“Location Location Location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Atlanta, Georgia
“Location Location Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel strictly because of proximity to The Pentagon as we had an event there. The hotel has a dated feel. We upgraded to a room with a balcony and city view. We would have been just as happy with a higher floor room with big windows. If you sat in the balcony chairs, you had a great view of a wall. The suite we had was fine with one exception! The two room suite had a sitting area with one chair. No couch. No second chair. To watch tv together, we had to go to the bedroom. Seemed weird. Good location within walking distance of The Pentagon and Pentagon City Mall.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad you had the opportunity to stay in a suite that overlooks the city. To ensure our guests are safe, there is the need for the waist high wall at the end of the balcony. However, many of our guests really enjoy the fantastic views off the balcony and I hope you did too.

I hope you will contact me so I can identify the room number. Perhaps there was a piece of furniture missing from the living room as our balcony suites should have a sofa in them. I am glad to read that the location fit your need as it is a simple walk to the Pentagon and Metro.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

1,232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was upgraded to a 1 BR suite in South Tower for Honors Status. Would have loved a good view in North Tower, but this obviously recently renovated suite was beautiful. Comfortable living area and comfortable king size bed. Bathroom is nicely decorated.

My only issue was staffing. Everyone I talked to (Front Desk, Security, Restaurant, Phone) were overly friendly so that is not the issue. A few things started the stay off badly. First was a 20 minute wait to check in. In this day and age, that is not acceptable. Like I said, all is friendly, but they should all be taught to apologize for waits and other issues. The other issue I am referring to is after the long check in, i get to my room and the key doesn't work. So I called from the house phone and explained. Security came up and let me in the room, but I still had to go down to get a key. Well at least no one told me any differently because I went down to front desk, had a new key made (once again friendly but no apology). About 45 minutes later someone did show up with a new key. Later, I called the "careline" on the phone and it rang for 20 rings. Called back later and asked to talk to manager to explain their service issues. Gentleman was extra friendly but advised me that the manager on duty was working the front desk and he would pass on my message. I never did get a response.

Overall, the stay was pleasurable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. I am glad we could offer you an upgrade to a suite and you enjoyed your accommodations. Perhaps if you return we can meet your request for a view room. Of course, the best way to ensure a specific room type is to reserve it.

I appreciate you mentioning that the staff was friendly. They work very hard to make sure each guest interaction is a positive one. You are correct, an apology should have been offered for an extensive wait to check in and I am sorry that it was not.

It is understandable why you would be frustrated not to have your key work, especially after a long wait to check in and you should have been told a new key would be brought to you. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. It is unacceptable that you never received a response from the Manager on Duty. We will most definitely look into this and identify where the breakdown occurred to ensure it is not repeated. I am very sorry and hope you will contact me directly so we can make this up to you.

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I apologize that we let you down and hope you read the many other reviews to realize your experience with the staff is not the norm. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime,

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Upon checking greeted with a warm gracious D.C. welcome from Hannah at front desk. Hold on,...hold on then she throw in WARM CHOCOLATE COOKIES!(plural) i got lucky! In New Orleans we called that Langiappe(lil extra),the rest of the country calls it good service, Good start to the week. There was no SEQUESTER at the Doubletree. Thanks Heather and the staff at the Doubletree. The Shuttle was very handy also,the revolving bar was a definite plus

Room Tip: North Tower even number room are a great view of oue National Capital
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. I am so glad you had an enjoyable experience. It is nice to be welcomed with a smiling face and a warm famous Doubletree cookie. How lucky that you got more; Hannah is generous! Yes, we try to leave the sequester to the professionals on Capitol Hill.

It is nice to read that you experienced the Skydome. I recommend all of our guests go up there as it is a unique venue in the DC Metro area.

Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Efficient service and warm smiles will greet you at this very nice Doubletree but the rooms are very compact, with a tiny shower and toilet combination. Breakfast was tasty and the shuttle, shared with the Embassy Suites, was always on time and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you found the service to exceed your expectations. We work hard to ensure each guest interaction is a positive one. I am sorry you found the room to be smaller than you'd like. Please note the hotel has many different room types with many suites. Perhaps a different room type would offer you the space you are looking for.

