“No stress!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 48 hotels in Arlington
Bangor, Maine
“No stress!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a three-day weekend with my mother. The location is terrific, and the shuttle service to both Reagan International and the metro were regular and reliable. You can easily be on the Mall in 30 minutes. We also appreciated the clean room and common areas and the very friendly staff. There were simply no issues -- we were able to concentrate on enjoying our time together in the city. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had such a nice hotel experience. I am glad you found the location to be convenient and the shuttles to be reliable. It is nice after waiting in long security lines at the airport, sitting in cramped seats on a plane, and waiting for your luggage to be able to take a complimentary shuttle to the hotel and check right in.

I appreciate you mentioning the friendly staff as we work hard to ensure each guest interaction is a positive one. We understand our guests coming in for a vacation are getting away from the stress of real life, so it is our goal to offer a stress-free stay. I am so glad we could do this for you and your family.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We do hope you return soon! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

1,057 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this place. We booked the hotel because we got a great deal on Expedia on two suites with a king bed, so it was easy to fit 3 people in. The room was clean, well kept, no damage or strange smells. No issue with hot water or water pressure. The king size bed was quite comfortable however the pull out bed in the sitting area was not so comfortable. One of my group tried to reconstruct the bed using towels in an attempt to compensate for the dips and gaps in the mattress.

The hotel offered parking with the room which is definitely an advantage. It is located close to a metro stop and almost across the street from the Pentagon. It is a short walk away from the Pentagon City Mall, where you can pick up the Big Bus Tours Hop On Hop Off , a Best Buy, Costco and Macy's.

Expedia had advertised that the room also came with free Wi-Fi, however the hotel was not going to honour that until we produced the Expedia reservation print out and then they did honour it. Otherwise Wi-Fi is an additional cost unless you have reached a certain level in the world of Hilton reward points. Charging for Wi-Fi at one of these large hotels continues to be an issue for me and a major reason why I tend to avoid them. We also had an issue with being offered coupons by the hotel but then redirected to another “agency” where we were solicited to participate in a time share presentation in order to receive the coupons. That definitely was annoying.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room accommodations and found your room to be spacious. While it is nice to read that you enjoyed the king bed and found it comfortable, I am disappointed to read about the challenge with the sofa bed. I am sorry that this occurred and hope you follow up with me directly so i can identify the room number. I am sure the engineering team would like to know so future guests do not have the same challenge your guest had.

We do have packages that offer parking included in the room rate and I am glad this package fit your need. The location is convenient for many of our guests who need/want to walk to the Pentagon. Many of our guests enjoy the option of walking the 3 blocks to the Pentagon City Metro Station/Fashion Centre Mall or taking the complimentary shuttle.

There is a charge for wi-fi unless it is bundled in certain packages or as you correctly stated a guest is a Gold or Diamond HHonors member. We do offer complimentary Internet in the lobby, Lobby Bar, and the business center. We can not control the content promised on Expedia and other travel sites so there are times when those sites promise an amenity that should not be promised. I am sorry if there was some confusion regarding the Internet, but i am glad it was cleared up.

In all honesty, i am 100% uncertain as to which coupons you are referring to. This is the first I have ever heard of being asked to do a timeshare. Prior to responding, I asked others on the management team and the front desk team and no one was aware of any such offer. Perhaps you got a coupon from a registration desk of a meeting that was taking place? Again, I hope you follow up with me so I can get some clarification as to which coupons you picked up.

Thank you for your review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

gville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Quality and cleanliness, extremely helpful and friendly staff. Great views of Pentagon, Washington monument and the Jefferson memorial. Great location... walking distance of several good locations and then easy access to metro.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. Wow, it is so great to receive an A++ score! I am so happy to read about your positive experience. All reviews are shared with the staff and I know they will appreciate your kind words on their hard work.

We are fortunate to have a great location which offers unobstructed views of Washington DC from many of our rooms and the Skydome. I am glad you were able to enjoy a stay in a view room. The view really is awesome!

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is the best place to stay when visiting the Washington DC area. It is just minutes away from the National Mall. If you dont want to bother with the hustle of downtown DC then this hotel is just minutes away from the Pentagon City Shopping Mall. We will definitely stay there again this summer.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I like your review title and so many of our guests agree! Aside from being so much more expensive to stay inside DC, it is just as easy to get from our hotel to the major attractions as it is from hotels in the District.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return next summer. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel March 21st-25th and found the hotel to be very clean, the location amazing and the customer service great.

The location-I did a lot of research before booking a hotel for our sightseeing vacation and found that hotels directly in DC were way more expensive than the DoubleTree. We looked at maps and noticed a walking trail to the Metro and that it was only 2 stops into DC. We found once we got there, the walk to the Metro was under 10 minutes, and I believe the hotel offers a shuttle service as well if you don't feel up for the walk! There is also a wonderful view from the SkyDome restaurant of Washington DC! Our room was very nicely decorated, very clean and comfortable.

The service-I found the customer service to be great. Every staff member I interacted with was courteous and helpful. By reading TripAdvisor reviews before I left, I noticed how the Director of Sales responded personally to almost every review about this hotel and I thought that demonstrated excellent customer service. I e-mailed him prior to our trip with questions pertaining to our reservation (as we booked through a third-party site) and he responded quickly and answered all of our questions.

Parking-Having parking there was great, we had in and out privileges, and I was very well aware that there was a parking fee before we went (it is on their website, as well as on websites like hotels.com) I didn't find the parking rate to be excessive, and very comparable to hotels in the area.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit DC for a sightseeing vacation like we did! We had a great experience!

~Sarah,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you had such a nice experience. I appreciate you contacting me prior to your arrival as I really enjoy hearing from people that read my responses.

Doing research is so smart as you are 100% correct that is much more expensive to stay inside the District than right outside. Being our location is in such close proximity to the Metro, it is just as east to get to the tourist attractions as it is from just about any DC hotel. Many of our guests appreciate having the option of walking or taking the complimentary shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro Station.

I am glad you visited the Skydome as I really recommend this for all of our guests. While we would love to serve all of our guests dinner and/or drinks, some just go up there to take in the stunning view. The Skydome is the only revolving rooftop lounge/restaurant so it is a unique experience in the area.

Your comment on the parking charge being in line with other hotels is appreciated. We do post our parking charges on the website and give the cost to all 3rd party sites (although we can not mandate they pass that information on) as we really want to avoid anyone being surprised. I am glad you were aware of the charge and found the in/out privileges to be beneficial.

Prescott Valley, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Overall very nice. Staff was professional and courteous. Very 70's in appearance. Could stand to be asthetically updated. I chose this because I was led to believe by Priceline that parking was free to guests. Not the case. Parking cost $24.00 per day which was an unexpected expense. There are no exhaust fans in the bathrooms, so they tend to get quite steamy during a hot shower.

Room Tip: I was immediately across the hall from the ice and vending machines. The noise was not very well muf...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a nice stay and appreciate the kind words on the staff.

Unfortunately, we can not control the content that 3rd party site put on their descriptions and confirmations. We do not try to hide any charges as we do not want any guests surprised at check in. Our parking price is listed on our site as well as on the email confirmations that go out (for reservations made through us). I am sorry the site you booked through did not advise you of the parking charge.

While we do have some rooms that have bathroom fans, I am sorry that yours did not have one. I can understand why the steamy mirror would have been frustrating.

Thank you again for your review and as always I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel during spring break with my husband and two sons aged 3 and 6 (Monday-Friday). We got a deal on priceline.

Location: The hotel was in a good location for getting into DC, especially as the hotel provides a shuttle service to nearest metro (Pentagon City) every 30 minutes. Ride to metro is 6 minutes including stop at Embassy Suites. Downtown DC is about 12-15 minutes away on the metro, served by two lines (yellow and blue). There are plenty of restaurants and a very large high-end mall withing a 10 minute walking radius. Short driving distance to many attractions in DC and Virginia.
Rooms: Hilton Honors floor in North tower. Bedrooms are standard but beds are full rather than queen size, not ideal for this level of hotel. Mattress was very comfortable, pillows too soft. Rooms are small, no fridge even though we requested one. Reasonably clean but found hairs in drawers. Free coffee machine. We stayed in
Parking: Costs $28 a day for self-park and charges applying for coming in and out.
Breakfast: Buffet and a la carte available, lots of food options but very pricey ($56 for two kids + 2 adults for buffet). Same food every day. Waiters constantly watching you and telling you not to take food back to room. After the second day, we went to the Dunkin Donuts (about 5 minute drive away)- $15 breakfast for 4!
Amenities: Indoor swimming pool, very nice with long hours and permanent lifeguard. Free wi-fi in lobby only, have to pay in room. Free business center with 3 computers. Taxi stand in front of hotel. Take-out/delivery menus available at front desk. Also many maps and tourist brochures in lobby.
Service: Average, no complaints.
Restaurants: Rooftop, revolving one very pricey but with lovely views of city. Other cafe serves breakfast and lunch.

Very large, busy hotel but well-run. Would recommend if you get a good price.

Room Tip: We stayed in North tower but I heard South Tower is renovated. However, rooms in North tower are fi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay. We are fortunate to have such a great location that allows our guests to choose whether to walk to the Metro (7-10 min walk) or take the complimentary shuttle. As you correctly stated, getting into DC is so simple that the cost savings of staying in Crystal City vs staying inside the District make it a no-brainer.

I am glad you found the mattress to be comfortable, but very sorry you felt the pillows were too soft. It is very disappointing to read that the drawers were not cleaned properly and I am certain the Director of Housekeeping will follow up on this. If you did not let us know while you were here, I hope you will follow up with me to let me know the room number. We do try to meet all requests for refrigerators and I am sorry one was not made available to you.

The parking is $26 per day for self park and there is in/out privileges meaning no extra charges should have applied for entering/exiting the garage as needed. I am sorry the breakfast cost was too pricey, but glad you found another alternative in the area. '

It looks like you took advantage of all the amenities that the hotel has to offer. I appreciate the recommendation and thank you again for your review. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.