“Nice hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Rome, New York
“Nice hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Traveled with our 3 young kids. We upgraded to a 2 room king suite once we got there. It was nice having the separate area once the kids went to sleep. Hotel was clean, everything worked great. Bathroom was nice. Pool was closed for the first couple days. Kids went in it the last night but it was boring for them. They have lifeguards on duty who don't let the kids do anything, too many rules, no fun. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others and stay again IF we planned on going to DC again, which we don't due to the parking and traffic issues (but that's a whole other review). Hotel's welcome cookies are amazing! My only issue with the hotel besides the lifeguards was one morning the housekeeper tried opening our door at 8:30am while we were all still sleeping. :/

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had an enjoyable stay and an upgrade was available at check in. I am sorry the pool was closed as a repair was needed, but glad it opened up before you left. The lifeguards do need to enforce rules to keep everyone safe, but I am sorry if this caused your children not to be able to enjoy their swim.

The housekeeping crew does knock on the doors prior to entering and I am sorry if you did not hear her knock due to you being asleep. I hope you reconsider your decision not to return to DC due to the traffic/parking. I recommend using the Metro as this will eliminate both challenges. We hope you return and will have some more warm cookies waiting!

Thank you again for the review and for your recommendation. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

1,195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Pool was closed our first day, second day it opened and we had to wait to be admitted, swam 15 minutes and they made everyone get out. Just generally not very kid friendly. Room was ok nothing special. No microwave. They found a fridge when we asked.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay. The pool closing was unfortunate, but needed due to an unexpected repair. I am unsure why you would be asked to get out of the pool after fifteen minutes as that is not typical. We have a tremendous amount of families that really enjoy staying with us, but I am sorry you left feeling differently.

Some of our rooms do have microwaves/refrigerators in them and we have some available upon request for guests in rooms without these already present, I am glad you had a refrigerator delivered to you when you requested it.

Thank you again for your review and I am sorry you left disappointed. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Gulf Breeze, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

the hotel was nice but not what i expected. I asked for a DC view and got a view of the hotel across from me. there was not WIFI unless you paid for it and that was per WIFI item. and also the restaurant at the hotel was overpriced. i will not be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you left disappointed. We try to meet all requests for view rooms, but the only true way to ensure you get the room type you want is to reserve it. Our view rooms are the most popular room type all year round, but especially in the summer when the hotel is full of families. I am sorry we could not meet your request for a view room.

The decision to charge for Internet is not one the hotel makes. Hilton Worldwide has decided to charge for Internet in all full service hotels (Doubletree, Hilton, and Embassy Suites). This is the same decision that has been made at all major hotel companies (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc.) as they too charge for the Internet at their full service hotels. We do offer complimentary wifi in our Lobby and Lobby Bar as well as complimentary Internet on our business center computers. While not as convenient as being in your room, it is an option. Also, HHonors Gold & Diamond members receive complimentary Internet at all Hilton Worldwide hotels, which is a great reason to sign up for HHonors.

I am confident that if you were to look at other area hotel restaurant charges that you would find our prices to be in line with theirs. However, I am sorry that you felt the prices were too high.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you reconsider your decision not to return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Marion, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

From check in to check out we were treated very well at this hotel despite a few challenges. The first night our room air was working but not very well. Maintenance came up to look at it and improved it but not much, he brought cookies for the kids which they enjoyed. Second night we moved to a different room and no problems. Pool was closed during our stay, another bummer.

Room was clean, plenty of towels, very nice flat panel HD tv. You can request a frig and microwave. I would suggest parking in section D and staying in the North Tower. Elevator goes straight from the parking area there to the rooms in the N Tower eliminating unload hassle and the need for the bell hop. The pool is also in the North Tower and the views of the City are awesome. Addita (probably spelled her name wrong) assisted us at the front counter and worked through our early room issues and made the rest of our stay very enjoyable. We stayed for 3 days with 2 kids.

The hotel is close to the Pentagon City Metro. There is a walking trail that goes from the hotel to the Metro or a shuttle from the Hotel, we just walked as it took only a few minutes. A mall, CVC, Costo, Starbucks ( the important things), at plenty of restaurants at the Metro stop. We went into the City everyday, very easy.

I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the North tower and this is where the pool is. Easy access to the parking garage.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review about your experience. I appreciate you mentioning that the staff treated you well as we work hard to make each guest interaction a positive one. My apologies to you for the challenges that you experienced. I can understand why the a/c challenge would be frustrating and I am glad the 2nd room you had did not have the same challenge.

