“Nice but be prepared to spend some $$$” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Rates from $109!
Ranked #30 of 48 hotels in Arlington
Brooklyn, New York
“Nice but be prepared to spend some $$$”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We booked a King Suite room & a Double bed w/ DC view room. The agent guarantee us that the rooms were next to each other & on a higher floor. When we reached, we found out the rooms were in two separate towers (South & North). My sister ended up being upgraded (for free) to a suite. She ended up losing the DC skyline view. I was told all the suites are recently renovated and are in the South tower. The room was was very nice/modern but not thoroughly cleaned. Soda & two water bottles were found in the fridge. A couple of napkins were found on the floor near the sofa, while plugging in our phone chargers. Bed was comfortable. Two flatscreen tvs; one w/ game access. Being we had a suite, it would have been nice if the room had sheets and/or blankets available to use for the sofa bed. For whatever reasons, we could not get the temperature in the room right. It didn't allow you to raise it no more than 75 degrees (Fahrenheit) so we were cold the entire night. Self-parking is $26/day & Wifi is $11.95/day. The hotel "store" is expensive, paid $20 for 4 bottles of soda (20 FL OZ); normally $1.75 each in a grocery store. The location is great, less than 10 minute drive to DC National Mall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am very surprised that the reservation agent would guarantee the rooms would be next to each other as the Hilton Worldwide central reservation office is not located on property so they have no way of ensuring that would happen. Typically they will take the request and note it, but I had not heard of them guaranteeing this before. We work hard to make sure our promises are delivered upon so I am very sorry this was not the case and can understand why you would be disappointed upon check in.

Our view rooms and suites are in opposite towers, which explains why your sister's room was not next to yours. The majority of our suites have been renovated and I am glad she got to experience a newer room. However, it is very disappointing to read about the lack of cleanliness in the suite. The Director of Housekeeping would like to follow up on this, so I am hopeful you will contact me with the suite number. This is far below our expectations and I apologize to your sister that the suite was not prepared properly.

There should have been an extra blanket and pillow wrapped up in the closet. We offer this in all of our rooms & suites. Hotel gift shops tend to be more expensive than the local grocery store. There is a grocery store not far from the hotel should a guest prefer that option.

Thank you again for your review. I do hope you return soon and we will work hard to offer you a much better experience. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

1,057 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just spent long weekend at double tree for a Hilton very disappointing. No information to tell you where to go to. Receptionist on arrival was helpful but the one at the end was very miserable and not very helpful. Rooms very much needed renovation. Still in the 70's. the revolving Resturant was interesting, so very dated needs modernising. Clean however. Air conditioning very noisy. A 10 minute walk to the metro and shops.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay. It is not clear what you mean when you say you needed information on where to go to. I am unsure if you mean in the area or within the hotel. I hope you will follow up with me directly so I can get more information on this. We want to correct whatever it is that let you down so no other guests have the same experience.

Also if we speak, I can try to identify the desk agents you mention as they often switch locations so I am not able to know who was unhelpful. I am sorry that this occurred as this should not have been the case.

We do have many rooms that have been recently renovated and we are excited for the remainder to be done in 2014. Our engineering team works hard to keep them updated and in order. I am sorry you were not happy with your accommodations.

Thank you again for your review. I do hope you return so we can work harder at exceeding your expectations and once again i am sorry you left here disappointed. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Pittsburg, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This place is a low end Hilton. Needs updating. Wi Fi is $11.95 per day. Views were terrible from room and the only great thing about the hotel was the gym. Don't expect a 5 star hotel here. It is in need of a Major remodel. One other nice thing is they do have free shuttle to airport and pentagon mall. FYI mall is very high end but there is a Marshall's across the street from the mall.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am unsure if you reviewed the correct hotel as this is the Doubletree, not the Hilton, which you reference in your review. The Doubletree was just recently renovated as our Lobby, Lobby Bar, and drive up area are brand new. Approximately 170 of our rooms/suites were renovated and we are looking forward to the remainder being done in 2014. If you did review the correct hotel, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us.

Both the Doubletree & Hilton charge for Internet, as do all of the full service hotels within Hilton Worldwide. This is the same policy found in the full service hotels of all major hotel chains. However, we do offer complimentary Internet in our lobby, Lobby Bar, and business center.

The Doubletree does have fantastic views from many of the guest rooms. Of course, these views would only be from rooms that face Washington DC. At the time of reservation, please be sure to reserve a view room if this is important to you.

It is nice having the option of walking from the Doubletree to the Metro (3 blocks away) or taking the complimentary shuttle.

Thank you again for the review and please know that should you visit us in the future we will do our absolute best to exceed your expectations as we work hard to be much better than average. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Anaheim
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We booked on priceline for 1 night and got a great deal. The hotel is not as close to the transit station as I would have liked it to be but there is a hotel shuttle that will take you there. The rooms were comfortable and average. Bed was comfortable. Cookies were warm and good. Wifi is not free and I didn't want to pay xtra just to have it for 1 night. We got to the hotel early and requested a room with a view; however when we got to the room we didn't have the view we wanted (not really a deal breaker for me). I really don't have any complaints.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you had a positive hotel experience. It is nice to have the option of walking (3 block walk; 7-10 min) or taking the complimentary shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro Station.

The cookie is a tasty way to be welcomed to the hotel and it is great to read that you found your bed to be comfortable. We try to accommodate all requests, but the best way to ensure a certain room type is to book it at the time of the reservation. I am sorry we did not meet your request for a view room. I hope you went up to the Skydome to enjoy the fantastic view from there.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I loved everything about doubletree in Alexandria from the incredible customer service to the amazingly comfortable beds. Everything about staying at the doubletree was a non forgetable experience. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. My family and I will also be visiting again really soon. #DoubletreeIsTheBest!

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your review. I know you meant Arlington and we were really happy to have you stay with us. It is nice to read about your excellent hotel experience.

Thank you again for the review and for the recommendation. We look forward to your next visit and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Where to start. Upon arrival, we find out that wi-if is not provided in the rooms unless you want to pay 11.95 per person per day. No thank you.
Next, we get to our room and find out that the bathroom light switch is broken. We called maintenance and they did a subpar job and didnt fix it. So now our light needs a few seconds to turn on.

Then we see that there is a huge gouge missing from the dresser TV stand which was clearly done by the cleaning person because it was not there on day 1.

Finally and the worst thing.
It is a sauna in here! For some odd reason we are completely unable to change the temperature in our room so it is constantly blowing hot air. We turned it off and it still continued.
This is absolutely absurd and I don't think I can last much longer.

With that, for a hotel that is so expensive it seems odd that nothing comes complimentary such as breakfast which costs an arm and a leg.

Finally, I find it extremely odd that a hotel that does not allow guests free wi-fi allows unlimited printing.

Over it.
Next time: Holiday Inn

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not have a positive experience. Charging for the Internet is not something we want to be a surprise upon check in and for that reason we have it mentioned on our website under amenities that there is a charge. Hilton Worldwide has decided that in all their full service hotels (Doubletree, Embassy Suites, & Hilton) that there will be a charge for in room Internet. This is not a hotel decision. I do want to point out that It is the same policy that is in all major hotel chains (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc) as they too charge for guest room Internet in their full service hotels. We do offer complimentary wireless to all Gold & Diamond HHonors members and also there is no charge for wifi in our lobby as well as in the Lobby Bar. The business center is complimentary and has 3 computers that can be used for internet browsing.

I am sorry that the light switch in the bathroom was not operating correctly. That should have been caught and corrected prior to check in. I can understand why that would be frustrating and even more so that the repair was not done correctly. I hope you contact me directly so we can identify your room number to follow up with the Engineer that repaired it and also to ensure the repair is done correctly.

My apologies that the room was not able to be kept at a comfortable temperature and I hope you let us know so it could either be repaired or your room could be changed. We do offer various room packages and some do include breakfast, others include Internet and/or parking. Please be sure to view all the different rate options so you can choose one that fits your needs.

Thank you again for your review and once again I apologize that you did not have a positive experience. I do hope readers of this review will also review the many other reviews that show a much different stay experience than this reviewer had. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is an older Hilton property with a revolving restaurant on the roof which provides a great view over Washington. There is a bar in the reception which lacks any atmosphere and a cafe on the ground floor which provides an adequate standard breakfast and struggles with service. The hotel is large and the reception area can feel a bit like a train station. The absence of anywhere in terms of a lounge to relax is a disadvantage.

The rooms are reasonably large although there can be quite a bit of noise. It was mostly well appointed although again there were limitations. The bathroom definitely needed updating and the noise from the pipes can be fearsome. My room was at the back of the hotel so you do get garbage noise at various times throughout the night. On the other side of the hotel you get plane noise.

The restaurants all serve exactly the same limited and rather boring menu. After a day or so you have really run our of things to eat - and you see people looking at the menu with disappointment. If you are travelling to the area this hotel is just off the main road and while there are places you can walk to I am not convinced you would want to. There is a hopping mall fairly close though and also a shop in the hotel.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for a high floor at the front of the hotel. I was on a low floor at the back...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. So many of our guests really enjoy the Lobby Bar as an alternative to the Skydome, but I am sorry that you did not find it inviting. Service in the breakfast area is typically one of our strengths and I hope you will contact me directly to let me know how we let you down. The team takes guest comments very seriously and uses them to help improve. The Skydome is not only a restaurant, but also a lounge that a lot of our guests use as a place to unwind with a drink while taking in the spectacular view.

I am glad to read that you found your room to be spacious, but apologize that the noise from the pipes was disturbing. That is not a common comment so perhaps it is isolated to the room you were in. Again, I hope you contact me with the room number so I can alert the Director of Property Operations. I am unsure what you are referring to when you say "garbage noise" so I can not comment on that. Actually, for a property that is close to the airport we get very few comments on any plane noise disturbances. I hope readers of this review will look at our many other reviews to verify this. I am sorry that you were disturbed by the outside noises as I can understand why that would be frustrating.

I am unsure when you stayed, but the menus have recently been changed in the Lobby Bar & the Cafe. The Skydome has a new menu coming out in April so with all three being different we hope our guests will be able to enjoy the variety being offered. While the mall is within walking distance, we do offer a complimentary shuttle for those that choose not to or can not walk. Upon request, our shuttle will also take guests to 23rd street, which is a row of many types of restaurants. While we would love for our guests to only dine in the hotel, we understand many of them want to get out & explore the area.

Thank you again for the review. I am sorry you did not seem to enjoy it, but hope you will return. We will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Happy Travels -