“A Touch Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Greenville, Maine
“A Touch Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

As a Hilton Honors Member, I primarily stay within the Hilton Family of hotels while traveling. I chose this particular hotel because of its location. Upon arrival, I was informed that the only King room available was a handicap room which was fine for my stay as it was just for one night. I did not request a handicap room when booking my stay. The following morning as I went to shower, I found that the shower head support bar was broken, not allowing me to secure the shower head in place. Again, as I explained to the hostess it wasn't a big deal for me. I was just concerned with what a handicap person would endure if they were to stay in the room. Other than that, I was pleased with my stay.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry that the showerhead was not secured properly. While it may have been a challenge for a person in need of that type of room it was also a frustration for you and again I offer my apologies. You bringing it to our attention is appreciated so we can be sure it is repaired in time for the next guest. Also appreciated is your understanding. It is nice to read that otherwise you had a positive stay experience.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I hope you return soon so we can work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman anytime at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

1,224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I traveled to spend our vacation in the DC area. We were very pleased with the ambiance of the hotel and the room was nice and clean. We were greeted with a smile by any staff employee we came in contact with which made us feel very welcomed. We spent most of our time touring the city but we did order room service a couple of mornings and the food was good. Our best experience was at the skydome revolving restaurant on our last night at the hotel. The view was amazing and the blueberry bar-b-que pork chop was juicy and delicious. We were surprised to see that the gentleman who had previously helped us with directions around the hotel a couple days before was also the soiux chef of the skydome restaurant.Vincent stopped by our table to ask us how our stay at the hotel had been so far and also what we thought of our meal. He was very pleasant and we appreciated the hospitality.

Room Tip: Be sure to choose an odd numbered room( rooms on the same side as the entrance). You get a great vie...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review on both this and the Skydome TripAdvisor page. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your visit and your room accommodations. I appreciate you commenting on the staff as they work so hard to offer this same experience to all of our guests.

The new menu at the Skydome has received such positive feedback. The pork chop is a favorite item and I am glad you enjoyed it. Unlike a lot of chefs that prefer to remain in the kitchen area, Chef Vincent really enjoys engaging in conversation with our guests. He can regularly be seen going table to table in the Skydome to get feedback not only on the dishes he helped prepare, but also on our guests stay experience. It is nice of you to mention him so he can get recognized for his efforts.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I hope you return soon and we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman anytime at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

If I could give this hotel negative 3 stars I would ! Better to call it DoubleTree nickel and dime you !! Having to travel to DC on business I've stayed in most of the hotels in this area and this one is the WORST !!! From the musty smell - dirty hallways - mattress that feels like it hasn't been replaced since they build the Pentagon -room that smells worse than the Potomac when the sewage plant overflows - the hole in the wall with the outlet hanging out to the dresser which I wouldn't put a dirty shoe in !! I wouldn't board my dog here !!! I booked this hotel through Priceline - just 2 weeks ago I stayed at the Sheraton down the street on Route 1 for less money and had a FABULOUS FABULOUS stay with the best customer service ! THIS IS A HORRID - HORRID HOTEL particularly the arrogant Manager and General Manager - no and I mean no Customer Service. To add insult to injury they charge for WiFi in your room - it's free in the lobby and business center - given the state of the room this actually might be the one benefit that this hotel does offer since it doesn't smell and the outlets aren't falling of of the wall ! RUN DON"T WALK to another hotel !!! Sleeping on the Metro is better than staying in this hotel !!!

Room Tip: Book a room at any other hotel - the Sheraton just down the street on Route 1 is fabulous and less e...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for posting your review. I am sorry you had such a negative stay experience. Thankfully, your perception of the hotel is not the norm for our guests. I invite readers of this review to read the many other reviews to get a better understanding of the hotel and customer service offered. I truly am sorry you are disappointed with your room accommodations.

In speaking to the Director of Front Office, I understand you are upset about the charge for the Internet. Please know this is not a hotel decision, but one made by Hilton Worldwide. All full service hotels within Hilton Worldwide (Doubletree, Embassy Suites, and Hilton) charge for Internet. This is the same decision made by most major hotel companies (Marriott, Hyatt, etc) as they too charge for Internet in their full service brands. As you mentioned we do offer the option of having it complimentary in the lobby, Lobby Bar, and business center. I’d like to let the readers of this response know that we do offer room packages that include the Internet charge which is popular for our travelers that prefer to have the discounted charge rolled up in a package price.

You mentioned the General Manager, but to my knowledge, you have not had a conversation with me. However, I am going to reach out to speak to you further about your experience and try to make it right. We absolutely care about our guests and try to provide a fantastic stay experience. The large majority of our guests leave happy and wanting to return.

After receiving your review I went to your room with another team member. We did not notice any smells that would remind us of a sewage plant and have not received any comments like this from guests that have stayed in this room (or surrounding rooms) prior to you. It is surprising to read that you were uncomfortable in your mattress. We receive so many comments about how comfortable the bedding is and even requests on where to buy the same mattress for home. I did not notice a hole in the wall, but I am sorry if I missed it. Again, I am very sorry that you are upset with your room accommodations.

Once again I am sorry you had such a poor stay and hope you have many more positive travel experiences moving forward. Again, I hope the readers of this review will also read the many other reviews that offer a different opinion of the hotel and staff. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Doubletree crystal city is a nice hotel w a friendly staff. This review is about the Skydome restaurant above (in) the hotel. The view is great, and you should try it for the view. However, the staff there is not well trained, the menu is limited, and the food is poor. Three of us ordered cocktails, which were watered down, the waiter recommended the most expensive items on the menu,which were very disappointing. We spent $200 dollars and left hungry and unsatisfied. No management presence in the dining room. We had to ask for service several times.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be friendly. However, it is disappointing to read you did not enjoy your Skydome experience. This is really unusual as the Skydome is ranked 18 out of 636 Arlington restaurants (top 97%) on TripAdvisor. I invite readers who are interested in other Skydome perspectives to read the many reviews on the Skydome TripAdvisor page.

I truly am sorry that you did not have a pleasant Skydome experience and invite you to reach out to Mick Miller, the Skydome Manager at 703-416-3862 and mick.miller@hilton.com He would like to learn more and try to make it right.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope you return soon. Next time you will have to try the Skydome! Please know that we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman anytime at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He will be happy to assist in anyway he can.

Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I booked this room through Hotwire so it was the site unseen 3.5 star available for 2 nights at a very good $92 a night rate including taxes. The Double is basically a convention/event hotel so there is a lot of activity around the lobby. It is walking distance to the Pentagon city Mall and crystal city and Pentagon metro stations. This makes this place very convenient to get around the city. The parking was a little steep at $26/night but they give you a card for in/out privileges. My room was clean but rather bland, everything worked and the staff was friendly and helpful. This was business and whenever I am in DC for business or pleasure I rarely spend much time in the hotel. This property is usually available at a decent price, especially on the weekends when the Pentagon crowd is not around. If you need somewhere to stay with good city access, a decently appointed room and a good price this surely fits the bill. Oh yea there is the revolving restaurant on the roof here but I didn't try it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the DC side of the hotel have a view of the Washington monument and capital
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am glad you found value in your experience with us. We are fortunate to have 31,000 square feet of meeting space to be able to work with large or small groups, but also be close enough to DC that we also cater to many families, reunions, and social events. It is nice to read that you found our location convenient for your needs.

Our parking charge does seem steep, but when compared to area hotels you will find it is right in line and well below the prices to park at a hotel inside Washington DC. I appreciate you referencing your clean room as the housekeeping staff works very hard to offer this experience to all of our guests.

Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I really enjoyed myself my stay at Doubletree hotel-Crystal City, VA the service was great, the room was nice and lovely. I really wanted to return back to the hotel again real soon. Thanks you to the staff members at Doubletree Hotel

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is so nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and it is rewarding to read that you found the service to be superior. The staff works hard to offer this same experience to all of our guests.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for your review. We hope you return soon and we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman anytime at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He will be happy to assist in anyway he can.

Nashua NH, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Not open until 4:30 PM We meet with several other people and had to leave the hotel to have a drink. the lounge should be available B4 4:30. R00ms were fine but used glasses were not replaced. But all staff was very friendly. Not my first choice for a Hilton but every other of your facilities was booked. look forward to our next trip to DC and our stay at the Westin in ARLINGTON.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for posting your review. I appreciate your suggestion to alter the hours of the Lobby Lounge as does the Food & Beverage Director. While we currently do not have any plans to alter the hours, please know when changes are made often times it is due to suggestions like yours.

However, I do want to point out that Made Market, which sits adjacent to the Lobby Bar does have beer & wine available for purchase and this is open from 6am - 11pm daily. I am sorry you were not pointed this way if you inquired.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your room and found the staff to be friendly. My apologies that your glasses were not replaced during the daily housekeeping cleaning. That should not have been the case and the Director of Housekeeping will follow up with his staff about this.

Thank you again for your review and I hope your stay at the Westin goes great. I also hope you will return to stay with us soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He will be happy to assist n anyway he can.