“very hospitable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Pembroke, Massachusetts
“very hospitable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I found a special $132.00 on Hotels.com (including the breakfast buffet) and was surprised that although my son is in the Air force that the price was more than double. They let us check in early at 11:00 am .The pool was very nice on the roof, and although they are under construction it wasn't too noisy, etc. The beds squeaked a bit. The buffet was good with the exception of the eggs (they were horrible) and the shuttles to the hotel and the metro ran every 30 minutes and was very convenient. Overall I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad you took advantage of a great rate offering. Keep in mind that any rate on a 3rd party website that lists our hotel can also be found directly on the hotel website. The rate I believe you are referring to is the government per diem rate. This rate is set by GSA and applies to all hotels. The $132 rate that you secured is a weekend rate and typically weekend rates will be lower than the per diem rate as the demand on weekends is much different than weekdays.

We try to accommodate early check in requests, but it is based on availability. It is nice to read that you enjoyed the pool. We try to keep any noisy projects to hours during the day as most hotel guests are out of the hotel. This way the noise impacts the least amount of people possible. I appreciate you mentioning that the noise did not disturb you.

I am sorry you did not enjoy the eggs. Your comment will be passed to the Director of Food & Beverage. So many guests enjoy the option of being able to walk to the mall/Metro since it is only 3 blocks away (7-10 minutes) or taking the complimentary shuttle. I am glad to read that you took advantage of the shuttle.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived on Sat 27th Oct 2012 - unfortunately 'Hurricane Sandy' arrived on Sun 28th ! So we had to spend 48hrs confined to inside the hotel as everywhere closed down around 6pm on Sunday night and didn't open up again until late on Tues afternoon (30th). Our original room was up on the 12th floor of the North tower with fantastic views of DC, but after a sleepless night on Sun 28th because of wind noise and the door banging at the end of the corridor where the renovations were taking place, we asked to be moved and we were given a suite on the 3rd floor of the South tower - brilliant suite ! Kevin Feldman, one of the Managers, sent us a tin of their fabulous cookies plus some other vouchers for in-room movies and free breakfasts and discounts off food in the restaurants together with an apology that 'Sandy' had come to visit the same time as us ! We made a point of asking to speak to Kevin to shake his hand and say thank you for his kindness... We were able to resume our holiday on Weds (31st Oct) & Thurs (1st Nov) with trips over to DC - a short cab ride - to see the sights and do a tour of the Capitol building and a 3 hr Segway tour, before flying home on Fri (2nd Nov). Clearly 'Sandy' changed most of our plans - but this just means that we shall have to go back to DC to do the stuff we didn't get chance to do. This was our 1st ever trip to DC and we feel very fortunate that we chose to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton, Crystal City, Hotel. The staff were all wonderful and really looked after us. I would just like to single out Kevin Feldman for special thanks and also massive thanks to Terrance Dyson on the front desk, who was an absolute star and joy every time we spoke to him and asked him a question, Terrance also gave us lots of tips and advice about visiting DC - and you were right Terrance, we definitely will be back to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton, Crystal City !!! Thank you for a great stay everyone !

Room Tip: North Tower rooms have fantastic views over DC !
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate that Hurricane Sandy negatively impacted your stay, but I am glad you made us aware of your sleepless first night and we were able to offer you a change to a suite on a lower floor. I appreciate you saying kind things about me and sincerely am thankful that you took the time to meet with me prior to your departure. We understand that people come to this area to experience all that DC has to offer and felt so bad that the Hurricane prohibited our guests from going out to experience it. Luckily this type of storm is such a rare occurence for us, but we were proud of our staff for doing their best to ensure the guests stuck inside still had an enjoyable experience.

Thankfully though, you stayed after Sandy left and were able to tour Washington DC. It is nice that you found Terrance helpful as I know he worked hard to find the right tour for you. I am so glad to read that when you return to finish touring Washington DC that you have chosen to stay with us again.