The shuttle to the airport and Metro is a nice amenity. The drivers work hard to stick to the schedule to ensure our guests do not have to wait too long.

Toms River, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed 4/25 and 26, 2013. The woman who checked my sister and I in lied about rates. The 7th floor reeked of air freshner as did our room. The decor is dated and and worn, the beds not comfortable, the pillows flat and hard and should be replaced. The overall feel of the hotel was that it was dirty...big slash in the wall by the tub..tiny bathroom. Don't eat in the
Skydome...dirty, old, ugly...something made the ice water, club soda and sprite all tasted like mold and the server didn't seem to care...no manager spoke with us...The food was not good either..I was told the manager was Brian Atkins, but I see someone else reads these reveiws. Would never stay there again. We told several people we were not happy but there was no concern. We travel alot and this was the worst hotel experience we've had....would never stay there again. Not worth the money and the coffee is way overpriced as was the cafe food items.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very sorry that you had a poor experience and would really like to speak to you to get some more details. The front desk agents typically get the rates from the reservations system, which would be the same rates found on -line. Without more details, I can not speak to why you feel you received bad rate information.

My apologies if the housekeeper used too much air freshner. It is really surprising to read that you did not like the comfort of the bed & pillows. We receive so many positive comments on the bed/pillows. In fact so many, that Doubletree now sells the same bedding for guests to buy for their homes. Hopefully, I will speak to you and can identify the room number so the Director of Housekeeping can look further into this.

i also offer my apologies that you did not enjoy your Skydome experience. I am unaware of anything in the water system as the same water is supplied through out the hotel. This is the first I have heard/read this type of complaint. Also being I am here just about every day, I drink the water often and have not noticed any different taste than I get in my home. The Director of Property Operations will look into this.

Brian Atkins is the Food & Beverage Director; I am another manager in the hotel. It is disappointing that you did not receive an appropriate response from the staff when you let us know of your concerns. We go over each review with the entire staff and will do so with yours. Also, we use each comment as a way to improve. I can understand why not receiving an apology and call from a manager would be disappointing. Again, I hope you contact me so we can try to make this up to you.

Thank you again for your review. I am very sorry we let you down and hope you will reconsider your decision not to stay with us again. I am confident that if given another opportunity that we can change your impression of the hotel and staff. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Frankfort, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

This was the conference hotel for a recent meeting. Room in the North Tower was nice enough and had a good views of several Mall monuments and the Capitol, but heard that the newly rennovated rooms in the South Tower were exceptionally nice. A little bit of a walk - several blocks - from the Pentagon City Metro, but the hotel did offer a free shuttle every 30 minutes and a free shuttle to and from Reagan Nationsl. Staff very nice. Nice view from Skydome on 14th floor.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. I am glad you had a nice stay. We are fortunate to have such a great location that many of our rooms offer an unobstructed view of Washington DC. It is nice to read that you could enjoy the view from your room.

We have gotten great feedback on our recently renovated South Tower rooms. However, I am glad you pointed out that your North Tower room was still nice. A lot of people get the wrong idea when they hear the North Tower is "unrenovated". We have so many guests that prefer the North Tower. The rooms in the North Tower are scheduled to be updated in 2014.

It is nice to have the option of walking or taking the shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro Station. While it is only a 3 block walk (7-10 minutes) sometimes after a long day of touring or if the weather is not the nicest our guests prefer the shuttle.

I recommend that all of our guests visit the Skydome. The view is the best you will find of Washington DC. I am glad you made it up there!

Coeur d Alene, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Staff very helpful in shuttle transporation, sights, etc. This is a very safe location and made seeing the city possible and affordable through connections to metro. Attending a conference here was a good experience with audio visual equipment, ease of getting to breakout sessions and high quality food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. Having the complimentary shuttle and being within a short walk to the Metro definitely make getting into/out of DC simple. You are correct that it is more cost effective to stay right outside the city as it is just as easy to get to the tourist attractions from Crystal City as it is from a hotel inside the District.

We strive to make not only each guest stay a success, but also each function. It is nice to read that we helped your meeting experience be a positive one. Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.