“Being updated” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Union, Ohio
“Being updated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Rooms are being updated but the price per room is very high. Even with the special convention rate it is still high since you will be paying for parking also. Parking is underground and a tight fit sometimes. No food nearby so you eat in the hotel anmd pay a n arm and a leg. There are eating places about a 1/2 mile away worth it to take the trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your November experience. I am sorry you found the rate to be higher then you expected. The Washington DC Metro area does have higher rates than some other areas and I am confident that if you shop around the area that you will find that our rates are in line with other hotels.

We do offer many rate options and packages so perhaps another one that includes parking, would be more to your liking. Also the rate is dependent on the day of week pattern and month of stay as well as the demand in the area. Typically the rates are lower for a Thursday - Sunday pattern vs. a weekday pattern, so if your travel is flexible, please keep that in mind.

Our shuttle will drop at 23rd street upon request. 23rd street has many dining options if a guest prefers to go off-site. Also, the shuttle will go to the Pentagon City Fashion Centre Mall which has some restaurants and a large food court. I am sorry that you found the hotel pricing to be hefty, but hope you enjoyed the food.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for the review. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I once said this was a nice older hotel, but they have undergone plenty of renovations since I last stayed here, and I must say I'm impressed!

The room I stayed in seemed nothing like I remembered, and it was nice and comfortable.

One issue I had was being charged 15 dollars for a rollaway, I dont do it that often, but thats pretty steep in my opinion.

Breakfast was nice, service is nice, this is a huge property so be prepared to be slightly confused, but they do a good job of making sure you know where you are going.

There are two different towers to deal with, so keep that in mind also.

Its also in walking distance of the mall, which is great!

Good job Doubletree!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review your experience. It is so nice to read that you enjoyed the new look of the hotel. I am sorry that you were disappointed in the roll away charge and have shared that with the team. While I am unaware of any pending changes to that charge, we do often make changes based on guest feedback.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your accommodation and breakfast. It is appreciated that you noted we do work hard to make sure our guests know where to go. We have plenty of signage, but also our staff is more than willing to assist if needed.

Many of our guests really like having the option of walking to the Metro/Mall or taking the complimentary shuttle. Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Peabody
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights with a booking through Priceline in October of 2012 and got a huge suite on a lower floor overlooking Washington DC. We were most pleased with the stay and the conveinent location of the hotel and at low cost. It was amazing seeing the monument at night as well as the dome of the Capital. The free shuttle to the subway was great and ran every few minutes. The room was remodeled and all the employees friendly and welcoming. We really enjoyed our late night visit to the restaurant/lounge at the top of the hotel that rotated with awesome views. The drinks were good and strong and the late night burger delicious. When we visit our nation's capital again, we will not hesitate to make this our home away from home to feel welcome and safe and to simply gaze out at our nation's capital while relaxing in our comfortable suite!

Room Tip: Get a suite in the buidling that is remodeled through Priceline!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had an enjoyable stay. The sites of DC are really spectacular; especially in the evening and we are fortunate to have a location that offers so many rooms that enable our guests to enjoy the view.

The Metro shuttle runs every half hour and it can be very convenient. It is also nice to have the option of walking to the Metro Station which is only 3 blocks away (7-10 min walk). I appreciate you mentioning that the staff was friendly and accommodating.

I am so glad to read that you enjoyed the Skydome. It is such a unique experience in the area and I recommend it to all of our guests. Thank you again for taking time to share your experience and we hope you return soon. Please know we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Hotel staff went above the the call of duty to help all the runners for the Nike's Women's Half Marthon. The subways opened early that Sunday and the hotel made sure their shuttles ran to the subway before the normal time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you mentioning the staff being accommodating and it is nice to read that you had a nice stay experience. We try to accommodate travelers here for a large citywide event and will do what we can to make sure our guests can attend any local festivities with ease.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Valparaiso, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here with my fiancee for an anniversary celebration. I contacted Kevin Feldman who responds to these reviews before our stay, and he and all the staff went out of his way to make our stay special. The location is great for access to the Metro, and the views of DC and the airport were incredible. Our suite had clearly been recently renovated. The bed was comfortable. I wish they included hot items in the breakfast benefit for Golds/Platinums, but the continental selection included plenty of fresh fruits and some muffins that tasted very fresh and I'm sure were made in house.

