“Nice updated rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Low Rates from $89!
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
“Nice updated rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Rooms were very nice! We booked two rooms on booking dot c o m and got them for $94 each per night... Parking is $26a night self park and breakfast costs $16 per person... There's a wine shop next door on the corner where you can bring your own to the lobby otherwise it's $6 a beer and $8 for wine... Walk 2 blocks to crystal city... Ask for free warm cookie at check in desk!

• Stayed April 2013
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is great that you found such a good deal for your rooms. I appreciate the good information you provided in your review.

It is nice to have the option of walking the 3 blocks to the Metro or enjoying the complimentary shuttle ride. While you can ask for a cookie, you should not need to as one is offered to all of our guests upon check in.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I only stayed here one night and it was fine, but the rooms could use an updating. The lobby is very modern so I was expecting the same in my room, but it wasn't so. It was by no means bad and the room was clean, which is most important to me, but it was slightly disappointing. My room was also larger than I expected with a sitting area. Otherwise, it was a pretty average hotel and what you would expect for a Doubletree.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am happy to let you know that while some of our rooms/suites were renovated along with the lobby in 2012, we have been scheduled to have the remainder of rooms renovated in 2014.

I appreciate you mentioning that while your room was not a new as the lobby, it is still a very good room. A lot of people take the term "unrenovated" to mean falling apart, but in this instance that is not the case. In fact, we have many guests that really enjoy the North Tower rooms. Our staff works hard to keep all of our rooms clean and I am glad to read that you noticed this.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon to experience a recently updated room. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Toms River, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Though the suite set-up is great for a family of 4 ,the hotel itself is all about the business traveler.The lobby is a large bar area and there are no children's menus in the restaurant. We were told there was a special price for the breakfast buffet for children but only if the adults also ordered the buffet. The Skydome restaurant was very nice and the wait staff were very attentive. The view of Washington was great at night.
We were very disappointed to learn the indoor pool ( a big reason for choosing this hotel) was only open 5PM to 10PM.Personnel showed very little concern for any issues.
Also be sure to check the bill when you leave. At check out I learned the added package I bought should have included breakfast but I never received the vouchers at check in. The bill was adjusted when I asked.

Room Tip: North tower is closer to pool & Skydome restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We have so many families stay with every day, but I am sorry to read that you did not find the hotel to be family friendly. We do have a children's menu available and I am sorry that it was not offered to you. I am glad you enjoyed the Skydome though as both kids and adults really love the revolving floor as well as the stunning views.

I am sorry for the hours of the pool were disappointing to you. We do post them on the website to help make sure our guests know prior to arrival. We used to have the pool open from 10am - 10pm daily. However, in the county of Arlington, a lifeguard is mandatory for all public pools and in the months when kids are still in school the lifeguard could go the whole week without a guest in the pool prior to 5pm. Therefore, approximately two years ago the decision was made to have the following pool hours:
--Between Labor Day & Memorial Day, Mon - Fri 5pm - 10pm/ Sat, Sun, and all holidays 10am - 10pm.
--Between Memorial Day & Labor Day the pool is open 10am - 10pm every day.

Once again, I am sorry the pool hours were a surprise to you, but hope you were able to enjoy the pool during your stay. it is always a good idea to check your bill prior to leaving any property; thank you for that tip. We do our best to ensure it is accurate and the large majority of the time it is. I am sorry the breakfast passes were not offered to you at check in as they should have been. I am glad the bill was adjusted, but again apologize to you. Also, it is disappointing that you left feeling the staff did not regard your concerns highly as that should not have been the case. Our staff reads every review and I am certain they will also be disappointed to read this as they do care and work hard to ensure our guests have enjoyable stays.

Thank you again for your review and I once again apologize that we let you down. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Great hotel with really comfortable beds and great pillows! If you get the right room you can open your drapes and see several DC Monuments! You are only a 3 minute walk from the Metro! When you check in they give you a chocolte chip cookie that is warm and will melt in your mouth!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. It is so nice to read about your enjoyable hotel experience. We are fortunate to have a location that can offer stunning unobstructed views of Washington DC from many of our rooms. I am glad you found the view rooms to be to your liking.

Many of our guests enjoy the option of being able to walk the 3 blocks to the Pentagon City Metro or taking the complimentary shuttle. The cookie is so good and a nice way to be welcomed to the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed it!

Thank you again for your review and for staying with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Florence, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

In making the choice of a hotel in the Washington, DC area, you should consider access to the Metro, safety of the area, and only then, the qualities of the hotel. Hotels in this metro area are almost always unreasonably expensive, and in the case of DoubleTree by Hilton hotels, many play by different rules you won't know about.

