“Convention Usage” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 48 hotels in Arlington
Chicago, Illinois
“Convention Usage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crystal City Double Tree for a convention and the experience was good, and a great location. We had a large group of people and we slightly overwhelmed the elevators, as everyone had breaks at the same time, and the hotel was not quite ready for this. The only other downside was the meeting rooms we used on the 14th floor were quite small and had painting going on during the time they were in use. But the hotel was very accomodating and helpful with anything we needed. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, and the location was really easy to get to the station and shopping in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had a positive stay experience. I am sorry that you had to wait for the elevators that were in use during the group break. Prior to a group booking an event at the hotel the proposed space offered is based on the anticipated attendance. Perhaps the number of attendees grew to make the meeting rooms a tight fit. I am sorry that those rooms were too small for the group. Keep in mind the hotel has many meeting rooms sized to host 5 - 400 people so there are other options available.

I am glad to read that you would like to return and we will work hard to exceed your expectations. As you mentioned, the location is favorable to the Metro and the Pentagon City Fashion Shopping Mall as it is only a 3 block walk (7-10 minutes). Of course, a complimentary shuttle is offered also which makes them even easier to get to.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

1,305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Fullerton, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My daughter recently stayed at this hotel as part of her 8th grade trip to Washington D.C. According to everyone on the trip the hotel was exceptional and all had a great stay.
Unfortunately, on the day of check out I recevied a panicked call from my daughter (at 5:00 AM West Coast time) - she had forgotten her electronics bag in her room and they were already en route to Gettysburg. There was no turning back. Since this bag contained not only her camera with over 400 photos on it, but her iPod as well, she was understandably upset.

I rushed into Dad action - contacted the hotel and was put in touch with Dalton, the head of security. Within the hour he had located the bag, confirmed the contents and called me back to work out how to get it back to me. I got a follow up call the next day from Mr. Dalton giving me the FedEx tracking information and we received the bag back at our house before my daughter even got home (she borrowed a camera and used her iPhone for the rest of the trip). Crisis averted and she was able to enjoy the rest of her trip.

I cannot thank the team at this hotel enough and specifically Mr. Dalton for his outstanding customer service and response. It is very much appreciated.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that your daughter's class trip went so well. Nice job quickly going into dad mode, even at 5am! Dalton, the Director of Security, takes these types of calls very seriously and we are very happy when items left behind are found/returned.

Our staff goes over each review so Mr. Dalton will be recognized for his efforts in helping your daughter be able to enjoy the rest of her trip.

Thank you again for the review and we hope next time you can make it out here with your daughter to enjoy the DC area. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Orange County, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here for several years. The lobby update is great, and the gym us still one of the best in DC. The room and carpet were a bit tired and not as clean as usual. If you need a cab during peak hours, make sure you call downstairs ahead of time. The hotel is still a good choice.

• Stayed April 2013
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you returning and I am happy to read that you like the new look of the lobby. The feedback we have received has been tremendously positive.

We are proud to have the largest gym of any hotel in the area and our guests have let us know they appreciate the size as well as the equipment offered. I am sorry the carpet did not appear clean and you found the condition of the room to be below your expectations. Please contact me ahead of your next visit so I can work on ensuring that is not repeated.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a really lovely hotel but is on a main highway which makes it hard and a little bit scary to get about. Saying that, once you get your bearings there is a mall 5 mins away where there is lots of choice for food and the metro is right there too. (Mall does close early on a Sunday). The hotel has a few places to eat but can be expensive. The breakfast bar has a buffet (a very very good buffet) which costs about $18 each. It is a 5 min walk to the Pentagon and you are 2 stops on the Metro from the Arlington Cemetary. There is a hop on hop off bus tour which stops at the mall and takes you into the heart if DC although the metro also gets you there and is pretty easy to use.

• Stayed April 2013
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you were able to see that the hotel is actually an easy walk (or complimentary shuttle ride) to the Pentagon City Metro Station and Pentagon City Fashion Mall.

Many guests enjoy having the different dining options in the morning. Guests that choose to sit and relax can dine in the Cafe and others on the go can get something from the Cafe Go. Both offer options at different price points. We do offer some room packages that have breakfast included in the rate, so be sure to look at those options if this is important to you.