Room Tip: If you're eligible for an upgrade or are willing to splurge on a room, try to get one of the sui...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your review and for contacting me prior to your stay. I sincerely enjoy hearing from people that read my responses.

It is nice to read that you found the location convenient for your needs and that you enjoyed the view. We are fortunate to have such a great location that offers fantastic unobstructed views from many of our rooms and also allows our guest the option of walking (3 blocks) to the Metro. Of course, we also provide complimentary shuttle service for those that choose or need to ride.

The HHonors amenities are not set by the hotel, but by the Hilton Honors Department. Currently, the amenity is for a continental breakfast, but I will forward them your comment as they often make changes to the program based on guest feedback. I am happy to read you enjoyed your breakfast.

Thank you again for your review and for staying with us. Happy Anniversary! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel strictly because of proximity to The Pentagon as we had an event there. The hotel has a dated feel. We upgraded to a room with a balcony and city view. We would have been just as happy with a higher floor room with big windows. If you sat in the balcony chairs, you had a great view of a wall. The suite we had was fine with one exception! The two room suite had a sitting area with one chair. No couch. No second chair. To watch tv together, we had to go to the bedroom. Seemed weird. Good location within walking distance of The Pentagon and Pentagon City Mall.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad you had the opportunity to stay in a suite that overlooks the city. To ensure our guests are safe, there is the need for the waist high wall at the end of the balcony. However, many of our guests really enjoy the fantastic views off the balcony and I hope you did too.

I hope you will contact me so I can identify the room number. Perhaps there was a piece of furniture missing from the living room as our balcony suites should have a sofa in them. I am glad to read that the location fit your need as it is a simple walk to the Pentagon and Metro.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was upgraded to a 1 BR suite in South Tower for Honors Status. Would have loved a good view in North Tower, but this obviously recently renovated suite was beautiful. Comfortable living area and comfortable king size bed. Bathroom is nicely decorated.

My only issue was staffing. Everyone I talked to (Front Desk, Security, Restaurant, Phone) were overly friendly so that is not the issue. A few things started the stay off badly. First was a 20 minute wait to check in. In this day and age, that is not acceptable. Like I said, all is friendly, but they should all be taught to apologize for waits and other issues. The other issue I am referring to is after the long check in, i get to my room and the key doesn't work. So I called from the house phone and explained. Security came up and let me in the room, but I still had to go down to get a key. Well at least no one told me any differently because I went down to front desk, had a new key made (once again friendly but no apology). About 45 minutes later someone did show up with a new key. Later, I called the "careline" on the phone and it rang for 20 rings. Called back later and asked to talk to manager to explain their service issues. Gentleman was extra friendly but advised me that the manager on duty was working the front desk and he would pass on my message. I never did get a response.

Overall, the stay was pleasurable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. I am glad we could offer you an upgrade to a suite and you enjoyed your accommodations. Perhaps if you return we can meet your request for a view room. Of course, the best way to ensure a specific room type is to reserve it.

I appreciate you mentioning that the staff was friendly. They work very hard to make sure each guest interaction is a positive one. You are correct, an apology should have been offered for an extensive wait to check in and I am sorry that it was not.

It is understandable why you would be frustrated not to have your key work, especially after a long wait to check in and you should have been told a new key would be brought to you. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. It is unacceptable that you never received a response from the Manager on Duty. We will most definitely look into this and identify where the breakdown occurred to ensure it is not repeated. I am very sorry and hope you will contact me directly so we can make this up to you.

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I apologize that we let you down and hope you read the many other reviews to realize your experience with the staff is not the norm. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime,