“Decent hotel. A little outdated. Good location.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rates from $69!
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Des Moines, Iowa
“Decent hotel. A little outdated. Good location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel on a class trip with my daughter. The location was excellent for sightseeing as we were never on the bus for long. The room was good and clean but the bathroom was outdated. No fan. The rotating lounge at the top of the hotel is a must see for the lovely view. Nice lounge in lobby as well.

• Stayed March 2013
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you found the location to be convenient for getting into Washington DC. Actually, some guests have commented it is easier to get to some major tourist attractions from our hotel than from hotels that are located in Washington DC.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your room. When the rooms are renovated in 2014 the bathrooms will be updated and thank you for your suggestion of a fan. The Skydome is a unique experience that i recommend each of our guests try. However, it is a nice option to have the Skydome or Lobby Bar to choose from and I am glad to read that you enjoyed them both.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was attending an event in Washington, DC and was trying to travel on a reasonable budget. I received a great rate for the weekend. I was pleased with the friendly staff, the size of my room and accessibility to the metro. I walked to the metro in the early morning and evening and did not feel that I was at risk. There were various events going on in the hotel, but it didn't limit their service. The hotel is in walking distance of the metro, Crystal City mall and a short cab ride (or longer walk) from a good selection of restaurants. It was a perfect place for down time after sightseeing in DC. My only complaint is I requested a change in my room (no feather pillows) which the staff acknowledged but did not appear to happen. I like the fact that they offer a little store that allows you to purchase coffee, soda, sandwiches, bagels, etc. in the event you do not want a large meal or need to move quickly. I had a meal at the bar and I was somewhat disappointed. It was just a burger and fries, but for the price I wanted my fries to be hot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. i am so glad that you chose to stay with us and had an enjoyable experience. It is nice to read that you found the staff to be friendly and your room to be spacious.

It is nice to have the option of walking to the Metro or Pentagon Fashion Centre Mall or taking the complimentary shuttle. I am glad you found the walk to be a simple one.

I am sorry that you did not get the foam pillows as requested. We typically respond quickly to requests and this one should have been met. The Cafe Go is a favorite of our guests for the reasons you mentioned. The hours of 6am - 11pm make it convenient as well.

Your fries should have been hot. I wish you let us know so we could have offered you a fresher batch of hot french fries. Should you return, please let me know so we can ensure you enjoy some french fries the way they should be prepared!

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Overall I had a very good experience at this Doubletree which is a relatively nice version of the chain -- overall good condition, nice rooms and most importantly a great view over the pentagon, the river, and over to washington -- ask for room with a view. There is a rotating restaurant with even more view and there is an upper floor pool but no hottub. I found the staff slightly sub-par -- unable to accomplish some simple tasks at front desk. Also note to staff: please fix the darn external door handle -- North tower, West facing.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am happy to read about your enjoyable stay.

Our location is fantastic for being able to offer unobstructed views from so many of our rooms. While having a view room is nice, I recommend checking the view out from the Skydome. It is the best view of the Washington DC area one can find.

I am sorry to read that the staff did not exceed your expectations. Typically that is our strength and I hope you will contact me directly so I can get more details. We take guest comments very seriously and will use the information to help us improve. I will pass your comment on the door handle onto the Director of Property Operations; I appreciate you letting me know about it.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had no problem with this hotel from the getco. There was free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel. We climed an escalator to a very short check in line where we were greeted by staff and offered hot chocolate chip cookies. We came upstairs to our room where everything was clean and put in place. To be truthful, we did not come to Washington DC to hang around the hotel - we came to spend all day to see the sights and to have a comfortable place to sleep: this place fit the bill. I was much more comfortable here than if I chose a motel or Quality Inn to stay at. The bathtub is a little small and the sheets are not the best quality, but if you want the best bang for your buck and still want to feel safe and comfortable, then this might be a good spot for you.

Also we liked the free shuttle to Pentagon City. The location is not bad at all - right by the airport which is just over the river from Washington DC. The closest metro is about four blocks away. The reason why I did not give this hotel an excellent rating is because its a little older and is not a luxury sort of hotel.

Room Tip: Good time in the North Tower
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Well, that is great to know that you had such a wonderful stay experience. We try to make it as easy as possible to check in. The airport shuttle is such a convenience and to be welcomed to the hotel with a smile as well as a cookie is always appreciated by our guests.

While few people come to this area to hang around the hotel, we understand that have a great hotel experience can really enhance a business trip or vacation so that is what we try to deliver. I am sorry you did not enjoy the quality of the sheets and will mention that to the Director of Housekeeping. Typically all Hilton Worldwide properties purchase linens from the same vendor.