I am glad you found it so easy to get into DC to see the sites. There are options on how to get there. Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The staff was very accommodating and compassionate with the family who selected this venue and their guests. Staff was able to satisfy my check-in request for a room with a roll in shower. The room was clean and spacious. I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the loss that you had, but being your loved one is buried at Arlington National Cemetery he/she must have been a hero.

I am glad you had a positive hotel experience. We understand how important requests like yours are and do our absolute best to accommodate them.

Thank you again for your review and I hope when you return it is for happier times. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had to travel to DC for a work conference which was scheduled in this hotel. Very convenient to the airport and they offer free shuttle service- very nice. The room was just OK, typical hotel room nothing fancy but suffices for 2 days. Location was good as it was in walking distance to shops and restaurants. The conference was a little unorganized with hotel staff billing rooms incorrectly, some staff at the front desk knew which rooms were scheduled for the conference- some did not. Heard things were not set up the way conference organizers had requested.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level floor. I was on 8 and had views but colleagues on 3 did not.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found the room to meet your needs and the hotel location to be convenient. It is very helpful to our guests that we provide complimentary shuttle service to the Airport & Metro.

I am surprised to read that you experienced these challenges with your group and apologize for any inconvenience. The hotel has 31,000 square feet of meeting space and we house groups ranging in size from 5 people to 300ppl. Typically the groups run smooth and everything is pre-arranged. Again, I am sorry you experienced a challenge and hope it was rectified quickly.

Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had to run my wife up to D.C. in order to renew her passport and we were faced with a number of choices on where to stay. As usual in circumstances such as this you are faced with several factors which influence your decision. Location, freebies, and cost always play a major role and Doubletree came out ahead in my mind for the competition we looked at.

We arrived on the afternoon of 3 April and were met by a staff member who inquired if we needed help parking the car or with our bags. Since we were traveling light I handled this myself. The parking garage is in the two lower levels of the hotel and there was plenty of room to park. We took the elevator up to the lobby and check-in was a snap. We received our free cookies and internet access as promised and proceeded to our room. The hotel has two different towers and we stayed in the North Tower. There were plenty of elevators and all were in working condition and ran quite well.

The room was decent size and was in good condition. There were a few minor cosmetic flaws with one or two things in the room but nothing you probably don't have in your own home. The double beds were very nice and the multiple pillows were much appreciated. A mini-fridge and an LG large screen TV with a decent number of channels was more than enough to satisfy everyone.

We ate at the Sky Dome that evening. The view on this revolving eatery was to die for. Great 360 degree views of DC. The food was fairly expensive, but it was fantastic. The wife had the crab crusted salmon and my son and I went with the steak.

The next day we left bright and early to handle my wife's passport renewal. The hotel provides a shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro Station as well as Reagan Airport. It runs every 30 minutes on the hour and the half hour. It is large, with plenty of seating. Considering it was around 30 F that morning it was worth it instead of trekking by foot to the station.

That evening my son wanted to go swimming, so my wife took him up to the 14th floor pool. It was jammed pack, but he had a great time and slept like a log that night. It's extremely warm and humid at the pool so if you're taking yours kids but don't plan on swimming yourself be aware of that.

Checkout Friday morning was a breeze and I would be happy to come back to the Doubletree for a more vacation like trip in the future as the rooms are very nice and the hotel is just a hop skip and a jump from all the sites.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I can appreciate some solid research in determining where to stay and it is so nice to read that after considering all the factors that the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City was the top choice!

We understand that after long car or plane ride that the last thing guests want is a long check in. I am glad your arrival was met with a friendly face and your check in was quick. It is nice to read that you enjoyed the room and found it to fit your needs.

I am so happy to read that you went to the Skydome and recommend to all of our guests to go up there. The view is stunning and the revolving floor makes it a truly unique experience in the area. I appreciate you mentioning how great an experience you had in the Skydome.

It is always nice to have the option of walking or taking the shuttle to the Metro, but especially on days when the weather does not cooperate. This time of year, when there are so many families and tour groups that come to the area, the pool is quite busy. I am glad your son got to enjoy a swim. I will mention to the pool operator you comment on the temperature outside the pool as it should not be uncomfortable for those not swimming.

Thank you again for your review. I appreciate the recommendation and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.