“No attention to the details” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Rates from $99!
Ranked #31 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Phoenix
“No attention to the details”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

I just returned from 2 nights at the Doubletree Crystal City Hotel.
I arrived around 6:30 pm and there was a little bit of a line. I tried using one of the kiosks in reception to check in. It printed out a slip telling me to go to the reception desk. Several colleagues who arrived earlier said they experienced the same thing, so I'm not sure why the kiosk is even there.

Although I had a reservation and confirmation number (the conference booked our rooms for us) I was told at reception that they didn't have any more rooms available for the night. I explained that I had a confirmed reservation, and she rudely told me that I should have arrived earlier in the day. A manager overheard and came over, and instantly found me a room.

My room was in the north tower and was supposedly a non-smoking room. It must have recently been converted (without changing carpet, drapes, or wall paper) because it had a faint smell of stale smoke, combined with a slight sewage smell. I called and asked for another room and was told that they were completely full and there were no other rooms.

The room was a decent size and layout. It was clean, but still had an overall grimy feel to it. The lack of attention to details was evident through out the room. On the wall next to my bed, a rather large picture had been removed. The hardware was still on the wall and I'm assuming they used some sort of spray adhesive on the wall to keep the picture (when it used to be there) from sliding. As a result, the wall was disgustingly sticky!! In order to deal with the grossness of that, I created a fun game of "what can the wall hold". A tissue would stick to the wall and not fall off; a piece of note paper wold stick for about 30 seconds; a washrag would stick for about 15 seconds before it fell off; a hand towel was too heavy and wouldn't stick at all.

Again, it could have been a nicer place if they paid attention to other details - the carpet was stained, there were stains on the bathroom counter, the bathroom wall had holes filled with brown spackle, and most of the wall outlets were installed crooked. Some of the towels were stained. My air conditioning worked well, but sounded like a jet was taking off in my room, so I couldn't run it while trying to sleep.

The bed was reasonably comfortable, but a bit too soft for my preference. The shower enclosure was a bit ugly and weird, but the water pressure was nice and the water got nice and hot. I just wished that the shower head was up higher and over my head, instead of neck level.

The restaurants were rather mediocre. There is a large menu posted outside the lobby bar, but you can't actually order off that menu - only the more limited bar menu. My first night, I got a pepperoni pizza which tasted like it was straight from the freezer section of my grocery store. It was a big production to get crushed red pepper to put on it. I also had lunch one day at the Cafe restaurant. I ordered the Salad Nicoise but received something else. It had barely seared tunu, romain, green beens, cucumbers, neon orange cheese (kraft singles??), radishes, and a few other ingredients that did not match the description on the menu. I told my waiter that it was wrong, and he insisted that he brought what I ordered. I made him get me a menu and compared what I had to the menu description and even then he argued that I got what I ordered. I told him to send it back and I didn't want another one. I ended up getting a sandwich instead. It tasted ok, but several hours later, I felt sick to my stomach.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,205 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

Good experience overall. The room itself was nice, and we had a view of the Monument, Capitol, and other Washington landmarks. Only complaints would have to be on the shuttle service - very unreliable, and we had to wait a long time for the one from DCA to the hotel - and that we had to wait an additional half hour to check in when we got to the hotel. Granted, though, we were checking in at 12:30, instead of the usual 3pm check-in time.

Overall: nice hotel, worth staying at.

• Liked — Nice rooms, pool, overall atmostphere.
  • Disliked — Shuttle service was unreliable.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Outside of Lowell, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

We arrived at this hotel where we had booked a Jr. Suite. We hate to be all in one room as our 7 year old needs to get to bed earlier than my husband/ I and our teenagers do. Booked thru the national reservation line.
When we arrived the check in clerk was very polite but informed me "yes most of our hotels have two room suites but we don't. But you have a Jr. Suite booked." Well people, the Jr. Suite is ONE ROOM with two double beds and a double pull out sofa. NOT A SUITE IN MY BOOK!!
Hotel was a bit rundown and could use some refurbishing (and we are NOT hotel snobs by any means). We were in the South tower with a nice view of the Pentagon and the Washington Monument though. The North tower is newer, so if you can stay there. Lots of airline personnel stay at this hotel.
Staff was very polite and helpful. We had to call as our AC didn't work. Man came right away to "fix it". Well he made it a bit better but our room was pretty hot still the entire stay.
One nite (during our six nite stay) we were sleeping at 2AM someone named "Kelly" opened the door into our room w/her keycard saying she had been assigned this room. Thankfully we had the deadlock on and the door only opened a couple inches. She was nice and said sorry and went downstairs to get another room. This was UNACCEPTABLE.
Front desk wasn't much interested in this when we went down the next AM. Said sorry and gave us a new keycard.
Food at the hotel restaurants is very expensive (as it is all over DC) but only just fair to eat.
Hotel pool has Nazi lifeguards who actually made our kids get out of the pool to shower before they got in. But they already WERE in when the lifeguard told them to shower first. Never been in a hotel where you really HAD to shower first, though all hotels have that sign. That was weird. Guess we can say the pool is clean though.
I wouldn't stay here again.