San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

DT Crystal City is in a easy to get to location, the front drive is a little hidden, but easy to navigate. The hotel is in good condition and you can tell they are doing upgrades to the place. The lobby area is nice and inviting and has power outlets scattered about - a great find!

The room was very nice and redone well - the property is large and busy but it is controlled nicely. The bar area is center of the lobby and the convention space is behind it. The hotel has some great views of the pentagon/Washington Mon. so make sure to upgrade to that!

The front desk staff was super outgoing every time and able to fill requests quickly. I had no issues with the elevators or noise - I was right across from the elevator too! You can hear suttle noise, but it is a hotel so I expected it.

The property is super close to the airport and without traffic into Washington D.C. maybe 15 minutes? 30 minutes with.

The hotel has a shuttle to the close mall which is awesome that runs every 15-20 minutes if I remember correctly. Overall, a good place to stay - a lot of hotels in the area and this one seemed the simplest to get into and navigate around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and or pay for an upgrade to one of their new suites - or eStandby your u...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay. When the lobby was renovated, one of the guest suggestions was to include plenty of outlets for all the chargers needed and we listened so now there are plenty of outlets available. I appreciate you noting that.

I am glad you enjoyed your accommodations and took advantage of our excellent location to enjoy a view room. We are fortunate to have so many rooms with unobstructed views of Washington DC. As we head into our busy season, be sure to reserve this type of room rather than hope for the availability of an upgrade, because from March - July there are few upgrade opportunities.

It is appreciated that you mentioned the helpfulness of the front desk as they work hard to meet each guest request. We do our best to keep the disturbances to a minimum and I am happy to read that you did not experience any.

The shuttle to Reagan National makes it very convenient to stay in Crystal City and as you mentioned, getting to DC is simple. We also offer shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro Station and shopping mall, although both are only 3 blocks away so walking is an option.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Doubletree in Crystal City. We had a view of DC and a clean room. The metro is a short walk passed the Homeland Security building. A local shopping mall, a huge one, is close by too. I wish I had free WiFi and a fridge in my room. There are lots of options nearby that have these kinds of amenities. I'd stay here again but only if I couldn't find an affordable place with free WiFi.

• Stayed March 2013
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay. It is nice to have the option of walking to the Metro & Shopping Mall as they are only 3 blocks way (7-10 minutes) or taking the complimentary shuttle.

Some of our rooms do have refrigerators, but if yours does not we do have some available upon request. Please call the CARE line anytime during your stay for requests like that as we want to meet all of our guests needs. We offer some room packages that include Internet and recommend that all of our guests be sure to look at these options to find the package that works best for them.

You are correct, there are hotels in the area that offer complimentary Internet. To my knowledge, those are limited service hotels. I am unaware of any full service hotels that offer this amenity complimentary.

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I do hope you return, and not only because others do not have availability. We will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

RGV, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I had a pleasant experience at the Double Tree in Crystal City. I have been going to DC for business fairly often the past few years, and I will certainly stay here again if the rates are the same (or even slightly higher). I was upgraded to a recently renovated suite. Moreover, as a Hilton HHonors Diamond member, the wi-fi is complimentary. And, we had the option of using our breakfast coupons as vouchers in the bars/restaurants the night before (including the Sky Lounge), which was great for us since we sometimes prefer to skip breakfast.
There is a complimentary shuttle to the DCA airport (5-7 minute drive) as well as to one of the metro stops. It is a bit far of a walk to the metro, so the shuttle is helpful. The staff we encountered were all very helpful. It is also nice there are several restaurant choices on the property; we thought the prices were reasonable considering it is hotel located in a very expensive metro area.

Room Tip: Some rooms have an excellent view of downtown DC monuments.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so happy to read that you had a positive hotel experience and want to return. We do try to offer upgrades when they are available and i am glad we could extend this offer to you. Of course, the best way to ensure you get the room type you want is to book it at the time of reservations. As we enter our busy season it becomes much more difficult to offer room type changes. The HHonors program is fantastic as it is the only rewards programs that offers points and miles. We understand that our Diamond members visit us the most which is why the amenities offered are so nice.

Many of our guests really appreciate having the option of walking to the Metro, which is a 3 block walk (7-10 minutes) or taking the hotel shuttle. I am glad the shuttle service to both the Metro and Reagan National offered a great convenience to you. It is appreciated that you mention the staff as we work hard to offer each guest a nice stay experience. It is convenient to have options of dining in after a long day of meetings or touring. Sometimes, you just don't feel like going back out and on those nights taking the elevator to dinner is the best option.

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your return and will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.