“My new favorite place to stay in DC” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates from $99!
Ranked #31 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Rogers, Arkansas
“My new favorite place to stay in DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Everything about this stay was perfect, the hotel facility is beautiful, the rooms are fantastic, staff is attentive but not too much, it is easy to get to from the airport and only a short (ok, medium) walk to the Metro. I was able to go on a morning run on a trail by the water and had a nice breakfast in the lobby cafe. I agree with the others that the bar was a little expensive but that not unusual in DC. One minor note - the entire hotel has nice Kohler sinks and fixtures and it really stands out compared to the stuff other hotels use. My suite had plenty of room and was very quiet despite being near the airport. A standout feature of the room is that there are power outlets everywhere! With all of the gadgets we travel with now this was very helpful.

Room Tip: I was in the South Tower in a suite which was fantastic. From my room there was no view (just the si...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are so honored to be your new favorite hotel in the DC area. We will work hard to continue to stay atop your list. It is so nice to read that you enjoyed your room. The good thing about the medium walk (3 blocks; 7-10 minutes) to the Metro/Mall is if a guest prefers to rest their feet for a long day of touring inside DC, a complimentary shuttle is offered.
Aside from the Metro, I am glad you found the location convenient for your needs. Unlike guests of a hotel inside DC, our guests can feel comfortable taking a nice scenic jog.

When the suites and rooms were renovated earlier this year, we did so with the idea to make it as perfect for the guests as possible. One common complaint in a hotel is the lack of outlets os as you mentioned, we were sure to provide enough to meet the guest's needs. I am glad that you noticed the sinks and found them to your liking compared to what you have found at other hotels.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me directly.

1,234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

A nice hotel, rooms were quiet. At check in I was a bit disappointed to not be greeted as a Gold Status Member, it was not the traditional Hilton check in experience I have come to expect. The bar was very expensive, $4 just for a glass of sparkling water and lime. The receiving area for vehicles was very small, even my little VW felt cramped in the drive. But there were plenty of elevators to get to my room and the bed and room was very comfortable. And the hotel was very close to all of the businesses I needed to visit as well as a great shopping area- Pentagon City.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your HHonors status was not recognized at check in. I will be sure to pass your comment to the Director of Front Office so she can go over this with her staff. We value all guests, but especially our HHonors members and need to be sure to thank them (you) when given the opportunity.

Our Food & Beverage Director often checks the prices to ensure they are in line with other area hotels, but I am sorry you found them to be expensive. It is nice to read that enjoyed your room and the location of the hotel.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I just want to say the wait staff in dining area both mornings were so amazing! Helpful, friendly, and courteous! They made the hotel even better than it was! Front desk staff was polite and very accommodating!!! Great job employees!!

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your review. It is great to read that the staff exceeded your expectations and I will be sure to share your comments with them. We work hard to make each guest interaction a positive one.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Lexington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is away from the hustle of central D.C. Rooms are large and housekeeping is excellent. The revolving rooftop Sky Dome restaurant serves a selection of foods guaranteed to bring you back for another meal. Sitting at about sixteen stories high, the view from the Sky Dome is fantastic and always changing. We used this as our base and used cabs to visit the sites we wished and loved coming "home" at the end of day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you had such a good hotel experience. The Skydome is a unique experience and I recommend all of our guests go up there to take in the stunning view while enjoying a beverage and/or dinner.

I appreciate you mentioning that housekeeping exceeded your expectations. Your comment will be shared with them.

Thank you again for the review and we hope your return "home" again soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here for business for 2 nights and had booked the package that included parking and breakfast as well as metro passes for each day. I'm glad the parking was included since it would have been $24 per day otherwise! The lobby was so much nicer than you'd expect just looking at the outside of the hotel. Checking in was kind of horrible. It took over 30 minutes standing in the HHonors line to even reach the counter (even though there were only 2 people ahead of me). Once I finally got up to the counter, the person working behind the desk told me parking would be $24, so I had to point out that it should be included in my rate. He had to check on it, but eventually said I was right. Then he forgot the metro passes and breakfast vouchers, which I had to ask for as well. Then he started to tell me where the room was but didn't give me my keys until I had asked for those, too. He had already said have a nice stay and tried to move on to the next customer before I asked if I could have my welcome cookie. So basically, I could have checked myself in better than the agent at the HHonors desk did. That was pretty disappointing, but I was still looking forward to the stay since the lobby was so nice - I was sure the room would be great.

I had booked a King room with a balcony, but I was not upgraded to a newly renovated room despite being a Hilton Diamond member. This is the second Hilton in this area that has not upgraded me despite there being rooms available. The room that I was put in did have a nice balcony, although I requested a high floor and instead got one on a mid-level. The hallways were so old and had a weird old smell to them... something you might expect from a low quality hotel that hasn't been updated since the '80s. The room was a little better, but still very outdated and old feeling. The pillows on the bed had holes in them and feathers were coming out all over the place. The bathroom was the nicest part of the room, but nothing particularly great to write home about - the tub was very, very shallow.

