“A relaxing stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Lexington, Virginia
“A relaxing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is away from the hustle of central D.C. Rooms are large and housekeeping is excellent. The revolving rooftop Sky Dome restaurant serves a selection of foods guaranteed to bring you back for another meal. Sitting at about sixteen stories high, the view from the Sky Dome is fantastic and always changing. We used this as our base and used cabs to visit the sites we wished and loved coming "home" at the end of day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you had such a good hotel experience. The Skydome is a unique experience and I recommend all of our guests go up there to take in the stunning view while enjoying a beverage and/or dinner.

I appreciate you mentioning that housekeeping exceeded your expectations. Your comment will be shared with them.

Thank you again for the review and we hope your return "home" again soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

1,297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here for business for 2 nights and had booked the package that included parking and breakfast as well as metro passes for each day. I'm glad the parking was included since it would have been $24 per day otherwise! The lobby was so much nicer than you'd expect just looking at the outside of the hotel. Checking in was kind of horrible. It took over 30 minutes standing in the HHonors line to even reach the counter (even though there were only 2 people ahead of me). Once I finally got up to the counter, the person working behind the desk told me parking would be $24, so I had to point out that it should be included in my rate. He had to check on it, but eventually said I was right. Then he forgot the metro passes and breakfast vouchers, which I had to ask for as well. Then he started to tell me where the room was but didn't give me my keys until I had asked for those, too. He had already said have a nice stay and tried to move on to the next customer before I asked if I could have my welcome cookie. So basically, I could have checked myself in better than the agent at the HHonors desk did. That was pretty disappointing, but I was still looking forward to the stay since the lobby was so nice - I was sure the room would be great.

I had booked a King room with a balcony, but I was not upgraded to a newly renovated room despite being a Hilton Diamond member. This is the second Hilton in this area that has not upgraded me despite there being rooms available. The room that I was put in did have a nice balcony, although I requested a high floor and instead got one on a mid-level. The hallways were so old and had a weird old smell to them... something you might expect from a low quality hotel that hasn't been updated since the '80s. The room was a little better, but still very outdated and old feeling. The pillows on the bed had holes in them and feathers were coming out all over the place. The bathroom was the nicest part of the room, but nothing particularly great to write home about - the tub was very, very shallow.

I used a breakfast voucher in the morning, which the waiter explained would be valid for the breakfast buffet. The buffet was pretty standard - bad scrambled eggs, various breakfast meats, home fries and pancakes, etc. There were a few kinds of fruit as well and some oatmeal and cereals to choose from. I finished my breakfast and was presented with a bill. They tried to tell me that I had "upgraded" my breakfast when I took some home fries because they were from the "hot" portion of the buffet. There was nothing there indicating that the section of the counter that had the hot things was going to cost extra. The breakfast would usually have been something like $16 - why would there be an extra charge for the food that constituted over half of the buffet???? I didn't even bother going to breakfast there the second day. Although convenient if free, the food definitely wasn't good enough to pay for.

The only redeeming things about this hotel were the nice looking lobby, the friendly staff at the bar, and the convenient distance to the metro (you can walk there in about 10 minutes or so). If not for that, I'd have rated it lower than just 'average.'

Room Tip: Don't count on being upgraded, even as a Diamond member. If you want a nice renovated room, you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. It is great that you found a package that fits your needs. We offer many different packages, but the one that includes the parking and Metro tickets is very popular. That is very unusual that it would take 30+ minutes to check in; especially with only two people in front of you. Typically the check in process takes less than 5 minutes once you get to the desk. It is disappointing to read about your experience, because we understand the check in is most guests first impression of the hotel. The agents work hard to make it an enjoyable experience, but I can see this was not the case with you. The Director of Front Office will follow up on your comments with her team to ensure an experience like yours is not repeated. I apologize that your stay got started off in a poor way, but please know that is not the normal check in experience. Thank you for mentioning the lobby. It is newly renovated and so many of our guests find it very inviting. I am glad you thought so too.

We always try to upgrade Diamond members when an upgrade is available. i am sorry that you were not upgraded. I have not heard of our pillows being ripped and apologize this was the case. We typically get great reviews on our bedding and pillows and many guests want the same kind for their homes.

It looks like the coupon you had used was the free breakfast coupon for being a Diamond member. This is for a continental breakfast, per the HHonors program. I am sorry this was not explained properly to you.

Thank you again for the review. It appears that you did not have a satisfactory stay and we would like to make this right. Please contact me directly so we can discuss this further. Also, as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

the Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stay in this hotel regularly for business. My only complaint is the the lights in the room and bathroom are all very dim with a heavy yellow color. For relaxing, it's fine. But one cannot put on makeup in those conditions! Ladies, if looking your best is important, consider what hour you will need to be up and doing your makeup during your stay. Check to see whether it will be dark at that hour. If so, you will not be able to do your makeup at the window. Consider traveling with your own makeup lights.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you returning to stay with us when your business brings you to the DC area. I am sorry that you find the lighting in the bathroom to be dim. While, thankfully, I have not had to experience the challenge of putting on make-up without enough lighting, I can understand why this would be frustrating for you. I will ensure that your suggestion is passed to the General Manager as well as the Director of Property Operations as perhaps there is a solution that can be implemented. They really appreciate feedback like yours that can help make a guest’s experience even better.

Thank you again for the review and for continuing to visit us. We look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Pembroke, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I found a special $132.00 on Hotels.com (including the breakfast buffet) and was surprised that although my son is in the Air force that the price was more than double. They let us check in early at 11:00 am .The pool was very nice on the roof, and although they are under construction it wasn't too noisy, etc. The beds squeaked a bit. The buffet was good with the exception of the eggs (they were horrible) and the shuttles to the hotel and the metro ran every 30 minutes and was very convenient. Overall I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad you took advantage of a great rate offering. Keep in mind that any rate on a 3rd party website that lists our hotel can also be found directly on the hotel website. The rate I believe you are referring to is the government per diem rate. This rate is set by GSA and applies to all hotels. The $132 rate that you secured is a weekend rate and typically weekend rates will be lower than the per diem rate as the demand on weekends is much different than weekdays.

We try to accommodate early check in requests, but it is based on availability. It is nice to read that you enjoyed the pool. We try to keep any noisy projects to hours during the day as most hotel guests are out of the hotel. This way the noise impacts the least amount of people possible. I appreciate you mentioning that the noise did not disturb you.

I am sorry you did not enjoy the eggs. Your comment will be passed to the Director of Food & Beverage. So many guests enjoy the option of being able to walk to the mall/Metro since it is only 3 blocks away (7-10 minutes) or taking the complimentary shuttle. I am glad to read that you took advantage of the shuttle.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived on Sat 27th Oct 2012 - unfortunately 'Hurricane Sandy' arrived on Sun 28th ! So we had to spend 48hrs confined to inside the hotel as everywhere closed down around 6pm on Sunday night and didn't open up again until late on Tues afternoon (30th). Our original room was up on the 12th floor of the North tower with fantastic views of DC, but after a sleepless night on Sun 28th because of wind noise and the door banging at the end of the corridor where the renovations were taking place, we asked to be moved and we were given a suite on the 3rd floor of the South tower - brilliant suite ! Kevin Feldman, one of the Managers, sent us a tin of their fabulous cookies plus some other vouchers for in-room movies and free breakfasts and discounts off food in the restaurants together with an apology that 'Sandy' had come to visit the same time as us ! We made a point of asking to speak to Kevin to shake his hand and say thank you for his kindness... We were able to resume our holiday on Weds (31st Oct) & Thurs (1st Nov) with trips over to DC - a short cab ride - to see the sights and do a tour of the Capitol building and a 3 hr Segway tour, before flying home on Fri (2nd Nov). Clearly 'Sandy' changed most of our plans - but this just means that we shall have to go back to DC to do the stuff we didn't get chance to do. This was our 1st ever trip to DC and we feel very fortunate that we chose to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton, Crystal City, Hotel. The staff were all wonderful and really looked after us. I would just like to single out Kevin Feldman for special thanks and also massive thanks to Terrance Dyson on the front desk, who was an absolute star and joy every time we spoke to him and asked him a question, Terrance also gave us lots of tips and advice about visiting DC - and you were right Terrance, we definitely will be back to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton, Crystal City !!! Thank you for a great stay everyone !