• Liked — View was nice.
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hokes Bluff, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

This was a nice hotel with a location close to the Pentagon and other military activities. The room was clean and everything was laid out in nice order. The revolving lounge at the top had an excellent view of DC. Check-in went quickly and the staff was friendly and helpful. Overall I had a good stay at this hotel and would stay there again.

Pros:
Location
Revolving Lounge (for the view)
Good restaurants on site
Clean
Friendly staff

Cons
Smallish rooms

• Liked — The view from the rooftop revolving lounge
  • Disliked — The small size of the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fair Haven, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

I have stayed here twice and both times were great. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and offer great views (well my rooms did).
I only wish the rooms had refrigerators since I have a baby. Also the restaurant downstairs and the Starbucks are kind of expensive and not that great.

• Liked — The view. It is also within walking distance to the Metro and to the mall.
  • Disliked — I wish it had refrigerators in the room.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

I attended a seminar at this hotel over the Memorial Day Weekend 2008 and stayed 4 nights. I am a frequent traveler and have stayed in hotels of all kinds all over the world, and would probably rate this hotel square in the middle. Not great, not terrible, just Ok. I paid a reduced group rate, but if you're not part of a group there are many better options in Crystal City for the full room rate. I stayed in a non-smoking King room in the North Tower.

Plusses:
-- Room was very clean, and housekeeping very attentive
-- Room was comfortable and adequate size; included coffee maker, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, Neutrogena soap/shampoo/conditioner/lotion
-- Close walk to Metro and shopping, and not terribly far from the shops and restaurants on Crystal Drive (although good luck getting that info from the Concierge)
-- Airport and local shuttle (I did not use this)
-- Doubletree's usual chocolate chip cookies on check-in
-- Kiosk in lobby serving Starbucks coffee (coffee served in meetings also Starbucks, so if you only want regular coffee, skip the kiosk and get the free stuff offered at your meeting/conference)
-- Computers in lobby with free Internet access
-- Convenience store in lobby with snacks, drinks, toiletries, books, souvineers, etc (though very expensive, i.e. $2.50 for a Coke, $3+ for water... drinks are less expensive in the vending machines located on each floor)
-- Great views of the Pentagon from some rooms (not mine) and great views of DC from the revolving bar/club on the top floor

Minuses:
-- Most of the staff I encountered were very rude and unhelpful. The Concierge didn't seem to know what was available near the hotel, nor was he interested in finding out. One woman in particular at the coffee kiosk was very rude and visibly rolled her eyes at me and sighed when I asked for a cup of ice water.
-- I did not eat in the hotel restaurant, but the food at the lobby bar was very overpriced and not very good. Service was extremely slow. Food served at the conference was average, edible but nothing special.
-- The room was very worn-- to the point that at first I thought the bathroom and carpets were dirty.
-- The shower was very strange, a pre-fab fiberglass "bubble" with a low showerhead. Water pressure/temperature were great, but I had to duck to fit (and I'm only about 5'9). It also seemed poorly made, as the floor of the tub had some "give" to it, and moved slightly as I walked.
-- Bar/club on top floor has a $10 cover charge on weekends, and is extremely loud and dark. Go there if you want to drink and dance. Don't go there if you want to talk to anyone.
-- Parking is $19 per day self-park and $26 per day valet. This is typical for Crystal City, just be aware of it when comparing prices (on the plus side, parking was ample, well-lit and safe)

As I said, overall it was just average. The most important thing to me is cleanliness, and this hotel scored high marks on that. Most of the minuses are things I can put up with, especially when paying a group rate. However at full room price, I would choose to stay elsewhere in Crystal City.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ann Arbor, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

I was attending a meeting at this hotel. I booked the room approximately 8 weeks in advance. When I arrived I was told that there were no more nonsmoking rooms left. I was also told that they routinely overbook the rooms and that this is a frequent occurrence. I travel a lot with business and have never had this happen before. It makes me wonder about the booking policy at this hotel.

Stayed May 2008