Thank you again for the review and for all the kind things you said. We look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I booked a one-night stay at this hotel to take advantage of their "Stay and Fly" package, which included one night's room and five night's parking for a set rate. Parking in DC is very pricey, so the $213 price tag was pretty good, even if the additional 3 night's parking would cost me $24 a night.

The room was very nice...clean, roomy and modern. Unfortunately I didn't discover until AFTER I got out of the shower that there were no bath towels in the room and no bath mat. Only two hand towels and two washcloths...ok, so that was annoying, but not the end of the world.

When I returned from my trip, getting my car back was a nightmare. I arrived back at midnight from an international trip. I was exhausted. There was no parking attendant anywhere to be found when I arrived, so I had to haul my crap up the elevator to the 2nd level lobby to talk to a desk clerk. He told me I'd need to talk to the parking attendant... I told him there was no parking attendant downstairs...he said he had just seen him going back down. OK, so I went back down...no parking attendant. Back into the elevator with all my stuff...finally the desk clerk called someone...then sent me back down to the lower level again to the now-present parking attendant. The parking attendant, who barely spoke English, didn't understand the whole "stay and fly" concept. He wanted me to pay full parking fees for all nights. I showed him my receipt and my reservation printout from the hotel that showed what the package was. "This nothing. This not mean nothing. You pay or no get car back." So we went to find a manager...good luck. Once we finally found him, even HE had trouble explaining it. Overall, it took more than an hour to straighten all of this out. In the long run, I think I'd have been better off just taking a shuttle from my house in MD to the airport, even if it did mean getting up at 3 am.

Moral of the story: the hotel was pretty good...standard Doubletree. But their internal communication obviously has issues. I would have given them 3 stars if I hadn't had to dry off with hand towels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad you took advantage of our park and fly package. This is very popular with people that want to fly out of Reagan Airport, but leave their car at the hotel. It is a great opportunity to save money as with one night's stay you get 5 days of complimentary parking.

While it is nice to read that you enjoyed your room, I am very sorry that you did not have the proper amount of towels or a bath mat. This should not have occurred and I am certain the Director of Housekeeping will be following up with this staff about this. I do hope you contact me directly so we can identify the room number.

The parking garage is managed by an outside company so I will pass on your comments to the manager of the garage. However, there should always be an attendant there and they should be familiar with any specials the hotel has involving parking. I can understand why this would have been frustrating for you at any time, much less midnight after a day of traveling. I am sorry that you had this challenging experience while trying to get your vehicle.

As I mentioned we do have a significant amount of people that take advantage of the Park n Fly package and I have not heard of this type of challenge before. While unfortunate, please know this is an isolated incident and not the norm. We will work hard to make sure it is not repeated. Once again, my apologies for the challenges that you experienced.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. I am confident that if given another opportunity that you will leave with a much better impression. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Redmond, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here for one night a few weeks ago for work.

Everything here was just fine: room was clean, bed was comfortable, bathroom was OK. Nothing spectacular, nothing horrible. I'm always a fan of DoubleTrees because of the delicious free cookie they gave you upon check-in!

This DoubleTree is very close to the Reagan Airport, so it's nice to know the airport is just a few minutes drive away, especially if you have an early morning flight out. Had no problems with valet service, which I believe cost about $27/night. I thought room service was a bit pricey... my Cobb salad came out to about $26 after taxes and fees! Tasty, but extremely overpriced for a salad!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you had a nice stay experience. The cookies are delicious and I am happy they keep you coming back. I hope our service offered will also be a reason for your return.