I recommend hotels within walking distance of the following Metro stops based on my experience: Silver Spring, Crystal City, Pentagon City, and Takoma. The DoubleTree by Hilton at this location was only average, and twice as expensive as it should be. But that's not the problem.

I made a reservation online after speaking to them on the phone about special rates. I made my reservation in advance to guarantee I'd have a room. Little did I know, until it was pointed out to me when I tried to cancel the reservation a month prior to the stay, the hotel states in small print on your confirmation email:

"This reservation is non-refundable and may not be changed or canceled."

In other words, they charge you 100% of the cost when you make the reservation on your credit card, and it is their policy to Never refund any of it. However, for an additional fee of $50, you can modify the dates of your stay.

When did DoubleTree of Hilton begin to take your money when you make a reservation and refuse to allow a cancellation and refund for any reason?

I'd recommend you avoid DoubleTree of Hilton hotels everywhere until they stop this "Advanced Purchase without cancellation" policy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you had a challenge with your rate. The hotel offers many different rate options. One of those options is an advance purchase rate. The advance purchase rate is a discounted rate offered to those that want to lock it in. One of the parameters of this rate is to pay at the time of the reservation and it is non cancelable, non changeable, and non refundable. You mention that you made your reservation on line, so I am unsure how this was missed during your reservation experience.

We do not want any of our guests to be surprised by this. When you click on the rate, there is a rate details tab that explains this policy. Also on the page that you would enter the credit card there is a fairly large yellow box that goes across the screen that says your card will be charged instantly and it is 100% non refundable. This box is located directly above where the card is entered. Again, I am unsure why this was missed by you and apologize that you were caught off guard.

The advance purchase rate matches the rates found on other 3rd party sites (Expedia, Hotwire, etc.) and follows the same cancel/refund guidelines those rates follow. While there is a discount offered, these rates should only be booked if travel plans are 100% concrete. Even if there is a slight chance travel plans may change, I would not recommend booking the advance purchase rate. Our other package rates and standard room rates follow the 24 hour prior to arrival cancel policy & nothing is authorized on your credit card until check in. I hope readers of this review and response will realize that while it is unfortunate this guest was not aware of the cancel/refund policy regarding the advance purchase reservation, the information is properly posted in areas that are not hidden during the reservation process.

Thank you for your review and I do hope you choose to return. Again, there are many rate options to choose from that are not pre-paid non refundable. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

parsippany,NJ, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The hotel was very nice and clean and a short walk to the Metro.The only negative is the bathroom needs to be upgrated the door would not close without slamming it and would not stay open,also the toilet seat would fall down in the middle of urinating.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you had an enjoyable experience and found the location of the hotel to be convenient. It is nice to have the option of walking the 3 blocks to the Metro or taking the complimentary shuttle.

I am sorry you had a challenge with the bathroom door & toilet seat. I hope you let us know while you were here so they could be corrected. If not, please contact me so I can identify the room number.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was so excited to stay at this hotel. Sure, it was partly because of the amazing chocolate chip cookies, but also because I have always enjoyed my stays at other doubletree locations. First and foremost, I have to say that their shuttle services to and from the airport, as well as to and from the Fashion Mall/ Pentagon City Metro station added such a convenience to my trip. Unfortunately, upon arrival, my family and I were greeted by a seemingly unhappy representative named Brittany. We had reserved 2 rooms and asked that they be as close to each other as possible. Oddly enough we were placed in completely opposite towers of the hotel and Brittany could not provide us with an acceptable reason other than "Sometimes that's just how it is." She then proceeded to not explain where the towers were, what our room numbers were, and continued to display an unfriendly demeanor, one certainly not appreciated by this traveler. My mom even tried to ask her which direction we should go in to find our room, and she said "You can read the signs, right?" Excuuuuse me. Luckily, the front desk manager was able to alleviate our anger, but needless to say this already dampened our view of the hotel. The room was typical with signs of wear and tear, though the printing center in the lobby is a plus for travelers who need to print boarding passes and such. Still, I will hesitate upon returning and can only hope to encounter much friendlier staff in the future.

Room Tip: Shuttle to and from the airport as well as to and from the mall/pentagon city metro station is a lif...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you took advantage of the shuttles as it does make it much easier to get to/from the Airport and to/from the Metro. My apologies that Brittany did not have her usual smile and accommodating manner for you. It is disappointing and surprising to read as Brittany typically gets very positive comments. All reviews are read by our employees and I am sure the Director of Front Office will go over this review with her. i am glad the Front Desk Manager stepped in and was able to assist.

Thank you again for the review. I can understand why you would be hesitant to return, but do hope you and the other readers of this review will read the many other positive reviews to realize your experience is not typical of the customer service received. We hope you will return so we can have you leave feeling much better about the hotel staff. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.