“Not that pleased” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
NJ
“Not that pleased”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

Well here I am, another hotel in another city. This makes about my 20ths stay in a hotel so far this year. I travel alot! So here's my review of this place. Its so so, Its little old no flat screen TVs, out dated furniture, just 80's old. Arrived late last night, check in and valet parking was easy, although staff was friednly, it was hard to understand them with thick Indian? accents. I just smiled and nodded my head alot. After we settled in teh room, we went up to the only full service resturant only to find out that friday night was comedy night and there would be an extra 20 charge for some hacky .commedican that perfroms durning dinner. NO Thanks! The only other food choice was the Lobby Bar which was very crowded due to several events going on in teh Hotel. Spent 91.00 on bar food including 22.00 for 2 drinks. Then back up to teh room. The AC isn't really working, it was hotter then hell in hereb all night. The Thermostat only goes down to 68 and its alot warmer in here then 68. Im here for one more night, Im on my way down to then desk to find out about a room change. I'll let you know how that goes later

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 1, 2010
Thank you very much for the review. June is here, which I have said in past reviews, means our LCD flat screen tv project is set to begin. Next week our armoires will be redone to allow for the tv's to be placed on top. This will add a significant upgrade to the rooms as I know all of our guests will enjoy the new tv's.
I am glad you found our staff friendly. I am sorry you had a challenge understanding one of our team members at the front desk. While the majority of our staff at the desk is made up of people born in this area we do have some staff members that join us from other parts of the world. Washington DC is a huge melting pot and while we welcome people with any ethic backrounds to be employees at the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC we are careful to ensure that all "front of the house" (mainly guest contact) employees speak english & can be easily understood.
Windows over Washington is run by the Comedy Zone on Fri & Sat nights. Actually, the comedians are quite funny and we get some nice reviews on them from our guests. Windows serves fine dining; more upscale than our other restaurants. The Lobby Bar is full service as well, and offers meals directly from our restaurant menu. You could also try the Skydome too which offers a menu of options to choose from and of course room service is always an option. I am sorry you did not find any of these to your liking.

I definately can understand the frustrations of sleeping in a room that is hotter than you prefer and I am sorry this happened to you. I am unsure if you called down to give us the opportunity to fix it or to switch your room that evening. I am hopeful you will find the resolution you are looking for and get a room more to your liking. Please feel free to contact me anytime and I will be happy to try and assist you or anyone else that reads my responses.

Thank you again for the review and for staying at the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City.

703-415-3846
kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I visited DC this past week and stayed at the Doubletree Crystal City. The hotel is very close to all the DC attractions and monuments, and the complimentary van took me to the subway. The desk staff is friendly and the cookies were great. The restaurant is so-so, but there are many other restaurants in the neighborhood to choose from. The rooms were nice, a good size and very clean. I would highly reccomment this hotel to anyone who is visiting DC either for business or pleasure. A great value for the price paid.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
Thank you for the very nice review! I am so glad you took advantage of the shuttle service to use the Metro and enjoy the area restaurants. Thank you for recommending others to use our hotel and I hope you will return soon.

Please feel free to contact me anytime -

Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

We rented two rooms for one night prior to our very early departure from Reagan National Airport. We were very pleased with the accomodations. The view from our room of the Monument and Capitol in DC was wonderful. The paid parking is my only complaint. I had emailed the manager several times asking various questions and his response was always prompt & helpful. We will definitely stay here when we fly out of DC again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 14, 2010
Thank you for the nice review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and your view! It is nice that you received a prompt response from the manager. We really try to ensure all guest questions are answered in a timely manner. I am sorry you were unhappy with the parking charge. Please keep in mind it is right in line with what other area hotels charge and below many of them. We look forward to your return.

Please feel free to contact me anytime -

Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

We were a little anxious when arriving as this hotel does seem to be far out of the city, but our fears were not founded. Regular free half hourly shuttle buses to the metro and Ronald Regan Airport. Trip for travellers, wait until after 9.30am and then get a metro pass for $18 for two people, this allows travel anywhere on the metro system with the facility to hop on and off all day.

We had a room in the North Tower, with a panoramic view over Washington, most comfy bed we have ever slept in at a hotel, extra pillows in the closet.

Coffee making facilities in the room and large TV with plenty of channels, plus pay to view latest movies.

Superbly clean throughout.

We upgraded our rate to include breakfast (tip: cheaper than buying breakfast per day), the choice of food was great, you could have grazed all day! Waiting staff could not do enough to help you and even offered you a Starbucks carry out. There is actually a Starbucks in the hotel.

Skydrome was OK but full of kids, after 9pm at weekends it becomes a night club with a $10 cover charge.

All in all a great stay, wonderful vacation and the most helpful of hotel staff. Would highly recommend.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 10, 2010
Good Day -- thank you for the positive review. I am so happy that you had an excellent stay. You are correct in your money savings tips -- an all day Metro pass is the way to go for sightseeing as you can ride the Metro all day for one low price rather than paying per stop. Also upgrading to a rate that includes breakfast is cheaper than buying the breakfast seperately. We have other packages and upgrades to choose from as well to help enhance the travelers stay!
In some of my past responses I have referenced the comfortable bed. We get many requests on how to buy the same mattressess, pillows, and bedding package. It is so comfortable!
Having a Starbucks in the hotel is definately a plus and so many of our guests love the convenience! On sold out nights, we sometimes actually have guests of other area hotels coming over in the morning to enjoy Starbucks.
Up until 9pm we love having families up to the Skydome to enjoy dinner and the spectacular view of the DC skyline, monuments, Pentagon, Reagan Airport, and the Potomac River. However, after 9pm it is adults only as it transforms into more of a nightclub atmosphere.
I am glad you found the hotel clean and enjoyable.. We look forward to coming back and appreciate you highly recommending the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City.

Please contact me anytime.

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

An old friend's mother passed away last week, so myself and a mutual friend made the trip to Arlington for a 3 night stay to support him and pay our respects. At reception, the front desk clerk was friendly, polite, and professional. The check - in process was quick and the cookies were great as always ;-). This hotel, located very close to the Pentagon, clearly caters to business clients first and foremost. When we checked in on Thursday, the place was packed. On Saturday and Sunday, it seemed deserted by comparison. All in all, I was pleased with the facility. The bed and pillows were magnificent. Additionally, extra towels and pillows requested by email in advance were in the room upon check-in. Big thumbs up for that!!! My main complaint would be the $22/nt self parking fee, (I understand that hotels located in major cities need to charge because parking is at a premium. However, although we were in the suburbs of D.C., we were not in D.C. proper, and I felt the charge was excessive). As a Gold Hilton Honors member, free (or at least reduced rate) parking would have been a nice perk. On the flip side of that coin, as a gold HH member, I received free continental breakfast coupons for each morning, and I felt that the $5 upgrade charge for the full breakfast buffet was a good value. The staff in the cafe were all attentive and friendly. Also, I noticed from previous responses to other reviews that flat screen TV's are coming. They can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned. Watching the Kentucky Derby in the room, I thought Secretariat was going to win the race based on the age of the TV I was watching! (slight exaggeration) ;-) Although I didn't ask to be upgraded to the HH floor, I can't help but wonder if those rooms already have the flat screens. I also had to use the ice machine on the North Tower HH floor (11) as the one on my floor (12) was spitting out what was essentially crushed ice, not cubes.

In conclusion, with the exception of the few negative items mentioned, I enjoyed my stay despite the sad reason for the trip and would probably return.

P.S. Fantastic views of the city from the top floor!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 4, 2010
Thank you for the review and I am sorry for the loss your friend suffered. I am very glad to read you had a nice check in experience & enjoyed the cookies. While, the hotel is just as busy on the weekends (especially April - August) as during the week it often does appear much more empty. That is because the weekends are usually guests out and about until late doing sight seeing, while the mid week customers usually return after work and the meeting rooms are full of business meetings. Great observation!
I understand the parking charge may seem high, but for this area it is right in line with other comparable hotels (range is $21 - $29). DC hotels can charge as high as $45 to park your vehicle. You are correct about the $5 upgrade option to the breakfast buffet, it is an excellent value.
I wish we had the LCD tv's already! The work is beginning this month to convert all the armoires into cradenzas that can hold the tv's as the armoires were made specifically to encase the old style tv's. We will work as quickly as possible to get the tv's in for all to enjoy! Very funny comment on Secretariat though.
Thank you for the note on the ice machine; I will ensure engineering is aware to look at it.
We'd love to have you back on your next trip to the DC Metro area and I sure hope you come in for much happier circumstances.
Yes, the views are the best of any DC Metro area property. You can either upgrade to a view room or enjoy the views via the Skydome (nightclub/lounge on the top floor with rotating floor and panaramic view of the DC Skyline, Pentagon, Potomac River, monuments, and Reagan Airport) or Windows Over Washington (fine dining with a comedy act).
Thank you again for the review. Please feel free to contact me anytime

Cortland, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

From past traveling experience when it comes to hotels we always go with the "hope for the best, but expect the worse" outlook.

This hotel definitatly surpassed our expecations. There was a small mix up at check-in, we were given a room that was obviously occupied when we opened the door. A quick trip back to the front desk to let them know and everything was fixed within a minute. The staff was great and very apologetic and we were given a comp card for the "inconvience".

The room was very clean. Even though we hung up our towels to reuse them, we had new fresh ones waiting for us when we returned back in the evenings.

The pool was nice as well, the guards took their job seriously and kept the older kids that were in the pool from getting too "rowdy" which is something you come to really appriciate when you have small childen in the pool.

The location is great as well, with a very large food court just a couple of blocks (or a shuttle stop) away.

We do a yearly trip to DC and for the past couple of years we have stayed at the Hyatt in Arlington.. We thought we would try something different this year and I'm very glad we did. We will most definitaly be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Thank you for the nice review. I am so glad the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City will be your hotel of choice on your future trips to the DC Metro area. I am sorry for the mix up at check in, but am happy to see it was quickly rectified and the staff properly apologized to you.

The food court at the mall is excellent - especially for families with children. You are correct, it is easily walkable or a quick hotel shuttle ride away. I am glad you got to enjoy our recently reopened and fully renovated pool. I will pass on your comments to the lifeguarding team.

We look forward to your return. Please contact me anytime -

milwaukee WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

stayed here Easter week - only stayed one day/night - enough time to see cherry blossoms in peak! A GREAT location to everything, never had to use the car - staff friendly and attentive - rooms clean and well stocked. Enjoyed the complimentary Wolfgang Puck coffee and teas - cookies at check-in were outstanding. View from our room superior - don't miss the revolving bar on top the hotel for a great nighttime view!
Would stay again without hesitation!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 19, 2010
Wow, what a fantastic review -- thank you. I am so glad you had an enjoyable experience. You are absolutely correct about our location -- there is no better location to be able to enjoy both the DC & VA attractions. We look forward to your return.