It is not unusual for room service to be a little pricier than eating the restaurant or taking it out of the lounge. It is great to read that you enjoyed the salad. Yes, being close to the airport is a big convenience for those driving, but also the fact that we offer a complimentary shuttle makes it just as convenient for those not driving.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had a very nice stay at this hotel. I was upgraded to a suite, which was really lovely and clean. The amenities available in the room were very nice (fridge and coffee maker, large table with 6 chairs, living area, huge bathroom), and the view from the balcony was fabulous (Capitol Building and surrounding area). One thing that could have been improved upon would be to have a divider between the balconies outside for more privacy and security. It was great to have the option for free internet in the room. I'm not sure about the "regular" rooms here-one of my colleagues had a very nice room in the South Tower, but the other one had a room that seemed to need renovation. We ordered room service and the food was very good but limited menu choices. The options for dining onsite at this hotel were very limited-the restaurant on the first floor was closed in the evening, and the Sky Dome was closed for renovation. We went up to look at the Sky Dome and there is a wonderful view-would plan to eat there if I stay again. The hotel is in a fairly good location, a short and easy walk to the mall and lots of restaurants.

We were at this hotel to hold a conference, and everything went extremely well. We had the 15th floor which was a really great setting for the meeting. The food was delicious. Shannon was wonderful to work with and made sure everything was taken care of. The other conference staff members were excellent as well, including the servers, catering staff and our onsite conference manager (I can't remember her name, but she was super!). Really all of the staff members from the front desk to the cleaning staff were wonderful and very helpful. Overall, I was very pleased with everything and would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 1067 is very nice and had a great view of DC.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad we were able to upgrade you and make your stay even more enjoyable. I appreciate your suggestion on the balcony and will share that with the Director of Property Operations. We have renovated some of our standard rooms earlier this year. The others, while not newly renovated, are still in good condition and many of our guests enjoy them. I am sorry the Skydome was closed as an unexpected repair was needed. It is back open and I hope you return to experience it. It is nice to read that you went up there to enjoy the view. I agree; it is spectacular.

You are correct, it is an easy walk to the Pentagon City Mall/Metro as it is only 3 blocks away (7-10 minute walk). We do offer the option of shuttle service for those that can not make the walk or prefer to ride and our guests enjoy having that option; especially in bad weather.

I appreciate you mentioning Shannon, Alexis (whom I believe you are referring to), and our other staff members. Your comments will be shared with them and the entire team so they can be properly recognized.

Thank you again for the review and for the recommendation. We hope you return soon and please know that we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Not my favorite place in CC, but you can do worse. The Hilton was $120 more, so there's something to be said for value. The location is just OK for CC, as it's a pretty good walk to the restaurant area in the south. Room was clean, so that's good. Staff was also above average. The Hilton is still my first choice, but I'll be satisfied if I have to say here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. While I am happy to read that you had a nice stay experience, please know that we will work hard to become your hotel of choice in the Crystal City area. I invite you to contact me directly to let me know what we can do to achieve this. Our shuttle will drop at the Pentagon City Mall which has a large food court and also at 23rd street (upon request) which has a lot of different types of restaurants.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Clackamas, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

As a Honors Gold - I received an upgraded room to a junior suite & daily continental breakfast. Room had a recent updated look - clean & quiet. Not much of a view - looked at condos only a few feet away.

Hotel is only a short walk to the Metro. I walked instead of taking the shuttle - as it was so close. CVS drugstore had beverages & snacks to take back to my room.

My only some what negative comment - the normal higher cost of the hotel restaurant meals.

Loved the sights of DC once again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. I am glad we were able to offer you an upgrade. We try to offer this to HHonors members when it is available. Of course, the best way for a guest to ensure getting the room type he/she wants is to reserve it as upgrades are not always available. Our suites are located in the South Tower and our view rooms are located in the North Tower.

The option of taking the shuttle to the Metro or walking (7-10 minute walk; 3 blocks) is a great convenience to our guests. Many guests, like yourself, prefer the short walk, but in tough weather or for guests that can not make the walk the shuttle is a fantastic amenity.

I am sorry that costs of our meals were higher than you would have liked. There are restaurants of all different types of cuisine in the area and hope you found one to your liking.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon.