“Below Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
McDonough, Georgia
“Below Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Pros:
Location
Shuttle to metro
Friendly Valet and Bellman who both go beyond the extra mile.

Cons:
Small cramped rooms
A/C was broken, asked for a fan and it took an hour to get here..
Very crowded and loud hotel
Dirty / Old rooms. Really need updating and painting, lots of
Internet didn't work.
And more!

Pretty a long time HiltonHonors member I am pretty sure we are done with Hilton all together

• Stayed July 2013
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience, but appreciate you mentioning the positive aspects of your stay. We are fortunate to have a fantastic location as it relates to Washington DC, the Metro, Mall, Pentagon, and Reagan National Airport. Thank you for mentioning the bellman as they work hard to ensure our guests are happy.

We have many room types so if this one was too small for you please think about different options should you return. I can understand why not having the air conditioning work properly would be frustrating and apologize for this. Typically the engineering team can fix it or a room change is offered. Without knowing the specifics of your situation I am unsure what was offered, but again apologize for the challenge.

Many of the other reviews mention the hotel being quiet, but I am sorry you found it to be too loud. Again, without specifics I am unsure what you found to be too loud. I hope you will contact me directly so I can get some more information on your room. The Director of Property Operations would love to follow up on this. i am sorry you were not happy with the condition of your room. I wish you let us know of your challenge with the Internet as perhaps a server needed to be rebooted. I am unaware of any hotel challenges with Internet and we do have a support line available at all times.

Thank you for your review. It is so nice to read that you had such a pleasant stay. I appreciate you mentioning the staff as we work hard to ensure every guest is satisfied - every time! It is our pleasure to answer questions and do what we can to make a guests' stay even more positive.

Thank you again for your review and i hope you consider your decision not to return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Happy travels -

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Lithonia, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I will get the negative out of the way first. These things happen

Wife and I were in town for her sorority's 100th anniversary. We arrived to check in to notice a very long check in line with what I perceived to be one person working behind the counter. The other person was tied up with another customer. The line was at least 15 folks deep. Very few of the rooms were ready for check in. There were several other events that appear to be taking place. D.C. is a busy place. After a roughly 30 minute wait, I finally got to the front of the line to be told our room was not ready. They were able to confirm our room type (King Suite with Balcony). I was alright. We were kinda early anyway (2:30pm). We decided to park the car and walk over to the D.E.A. Museum which was a couple of blocks away. Hit up D.E.A. and walked across the street to CVS, Best Buy, and Marshall's. Got back around 4:30pm and the room was ready.

Because we didn't stay in the room too much, we probably didn't need the balcony room. Had a good view of The Capital Building but pretty noisy due to Jeff Davis Pkwy just below. It's nice to know we had a better overall view than some of the other South Tower rooms. This room, due to the balcony access, did not have a good amount of seating in the living room. Probably something that could have been addressed if we requested. Once again, we did not spend too much time in the room. Granite counter tops and good amount of storage.

The hotel is older but they've made great efforts to keep it modern. Living room has flat screen TV, fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. Also had a work desk. There are two closets, one by entry to room and the other by the bedroom entry. There is an in-room safe in the main closet by bedroom.

Bathroom is also updated with laminated (wood?) flooring. Water pressure was good and hot water was pretty instantaneous. Decent storage in the bathroom for personal travel kits you may bring.

Bedroom was good sized with night stands on both sides. Dresser with granite counter tops. Access to balcony and flat screen T.V. I don't know what kind of bed this was but I rested very well at night.

Plenty of electrical outlets to plug in any and all devices you can bring. This is not normal in hotel rooms. Room also had AC/Heating unit that was relatively quiet. AC worked very well.

We stayed for 6 nights. I would recommend inquiring about the variety of Parking/Internet/Breakfast plans they offer. Breakfast is continental. $5 upcharge for full. They are not included in the price of the room. Do your homework before you stay in any hotel... If you are driving, there is parking on the street that's available in 12 hour intervals. Didn't interest me because I prefer my vehicle being in a consistent spot. Within their hotel parking lot, don't be scared to park on the lowest level. There are only 2 parking levels. I parked on the lowest level right by the elevator entrance every night.

This hotel is also located two blocks from the Pentagon City metro station. There is a pedestrian path, which is essentially 12th Street, between Eads St. and Fern St. We usually came back to the room late at night. There always appeared to be people walking thru from the Metro Station and the numerous Condo/Apts/Hotels in this area. Never felt unsafe.

Finally, you will notice that the hotel manager, Kevin Feldman, reads and responds to many of the reviews. I emailed Kevin ahead of time to gather information. Please feel free to do so. He actually responds. If he doesn't, he will delegate to someone else. Once again, do your homework before going to any hotel. That would usually cut down on issues when you arrive. Also note that this is a pretty large hotel. Check in may not go as smooth as you would like if you are arriving at the normal check in time.

Room Tip: Inquire about Business Plan if you are driving and have a laptop.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I appreciate you being so understanding about your room not being available for early check in. We try to accommodate this request when it is made, but it is based on availability. I am sorry that you had a long wait as that is not usually the case. We did have a large group that arrived early hoping for early check in.

Yes, the rooms that offer the best views are in the North Tower. The only rooms with a view in the South Tower are the ones with a balcony. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your view. My apologies that you did not find the seating to be ample enough. We do have other room types that offer more seating so perhaps if you return one of these rooms would work best.

