“Good Location - Had Higher Expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rates from $89!
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Dayton, Ohio
“Good Location - Had Higher Expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

After reading the reviews, most of which were positive, I felt we were making a good choice with this hotel. I even corresponded with the hotel mgr prior to our visit to secure a city view room, which was greatly appreciated.

There were pros and cons to this hotel. If you are traveling without a car and want to use the metro system, this would be a good choice. It was within walking distance to a metro stop or you could take the shuttle. We took the shuttle the first time but learned we could walk there quicker, considering the shuttle stops at another hotel to pick up guests. Also - the views from the rotating restaurant were beautiful. The food was OK, but a bit cold since there isn't a kitchen up there. It's brought up via the elevator.

Now for the cons. We checked in early on a Friday. There was no one waiting at the check in desk; however, there was a discussion going on between the hotel staff and security that we apparently interrupted. One of our 2 rooms was ready, so we checked in (without getting our cookie, by the way) and proceeded to our room. As promised, we did get a city view room and the view was very nice. However, the room was very outdated. I understand that there is a wing of the hotel that has undergone renovations. Apparently, we weren't in that wing. Note - DO NOT pull out the bedside table to look for an outlet. Yuck! That wasn't, however, the worst part about the room. The worst part was the fact that the walls were paper thin. The first night there, we could've sworn the people next door were in the room with us. You would think that if we could hear them, they could hear us, but I guess our pounding on the walls couldn't overshadow the noises they were making. Let's just say I'm glad my kids weren't with me, because I would've had some explaining to do.

The staff was not helpful at all. The concierge told us that it would be cheaper for 4 of us to take a cab down to Ford's Theater, rather than take the Metro. After paying the one-way $25 cab fare, we decided to take the Metro from there on out. For about $5/person, we rode all day to wherever we wanted and then back. The concierge also would not help us with getting tickets to any museums that required advanced ticket purchases. I thought that's what a concierge did?

The cherry on top of the weekend, though, came Friday night when we were sitting in the lobby bar having drinks and appetizers. We were enjoying the people-watching because there happened to be a ballroom dancing convention of some sort going on and they were putting on a Tango workshop in one of the meeting rooms directly across from the bar. All of a sudden, police officers started pouring out of the elevators and up the escalators into the lobby and into another set of elevators up to the floors where our rooms were. We questioned our waiter as to what was going on, but he didn't provide any details. He just told us not to worry, that we were safe. I know that whatever happened was out of the hotel's control, but it was still a bit scary. Also, to the hotel's credit, they obviously reacted accordingly. Perhaps this should be listed as a pro, rather than a con.

Overall - I just had higher expectations. It wasn't terrible, but I don't think I'd choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: The city view room we stayed in really did provide a beautiful view, especially at night. We could...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that we did not meet and exceed your expectations. I appreciate you contacting me prior to arrival and I am glad I was able to meet your request for a view room.

It is nice to have the option of walking or taking the shuttle to the Metro. My apologies that your food was not hot. While the kitchen is located one floor below it is not typically a challenge to keep the food hot. I wish you would have told your server so we could have corrected this challenge.

I am sorry you checked in without getting a cookie. That should never happen and if it does one should have been brought to you later. We are looking forward to having the North Tower renovated next year. Our renovated rooms are in the South Tower, but unfortunately they do not have a view. While the North Tower rooms are not as recently renovated, so many of our guests enjoy staying in them. I am sorry this was not the case with you.

I really wish you would have contact me or a hotel manager about the challenges you had. We really want to try and solve a problem while a guest is here so the remainder of the stay can be an enjoyable one.

The Director of Front Office will speak to the concierge as she should have been more helpful to you. With the increased costs of Metro, it is usually cheaper for a group of 4 to take a cab ride to Ford's Theater than the Metro. However, I apologize this was not as cost effective for you.

We had a guest call 9-1-1 and that is why the police came. You are correct that is out of our control, but thankfully everything was ok. The server most likely did not have any details as we try to keep guest information private. It is nice that the response was so quick and I appreciate you mentioning the reaction of the hotel. Guest safety is our #1 concern.

Thank you again for your review. I am sorry we let you down and hope we have another opportunity to have you with us. We would really like the opportunity to exceed your expectations on your next stay. Please contact me directly as I would like to speak with you further about your experience. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed at this Doubletree several times when I visit the DC area. All of the hotel staff is very friendly. The updates to this hotel are very nice including the rooms I have been in. The shuttle to the airport and metro run frequently and come in handy if you don't want to walk to the metro. Overall a great experience.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. We value all of our guests, but really appreciate our repeat guests. We work hard to make all of our guests' experience so great that each one wants to return. We will continue to work hard to keep you wanting to return.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your next response. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel on a class trip with my daughter. The location was excellent for sightseeing as we were never on the bus for long. The room was good and clean but the bathroom was outdated. No fan. The rotating lounge at the top of the hotel is a must see for the lovely view. Nice lounge in lobby as well.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you found the location to be convenient for getting into Washington DC. Actually, some guests have commented it is easier to get to some major tourist attractions from our hotel than from hotels that are located in Washington DC.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your room. When the rooms are renovated in 2014 the bathrooms will be updated and thank you for your suggestion of a fan. The Skydome is a unique experience that i recommend each of our guests try. However, it is a nice option to have the Skydome or Lobby Bar to choose from and I am glad to read that you enjoyed them both.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was attending an event in Washington, DC and was trying to travel on a reasonable budget. I received a great rate for the weekend. I was pleased with the friendly staff, the size of my room and accessibility to the metro. I walked to the metro in the early morning and evening and did not feel that I was at risk. There were various events going on in the hotel, but it didn't limit their service. The hotel is in walking distance of the metro, Crystal City mall and a short cab ride (or longer walk) from a good selection of restaurants. It was a perfect place for down time after sightseeing in DC. My only complaint is I requested a change in my room (no feather pillows) which the staff acknowledged but did not appear to happen. I like the fact that they offer a little store that allows you to purchase coffee, soda, sandwiches, bagels, etc. in the event you do not want a large meal or need to move quickly. I had a meal at the bar and I was somewhat disappointed. It was just a burger and fries, but for the price I wanted my fries to be hot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. i am so glad that you chose to stay with us and had an enjoyable experience. It is nice to read that you found the staff to be friendly and your room to be spacious.

