Save Saved
Ranked #30 of 48 hotels in Arlington
Los Angeles, California
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was so excited to stay at this hotel. Sure, it was partly because of the amazing chocolate chip cookies, but also because I have always enjoyed my stays at other doubletree locations. First and foremost, I have to say that their shuttle services to and from the airport, as well as to and from the Fashion Mall/ Pentagon City Metro station added such a convenience to my trip. Unfortunately, upon arrival, my family and I were greeted by a seemingly unhappy representative named Brittany. We had reserved 2 rooms and asked that they be as close to each other as possible. Oddly enough we were placed in completely opposite towers of the hotel and Brittany could not provide us with an acceptable reason other than "Sometimes that's just how it is." She then proceeded to not explain where the towers were, what our room numbers were, and continued to display an unfriendly demeanor, one certainly not appreciated by this traveler. My mom even tried to ask her which direction we should go in to find our room, and she said "You can read the signs, right?" Excuuuuse me. Luckily, the front desk manager was able to alleviate our anger, but needless to say this already dampened our view of the hotel. The room was typical with signs of wear and tear, though the printing center in the lobby is a plus for travelers who need to print boarding passes and such. Still, I will hesitate upon returning and can only hope to encounter much friendlier staff in the future.

Room Tip: Shuttle to and from the airport as well as to and from the mall/pentagon city metro station is a lif...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you took advantage of the shuttles as it does make it much easier to get to/from the Airport and to/from the Metro. My apologies that Brittany did not have her usual smile and accommodating manner for you. It is disappointing and surprising to read as Brittany typically gets very positive comments. All reviews are read by our employees and I am sure the Director of Front Office will go over this review with her. i am glad the Front Desk Manager stepped in and was able to assist.

Thank you again for the review. I can understand why you would be hesitant to return, but do hope you and the other readers of this review will read the many other positive reviews to realize your experience is not typical of the customer service received. We hope you will return so we can have you leave feeling much better about the hotel staff. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

1,067 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crystal City Double Tree for a convention and the experience was good, and a great location. We had a large group of people and we slightly overwhelmed the elevators, as everyone had breaks at the same time, and the hotel was not quite ready for this. The only other downside was the meeting rooms we used on the 14th floor were quite small and had painting going on during the time they were in use. But the hotel was very accomodating and helpful with anything we needed. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, and the location was really easy to get to the station and shopping in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had a positive stay experience. I am sorry that you had to wait for the elevators that were in use during the group break. Prior to a group booking an event at the hotel the proposed space offered is based on the anticipated attendance. Perhaps the number of attendees grew to make the meeting rooms a tight fit. I am sorry that those rooms were too small for the group. Keep in mind the hotel has many meeting rooms sized to host 5 - 400 people so there are other options available.

I am glad to read that you would like to return and we will work hard to exceed your expectations. As you mentioned, the location is favorable to the Metro and the Pentagon City Fashion Shopping Mall as it is only a 3 block walk (7-10 minutes). Of course, a complimentary shuttle is offered also which makes them even easier to get to.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Fullerton, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My daughter recently stayed at this hotel as part of her 8th grade trip to Washington D.C. According to everyone on the trip the hotel was exceptional and all had a great stay.
Unfortunately, on the day of check out I recevied a panicked call from my daughter (at 5:00 AM West Coast time) - she had forgotten her electronics bag in her room and they were already en route to Gettysburg. There was no turning back. Since this bag contained not only her camera with over 400 photos on it, but her iPod as well, she was understandably upset.

I rushed into Dad action - contacted the hotel and was put in touch with Dalton, the head of security. Within the hour he had located the bag, confirmed the contents and called me back to work out how to get it back to me. I got a follow up call the next day from Mr. Dalton giving me the FedEx tracking information and we received the bag back at our house before my daughter even got home (she borrowed a camera and used her iPhone for the rest of the trip). Crisis averted and she was able to enjoy the rest of her trip.

I cannot thank the team at this hotel enough and specifically Mr. Dalton for his outstanding customer service and response. It is very much appreciated.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that your daughter's class trip went so well. Nice job quickly going into dad mode, even at 5am! Dalton, the Director of Security, takes these types of calls very seriously and we are very happy when items left behind are found/returned.

Our staff goes over each review so Mr. Dalton will be recognized for his efforts in helping your daughter be able to enjoy the rest of her trip.

Thank you again for the review and we hope next time you can make it out here with your daughter to enjoy the DC area. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Orange County, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here for several years. The lobby update is great, and the gym us still one of the best in DC. The room and carpet were a bit tired and not as clean as usual. If you need a cab during peak hours, make sure you call downstairs ahead of time. The hotel is still a good choice.

• Stayed April 2013
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you returning and I am happy to read that you like the new look of the lobby. The feedback we have received has been tremendously positive.

We are proud to have the largest gym of any hotel in the area and our guests have let us know they appreciate the size as well as the equipment offered. I am sorry the carpet did not appear clean and you found the condition of the room to be below your expectations. Please contact me ahead of your next visit so I can work on ensuring that is not repeated.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a really lovely hotel but is on a main highway which makes it hard and a little bit scary to get about. Saying that, once you get your bearings there is a mall 5 mins away where there is lots of choice for food and the metro is right there too. (Mall does close early on a Sunday). The hotel has a few places to eat but can be expensive. The breakfast bar has a buffet (a very very good buffet) which costs about $18 each. It is a 5 min walk to the Pentagon and you are 2 stops on the Metro from the Arlington Cemetary. There is a hop on hop off bus tour which stops at the mall and takes you into the heart if DC although the metro also gets you there and is pretty easy to use.

• Stayed April 2013
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you were able to see that the hotel is actually an easy walk (or complimentary shuttle ride) to the Pentagon City Metro Station and Pentagon City Fashion Mall.

Many guests enjoy having the different dining options in the morning. Guests that choose to sit and relax can dine in the Cafe and others on the go can get something from the Cafe Go. Both offer options at different price points. We do offer some room packages that have breakfast included in the rate, so be sure to look at those options if this is important to you.

I am glad you found it so easy to get into DC to see the sites. There are options on how to get there. Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The staff was very accommodating and compassionate with the family who selected this venue and their guests. Staff was able to satisfy my check-in request for a room with a roll in shower. The room was clean and spacious. I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the loss that you had, but being your loved one is buried at Arlington National Cemetery he/she must have been a hero.

I am glad you had a positive hotel experience. We understand how important requests like yours are and do our absolute best to accommodate them.

Thank you again for your review and I hope when you return it is for happier times. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had to travel to DC for a work conference which was scheduled in this hotel. Very convenient to the airport and they offer free shuttle service- very nice. The room was just OK, typical hotel room nothing fancy but suffices for 2 days. Location was good as it was in walking distance to shops and restaurants. The conference was a little unorganized with hotel staff billing rooms incorrectly, some staff at the front desk knew which rooms were scheduled for the conference- some did not. Heard things were not set up the way conference organizers had requested.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level floor. I was on 8 and had views but colleagues on 3 did not.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found the room to meet your needs and the hotel location to be convenient. It is very helpful to our guests that we provide complimentary shuttle service to the Airport & Metro.

I am surprised to read that you experienced these challenges with your group and apologize for any inconvenience. The hotel has 31,000 square feet of meeting space and we house groups ranging in size from 5 people to 300ppl. Typically the groups run smooth and everything is pre-arranged. Again, I am sorry you experienced a challenge and hope it was rectified quickly.