I used a breakfast voucher in the morning, which the waiter explained would be valid for the breakfast buffet. The buffet was pretty standard - bad scrambled eggs, various breakfast meats, home fries and pancakes, etc. There were a few kinds of fruit as well and some oatmeal and cereals to choose from. I finished my breakfast and was presented with a bill. They tried to tell me that I had "upgraded" my breakfast when I took some home fries because they were from the "hot" portion of the buffet. There was nothing there indicating that the section of the counter that had the hot things was going to cost extra. The breakfast would usually have been something like $16 - why would there be an extra charge for the food that constituted over half of the buffet???? I didn't even bother going to breakfast there the second day. Although convenient if free, the food definitely wasn't good enough to pay for.

The only redeeming things about this hotel were the nice looking lobby, the friendly staff at the bar, and the convenient distance to the metro (you can walk there in about 10 minutes or so). If not for that, I'd have rated it lower than just 'average.'

Room Tip: Don't count on being upgraded, even as a Diamond member. If you want a nice renovated room, you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. It is great that you found a package that fits your needs. We offer many different packages, but the one that includes the parking and Metro tickets is very popular. That is very unusual that it would take 30+ minutes to check in; especially with only two people in front of you. Typically the check in process takes less than 5 minutes once you get to the desk. It is disappointing to read about your experience, because we understand the check in is most guests first impression of the hotel. The agents work hard to make it an enjoyable experience, but I can see this was not the case with you. The Director of Front Office will follow up on your comments with her team to ensure an experience like yours is not repeated. I apologize that your stay got started off in a poor way, but please know that is not the normal check in experience. Thank you for mentioning the lobby. It is newly renovated and so many of our guests find it very inviting. I am glad you thought so too.

We always try to upgrade Diamond members when an upgrade is available. i am sorry that you were not upgraded. I have not heard of our pillows being ripped and apologize this was the case. We typically get great reviews on our bedding and pillows and many guests want the same kind for their homes.

It looks like the coupon you had used was the free breakfast coupon for being a Diamond member. This is for a continental breakfast, per the HHonors program. I am sorry this was not explained properly to you.

Thank you again for the review. It appears that you did not have a satisfactory stay and we would like to make this right. Please contact me directly so we can discuss this further. Also, as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

the Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stay in this hotel regularly for business. My only complaint is the the lights in the room and bathroom are all very dim with a heavy yellow color. For relaxing, it's fine. But one cannot put on makeup in those conditions! Ladies, if looking your best is important, consider what hour you will need to be up and doing your makeup during your stay. Check to see whether it will be dark at that hour. If so, you will not be able to do your makeup at the window. Consider traveling with your own makeup lights.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you returning to stay with us when your business brings you to the DC area. I am sorry that you find the lighting in the bathroom to be dim. While, thankfully, I have not had to experience the challenge of putting on make-up without enough lighting, I can understand why this would be frustrating for you. I will ensure that your suggestion is passed to the General Manager as well as the Director of Property Operations as perhaps there is a solution that can be implemented. They really appreciate feedback like yours that can help make a guest’s experience even better.

Thank you again for the review and for continuing to visit us. We look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Pembroke, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I found a special $132.00 on Hotels.com (including the breakfast buffet) and was surprised that although my son is in the Air force that the price was more than double. They let us check in early at 11:00 am .The pool was very nice on the roof, and although they are under construction it wasn't too noisy, etc. The beds squeaked a bit. The buffet was good with the exception of the eggs (they were horrible) and the shuttles to the hotel and the metro ran every 30 minutes and was very convenient. Overall I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad you took advantage of a great rate offering. Keep in mind that any rate on a 3rd party website that lists our hotel can also be found directly on the hotel website. The rate I believe you are referring to is the government per diem rate. This rate is set by GSA and applies to all hotels. The $132 rate that you secured is a weekend rate and typically weekend rates will be lower than the per diem rate as the demand on weekends is much different than weekdays.

We try to accommodate early check in requests, but it is based on availability. It is nice to read that you enjoyed the pool. We try to keep any noisy projects to hours during the day as most hotel guests are out of the hotel. This way the noise impacts the least amount of people possible. I appreciate you mentioning that the noise did not disturb you.

I am sorry you did not enjoy the eggs. Your comment will be passed to the Director of Food & Beverage. So many guests enjoy the option of being able to walk to the mall/Metro since it is only 3 blocks away (7-10 minutes) or taking the complimentary shuttle. I am glad to read that you took advantage of the shuttle.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.