy travels-

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

The hotel is midway between two subway stations. After a long day at the Mall the walk can be daunting. There are malls at both stations so the choices of food and shopping are great. On Sundays, however, most places close early or just aren't open.

The Hotel is a very expensive last resort for food. We would have eaten there more often had it been more in line. (ate the most expensive meal in a week at the hotel...and that was a sandwich) Room was well appointed and mostly comfortable, despite the maid short sheeting our bed for the last two nights.

Staff seemed genuinely interested in trying to meet our needs and overall we are very happy that we chose to stay at this hotel for our week in DC!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
Thank you for the review. I can definately understand why after spending all day walking around Washington DC why the 2 3/4 block walk to the hotel would seem long. Luckily, you have the option of riding the shuttle back as it picks up at the Pentagon Metro Station every half hour. Yes, like in most places, the malls close early on Sunday. However, there is the option of taking our shuttle to 23rd street which is known as "restaurant row" and offers so many different options for restaurant types.

I am sorry you felt the food prices were high. We do constant checks to ensure our prices are in line with area hotels. Being shorted a sheet on the bed is not a typical problem that one encounters. I wish you would have called to our CARE line as an extra sheet would have been brought right up to you.

Thank you for choosing the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City as your hotel of choice. I am so glad to read that you are happy with this choice and would return if given the opportunity. I hope that you are able to come back and enioy the hotel (with an extra sheet of course)!

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

Our room was very nice and spacious. The bathroom is a little dated and could use some updating.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. I am so glad you found your room spacious and comfortable. The General Manager is working with the owners to plan for a renovation which will cover the bathrooms in need of updating. The owners are always looking at the hotel and putting money towards projects they feel will have biggest guest impact. This year we have renovated our pool and coming soon will be our lobby, lobby bar, the outside entrance way, and the addition of LCD tv's to every room. The bathrooms that need to be updated are high on the list of projects that are being considered and I am hopeful they will be redone in the near future. Thank you again for your post!

Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

I'm a Diamond guy & expect to be well taken care of. The room was ordinary, I had to ask for a bathrobe for my wife & was told that I get coupons for a "Continental Breakfast"

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for the review and for being a Diamond Hilton Honors Member. We really appreciate it! As a Diamond member you are entitled to a Continental Breakfast, per the HHonors program, so I am unsure why you expected differently. All Diamond members can choose their amenity through their profile. The choices are- Continental Breakfast, complimentary internet, or bonus HHonor points. Please contact me if you would like assistance updating your profile.

Also through the HHonors program, robes are available to Diamond members on request. Hilton Worldwide is working hard to ensure all hotels follow the HHonors program strictly to show consistency in what you receive from hotel to hotel. I am sorry if you expected otherwise, but we did and do follow the Hilton Honors amenity program. Please feel free to contact me anytime. Thank you again for being a loyal Diamond member.