Room Tip: North Tower rooms have fantastic views over DC !
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate that Hurricane Sandy negatively impacted your stay, but I am glad you made us aware of your sleepless first night and we were able to offer you a change to a suite on a lower floor. I appreciate you saying kind things about me and sincerely am thankful that you took the time to meet with me prior to your departure. We understand that people come to this area to experience all that DC has to offer and felt so bad that the Hurricane prohibited our guests from going out to experience it. Luckily this type of storm is such a rare occurence for us, but we were proud of our staff for doing their best to ensure the guests stuck inside still had an enjoyable experience.

Thankfully though, you stayed after Sandy left and were able to tour Washington DC. It is nice that you found Terrance helpful as I know he worked hard to find the right tour for you. I am so glad to read that when you return to finish touring Washington DC that you have chosen to stay with us again.

Thank you again for the review and for all the kind things you said. We look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I booked a one-night stay at this hotel to take advantage of their "Stay and Fly" package, which included one night's room and five night's parking for a set rate. Parking in DC is very pricey, so the $213 price tag was pretty good, even if the additional 3 night's parking would cost me $24 a night.

The room was very nice...clean, roomy and modern. Unfortunately I didn't discover until AFTER I got out of the shower that there were no bath towels in the room and no bath mat. Only two hand towels and two washcloths...ok, so that was annoying, but not the end of the world.

When I returned from my trip, getting my car back was a nightmare. I arrived back at midnight from an international trip. I was exhausted. There was no parking attendant anywhere to be found when I arrived, so I had to haul my crap up the elevator to the 2nd level lobby to talk to a desk clerk. He told me I'd need to talk to the parking attendant... I told him there was no parking attendant downstairs...he said he had just seen him going back down. OK, so I went back down...no parking attendant. Back into the elevator with all my stuff...finally the desk clerk called someone...then sent me back down to the lower level again to the now-present parking attendant. The parking attendant, who barely spoke English, didn't understand the whole "stay and fly" concept. He wanted me to pay full parking fees for all nights. I showed him my receipt and my reservation printout from the hotel that showed what the package was. "This nothing. This not mean nothing. You pay or no get car back." So we went to find a manager...good luck. Once we finally found him, even HE had trouble explaining it. Overall, it took more than an hour to straighten all of this out. In the long run, I think I'd have been better off just taking a shuttle from my house in MD to the airport, even if it did mean getting up at 3 am.

Moral of the story: the hotel was pretty good...standard Doubletree. But their internal communication obviously has issues. I would have given them 3 stars if I hadn't had to dry off with hand towels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad you took advantage of our park and fly package. This is very popular with people that want to fly out of Reagan Airport, but leave their car at the hotel. It is a great opportunity to save money as with one night's stay you get 5 days of complimentary parking.

While it is nice to read that you enjoyed your room, I am very sorry that you did not have the proper amount of towels or a bath mat. This should not have occurred and I am certain the Director of Housekeeping will be following up with this staff about this. I do hope you contact me directly so we can identify the room number.

The parking garage is managed by an outside company so I will pass on your comments to the manager of the garage. However, there should always be an attendant there and they should be familiar with any specials the hotel has involving parking. I can understand why this would have been frustrating for you at any time, much less midnight after a day of traveling. I am sorry that you had this challenging experience while trying to get your vehicle.

As I mentioned we do have a significant amount of people that take advantage of the Park n Fly package and I have not heard of this type of challenge before. While unfortunate, please know this is an isolated incident and not the norm. We will work hard to make sure it is not repeated. Once again, my apologies for the challenges that you experienced.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. I am confident that if given another opportunity that you will leave with a much better impression. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Redmond, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here for one night a few weeks ago for work.

Everything here was just fine: room was clean, bed was comfortable, bathroom was OK. Nothing spectacular, nothing horrible. I'm always a fan of DoubleTrees because of the delicious free cookie they gave you upon check-in!

This DoubleTree is very close to the Reagan Airport, so it's nice to know the airport is just a few minutes drive away, especially if you have an early morning flight out. Had no problems with valet service, which I believe cost about $27/night. I thought room service was a bit pricey... my Cobb salad came out to about $26 after taxes and fees! Tasty, but extremely overpriced for a salad!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you had a nice stay experience. The cookies are delicious and I am happy they keep you coming back. I hope our service offered will also be a reason for your return.

It is not unusual for room service to be a little pricier than eating the restaurant or taking it out of the lounge. It is great to read that you enjoyed the salad. Yes, being close to the airport is a big convenience for those driving, but also the fact that we offer a complimentary shuttle makes it just as convenient for those not driving.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.