The pool being closed was unfortunate. However, it was necessary for an emergency repair. We know that this time of the year a lot of our guests want to enjoy the pool and believe me we would not have closed it unless it absolutely necessary. However, the pool had a small leak and being it is on the 14th floor, we had to address this right away. I am sorry that pool was unavailable to you on this visit. It did reopen on July 3rd.

Good tip on the parking and I am sure some of our readers will appreciate that. Edita is a fantastic employee and I am so glad she helped make your stay enjoyable.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return again soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

McHenry, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife, 3 children and I stayed at the Doubletree in Crystal City this past April. The rooms were very spacious and clean. I was surprised based on some of the previous reviews. We stayed on the Hilton Honors 11th floor--nice and clean. The room was very spacious and the view of DC was perfect. The extra sofa sleeper works great for kids. I recommend this hotel to anyone who traveling with their family and wants a safe and convenient location. There is plenty of shopping nearby and it is close to the train station. A couple of times, we walked instead of taking the shuttle.

The only negatives things I found were, one, there was a cracked glass window in the swimming area. This could be a safety problem. Two, the pool closed early on Saturday evening (before 10 pm), so that was disappointing for my kids, after a long day at the museums. Three, the shower in the pool area was not functional.

The free shuttle and convenient location make this a great hotel. I would recommend this to anyone for business or pleasure. It won't break your budget or leave you broke. The chocolate chip cookies were pretty good, except my kids don't like nuts.

So, to the management of this hotel, I would suggest to do a little more maintenance. Keep the pool open longer hours and provide more freebies and activities for the kids! If you do that, you'll have everyone beating a path to your doorstep. Also, please give our compliments to housekeeping staff. They did an excellent job keeping everything tidy and clean. Good luck and see you the next time I am in DC.

-TJL

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Hilton Honors floor, if you are member. The 11th floor facing north has a per...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your room and found it to be clean. While it was a surprise to you, it is not to us as the large majority of our guests leave happy and wanting to return. Our housekeepers work very hard to offer our guests an experience similar to yours. I appreciate your recommendation to other travelers. Most of our guests really like having the option of walking to the Metro or taking the complimentary shuttle. I notice a lot of families walk in the morning (3 blocks; 7-10 minutes) and then after a long day of touring enjoy the ride back.

I am sorry that the pool closed early. It is rare and without knowing the specific date I can not identify the reason. Sometimes it is due to lightning as this is required due to the sky lights. You reference that you stayed in April and I have been told the shower is now working properly. However, I am sorry that it was not when you stayed. The cracked glass was also repaired.

The pool hours are longer in the spring/summer. After Memorial Day the pool is open 10-10pm every day until Labor Day. Then the hours go back to 5pm - 10pm on weekdays and 10am - 10pm on weekends/holidays. I really appreciate your suggestions! All reviews are read by the entire staff so your kind words will be passed on to the housekeeping staff.

Thank you very much for your review and for your recommendation. We look forward to your next visit and will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Brunswick, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We booked this room last minute and chose it based on it's location. We were very pleased with the excellent view of Washington. It was conveniently located which allowed us to sight see a little before continuing our trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad our location was convenient for your needs. We are fortunate to be so close to the Metro which makes it very easy to get into the city and also right across the street from the Pentagon for the many people that need to go there. However, the most fortunate aspect of our location is the unobstructed view of Washington DC from many of our guest rooms and the Skydome. It is nice that you were able to enjoy this. Many guests really enjoy looking out the window to spot the places they have gone or the places they planning to visit.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. We will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights during a quick trip. The hotel was about five blocks from the metro. Once we parked our car we used the metro the whole time. The area immediately around the hotel was decent with restaurants and amenities within walking distance. Just remember to pack an umbrella. Late afternoon thunderstorms are common and you want to continue site seeing. Our room was very nice and clean. The restaurant was open for breakfast and lunch. We had the full breakfast which was a $5 upgrade from the continental breakfast included with the room rate. It included hot items like pancakes, bacon and eggs to order. Our last night after returning soaked from the rain we opted for room service. The food arrived FAST and was delicious. We would stay here again, especially if we were seeing the sites in DC.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you found our location to be convenient for your needs. We are fortunate to have a location so close to the airport and the Metro that a complimentary shuttle can offered. As you mentioned it is also just a short 3 block walk (7-10 minutes) to the Pentagon City Metro Station and many of our guests like having the option of walking or taking the shuttle.

You aren't kidding about the rain! I heard on the radio that the DC area had the most rain in June than in any month in this area since 1973. Hopefully that trend will change, although it has rained each day in July so far too. Good tip on the umbrella! I am glad you took advantage of a room package that includes breakfast and enjoyed your dining experience. We know that many of our guests come back from touring the District very hungry and try to deliver room service quickly. I appreciate you mentioning that you enjoyed the room service too.