“A nice experience that could have been slightly improved” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Rates from $99!
Ranked #32 of 48 hotels in Arlington
South Windsor, Connecticut
“A nice experience that could have been slightly improved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My overall experience was positive and had the food quality at the lobby bar been better and the room been a little less worn my overall rating of the hotel would have been improved. I would definitely return as I understand the rooms are all being updated.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you had a positive experience and appreciate the suggestions on what could have been done better. I am sorry that the quality of the food at the Lobby Bar was below expectations. Hopefully you will follow up with me directly so I can let the Kitchen Manager know exactly what was ordered and we can make it up to you on your next visit. We strive to exceed all expectations and I know he would like to follow up on this further.

Yes, we are excited about the completion of our room renovation. The feedback on the ones that have been finished has been so positive. Thank you again for your review and I do hope you return soon to experience the newer rooms. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me directly.

1,300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I attended a conference at this hotel. Overall, the conference was well run and the spaces on the lower levels worked. The layout is a bit odd and rooms can be hard to find. The hotel was recently redone and was comfortable even with the large crowd.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad you had a positive meeting experience at the hotel. We do offer 31,000 square feet of meeting space to go along with our 631 rooms and host many meetings/events.

I am sorry you found find the rooms to be challenging. We try to provide signage directing attendees to each room and the staff is always willing to assist.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return to attend another meeting soon! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I've been unfortunate to have one of the worst hotel experiences in my travels here - and certainly the worst experience I've had at a HIlton property.

Pro's:
-- The city view room offered a nice view of the city and the opportunity to watch flights landing
-- The hotel didn't charge me for the room after the awful experience

Con's:
-- Hotel was experiencing power outages but discouraged me from changing rooms. We didn't have power in the room for almost 1 hour. Mind you, this was one of the hotter days of the year so far, so no power meant no air conditioning. We were traveling with a 6 week old infant.
-- Air conditioning failed twice. While cold air was coming from the unit, it wasn't able to cool the room down. Unit was set for 67 degrees, but the room temperature was showing at 75+. Normally may not have been an issue, but with an infant it was.
-- Lack of hot water in the middle of the night. Engineering came to fix it, but the problem seem to disappear. Not sure what was going on. We were told that the hotel was full and that may be the cause of the problem, however this seemed to be suspect as it was 3am when we were trying to get the water.
-- Calls to the front desk didn't seem to resolve any issues. I'm not normally a complainer and don't tend to ask for "compensation," but I grew increasingly frustrated especially as the room's conditions contributed to my baby's discomfort. The staff seemed to be on-edge and come into my room with an attitude. I was simply asking for what I had reserved - a functioning room.
-- Even though I asked, parking wasn't loaded onto my room key. When I tried to leave the garage, the gate wouldn't open. When I pressed the attendant button, no one answered for 10 minutes. We had to back out of the exit and go back to the front desk to have the situation resolved.
-- When I initially asked to have my room changed, I was discouraged. However, after the host of problems, I was continually asked if I was willing to switch rooms. Given that we had spread out, changing rooms at this point was inconvenient and problematic. Not sure why I was continually asked if I wanted to do this. if they Staff knew that the room was a problem, they should have just told me that changing rooms was the only option and let me deal with it then.

Honestly, when I was having one of the my frequent visits to the front desk, I heard other customers compliment the Staff. So, not everyone has had a miserable experience. I wish I was one of them... We ended up leaving early and moved to another property where we had a great experience. I will definitely avoid this property.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, book a room with city view. While the view of the city isn't breathtakin...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that you had a disappointing stay experience. I appreciate you mentioning the positive aspects of your stay and glad the staff took off the room charges due to the challenges you experienced.

I can understand why having the power go out was frustrating. The power going out was due to a leak that unfortunately shorted out some circuits. We were trying to hold off on transferring rooms until we had an estimated time of repair and also many rooms were affected. The last thing we would want to do is move you and then have the power go out in that room too. Again, I can understand why this was upsetting to you and apologize that you had this experience. While power outages do happen at all hotels/homes, clearly the power going out is not a typical occurrence and one we do not expect to be repeated for quite some time.

My apologies that the air conditioning unit was not cooling the room to the set temperature. I am sure this was a frustrating experience for you and again I am sorry.

That is strange that you would not have hot water and then the problem was resolved on its own. You are correct, 3am is not a time many people would be using the water. I am unsure if this was related to the leak repair as I do know the water in certain areas of the hotel had to be turned off at some points. I am glad the lack of hot water corrected itself, but sorry you had a challenge in getting hot water when you first tried.

While the staff was tested this weekend due to the challenges the leak caused, that should not have been apparent to you. I am sorry they did not display their normal upbeat positive attitude with a smile that they usually do. You are correct again that you have every right to ask for what you expected. We request our guests let us know when something needs to be corrected and regardless of the challenges, we should be thankful when they do. My apologies that you perceived the staff to have a negative attitude.

I am sure on top of everything else, the key not working to exit the garage was very irritating. I am unsure why the attendant did not respond, but will let the director of the company that runs the parking garage know so he can follow up on this. I am sorry for this challenge.

As I mentioned, we were trying to have the leak/power challenge assessed prior to changing rooms to avoid further frustrations. However, when you did have other challenges in the room we wanted to offer you a different room to help improve your experience. I can understand why you did not want to change as it is a hassle to move rooms. We sincerely felt that if did change rooms you would be much happier.

I really appreciate you mentioning that other guests were complimenting the staff and we feel so bad that we let you down. Challenges do pop up from time to time, but it is so unusual for one family to have so many. I will reach out to you to try and make this right as we do not want to be remembered by you as offering your worst Hilton experience. I am very confident that if given another opportunity that you would leave here with a much improved perception of the hotel and staff. I do hope readers of this review will read the many other reviews to know this guest experience is not the norm.

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Northumberland, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is a good choice for those who want to stay outside of Washington, DC. It is convenient to a Metro stop and shopping malls. The staff members are friendly, and helpful, plus the hotel is very clean, modern and has lots of amenities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found our location to fit your needs. Many of our guests appreciate having the option of walking the short walk (3 blocks; 7-10 minutes) or taking the complimentary shuttle to the Metro and Mall. Getting into DC is so simple and it can be very cost effective to stay in Crystal City vs. DC.

I appreciate you mentioning the friendly staff and clean hotel. We work hard to offer each guest a positive hotel stay. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Gunpowder, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Although the rooms were small and the extra spent on a "city view" was wasted, the rooms and hotel were clean and the food service was great. The things that made my visit frustrating is that the concierge was never available and did not return phone calls, the front desk always seemed to have someone "in training", the swimming pool was hidden and open only a few hours during the time most people go to dinner, there is no hot tub and the parking attendant was not paying attention to the needs of the guests as much as to the gossip of the other attendants.
The most frustrating part of my visit is that my room key did not work each day upon my return to the hotel. I would have to make my way to the front desk, wait in line, explain my problem and wait for their solution...all this after a tiring day. The security guard also thought it was important to give me and my friends a lecture on national security instead of just opening our door for us. I suppose it made him feel important but we couldn't have cared less.
I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not have a positive stay experience. It is unclear in your review why the money spent on a city view room was wasted. The view rooms are our most popular and, as commented on so many reviews, it is a spectacular view. However, I am sorry if you did not enjoy it.

I appreciate you commenting on the cleanliness of the hotel and that you enjoyed your dining experiences. While we do have new employees that are learning, they are not typically left alone at the desk as they shadow more experienced workers. My apologies tif the newer employees caused you a delay.

As of Memorial Day, through Labor Day, the pool is open 10am - 10pm every single day. I can understand why it would be frustrating not to have the concierge call you back and will alert the Director of Front Office about this as well as pass on your comment to the Director of Parking so he can remind the attendants to be more aware of our guests.

I am sorry for the frustrations that the key not working has caused you. It is definitely frustrating to have this happen once, let alone multiple times. An engineer should have been called to check the lock on the door to see if it needed new batteries or if there was a defect. Once again, I am sorry this did not occur. It sounds as if the security guard was just trying to be friendly, but it is understandable with you being frustrated why you would not take it that way.

Thank you again for the review and I am sorry we let you down. I do hope you reconsider your decision not to stay with us again. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

From the moment we checked in, I was thoroughly impressed. We arrived early (before 10am), hoping just to park for the day. The front desk attendant (who was awesome!) found us a suite that was ready and available so we checked in 5 hours early. She reminded us to come back at 4pm to make sure we got the welcome cookie (which was delicious!). The room was perfect - plenty of room for my husband & I and our three children. While we were at the zoo, they brought up a roll-away (at no cost!) and it was ready when we returned. That night, the concierge made several recommendations for local restaurants and when I said we wanted to take out and eat in the lobby, she helped me find a tucked-away spot for our family to sit and eat together. The next morning, when I went to check out (and turn in my free internet card for being a Hilton Honors member), I mentioned we hoped to visit the Sky Dome before we left for the Smithsonian. The front desk person told me it wasn't open but offered to ask the manager to open it up for us to see it - and he did!! I couldn't believe all the extra ways everyone went out of their way to help make this a great stay for my family. We only stayed 1 night and wished we could have stayed more. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Call the day before or ask at check in if you can upgrade to a bigger room or suite. If they have o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for writing a review. Wow, a 6 out of 5 star rating would be fantastic. We do try to accommodate early check ins as we know our guests would prefer this than storing their bags. While it is not always available, I am glad to read this could be offered to you. it is important to get that cookie and I hope everyone in your family enjoyed theirs.

The rooms do offer plenty of space for families to be comfortable. I appreciate you mentioning the staff members that you had positive interactions with. The Skydome offers such a fantastic view that i really recommend all of our guests go up to experience it. The slowly revolving floor makes it a truly unique experience in the DC area. I am glad the staff member went above and beyond to ensure you got to go to the Skydome prior to your departure.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return again soon. We will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The stay was absolutely amazing and Im very pleased with my selection! The staff,location and amenities were perfect for my famileis trip. The staff went over and beyond to cater to the customers wants and needs, very pleased!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family