“Good, friendly service overall” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Rates from $99!
Ranked #31 of 47 hotels in Arlington
NJ
“Good, friendly service overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband, our 13-year-old son and myself stayed here for 3 nights. Overall it was a very good experience: The room was spacious and very clean, the bathroom and tub/shower worked very well and was very clean, the view of the Pentagon and the city was enjoyed. My son used a rollaway bed which was large and comfortable. Because it was spring break there were many teenagers in the hotel, and the pool was so crowded at one point that the lifeguard could not let any one else in. This however, is to be expected at this time of year. I agree that the charge for parking is ridiculous. I believe hotels should provide free parking for their guests. The other issue I had was when I booked the room on Hotels.com, I was told it had a "city view". But when I checked in I had to pay a $33 upgrade fee for that view. Fine, I didn't want to disappoint my son so I paid it. Then I was informed of a special deal that for $35 per day, we could get free wifi, parking and breakfast buffet for two. At first I didn't take it. Then later when my husband went to the front desk to obtain the "deal", he was told to come back for the buffet tickets. He went again even later to get the tickets and was told the buffet was for only one person. At this point I was ready to speak to the hotel manager. When we went down to the front desk yet AGAIN, I firmly asked for our 2 tickets for each day were we staying there. The front desk ladies made a face to each other, said something about it being "Hannah's fault" and grudgingly gave us the buffet tickets. Not very positive customer service. If you offer a deal to your customers, just give it! This was the only negative aspect of our stay at Doubletree, all the rest of the staff was great (particularly the wait staff at both the buffet and rooftop restaurant).

Room Tip: If you want a city view, make sure you book it in advance and confirm it before arrival at the hotel...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is great to read about your positive experience. I am glad you found the room to be spacious and clean. We are fortunate to have the location that can offer unobstructed views from some of our rooms. They are popular room types so I recommend to readers that if you do book with us to reserve view rooms.

There is a strict fire code as to how many people can be let into the pool area at one time and the lifeguards do have a tough job to ensure it is followed. I am sorry that you were promised a room type on Hotels.com. Hotels.com is a booking site that enables a room to be reserved, but does not reserve a specific room type. Requests can be made, but that is all it is. We have followed up with 3rd party sites like this to make it clearer so people are not surprised/upset upon arrival, but we can not control what is any website but our own. There are many 3rd party site that simply reserve a room and not a room type so please be careful which sites are used to make the reservation. Of course, on our site room types can be reserved.

We do have bundle deals that can be included or added to room rates that include different amenities. I am very sorry that it was not clear as to what was included and there was a challenge when you went to get the breakfast coupon. That should not have occurred and I know the Director of Front Office will follow up with the staff to ensure it is not repeated. I hope given the other positive aspects of your stay you believe me when I let you know that this was an isolated incident. Typically when a package is reserved there are no challenges in receiving the promised coupons. I appreciate you mentioning the staff in the Cafe and Skydome as they do work hard to make sure each patron is happy.

Thank you again for the review and for staying with us. I do hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

1,224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Bangor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a three-day weekend with my mother. The location is terrific, and the shuttle service to both Reagan International and the metro were regular and reliable. You can easily be on the Mall in 30 minutes. We also appreciated the clean room and common areas and the very friendly staff. There were simply no issues -- we were able to concentrate on enjoying our time together in the city. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had such a nice hotel experience. I am glad you found the location to be convenient and the shuttles to be reliable. It is nice after waiting in long security lines at the airport, sitting in cramped seats on a plane, and waiting for your luggage to be able to take a complimentary shuttle to the hotel and check right in.

I appreciate you mentioning the friendly staff as we work hard to ensure each guest interaction is a positive one. We understand our guests coming in for a vacation are getting away from the stress of real life, so it is our goal to offer a stress-free stay. I am so glad we could do this for you and your family.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We do hope you return soon! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this place. We booked the hotel because we got a great deal on Expedia on two suites with a king bed, so it was easy to fit 3 people in. The room was clean, well kept, no damage or strange smells. No issue with hot water or water pressure. The king size bed was quite comfortable however the pull out bed in the sitting area was not so comfortable. One of my group tried to reconstruct the bed using towels in an attempt to compensate for the dips and gaps in the mattress.

The hotel offered parking with the room which is definitely an advantage. It is located close to a metro stop and almost across the street from the Pentagon. It is a short walk away from the Pentagon City Mall, where you can pick up the Big Bus Tours Hop On Hop Off , a Best Buy, Costco and Macy's.

Expedia had advertised that the room also came with free Wi-Fi, however the hotel was not going to honour that until we produced the Expedia reservation print out and then they did honour it. Otherwise Wi-Fi is an additional cost unless you have reached a certain level in the world of Hilton reward points. Charging for Wi-Fi at one of these large hotels continues to be an issue for me and a major reason why I tend to avoid them. We also had an issue with being offered coupons by the hotel but then redirected to another “agency” where we were solicited to participate in a time share presentation in order to receive the coupons. That definitely was annoying.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room accommodations and found your room to be spacious. While it is nice to read that you enjoyed the king bed and found it comfortable, I am disappointed to read about the challenge with the sofa bed. I am sorry that this occurred and hope you follow up with me directly so i can identify the room number. I am sure the engineering team would like to know so future guests do not have the same challenge your guest had.

We do have packages that offer parking included in the room rate and I am glad this package fit your need. The location is convenient for many of our guests who need/want to walk to the Pentagon. Many of our guests enjoy the option of walking the 3 blocks to the Pentagon City Metro Station/Fashion Centre Mall or taking the complimentary shuttle.

There is a charge for wi-fi unless it is bundled in certain packages or as you correctly stated a guest is a Gold or Diamond HHonors member. We do offer complimentary Internet in the lobby, Lobby Bar, and the business center. We can not control the content promised on Expedia and other travel sites so there are times when those sites promise an amenity that should not be promised. I am sorry if there was some confusion regarding the Internet, but i am glad it was cleared up.

In all honesty, i am 100% uncertain as to which coupons you are referring to. This is the first I have ever heard of being asked to do a timeshare. Prior to responding, I asked others on the management team and the front desk team and no one was aware of any such offer. Perhaps you got a coupon from a registration desk of a meeting that was taking place? Again, I hope you follow up with me so I can get some clarification as to which coupons you picked up.

Thank you for your review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

gville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Quality and cleanliness, extremely helpful and friendly staff. Great views of Pentagon, Washington monument and the Jefferson memorial. Great location... walking distance of several good locations and then easy access to metro.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. Wow, it is so great to receive an A++ score! I am so happy to read about your positive experience. All reviews are shared with the staff and I know they will appreciate your kind words on their hard work.

We are fortunate to have a great location which offers unobstructed views of Washington DC from many of our rooms and the Skydome. I am glad you were able to enjoy a stay in a view room. The view really is awesome!

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is the best place to stay when visiting the Washington DC area. It is just minutes away from the National Mall. If you dont want to bother with the hustle of downtown DC then this hotel is just minutes away from the Pentagon City Shopping Mall. We will definitely stay there again this summer.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I like your review title and so many of our guests agree! Aside from being so much more expensive to stay inside DC, it is just as easy to get from our hotel to the major attractions as it is from hotels in the District.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return next summer. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel March 21st-25th and found the hotel to be very clean, the location amazing and the customer service great.

The location-I did a lot of research before booking a hotel for our sightseeing vacation and found that hotels directly in DC were way more expensive than the DoubleTree. We looked at maps and noticed a walking trail to the Metro and that it was only 2 stops into DC. We found once we got there, the walk to the Metro was under 10 minutes, and I believe the hotel offers a shuttle service as well if you don't feel up for the walk! There is also a wonderful view from the SkyDome restaurant of Washington DC! Our room was very nicely decorated, very clean and comfortable.

The service-I found the customer service to be great. Every staff member I interacted with was courteous and helpful. By reading TripAdvisor reviews before I left, I noticed how the Director of Sales responded personally to almost every review about this hotel and I thought that demonstrated excellent customer service. I e-mailed him prior to our trip with questions pertaining to our reservation (as we booked through a third-party site) and he responded quickly and answered all of our questions.

Parking-Having parking there was great, we had in and out privileges, and I was very well aware that there was a parking fee before we went (it is on their website, as well as on websites like hotels.com) I didn't find the parking rate to be excessive, and very comparable to hotels in the area.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit DC for a sightseeing vacation like we did! We had a great experience!

~Sarah,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you had such a nice experience. I appreciate you contacting me prior to your arrival as I really enjoy hearing from people that read my responses.

Doing research is so smart as you are 100% correct that is much more expensive to stay inside the District than right outside. Being our location is in such close proximity to the Metro, it is just as east to get to the tourist attractions as it is from just about any DC hotel. Many of our guests appreciate having the option of walking or taking the complimentary shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro Station.

I am glad you visited the Skydome as I really recommend this for all of our guests. While we would love to serve all of our guests dinner and/or drinks, some just go up there to take in the stunning view. The Skydome is the only revolving rooftop lounge/restaurant so it is a unique experience in the area.

Your comment on the parking charge being in line with other hotels is appreciated. We do post our parking charges on the website and give the cost to all 3rd party sites (although we can not mandate they pass that information on) as we really want to avoid anyone being surprised. I am glad you were aware of the charge and found the in/out privileges to be beneficial.

Prescott Valley, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Overall very nice. Staff was professional and courteous. Very 70's in appearance. Could stand to be asthetically updated. I chose this because I was led to believe by Priceline that parking was free to guests. Not the case. Parking cost $24.00 per day which was an unexpected expense. There are no exhaust fans in the bathrooms, so they tend to get quite steamy during a hot shower.

Room Tip: I was immediately across the hall from the ice and vending machines. The noise was not very well muf...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a nice stay and appreciate the kind words on the staff.

Unfortunately, we can not control the content that 3rd party site put on their descriptions and confirmations. We do not try to hide any charges as we do not want any guests surprised at check in. Our parking price is listed on our site as well as on the email confirmations that go out (for reservations made through us). I am sorry the site you booked through did not advise you of the parking charge.

While we do have some rooms that have bathroom fans, I am sorry that yours did not have one. I can understand why the steamy mirror would have been frustrating.

Thank you again for your review and as always I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.