I am glad you noticed the changes we have made to the hotel. The suite you described is one of our more recently renovated suites and it is nice to read that you enjoyed your accommodations.

You offer a great tip to travelers; to look into package prices. The Internet/parking/breakfast package is an excellent value. HHonors Gold & Diamond do receive a continental breakfast per the HHonors amenity program, but as you mention it can be upgraded to a full breakfast at only $5.

The path to the Metro is a heavily traveled one. Like with any area, it is important to be safe, but thankfully I have not heard of any reasons for anyone to feel unsafe with this walk. I appreciate you contacting me prior to your arrival as i really enjoy hearing from people that read my responses. I respond to all reviews and offer my contact information in each one for that reason. We try to keep up with the check in demand, but on heavy check in days with events, like yours, there may be a wait.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. Please know that we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Soddy Daisy, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our stay was excellent. The staff was very pleasant, friendly and able to answer our questions about the metro and restaurants in the area. We had never been to DC, so we had many questions about getting around. The staff was always able to point us in the right direction.

New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel is beautiful inside and out. The service was great, the staffs were ready and courteous. It was clean and quiet. This place is not far from the attractions. It a perfect getaway to Washington DC.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am so glad to read that you had an enjoyable experience. I appreciate you mentioning the cleanliness as the housekeeping staff works hard to make sure all guests have the same perception as you do.

We understand that you have many options when choosing where to stay and while some hotels have different amenities, that it is the staff that can often make the biggest difference. It is great to read that we exceeded your expectations.

Many of our guests really enjoy being close enough that enjoying Washington DC is so simple, but not having to stay inside the District. The cost savings can be significant!

Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This Was A Very Nice and Clean Stay and A Beautiful Restaurant On The Sky I Really Think it Was A Nice Stay For My Family and Very Comfortable Beds,I was Though Disappointed on Not Having a Fridge but it Was Ok,The View Was Nice Too, I Would Say Its A Nice Hotel

Room Tip: The Rooms Near The Lower Floors are Usually Smaller and Bigger Up Higher
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is nice to read that youy enjoyed your stay experience and I am glad you got to have a Skydome experience. It is unique to the area and I really recommend that all of our guest's go to the Skydome.

Many of our guests comment how comfortable the beds are and I am glad to read this was your experience too. We do have some rooms that have refrigerator and microwave in them. However, if a guest does not have one in his/her room please call the CARE line and request one. We have some available upon request for no charge.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. We will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Las Vegas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Got this through Priceline at a very decent rate. Excellent shuttle service to Pentagon City Metro where there is a mall and a food court as well. Don't buy anything in the cafe as all items including coffee are expensive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and found the location to be convenient for your needs. The shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro/Pentagon City Fashion Mall does make it simple to get to/from that location. Many of our guests prefer the short 3 block walk (7-10 minutes).

I am sorry that you found the prices in the Cafe to be higher than you wanted to spend, but glad you found the food court at the mall to be to your liking. Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 4th July weekend and it was "Horrible" from the start.First we were booked in the wrong room,secondly the correct room,the key never worked,security personnel came 20 mins later and opened up the suite and we were told that we can't exit our room,because we won't have access to re:enter.
After 30-45 mins the key issue was resolved,only to realize that our suite still had trash in there,we alerted house keeping and we were told that its going to be taken care.We left for dinner and returned approximately 2 hours later,upon our arrival the air inside was "Lysol",but the trash still there,so house keeping just came and sprayed and left.
The trash was eventually removed after 4 hours.Next day we checked out,I unfortunately left behind a pair of Bob Marley slippers(10.00) and my BRAND NEW PSP Vita with my games in a casing(325.00) NEXT to my slippers.After calling the Hotel Lost & Found department I was told that my slippers is there,but no PSP Vita.
So...on top off very "unprofessional" service,their housekeeping staff is very [D]IS-HONEST.I have stayed at other Double Trees,but this one is definitely the "worst".The only simmering light in this horrible ordeal was the front desk manager was very apologetic and understanding (Edita Correa),she gave me a 50.00 discount for my $335.00 loss.WOW!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry you had a disappointing stay. Without knowing the specifics of your reservation, I can not comment on the room type. We do block rooms according to the room type in the reservation, but apologize that you did not get the room type you were expecting.

While we do have challenges from time to time with a lock or key, I have not heard of security or any employee request a guest not leave their room. The Director of Property Operations and the Director of Security will look into this. I can understand why it was frustrating not to have a key (or lock) that worked properly and apologize this occurred.

It is very rare for so many challenges to happen to one family. I am sorry that your room was not clean and then the improper message was passed to the housekeeper. It is disappointing to read and know it was even more disappointing for you to experience.

We have had many items such as jewelry, cash, expensive gaming equipment, etc. left behind by guests only to be turned in by the housekeeper to be returned to the departed guest. I am sorry that your lost item was not found, but the guests that have had these items returned would disagree with your assessment that the housekeepers here are dishonest.

Compensation for lost items is not a customary practice in hotels as it is an insurance issue. I am sorry that you were not happy with Edita's offer of $50 off for your troubling stay. You are more than welcome to contact me so we can discuss this further.

Thank you again for your review and I am sorry you did not have an enjoyable stay. I do hope you return so we can show you that your experience is not typical of a guest that stays with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Kevin Feldman