It is nice to have the option of walking to the Metro or Pentagon Fashion Centre Mall or taking the complimentary shuttle. I am glad you found the walk to be a simple one.

I am sorry that you did not get the foam pillows as requested. We typically respond quickly to requests and this one should have been met. The Cafe Go is a favorite of our guests for the reasons you mentioned. The hours of 6am - 11pm make it convenient as well.

Your fries should have been hot. I wish you let us know so we could have offered you a fresher batch of hot french fries. Should you return, please let me know so we can ensure you enjoy some french fries the way they should be prepared!

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Overall I had a very good experience at this Doubletree which is a relatively nice version of the chain -- overall good condition, nice rooms and most importantly a great view over the pentagon, the river, and over to washington -- ask for room with a view. There is a rotating restaurant with even more view and there is an upper floor pool but no hottub. I found the staff slightly sub-par -- unable to accomplish some simple tasks at front desk. Also note to staff: please fix the darn external door handle -- North tower, West facing.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am happy to read about your enjoyable stay.

Our location is fantastic for being able to offer unobstructed views from so many of our rooms. While having a view room is nice, I recommend checking the view out from the Skydome. It is the best view of the Washington DC area one can find.

I am sorry to read that the staff did not exceed your expectations. Typically that is our strength and I hope you will contact me directly so I can get more details. We take guest comments very seriously and will use the information to help us improve. I will pass your comment on the door handle onto the Director of Property Operations; I appreciate you letting me know about it.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had no problem with this hotel from the getco. There was free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel. We climed an escalator to a very short check in line where we were greeted by staff and offered hot chocolate chip cookies. We came upstairs to our room where everything was clean and put in place. To be truthful, we did not come to Washington DC to hang around the hotel - we came to spend all day to see the sights and to have a comfortable place to sleep: this place fit the bill. I was much more comfortable here than if I chose a motel or Quality Inn to stay at. The bathtub is a little small and the sheets are not the best quality, but if you want the best bang for your buck and still want to feel safe and comfortable, then this might be a good spot for you.

Also we liked the free shuttle to Pentagon City. The location is not bad at all - right by the airport which is just over the river from Washington DC. The closest metro is about four blocks away. The reason why I did not give this hotel an excellent rating is because its a little older and is not a luxury sort of hotel.

Room Tip: Good time in the North Tower
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Well, that is great to know that you had such a wonderful stay experience. We try to make it as easy as possible to check in. The airport shuttle is such a convenience and to be welcomed to the hotel with a smile as well as a cookie is always appreciated by our guests.

While few people come to this area to hang around the hotel, we understand that have a great hotel experience can really enhance a business trip or vacation so that is what we try to deliver. I am sorry you did not enjoy the quality of the sheets and will mention that to the Director of Housekeeping. Typically all Hilton Worldwide properties purchase linens from the same vendor.

San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

DT Crystal City is in a easy to get to location, the front drive is a little hidden, but easy to navigate. The hotel is in good condition and you can tell they are doing upgrades to the place. The lobby area is nice and inviting and has power outlets scattered about - a great find!

The room was very nice and redone well - the property is large and busy but it is controlled nicely. The bar area is center of the lobby and the convention space is behind it. The hotel has some great views of the pentagon/Washington Mon. so make sure to upgrade to that!

The front desk staff was super outgoing every time and able to fill requests quickly. I had no issues with the elevators or noise - I was right across from the elevator too! You can hear suttle noise, but it is a hotel so I expected it.

The property is super close to the airport and without traffic into Washington D.C. maybe 15 minutes? 30 minutes with.

The hotel has a shuttle to the close mall which is awesome that runs every 15-20 minutes if I remember correctly. Overall, a good place to stay - a lot of hotels in the area and this one seemed the simplest to get into and navigate around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and or pay for an upgrade to one of their new suites - or eStandby your u...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay. When the lobby was renovated, one of the guest suggestions was to include plenty of outlets for all the chargers needed and we listened so now there are plenty of outlets available. I appreciate you noting that.

I am glad you enjoyed your accommodations and took advantage of our excellent location to enjoy a view room. We are fortunate to have so many rooms with unobstructed views of Washington DC. As we head into our busy season, be sure to reserve this type of room rather than hope for the availability of an upgrade, because from March - July there are few upgrade opportunities.

It is appreciated that you mentioned the helpfulness of the front desk as they work hard to meet each guest request. We do our best to keep the disturbances to a minimum and I am happy to read that you did not experience any.

The shuttle to Reagan National makes it very convenient to stay in Crystal City and as you mentioned, getting to DC is simple. We also offer shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro Station and shopping mall, although both are only 3 blocks away so walking is an option.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.